Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I'm still really curious as to what everyone else during the test screening thought. Remember that guy on Twitter who said most people who saw the screening enjoyed it and posted their thoughts online? Where are those people that posted? Where are those Facebook groups? I really want to hear multiple perspectives. That guy on Reddit who talked about the screening didn't seem like the most in depth film critic/viewer. Someone should ask this guy:

https://www.twitter.com/davidpockets90/status/1089898428627410944

Was he implying the Mario movie would come out this year in his original post?  Because I'm pretty sure it won't.

I am amazed we got trailer or pictures. Nearly every other film there we know something about. Heck we know more about the dora the explorer movie

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Is anyone actually gonna try and /seriously/ argue the Sonic film will win here lol?

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 4
  • Way Past Cool 1
  • Absolutely 1

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

Is anyone actually gonna try and /seriously/ argue the Sonic film will win here lol?

No, but its prominent positioning in that graphic is pretty interesting. To feature it there over a host of other movies says a lot about its relevance right now, and even if you were to imagine it was done as click-bait *raises hand*, the relevance angle still holds up.

The image implies it’s as equally relevant as Endgame and Star Wars, which should, given the actual lack of material promoted in comparison to the former on top of Sonic’s reputation in comparison to both, be a dead giveaway it’s likely just clickbait, and not a indication of its popularity or relevance in the general market 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Too Many Rings 1

8 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I think we all know by now which one would win.

5 hours ago, KHCast said:

The image implies it’s as equally relevant as Endgame and Star Wars, which should, given the actual lack of material promoted in comparison to the former on top of Sonic’s reputation in comparison to both, be a dead giveaway it’s likely just clickbait, and not a indication of its popularity or relevance in the general market 

Sure it is... Of course IGN would just randomly put Sonic the Hedgehog on their graph if nobody cared about it.. Especially when we also have Joker and Spider-Man also coming out this year. I wonder if they.... Actually use data collected to make this graph. The Sonic movie Twitter alone has a huge amount of followers. 

Sigh... Gotta cool it before I genuinely get angry. Every little positive thing/sign about this movie is not some trick or a half-truth or a lie. 

9 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Of course IGN would just randomly put Sonic the Hedgehog on their graph if nobody cared about it..

People do "care" about it. Just mostly not in a positive way.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 5
  • Fist Bump 1

22 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

People do "care" about it. Just mostly not in a positive way.

People at Cinemacon seemed to like what they saw 

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

People at Cinemacon seemed to like what they saw 

And quite a lot of other people...don't. The best you can say about the Sonic movie is that the response has been mixed, and that's not nearly good enough to seriously compete with something like the Avengers or Star Wars, which have already proven themselves to have absolutely massive, culture-shifting appeal.

• Thumbs Up 9

Its all calculated to maximise engagement, Star Wars and Avengers are the real fight Sonic is there to attract shit posting.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

And quite a lot of other people...don't. The best you can say about the Sonic movie is that the response has been mixed, and that's not nearly good enough to seriously compete with something like the Avengers or Star Wars, which have already proven themselves to have absolutely massive, culture-shifting appeal.

Dude, Sonic can absolutely compete with Godzilla, IT and John Wick 3. Maybe even Detective Pikachu. We won't know the full gauge of the public interest until the first trailer drops. But the INTEREST in the movie is there, that's for sure. These bizarre choices can absolutely be played at the sleight of Paramount's hand as a marketing gimmick

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, KHCast said:

popularity no, but relevance yes. There is no denying what we do have on the Sonic movie moves the needle (mostly in the wrong direction - but still lol). It wouldn't be effective as clickbait if it didn't.

4 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I wonder if they.... Actually use data collected to make this graph. The Sonic movie Twitter alone has a huge amount of followers. 

Unless you got any proof of that, or numbers to suggest the general audience has Sonic on the mind as much as Avengers, I’m gonna say this is just wishful thinking on your end in hopes that the Sonic movie isn’t being looked at as a joke. I mean Christ, if they used data, detective pikachu would have been there instead of Sonic. That film actually beat toy story 4’s trailer in views massively. Audience interest doesn’t get more obvious than that 

• Thumbs Up 2

You guys think the movie might do well in China?  I hear the reactions there for Detective Pikachu is pretty great there. I don't think Sonic is pretty well known there, but he does have a bit of presence in the country like these.:

Spoiler

150702125504682.jpg

1458112191.jpg

Dr5X1UoWwAEpVVi.jpg

Dr5TIJXX4AA2QmH.jpg

613f4573dcf4c7e4e8844bdbbe26a66e.png

9 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Maybe. If it gets released there, anyway. We’ll have to see.

Well, they are the second largest film market. They still yet to get a release date. I guess we will have to wait to find out. The only Asian countries that got release dates so far are Hong Kong and Japan. Also, It's weird that Canada getting the movie a little late, when much of the movie is filmed there.:

Spoiler
Portugal 7 November 2019  
Russia 7 November 2019  
Slovakia 7 November 2019  
Turkey 8 November 2019  
USA 8 November 2019  
Brazil 14 November 2019  
Hungary 14 November 2019  
Romania 15 November 2019  
Denmark 21 November 2019  
Italy 21 November 2019  
Sweden 22 November 2019  
Australia 28 November 2019  
Hong Kong 28 November 2019  
Israel 28 November 2019  
Norway 29 November 2019  
Belgium 17 December 2019  
Germany 19 December 2019  
France 25 December 2019  
UK 26 December 2019  
Canada 31 December 2019  
Netherlands 30 January 2020  
Ireland 13 March 2020  
Japan 23 May 2020  
New Zealand 10 July 2020

Source: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/releaseinfo

That's a little scary to think about. Normally when films release right after Christmas, or start at the beginning of the year, it's a sign that the company knows it's a really bad movie, and doesn't expect high box office. For example Norm Of The North came out in January.

If it's right before Christmas like Spider-Verse was, and how this film is in the US, that's a better sign.

25 minutes ago, Sonicfan7 said:

I doubt the movie is releasing New Years Eve in Canada. Should be the same day as the States. 

Especially considering that IIRC there was a Canadian theater website that listed a November release date.

I think Sonic's planet is actually a different dimension. The leaked Reddit summary said that rings are how Sonic got to our world, and based on the description people are giving about the action, and how the rings work, it seems like it'll have multiple different dimensions involved.