Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Unrelated to the topic, but it’s seem that Burger King will have promo toys for the Detective Pikachu movie.:

Makes me wonder if Sonic will get something similar to this. Maybe toys from Sonic Drive-In?

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Unrelated to the topic, but it’s seem that Burger King will have promo toys for the Detective Pikachu movie.:

Makes me wonder if Sonic will get something similar to this. Maybe toys from Sonic Drive-In?

I think if the Sonic Drive-in was going to do anything Sonic the Hedgehog-related, it would have happened much sooner.  Quite possibly the restaurant is averse to the idea because they're sick of being hit with so many jokes about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I think if the Sonic Drive-in was going to do anything Sonic the Hedgehog-related, it would have happened much sooner.  Quite possibly the restaurant is averse to the idea because they're sick of being hit with so many jokes about it.

True, but at the same time they obviously have a good relationship with Paramount. So the wheels are greased so-to-speak. If it ever was going to happen, the stars are aligned for it here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Random thought: I wonder if James Marsden's character Tom, is a subtle reference to Sega of America president Tom Kalinske?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

43 minutes ago, Myst said:

Random thought: I wonder if James Marsden's character Tom, is a subtle reference to Sega of America president Tom Kalinske?

He's a reference to Thomas the Tank Engine, another famous blue character. 

• My Emmerdoods 1

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

He's a reference to Thomas the Tank Engine, another famous blue character. 

I thought he was a reference to comedian Thomas Lennon.

47 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I thought he was a reference to comedian Thomas Lennon.

No no, he's a clear reference to Tom Hanks, specifically his role as...*flips through notecards* Woody.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

More books based on the movie seem to be listed on the Barnes and Noble website.

Sources:

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/1131006015?ean=9780593093931

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/1131006016?ean=9780593093023

To be fair, neither of these books are actually based off the movie. They simply say 'just in time for his upcoming movie' in the descriptions.

I'm still nervous about this movie actually being released. Wondercon was today and showed off some big Hollywood movies like X-Men & Child's Play. Once again, no mention of Sonic.

Last time Paramount was this quiet about a project was Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling, which was eventually cancelled, despite being 100% finished.

It's nice to hear talk with cast members like Ben Schwartz or Debs Howard, or see merchandise listings on Amazon and such, but until Paramount themselves actually say SOMETHING about the movie, I'm going to assume the worst.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Myst said:

To be fair, neither of these books are actually based off the movie. They simply say 'just in time for his upcoming movie' in the descriptions.

I'm still nervous about this movie actually being released. Wondercon was today and showed off some big Hollywood movies like X-Men & Child's Play. Once again, no mention of Sonic.

Last time Paramount was this quiet about a project was Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling, which was eventually cancelled, despite being 100% finished.

It's nice to hear talk with cast members like Ben Schwartz or Debs Howard, or see merchandise listings on Amazon and such, but until Paramount themselves actually say SOMETHING about the movie, I'm going to assume the worst.

Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling wasn't cancelled. It just hasn't been released yet. Though Paramount is indeed being suspiciously quiet about it, even though it was finished literally over a year ago. Nickelodeon isn't really the best company in my opinion (I used to know some people who worked there). They tend to be delusional and oblivious for the sake of greed. I wish an executive there actually cared about quality, or I hope the new president at least improves upon this. Cyma Zarghami didn't sound like that good of a person/president.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

10 hours ago, Myst said:

Wondercon was today and showed off some big Hollywood movies like X-Men & Child's Play. Once again, no mention of Sonic.

There's a lot of movies and a lot of conventions you will not get every movie at every convention.

Paramount are doing a thing on Thursday.

Paramount Pictures Invites You to an Exclusive Presentation Highlighting its Upcoming Slate

https://cinemacon.com/schedule#horizontalTab5

i can't wait for this to get released. not because i'm looking forward to it, but because i just want to get it over with.

i hope that one day, i'll see a teaser, or a full trailer for a video game movie and walk away from it thinking 'hey, this looks pretty good!'

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty much confirmed to be shown at CinemaCon which starts tomorrow.

Paramount will soon release a pair of kid-centric films, including “Dora and the Lost City of Gold,” which just debuted its first trailer, along with “Sonic the Hedgehog,” which is due for its own first-look footage (after some strange online backlash around its first posters, the film needs a kick in the pants).

