Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Theory: The spaceships mentioned in the teaser are from Robotnik. A plot twist will reveal Sonic isn't actually from another planet, he's from the future, where Robotnik conquered the world.

People at CinemaCon mentioned a scene where a game accurate Robotnik stands in an 'apocalyptic setting'

Present day Robotnik will be Jim Carrey with hair and black suit.

Future Robotnik will be Jim Carrey as a game accurate Robotnik.

Sonic must be in the present day to stop this 'apocalyptic setting' from happening.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Myst said:

Theory: The spaceships mentioned in the teaser are from Robotnik. A plot twist will reveal Sonic isn't actually from another planet, he's from the future, where Robotnik conquered the world.

People at CinemaCon mentioned a scene where a game accurate Robotnik stands in an 'apocalyptic setting'

Future Robotnik will be Jim Carrey as game accurate Robotnik.

Wouldn't that mean stopping Eggman from taking over the world would erase Sonic from existence?

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Wouldn't that mean stopping Eggman from taking over the world would erase Sonic from existence?

Tom will bring him back with a kiss.

• Chuckle 2

Okay but what if the movie explains away the alien/dimension premise by taking SEGA's own "two worlds" narrative they now swear up and down by and running with it

What then

12 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Okay but what if the movie explains away the alien/dimension premise by taking SEGA's own "two worlds" narrative they now swear up and down by and running with it

What then

I mean.

They're basically the same thing already?

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Myst said:

Future Robotnik will be Jim Carrey as a game accurate Robotnik.

Sonic must be in the present day to stop this 'apocalyptic setting' from happening.

I mean, that's basically what Mobius is in the Archie universe. 

Only problem I see with this is Sonic essentially erasing himself from existence 

I'm leaning towards doubt, but imagine if this movie ends up having a lot more easter eggs (which there are easter eggs, according to Schwartz and Tim Miller) to the games than we initially thought. Like as if they studied enough or were actual fans. Keep in mind that Tim Miller and Jeff Fowler have worked on Sonic in the past, and Patrick Casey and Josh Miller (the writers) do hold some level of knowledge on the franchise. Miller seemed to have even know obscure facts like how Sonic was originally in a band during the classic era, and how Robotnick's name in Japan was Eggman in the 90's. I wonder if they'll keep that Mean Bean Coffee machine reference that was going to be in this movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I wonder if they'll keep that Mean Bean Coffee machine reference that was going to be in this movie.

Well there's supposedly a scene in the trailer where Stone gives a dancing Robotnik a latte..

13 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I'm leaning towards doubt, but imagine if this movie ends up having a lot more easter eggs (which there are easter eggs, according to Schwartz and Tim Miller) to the games than we initially thought. Like as if they studied enough or we're actual fans. Keep in mind that Tim Miller and Jeff Fowler have worked on Sonic in the past, and Patrick Casey and Josh Miller (the writers) do hold some level of knowledge on the franchise. Miller seemed to have even know obscure facts like how Sonic was originally in a band during the classic era, and how Robotnick's name in Japan was Eggman in the 90's. I wonder if they'll keep that Mean Bean Coffee machine reference that was going to be in this movie.

I really believe this will be the case 

They'll keep saying soon until there's something more substantial they can say, its a bit pointless posting vague answers.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, the trailer could drop at anytime and any day. So, it could pop up tomorrow, Friday, next week, or next month. Who knows?

If they don't release the trailer during Endgame, I kind of wish they would tell us ahead of time. Like show a teaser for the trailer by showing Sonic's legs or something. It would people talking, and the trailer would probably gain views.

I just realized something

One of the writers of the movie has also worked on the Jump Street franchise.

And given the descriptions of the trailers, it seems that the movie will have that sort of vibe!

Christ, what does this film have to do with Sonic at all? Like why is this the Sonic film we are getting. 

It feels like someone who hasn't kept up with the series or even played the games has taken the most bare-bones sketch of what the franchise is—a blue hedgehog who runs fast—and decided to just create his own entire world and lore for the franchise using just the protagonist and his nemesis. 

