Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Probably just a write-up of what was shown unless theres a NDA that delays it.

That and a flood of "leakers" whom will have claimed to have seen it and are willing to share their hot take for the requisite 5 min of fame.

Trust only the most verified of sources.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, MrPolynomialX said:

The fart/poop jokes found in the recent trailers don't show promise...

Its a little discouraging but so far those jokes have been dialog-jokes anyway which to me just seems like low-key Deadpool jokes appropriate for kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

In all seriousness, I can relate to people who don't find Pokemon appealing since that's generally my thoughts on it too these days.  I used to love it, but now it's worn out its welcome to me. 

This doesn't make sense.

Used to like it.

Doesn't see the appeal.

Relates to people who didn't like it to begin with.

Where is the sauce?

Yeeeeah this movie just isn't happening guys. Been looking up Cinemacon stuff on Twitter & Instagram. There's tons of posters for every movie coming out this year. Avengers, Child's Play, Detective Pikachu, Addams Family, Secret Life of Pets 2, Dora, Toy Story 4, Aladdin, Lion King, X-Men, Shazam, Missing Link, Spider-Man, MIB, Hobbs & Shaw..

Surprise, surprise, no Sonic. 

If Paramount had any confidence in this movie at all (Or even plans on RELEASING it at all) they'd have posters of it alongside Pikachu and other kid-centric films releasing this year.

27 minutes ago, Myst said:

Yeeeeah this movie just isn't happening guys. Been looking up Cinemacon stuff on Twitter & Instagram. There's tons of posters for every movie coming out this year. Avengers, Child's Play, Detective Pikachu, Addams Family, Secret Life of Pets 2, Dora, Toy Story 4, Aladdin, Lion King, X-Men, Shazam, Missing Link, Spider-Man, MIB, Hobbs & Shaw..

Surprise, surprise, no Sonic. 

If Paramount had any confidence in this movie at all (Or even plans on RELEASING it at all) they'd have posters of it alongside Pikachu and other kid-centric films releasing this year.

Paramount's panel at Cinemacon doesn't start until the 4th. Also once again, Sonic movie related stuff not releasing at this time is completely normal for a film (I'm still shocked people kept begging for a trailer during February when trailers don't release that early).

But also I'm gonna sound like a hypocrite for a second:

I know I've been overly emphasizing this, and I kind of started the rumor that the trailer will come out during Detective Pikachu (and I'm still not doubting that theory), but what if we end up getting it during Shazam? Paramount will likely display a trailer or footage or something at Cinemacon, so what if like the next day (which is when Shazam comes out), they end up releasing it?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Paramount's panel at Cinemacon doesn't start until the 4th. Also once again, Sonic movie related stuff not releasing at this time is completely normal for a film (I'm still shocked people kept begging for a trailer during February when trailers don't release that early).

But also I'm gonna sound like a hypocrite for a second:

I know I've been overly emphasizing this, and I kind of started the rumor that the trailer will come out during Detective Pikachu (and I'm still not doubting that theory), but what if we end up getting it during Shazam? Paramount will likely display a trailer or footage or something at Cinemacon, so what if like the next day (which is when Shazam comes out), they end up releasing it?

That would be cool. I kind of want to see Shazam anyway, but if there's a Sonic teaser attached, I'M THERE.

29 minutes ago, Myst said:

Well, Guess I spoke too soon.

Wow. They used the poster that was seen in theaters a few months ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love that this movie is a laughing stock by everyone. 

God this franchise will be so bad of its legs after this movie. If they don't quickly fix it by announcing Mania 2, I'll probably be fully out of the loop. Let's face it, Sonic Team's game will be another shit one.

• My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

1 hour ago, Jango said:

I love that this movie is a laughing stock by everyone. 

God this franchise will be so bad of its legs after this movie. If they don't quickly fix it by announcing Mania 2, I'll probably be fully out of the loop. Let's face it, Sonic Team's game will be another shit one.

Meanwhile IDW and TSR are alright but really don’t change anything in the end, and Boom’s gone belly-up... we need a Mania II, badly. 

Same poster spotted again, although this one seems to be shaped differently.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but that tweet a week or two back said something about if the Sonic movie is negatively recieved at CinemaCon, then it's going straight to Netflix. Could that be why Paramount didn't make a new poster? Are they still unsure about releasing this in theaters?

• Thumbs Up 1

Not all, but a majority of the best things about the Sonic franchise these days are often the things that get the least amount of publicity. No doubt. 

58 minutes ago, Myst said:

Same poster spotted again, although this one seems to be shaped differently.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but that tweet a week or two back said something about if the Sonic movie is negatively recieved at CinemaCon, then it's going straight to Netflix. Could that be why Paramount didn't make a new poster? Are they still unsure about releasing this in theaters?

Dude, I have no idea why you've become so worried about this movie but Cinemacon is not where they screen movies. Paramount is not sending their tentpole release to Netflix. And last time they showed a teaser, it was received positively. 

That Twitter dude was trying to start bullcrap, likely because he hates the movie 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Not all, but a majority of the best things about the Sonic franchise these days are often the things that get the least amount of publicity. No doubt. 

