Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

The whole ring transportation thing is actually likely a reference in itself to the giant rings that would transport you to special stages.

That's a thing? It sounds pretty weird and different.

Not the Sonic I know.

3 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Okay I just realized something, and it actually makes sense, and it could be something fans might appreciate (or you'll just hate on this film more again literally because it's different but I respect your opinion). The whole ring transportation thing is actually likely a reference in itself to the giant rings that would transport you to special stages. A "different dimension".

Also I think the reason why chaos emeralds aren't involved is because again, this likely takes place during Sonic 1, and Sonic doesn't turn super in Sonic 1. He is probably going to turn super in the sequel if it's based off of Sonic 2 because that is a major moment in the game's story. That means Tails will be involved too.

Could just be that rings are part of the surface level knowledge of Sonic people have and about a quarter of that is coins.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

That's a thing? It sounds pretty weird and different.

Not the Sonic I know.

That's a thing, but certainly not very close to what's in this movie.  In the games, giant rings are explicitly different from the normal collectible rings, they warp Sonic but to specific places; not ones he chooses.  

The collectible rings do nothing in the games that even marginally resembles warping.  Moreover, you might say that their game function, absorbing hits, isn't easy to adapt into film, but the function they chose is a big asspull; to the extreme it potentially wrecks the logic.  Why would Sonic need to run fast if he can just warp at will?  How can they make good action scenes if that is the case?  

The simplest  solution to that would be to make the rings very scarce, but that contradicts the games still more, and arriving at that conundrum should have convinced them to find some other way to warp Sonic.  It can't be that hard.

• Way Past Cool 1

Ring transportation makes sense. It's from Sonic 1. And you need 50 rings to access a Special Stage ring so Sonic needing to obtain rings to get home in the movie would make sense too.

Even his missing shoes and gloves could make some sense if you look at it as an origin. It's before he had these thing. Piles of wrecked shoes because he hasn't yet found any that can handle his speed. Maybe he'll have them by the end of the movie.

Everything so far sounds good to me. As its own canon, giving Sonic the origin story he never really had. I assume in the sequel we will see him meet Tails for the first time and maybe face off with Knuckles if they choose to adapt the 2nd and 3rd games in some way.

Maybe they'll try to explain why Eggman is the only human in Sonic's world.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Also I think the reason why chaos emeralds aren't involved is because again, this likely takes place during Sonic 1, and Sonic doesn't turn super in Sonic 1.

...but he still collects emeralds in Sonic 1. And finding them is Eggman's goal in Sonic 1. If you're claiming this is deliberately and specifically "Sonic 1: The Movie", they have every reason to be part of it.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

...but he still collects emeralds in Sonic 1. And finding them is Eggman's goal in Sonic 1. If you're claiming this is deliberately and specifically "Sonic 1: The Movie", they have every reason to be part of it.

There are adaptation films that don't have literally every detail from the original source material in them. Infinity War for example has a lot of X-Men characters featured in it, and the film doesn't have any.

38 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

There are adaptation films that don't have literally every detail from the original source material in them. Infinity War for example has a lot of X-Men characters featured in it, and the film doesn't have any.

Or it's a general adaptation of the franchise, and Sonic and Eggman are the only characters used because they're the most recognizable. I don't see why it's an adaptation of Sonic 1 specifically when it uses the very bare minimum of the franchise. Sonic, Eggman, robots, Rings, that's it.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Okay but then why assume the emeralds not being in this has anything to do with Super Sonic when adaptations change all kinds of things all the time for any number of reasons?

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if the sequel will mostly be set in Sonics planet. Maybe they're doing Metal Sonic, Amy and Tails for part 2

On 4/10/2019 at 5:12 AM, Myst said:

Theory: The spaceships mentioned in the teaser are from Robotnik. A plot twist will reveal Sonic isn't actually from another planet, he's from the future, where Robotnik conquered the world.

People at CinemaCon mentioned a scene where a game accurate Robotnik stands in an 'apocalyptic setting'

Present day Robotnik will be Jim Carrey with hair and black suit.

Future Robotnik will be Jim Carrey as a game accurate Robotnik.

Sonic must be in the present day to stop this 'apocalyptic setting' from happening.

Theory far from reality, with the teasers it has been shown that the filtered information of the film is all real ... And the story looked good.
The ships are obviously from Robotnik, but Sonic comes from his own world and not from the future.
Sonic travels as a child to the earth as a ring, the truth is that I wonder if he really does not travel because of the phantom ruby (since it has become something important in the saga and I do not understand even his motive). There he will meet Robotnik, an important being on earth and respected by all of which he will be increasingly obsessed by Sonic and his world.
The apocalyptic world of the teaser with Robotnik bald and red would be the final scene that is filtered, with Robotnik traveling to the world of Sonic for his obsession, more powerful than ever and with his big mustache (then leave behind his past to be called Eggman ).