It's not like the games have a particularly strong canon but there is at least some sort of continuity with characters, some locales and a general sense of what Sonic is. I'm so sick of Sonic media always feeling the need to completely separate itself from the games with new worlds or designs, always creating this bizarre off-shoot that only limply resembles what its meant to stem from. With Boom, for example, the redesigns and new setting ended up feeling totally unnecessary as they really didn't do anything unique or interesting with them; you could've just as easily had the normal designs hanging out in South Island/Green Hill or whatever. Here it seems like the other end of the spectrum: they've gone so far and used so little of the source material it feels like a different movie. Why is there only one anthropomorphic animal in my Sonic movie? Where are the Chaos Emeralds or literally any of the motifs we see in the games? Why is someone known for being incredibly goofy playing Eggman? Why is he suddenly called Robotnik again in this film after Sonic Team have spent years clearing up that localisation difference? Why is it live action? Ugh. 

This feels so removed from anything I associate with Sonic and from what we hear above, doesn't even sound particularly good on its own merit. I guess a couple of the lines sound sort of amusing, but I find it difficult to take any of this remotely seriously as it all just rings like meme fodder and weird fan-fiction considering it has so little to do with what we are used to. With all the money being poured into this and recent CGI films like Wreck-it-Ralph managing to craft exciting, intelligent, heart-warming and critically, commercially successful films about video game characters, I'm so disappointed that this is what we've ended up with as the Sonic movie after all these years. It's honestly a joke. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Well personally I expected it to be different from the very beginning (ever since I saw the words "live action Sonic movie"), and like I said, general audiences don't know a lot about "what Sonic is", other than the fact that it involves a blue hedgehog who collects rings, and maybe even that he fights Robotnick. More people recognize Sonic from the classic games, and that's pretty much the idea and characters people think of when it comes to that. Yes, I'm even saying Knuckles and Tails aren't as recognizable. This is clearly an origin story.

And it's not like Sonic is the only franchise that does this. Batman, Marvel shit, Ninja Turtles, etc. They all have adaptations that are completely different from each other. Always trying to create new fans.

And It's not like Sonic has never succeeded with other adaptations. Like how you mentioned Boom. Everyone thought the idea of a new animated Sonic comedy show with redesigns sounded stupid, yet it ended up being enjoyable. Everyone initially thought that Sonic X was dumb because it introduced humans, but now people seem to enjoy it. Satam hardly has anything to do with the games other than the environmental message (which this movie is also going to have), and the characters, Sonic, Tails, and Robotnick being involved, so they made their own characters. People still enjoy it.

Change does not necessarily mean bad. If this was just a giant cutscene that was 100% faithful to a Sonic game like (I don't know) Unleashed[?] it would probably be cheesy and gain negative reception anyway just like Ratchet & Clank. The dialect and progression in Sonic games would not work in a Sonic movie. Stories yes, but neither of those.

And you guys should also understand that SEGA had control over this too. I have a feeling they told the production team that they wanted a live action movie (not animated), that takes place during Sonic 1 (which only has Sonic and Robotnick). They're doing the best they can to work with that, and I can guarantee that if we're getting sequels, it'll be Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, and maybe eventually CD, Adventure, and Adventure 2. It seems like it's trying to be like Iron Man where it starts off cool, but the sequels (or possibly a cinematic universe) makes it even more exciting and engaging.

51 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Well personally I expected it to be different from the very beginning (ever since I saw the words "live action Sonic movie"), and like I said, general audiences don't know a lot about "what Sonic is", other than the fact that it involves a blue hedgehog who collects rings, and maybe even that he fights Robotnick. More people recognize Sonic from the classic games, and that's pretty much the idea and characters people think of when it comes to that. Yes, I'm even saying Knuckles and Tails aren't as recognizable. This is clearly an origin story.

And it's not like Sonic is the only franchise that does this. Batman, Marvel shit, Ninja Turtles, etc. They all have adaptations that are completely different from each other. Always trying to create new fans.