Which would you consider the best things about this franchise?

59 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Dude, I have no idea why you've become so worried about this movie but Cinemacon is not where they screen movies. Paramount is not sending their tentpole release to Netflix. And last time they showed a teaser, it was received positively. 

That Twitter dude was trying to start bullcrap, likely because he hates the movie 

Isn't it unconfirmed that any teaser has been shown yet?  That's not impossible, given that we don't know if enough of it is even complete enough to show.  We have only the word of random people, with unverified connections, to say the teaser exists, they've seen it and it looks good.  

Also even if we assume these people are telling the truth, "good" is subjective, and the criteria needed to call something both a good movie and a Sonic movie are stricter than for just a good movie.  A Sonic movie that uses a buddy cop format, none of Sonic's game friends and Sonic's game enemy only looking like himself at the very end, and uses "Gangster's Paradise" in its trailer, does not sound like what I'd call a good Sonic movie.

Anyone can say "I laughed."  Anyone can say "The rest of the audience laughed."  That anyone might even be telling the truth.  However, if the same anyone also gives descriptions of the movie that sound uninteresting to me, why should I care?  Either such people are telling the truth and I haven't heard of anything that interests me in the movie, or they're lying and I haven't heard of anything that interests me in the movie.

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

And last time they showed a teaser, it was received positively.

Was it? By most accounts off the top of my head they were actually received pretty poorly. Unless you mean someone who claimed to see a screening and post their impressions, wherein you get the same problem - you're expected to take their word for it with little to show for it.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Me personally? The tidbits about the series that take the most advantage of what it can do with its world and characters are often what I consider to be the best things about it. Things like those Sonic Channel comics they put out for the 25th anniversary that was front loaded with fanservice and tidbits that only hardcore fans would know and care about for example. It's not something the mainstream would ever know or find out about though. 

There's stuff like the IDW comics that, while they sell well, definitely aren't pushed as hard as the Big the Cat memes on their official twitter. Any good that TSR has would undoubtedly be outshined by something like Forces should another one of those come out, simply because it's a mainstream 3D platformer. Then there's all the creative fan projects, such as artwork and fan-games, that get recognized on the Internet, but even if they gain traction time will pass and people will either move onto the next thing or it'll remain what it is and not much else.

That's kind of what makes Mania such an outlier. 

Really, this wouldn't be a problem if the games just got a little better at doing what they do. 

Also, if they didn't try to make movies with questionable and weird elements like this.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Isn't it unconfirmed that any teaser has been shown yet?  That's not impossible, given that we don't know if enough of it is even complete enough to show.  We have only the word of random people, with unverified connections, to say the teaser exists, they've seen it and it looks good.  

Also even if we assume these people are telling the truth, "good" is subjective, and the criteria needed to call something both a good movie and a Sonic movie are stricter than for just a good movie.  A Sonic movie that uses a buddy cop format, none of Sonic's game friends and Sonic's game enemy only looking like himself at the very end, and uses "Gangster's Paradise" in its trailer, does not sound like what I'd call a good Sonic movie.

Anyone can say "I laughed."  Anyone can say "The rest of the audience laughed."  That anyone might even be telling the truth.  However, if the same anyone also gives descriptions of the movie that sound uninteresting to me, why should I care?  Either such people are telling the truth and I haven't heard of anything that interests me in the movie, or they're lying and I haven't heard of anything that interests me in the movie.

2 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

Was it? By most accounts off the top of my head they were actually received pretty poorly. Unless you mean someone who claimed to see a screening and post their impressions, wherein you get the same problem - you're expected to take their word for it with little to show for it.

The Brazil teaser they showed last year got a positive response from the audience apparently. Remember, they thought Sonic looked fine and others thought he looked cute. 

And the only mention we've gotten of test-screening reception is of a positive one from a reputable source for screening leaks. That UserAnon guy on Twitter

So I don't recall any negative reception from anything they've shown behind closed doors 😕

• Thumbs Up 2

There was no Sonic trailer with Shazam when I watched it last weekend. I guess it's possible it could be attached with it this weekend, though. 

I feel like any trailer that dropped would definitely hit the internet before it hit any theater. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I feel like any trailer that dropped would definitely hit the internet before it hit any theater. 

A huge majority of the time, a trailer is specifically made to coincide with a movie that's out. It obviously gets on the internet the same day, but this is largely the case for why. For example, the Detective Pikachu trailer was released during Fantastic Beasts.

This is why I think the trailer will be shown during Detective Pikachu (and released online the same day). People in the theater are seeing a video game movie, while also seeing a trailer for another video game movie (and Detective Pikachu is supposedly going to be a massive block buster). Though I also question whether they'll show the trailer during Shazam or Endgame because the production crew members are big comic book fans (especially since Endgame will also be a big block buster). There could be a small chance that it will show during all 3, or 2 of these movies.

Joker is premiering its trailer at CinemaCon today, and will release it publicly tomorrow.. So I wonder if the Sonic movie will do the same thing. Privately show a teaser Thursday, have it go public the following morning?