The truth is that the filtered story looks great ... At last we will have the history of Sonic and Eggman's indices.

Everything has its logic and its because ... What I wonder is how will the following sequels in the world of Sonic ...

On 4/12/2019 at 4:37 PM, PeterPancake said:

I wonder if the sequel will mostly be set in Sonics planet. Maybe they're doing Metal Sonic, Amy and Tails for part 2

From what we've seen, it really doesn't sound like anything to do with the games' logic or loose canon is particularly the priority for the writers or studio, so I wouldn't get our hopes up about them following even the vaguest motifs from the main series. I guess we could be seeing some robot version of Sonic though, would be a missed opportunity if not. 

Although, lord do I no desire to see how they'd butcher Amy's design. 

And serving up some cynicism here but I would be utterly astounded if this film does well enough to merit a sequel anyway. Forgetting that it already has been set up to be received as a laughing stock by the general public (don't forget people are already forming an opinion on it), it's up against some ridiculous competition come it's release. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

That's because of a rights issue, and probably part of why Disney bought Fox.  While the Marvel characters share a universe in the original books, they sold different ones to different bidders and they wound up exclusively owned by different companies for over a decade.

This film has absolutely no such excuse.  Maybe Sega was somewhat stingy about what game elements Paramount was allowed to use, but in the past, most notably with Archie in response to the Ken Penders debacle, Sega has also cared at least a little bit in making sure Sonic adaptations stick closer to the games.  It's a safe bet that they could have used more elements from the games in this, and furthermore use them correctly.

Moreover, if this is truly an origin story (which it does seem to be), you have to wonder why Sega let it go ahead since they had previously forced Big Red Button to change their game away from being such a story.  The rational at the time is Sega wanted to keep that opportunity to itself so as to make sure the important story didn't get told at a bad time in a bad way.

I don't know why this film has gone the way it has, nor why Sega allowed it to go that way.  Again, I don't oppose this movie being an origin story, but it doesn't seem like it's trying hard to establish the things that were in the games.  If this is the story that happened before Sonic 1, why are they throwing in elements that aren't in Sonic 1?  If the next film is meant to be a Sonic 1 adaptation, they can't exactly keep on a lot of the characters they introduced.  Also, while the idea of Robotnik being from a different world to explain why he's a human among animals is not a new one, nothing about it mandates Sonic to have gone to Robotnik's world and met him before the events of the games.

It seems to me that the people making this movie are picking and choosing different parts from different places in the Sonic franchise AND adding their own original stuff in there on top of it where they feel like it. They're not staying faithful to any ONE game and are kinda just going loosey-goosey, if that makes any sense. xD

I'm fine with them doing that - so far, everything that I've seen in relation to the plot and Sonic himself, nothing is straying TOO far from what makes Sonic 'Sonic' to me. Which is that he's a blue hedgehog that runs fast and has to defeat Dr. Robotnik. If they play around with other bits and pieces, leave some things out and add left-field things in... hey, nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Sonic has changed several times throughout the different games, cartoons, comic series, etc. I see no reason why the movie can't just be another iteration.

I GET why some people wouldn't like such a loosey-goosey way of making a movie based on a video game franchise... but I also get why it's not that big of a deal for others.

If they came out and turned Sonic into a pink blob of slime who attacked random people on the street and still called him Sonic, THEN I'd for sure be like... yeeaaaaah, now that's a problem for me. I can't get behind that. xDD BUT STILL, at the end of the day, the people in charge can do whatever they want. I don't have to like it, and I also don't have to pay money to support it.

• Thumbs Up 3

If the leaked test screening is real, Sonic is going to be snarky but still have a heroic goal/vibe. That was always what Sonic was to me. I feel we're going to be getting that but without him saying a bunch of cheesy catchphrases and dialect (which again, wouldn't work for a film aimed at general audiences, so I'm incredibly happy for that). The only thing I'm really concerned about is the flossing scene (which probably won't get cut), and if he still at least has a heart. Which he probably will considering it goes in depth about his loneliness supposedly.