And It's not like Sonic has never succeeded with other adaptations. Like how you mentioned Boom. Everyone thought the idea of a new animated Sonic comedy show with redesigns sounded stupid, yet it ended up being enjoyable. Everyone initially thought that Sonic X was dumb because it introduced humans, but now people seem to enjoy it. Satam hardly has anything to do with the games other than the environmental message (which this movie is also going to have), and the characters, Sonic, Tails, and Robotnick being involved, so they made their own characters. People still enjoy it.

Change does not necessarily mean bad. If this was just a giant cutscene that was 100% faithful to a Sonic game like (I don't know) Unleashed[?] it would probably be cheesy and gain negative reception anyway just like Ratchet & Clank. The dialect and progression in Sonic games would not work in a Sonic movie. Stories yes, but neither of those.

And you guys should also understand that SEGA had control over this too. I have a feeling they told the production team that they wanted a live action movie (not animated), that takes place during Sonic 1 (which only has Sonic and Robotnick). They're doing the best they can to work with that, and I can guarantee that if we're getting sequels, it'll be Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, and maybe eventually CD, Adventure, and Adventure 2. It seems like it's trying to be like Iron Man where it starts off cool, but the sequels (or possibly a cinematic universe) makes it even more exciting and engaging.

I still don't like Sonic X much, I don't see any environmental themes in this movie, and while I'm all for a Sonic origin story...why this one?

Were there any good evidence that this was a methodical approach to telling Sonic's origin, the lack of more game characters would be understandable.  But I don't detect much here that lays the ground for more.  It's an origin story in the sense that it starts with Sonic as a baby, he grows up, and has a run-in with Robotnik, but the two are plunked into this world with different roles than they had in the games.  Yes; you couldn't just use the raw game plot, but it could still be about Robotnik harming the environment and animals, and Sonic seeking to stop him.

This, by the way, is coming from someone who laughed at a lot of the leaked info about the trailer and isn't nauseated by Sonic's design (just confused).  They might get a good movie out of this, but I still don't get their logic.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Wordy said:

Christ, what does this film have to do with Sonic at all? Like why is this the Sonic film we are getting. 

It feels like someone who hasn't kept up with the series or even played the games has taken the most bare-bones sketch of what the franchise is—a blue hedgehog who runs fast—and decided to just create his own entire world and lore for the franchise using just the protagonist and his nemesis. 

It's not like the games have a particularly strong canon but there is at least some sort of continuity with characters, some locales and a general sense of what Sonic is. I'm so sick of Sonic media always feeling the need to completely separate itself from the games with new worlds or designs, always creating this like bizarre off-shoot that only limply resembles what its meant to stem from. With Boom, for example, the redesigns and new setting ended up feeling totally unnecessary as they really didn't do anything unique or interesting with them; you could've just as easily had the normal designs hanging out in South Island/Green Hill or whatever. Here it seems like the other end of the spectrum; they've gone so far and used so little of the source material it feels like a different movie. Why is there only one anthropomorphic animal in my Sonic movie? Where are the Chaos Emeralds or literally any of the motifs we see in the games? Why is someone known for being incredibly goofy playing Eggman? Why is he suddenly called Robotnik again in this film after Sonic Team have spent years clearing up that localisation difference? Why is it live action? Ugh. 

This feels so removed from anything I associate with Sonic and from what we hear above, doesn't even sound particularly good on its own merit. I guess a couple of the lines sound sort of amusing, but I find it difficult to take any of this remotely seriously as it all just rings like meme fodder and weird fan-fiction considering it has so little to do with what we are used to. With all the money being poured into this and recent CGI films like Wreck-it-Ralph managing to craft exciting, intelligent, heart-warming and critically, commercially successful films about video game characters, I'm so disappointed that this is what we've ended up with as the Sonic movie after all these years. It's honestly a joke. 

And you seem to be ignoring the enthusiasm displayed by the cast and crew of the movie...