Keep in mind that Paramount doesn’t start their presentation until Thursday. We may not likely see it, but we may get a description of what the movie is like, just like Bumblebee, which the trailer wasn’t released to the public until June.:

https://comicbook.com/movies/amp/2018/04/26/first-bumblebee-footage-transformers-cinemacon/

Source of the article: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/cinemacon-2019-first-looks-trailer-debuts-studios-1202052586/

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Too Many Rings 1

4 hours ago, blueblur98 said:

i can't wait for this to get released. not because i'm looking forward to it, but because i just want to get it over with.

i hope that one day, i'll see a teaser, or a full trailer for a video game movie and walk away from it thinking 'hey, this looks pretty good!'

For many, Detective Pikachu was that.

37 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

For many, Detective Pikachu was that.

I never quite understood the appeal of Pokemon. 😕 

35 minutes ago, Myst said:

Traveling the world and seeing tons of unique and creative creatures, plus asserting your dominance over children and criminal organizations.

1 hour ago, Myst said:

You throw balls at monsters to make them your pocket men, and then use your pocket man to fight other people with pocket men.

2 hours ago, Myst said:

1 hour ago, DreamSaturn said:

Traveling the world and seeing tons of unique and creative creatures, plus asserting your dominance over children and criminal organizations.

31 minutes ago, Razule said:

You throw balls at monsters to make them your pocket men, and then use your pocket man to fight other people with pocket men.

In all seriousness, I can relate to people who don't find Pokemon appealing since that's generally my thoughts on it too these days.  I used to love it, but now it's worn out its welcome to me. 

DreamSaturn named some things about the series that are cool on paper, but the games themselves dilute that coolness.  The world you travel looks abstract, runs on abstract rules and is barely interactive, the creatures' abilities are told, not shown, affecting things only in the limited ways the games say they can affect things, no matter how much their lore and common sense imply otherwise.  The gameplay isn't bad at all, although it may not appeal to those who prefer action-oriented gameplay, but compared to a lot of other successful games the Pokemon games don't offer much besides gameplay.  Finally, the plots are mostly about tournaments; by far the dullest excuse for conflict ever to appear in plots.  Success in tournaments is meaningless to me, in a way that a plot about thwarting a villain, even if very simple and abstract, is not.

That said, Detective Pikachu seems to take everything I still actually like about Pokemon and make a plot based on them instead.  The title characters aren't trying to be the best or catch-em-all; they're solving a crime and bonding, and the Pokemon aren't just competing in tournaments; they're doing all sorts of things that put the drama of their abilities on full display.  Also, even if I didn't like the Pokemon themselves, I would still salute a movie based on Pokemon for including them since they're what a lot of fans want to see and what are pitched at newcomers to the series.  Compared to that, this film's low levels of fanservice look downright pitiful in comparison.

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

In all seriousness, I can relate to people who don't find Pokemon appealing since that's generally my thoughts on it too these days.  I used to love it, but now it's worn out its welcome to me. 

DreamSaturn named some things about the series that are cool on paper, but the games themselves dilute that coolness.  The world you travel looks abstract, runs on abstract rules and is barely interactive, the creatures' abilities are told, not shown, affecting things only in the limited ways the games say they can affect things, no matter how much their lore and common sense imply otherwise.  The gameplay isn't bad at all, although it may not appeal to those who prefer action-oriented gameplay, but compared to a lot of other successful games the Pokemon games don't offer much besides gameplay.  Finally, the plots are mostly about tournaments; by far the dullest excuse for conflict ever to appear in plots.  Success in tournaments is meaningless to me, in a way that a plot about thwarting a villain, even if very simple and abstract, is not.

That said, Detective Pikachu seems to take everything I still actually like about Pokemon and make a plot based on them instead.  The title characters aren't trying to be the best or catch-em-all; they're solving a crime and bonding, and the Pokemon aren't just competing in tournaments; they're doing all sorts of things that put the drama of their abilities on full display.  Also, even if I didn't like the Pokemon themselves, I would still salute a movie based on Pokemon for including them since they're what a lot of fans want to see and what are pitched at newcomers to the series.  Compared to that, this film's low levels of fanservice look downright pitiful in comparison.

The fart/poop jokes found in the recent trailers don't show promise...

8 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

The fart/poop jokes found in the recent trailers don't show promise...

Which jokes? There are none that I have seen.

I truly pity people who let the presence of certain types of things ruin a movie for them, as opposed to considering the movie to be the sum of all its parts, even if some of those parts are negative.

6 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

So there’s a chance we get something this week?

Probably just a write-up of what was shown unless theres a NDA that delays it.

• Thumbs Up 1