Hopefully that test screening leak legitimately is real. It would suck to just have a character called Sonic but actually lacks complete personality (like Alvin in the Alvin In The Chipmunks shit movies). But I have a feeling we're not getting that. Sonic will be the main character, he has the main focus. The fact that the film starts off with him tells me that he will indeed have a personality lmao.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Nicky Nicardo said:

It seems to me that the people making this movie are picking and choosing different parts from different places in the Sonic franchise AND adding their own original stuff in there on top of it where they feel like it. They're not staying faithful to any ONE game and are kinda just going loosey-goosey, if that makes any sense. xD

I'm fine with them doing that - so far, everything that I've seen in relation to the plot and Sonic himself, nothing is straying TOO far from what makes Sonic 'Sonic' to me. Which is that he's a blue hedgehog that runs fast and has to defeat Dr. Robotnik. If they play around with other bits and pieces, leave some things out and add left-field things in... hey, nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Sonic has changed several times throughout the different games, cartoons, comic series, etc. I see no reason why the movie can't just be another iteration.

I GET why some people wouldn't like such a loosey-goosey way of making a movie based on a video game franchise... but I also get why it's not that big of a deal for others.

If they came out and turned Sonic into a pink blob of slime who attacked random people on the street and still called him Sonic, THEN I'd for sure be like... yeeaaaaah, now that's a problem for me. I can't get behind that. xDD BUT STILL, at the end of the day, the people in charge can do whatever they want. I don't have to like it, and I also don't have to pay money to support it.

I'm with you totally! Nothing here strays too far. It's not like we haven't had countless iterations of Sonic already: SegaSonic, Archie, Fleetway, SatAM, AoStH, Underground, Boom, OVA/"movie" (land of the sky...? What was that about?), IDW and so on. I don't know why people are taking such an issue with this. Many of the ones I've mentioned above have been downright crap and the franchise has powered on lol.

Even the games don't follow a consistent backstory or timeline. They vary radically from game to game and there is no origin story.

In one of the Marsden interviews he even says the took liberties with the story.

I like the look of what I'm seeing so far.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Nicky Nicardo said:

Agreed, I think it’s ok for people to be excited and optimistic for the movie. I think the movie will be a fun movie to watch despite the backlash. 

1 hour ago, Nicky Nicardo said:

If they came out and turned Sonic into a pink blob of slime who attacked random people on the street and still called him Sonic, 

Anyway, sorry, this is off topic. Are you referring to this? It’s remind me of that scene.

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Agreed, I think it’s ok for people to be excited and optimistic for the movie. I think the movie will be a fun movie to watch despite the backlash. 

Anyway, sorry, this is off topic. Are you referring to this? It’s remind me of that scene.

Hide contents

Pfff nope, not at all - I've never seen that before in my life! xDD I literally just came up with the pink blob thing off the top of my head.

42 minutes ago, Nicky Nicardo said:

Pfff nope, not at all - I've never seen that before in my life! xDD I literally just came up with the pink blob thing off the top of my head.

Oh, ok. Whoops. Just curious. Thanks. 

Anyway, back to the topic.

14 hours ago, Nicky Nicardo said:

so far, everything that I've seen in relation to the plot and Sonic himself, nothing is straying TOO far from what makes Sonic 'Sonic' to me. Which is that he's a blue hedgehog that runs fast and has to defeat Dr. Robotnik. 

That is the absolute bare minimum. 

14 hours ago, Nicky Nicardo said:

If they play around with other bits and pieces, leave some things out and add left-field things in... hey, nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Sonic has changed several times throughout the different games, cartoons, comic series, etc. I see no reason why the movie can't just be another iteration.

People wouldn’t care as much if Sonic wasn’t ugly.

• Thumbs Up 3

The only thing off about the movie is the lack of Sonic's friends. But everything else is pretty much what this movie was always going to be. A Sonic X adaptation more than anything 

• Thumbs Up 2

So, you know about this? 

Someone had made a mockup of what the Paramount logo could look like with rings.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

That is the absolute bare minimum. 

People wouldn’t care as much if Sonic wasn’t ugly.

People care about that because Sonic's design is practically the only thing Paramount has promoted about this movie.  Almost everything else revealed has come from unofficial sources. Maybe there's something good buried in there, but with the official campaign so far amounting to little more than trolling and hoping to fed, it sure feels like they have no faith in anything better than people liking this movie ironically.

On 4/11/2019 at 11:56 PM, Gamecuber64 said:

Okay I just realized something, and it actually makes sense, and it could be something fans might appreciate (or you'll just hate on this film more again literally because it's different but I respect your opinion). The whole ring transportation thing is actually likely a reference in itself to the giant rings that would transport you to special stages. A "different dimension".

Also I think the reason why chaos emeralds aren't involved is because again, this likely takes place during Sonic 1, and Sonic doesn't turn super in Sonic 1. He is probably going to turn super in the sequel if it's based off of Sonic 2 because that is a major moment in the game's story. That means Tails will be involved too.

There won’t be a sequel...

The movie will be bad and maybe in the future a better team can make something good out of Sonic, in regard to a movie.

• Thumbs Up 2