Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

8 minutes ago, pppp said:

Still more than what we have of Sonic, what does that tell you?

On the other hand, while The Terminator movie has some official stills released it, has zero posters, meanwhile the Sonic movie has two official posters.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, pppp said:

Still more than what we have of Sonic, what does that tell you?

Nothing. They just had an entire presentation at Cinemacon

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Too Many Rings 1

Lol six months us the absolute standard before advertising starts. If anything, Paramount has shown MORE of Sonic than usual at the point. We're all just closer to this particular franchise so are watching closely. Promoting will start sometime in May.

Also, I can't wait for this movie! Sonic fan since '91 here. Looks like we're gonna get a fun, non-SegaSonic canon origin movie! I'm down with that. Sounds great.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Trailers shown at cons sometimes don't end up officially uploaded at all, so I'm not expecting it at this point. They could release it later as the first public trailer, but at that point you might as well make a new one, y'know?

• Thumbs Up 2

There's nothing really abnormal about the promotion cycle for the film right now. These things tend to vary by film but the movie is still 8 month's away in an era where it's becoming more and more common to just play the ball closer to your chest. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

They did release a trailer for Rocket Man on their Twitter that time...

I've said this twice now. That wasn't a new trailer. That had already been released before Cinemacon, they just re-uploaded it on the same day for some reason. Nothing from Cinemacon has been shown yet.

Also, when people are being daft and saying Paramount aren't promoting this: I just got back from the cinema (in the UK). Sure enough, the Sonic posters are up. Nothing for Terminator, Star Wars or any other movies as far away as Sonic. If anything, it's getting MORE promotion. I think Paramount are expecting this to make mega-bucks. And I'm sure it will.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

Also, when people are being daft and saying Paramount aren't promoting this: I just got back from the cinema (in the UK). Sure enough, the Sonic posters are up. Nothing for Terminator, Star Wars or any other movies as far away as Sonic. If anything, it's getting MORE promotion. I think Paramount are expecting this to make mega-bucks. And I'm sure it will.

They are. That's why they have a full-fledged merchandise and tie-in campaign ready to go for this movie. They are banking on this film the same way they did Bumblebee 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I'm going to lose my mind if I see this again.

IGN is a publication with a large host of writers with differing opinions, and among it's management staff is Dreadknux the creator of the Sonic Stadium: THIS WEBSITE. The fact that most of the Sonic games they review are scored poorly might have to do with the fact that most Sonic games aren't good, but it's easier for Sonic fans to visualize a bogeyman rather than think critically. 

More on topic, IGN's play by play of the trailer is accurate. Their unamused flavor is also warranted, this movie's premise is downright strange. 

The sooner this trailer drops, the better. 

Hey, I saw plenty good reviews from ign, Sonic Advance 1, 2, 3, Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure, Pocket Adventure, the og SA1, og SA2, Heroes, Sonic 4 Ep. 1, Colors, Generations, Sonic Mania, those were all VERY positive reviews (8,5 and above) and I'm probably even missing some others.

IGN is not a goddamn hivemind that hates Sonic The Hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Hey, I saw plenty good reviews from ign, Sonic Advance 1, 2, 3, Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure, Pocket Adventure, the og SA1, og SA2, Heroes, Sonic 4 Ep. 1, Colors, Generations, Sonic Mania, those were all VERY positive reviews (8,5 and above) and I'm probably even missing some others.

IGN is not a goddamn hivemind that hates Sonic The Hedgehog.

Those are actually all my favorite games  in the franchise too (except maybe Sonic 4). Holy shit!

8 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

Yup they were up when we went to see Captain Marvel, and I believe we’re still not slated to get the Sonic film until Dec 26th much later than the USA (which I won’t be able to see until 2 January anyway)

So because this film is making basic marketing strategies(a few fucking posters), paramount are apparently expecting this out of all their films to rake in the big money and reviews? ...what? 

I do find it slightly strange how quiet the Sonic movie twitter has gotten. Not even a "See you at CinemaCon!" kind of post.