Also, there are many interpretations of Sonic's story, but as long as it stays true to the charm and energy of past stories then it should do well.

1 minute ago, MrPolynomialX said:

And you seem to be ignoring the enthusiasm displayed by the cast and crew of the movie...

Also, there are many interpretations of Sonic's story, but as long as it stays true to the charm and energy of past stories then it should do well.

And don't become another reactionary, we already have plenty of those...

59 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I still don't like Sonic X much, I don't see any environmental themes in this movie, and while I'm all for a Sonic origin story...why this one?

Were there any good evidence that this was a methodical approach to telling Sonic's origin, the lack of more game characters would be understandable.  But I don't detect much here that lays the ground for more.  It's an origin story in the loose sense that Sonic starts as a baby, grows up, and has run-ins with Robotnik, but the characters aren't doing what they did in the games.  Again, if this includes any sort of plot about Robotnik harming the environment and animals and Sonic trying to stop him, I haven't heard.

In response to an early reply,

I don't think IGN necessarily hates Sonic in general, it is just that the franchise has become kind of a laughing stock to them, and they are simply making fun of it.

In my opinion,  I think the filmmakers are taking inspiration from the MCU in regard to a story-telling standpoint.

The Marvel movies don't necessarily follow the original stories of the characters they are based on, but they stay true to the originals.

1 hour ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Change does not necessarily mean bad.

True. However, "change does not necessarily mean bad" does not mean "change means good". Whatever changes are made should be evaluated on their own merits, and while I don't doubt some people are reacting to change itself on some level, that doesn't mean that nobody is honestly evaluating the changes and deciding that they don't like them.

If this was just a giant cutscene that was 100% faithful to a Sonic game like (I don't know) Unleashed[?] it would probably be cheesy and gain negative reception anyway just like Ratchet & Clank. The dialect and progression in Sonic games would not work in a Sonic movie. Stories yes, but neither of those.

Okay but what does that have to do with the radical changes and ideas the movie is using? Nobody is asking them to make a one-to-one adaptation of an existing game. They didn't need to turn Sonic into a horrible little gremlin and have him team up with a cop to adapt the series into a movie, but they did so anyway.

And you guys should also understand that SEGA had control over this too. I have a feeling they told the production team that they wanted a live action movie (not animated), that takes place during Sonic 1 (which only has Sonic and Robotnick). They're doing the best they can to work with that, and I can guarantee that if we're getting sequels, it'll be Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, and maybe eventually CD, Adventure, and Adventure 2.

I don't know why you'd assume this is supposed to be some kind of adaptation of Sonic 1, or that they have any intentions of adapting other games, when this movie doesn't seem to resemble anything that the games have been.

12 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

Enthusiastic people make bad stuff all the time.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

True. However, "change does not necessarily mean bad" does not mean "change means good". Whatever changes are made should be evaluated on their own merits, and while I don't doubt some people are reacting to change itself on some level, that doesn't mean that nobody is honestly evaluating the changes and deciding that they don't like them.

Okay but what does that have to do with the radical changes and ideas the movie is using? Nobody is asking them to make a one-to-one adaptation of an existing game. They didn't need to turn Sonic into a horrible little gremlin and have him team up with a cop to adapt the series into a movie, but they did so anyway.

I don't know why you'd assume this is supposed to be some kind of adaptation of Sonic 1, or that they have any intentions of adapting other games, when this movie doesn't seem to resemble anything that the games have been.

Enthusiastic people make bad stuff all the time.

From what I have seen of the cast and crew, and other sources, the theme of "passion" being put into the project seems to be mentioned a lot when the movie is being discussed by them.

It was first mentioned in the interview with the Paramount CEO, as well as the interviews that followed.

The cast mentions it as well...

It is even listed on the Blur Studio website...

http://www.blur.com/about/

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe, the plot could take some inspiration from Sonic Adventure 2, since half of the movie will set place in San Francisco. Central City is based on that. The Reddit leaker mentioned that there will be a scene similar to City Escape in the movie.