Then again, there's pretty much nothing they could say that people wouldn't hate, so maybe that's for the best.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

So because this film is making basic marketing strategies(a few fucking posters), paramount are apparently expecting this out of all their films to rake in the big money and reviews? ...what? 

Lol it's their major, big budget family movie for the Christmas period. Of course they're expecting it to make money.

I mentioned the posters in response to the ridiculous comments earlier that Paramount are in some way ashamed of this and expecting it to tank and are sweeping it under the carpet.

It's getting more publicity at present than other movies our at that time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Given how even Sonic games even during Christmas period rarely break sales numbers/records, I’m really not expecting or getting my confidence that high that it will be anything groundbreaking. Especially if there’s anything worth a damn competing with it around that time. Again, this is a video game film. They notoriously don’t tend to go over well with audiences usually with few exceptions.(Wreck it Ralph and angry birds) on top of that, it’s a video game film regarding a franchise that’s looked at usually as the butt of a joke. If anything, I’d expect the Dora movie to be the bigger family film money maker for paramount this year honestly. It already seems to be drawing people’s interest after that trailer.

2 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

Of course they're expecting it to make money.

Yeah that goes without saying a company would expect their project they’re selling to make them money

Other movies come out and get promoted at Cinemacon: *official page doesn't make a post on Twitter about Cinemacon*

Fans: that's fine

Sonic gets promoted at Cinemacon: *official page doesn't make a post about Cinemacon*

Fans: suspicious

Ok,  now I felt like that this movie going to pandering to 90s nostalgia fans. Since, they named Eggman, Robotnik instead of the name we are all used to. Some of the actors admitted that they played the games, which I assume that they played only the 90s games. Ben did admitted that he played Sonic Mania on the Switch.

The film slate had the iconic Classic Sonic logo.:

a-a-sonic-movie-slate.jpg?resize=768,528

James say in an interview that Sonic doesn’t have a voice, which means that he probably never played the modern games before.

Ben confirmed that there will be easter eggs. However most likely, will be from the classic games.

In fact, according to Ben Schwartz, the voice of the blue hedgehog, there's many Easter eggs, including many humorous ones and many that probably only hardcore fans of the video game series will pick up on.

"There are Easter eggs," confirmed Schwartz in an exclusive interview with ComicBook. "There are very fun Easter eggs that people who play Sonic (games) will really enjoy and understand."

Unfortunately, Schwartz didn't reveal any specific Easter Eggs we can expect, or even hint at the nature of any of them, but from the sounds of it, they will be more concentrated to the classic Sonic experience, and not his newer, more recent games.

Source: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/04/04/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-easter-eggs/

• Thumbs Up 2

Big name actors are so busy in their day to day lives that I'd be surprised if they had time to play ANY game in detail.  Throwaway statements like "I'm a big Sonic fan" are mainly just PR.  Doesn't mean they're wrong, just that they likely have no bearing on how the film is being made so much as it hopes to convey the enthusiasm the actors have when taking part in it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Regardless, I’m still excited to see the movie. It will be probably a fun film which I expected, since this was first announced back in 2014.

BTW, I made a thread for my movie fan art. I recently posted some fan art there. Feel free to check it out. The thread kinda feel dead.

1 minute ago, Tara said:

Big name actors are so busy in their day to day lives that I'd be surprised if they had time to play ANY game in detail.  Throwaway statements like "I'm a big Sonic fan" are mainly just PR.  Doesn't mean they're wrong, just that they likely have no bearing on how the film is being made so much as it hopes to convey the enthusiasm the actors have when taking part in it.

I think at the end of the day whether the actors are fans or not is kind of irrelevant. Like James Marsters is apparently a huge Dragon Ball fan and tried to at least get some adjustments made to Piccolo's character, but even with him doing that Dragon Ball Evolution still turned out how it was. Not his fault, of course, but I don't really put much stock in actors being interested in the property because they don't get to make the big decisions.

Stuff like that is ultimately out of their hands.

• Thumbs Up 5