Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Wild card it gets multiple sequels but its all Alpha & Omega style straight to DVD rubbish that surprises you that they made another one sometimes when you're browsing in the supermarket.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 4
  • Too Many Rings 1

I'm sure it will be so successful that when Disney buys Paramount, Marvel Studios will want a piece of the pie and bring Sonic the Hedgehog into the MCU. 

Super Sonic could've beaten Thanos

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

I'm sure it will be so successful that when Disney buys Paramount, Marvel Studios will want a piece of the pie and bring Sonic the Hedgehog into the MCU. 

Super Sonic could've beaten Thanos

I'd be happy if this happened, ironically. Sonic would still have to be from another planet but he could exist in the MCU on his own world. They'd still have to change his design but it could be a lot closer to the traditional

I'm 100% serious 

2 hours ago, MrPolynomialX said:

There won’t be a sequel...

The movie will be bad and maybe in the future a better team can make something good out of Sonic, in regard to a movie.

Never at all am I saying this film WILL be good guys. Though who knows. And I guess if it does go bad, we won't have a sequel, but I'm not gonna jump to conclusions of its quality until we actually you know...see it?

Also I have a feeling that if the Sonic trailer is playing during Endgame (which it probably will if they want to redeem themselves by showing a good trailer a bunch of people after all the backlash), we're gonna be getting a trailer around either this upcoming week, or the week during the film's release.

It's potentially coming you guys. We are getting close.

This film could stink like a sick skunk's shit, and still probably get a sequel if it makes enough money.  Hopefully, it won't stink that much and will make enough money to get us a sequel they feel comfortable investing in giving us more from the games.  The worst case scenario, though, is making a profit with this convinces them they can keep making half-assed garbage and getting away with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I posted this earlier today and people are going ape... it's apparently the highest quality look at the logo so far?

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It's cute you think that [Sonic will get a whole movie franchise].

He's not necessarily wrong.  The thing about these sorts of movies is that even with a reputation that's mixed at best, they keep getting made, and many as sequels.  Scooby Doo, The Smurfs, Garfield, Alvin & The Chipmunks, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, all had at least one sequel.  From an investment standpoint, it's probably cheaper to make a mostly live-action movie with the selling element of cartoon characters than to make a whole film animated, although the addition of big-name actors can swing it into more expense again. Also, when studios purchase a license to properties that can make them money, they probably want to keep trying for as long as they have that license.  

This, of course, doesn't mean it will be good for Sonic's reputation.

• Thumbs Up 1

The budget is low enough for it to only need to be a moderate success to be in with a chance of a sequel. It really is just a case of wait and see if people are interested in it.

On 4/13/2019 at 4:33 PM, Rabid-Coot said:

Wild card it gets multiple sequels but its all Alpha & Omega style straight to DVD rubbish that surprises you that they made another one sometimes when you're browsing in the supermarket.

Yeah, and much like A&O’s fanbase of wolf fans, maybe if they do stuff like bringing over characters from other versions of the franchise there will be a Sonic fandom still buying them. Yeah, I bet this franchise ends up like Swan Princess or something in terms of sequels (the original even featured a Dreams Comes True song!). 

Like its been said, the movie itself can be a total trainwreck - but if it makes money, then there will be more of them. It doesn't have to light the world on fire either. A modest showing in theaters is enough to turn a good profit and Hollywood, probably even more so than the videogame industry, leans super hard into sequels.

I was violently ejected from the hype train for this thing the second the silhouette was revealed. I knew I was always drawn to the character designs from this franchise (I am an artist after all) but its amazing how much of a strangle hold they have on my enjoyment factor. I didn't mind the Boom redesigns (Even Knux grew on me) but this... is not what I was looking for.

13 minutes ago, do a barrel roll said:

And now, this series is basically going to be dead when this movie drops.

As someone who has ridden this ride from the beginning (DANG I'M GETTING OLD) I can honestly say that the series will survive this movie no problem. This is nowhere near as doom and gloom as the 06 days, mainly because that game was so hyped and expected to be amazing. People were ready to get their faces melted off by 06 and instead got one of the biggest whiplashes in gaming history. That's not the case here. Most people here met the movie with massive skepticism the moment we found out they were aiming for live action. If the series can survive that all that - and still crank out games then a movie that doesn't even pander to fans isn't even a speedbump IMO.

Sonic has survived no less than 2 silver bullets in 06 and Rise of Lyric that would without a doubt obliterate lesser franchises. He's probably the closest thing to unkillable... Mostly in part to his awesome character design that the movie ironically craps all over lol.

35 minutes ago, do a barrel roll said:

And now, this series is basically going to be dead when this *anything* drops.

If I had a nickel... 

37 minutes ago, do a barrel roll said:

How long is this emotional rollercoaster going to go on?

At least, another 20 years.

Just look at Tomb Raider for instance. That movie made a DECENT profit but MGM are hungry for franchises so they've greenlit another one. The truth is, we do not know how this movie is going to perform. But I can make an educated guess and say that there is a good chance this movie is at least a moderate success. 

1 hour ago, do a barrel roll said:

This movie inspired me to look back on the worst Sonic games such as Shadow, 06, Rise of Lyric, and Forces, and how badly they damaged the series. It's more than bad enough that those three games ended up the way they did. And now, this series is basically going to be dead when this movie drops.

I'm honestly considering quitting the series at this point. I still love Sonic as a character if not as a series, don't get me wrong, but the series just doesn't appeal to me anymore. It's become nothing more than a nostalgia pandering, asset/location/stage/idea re-using, broken physics infested if not glitch infested, characterization abusing, poorly designed, poorly written, poorly marketed, self-deprecating, meme-y, and overall just poorly executed and poorly managed series with way too many incarnations.

How and why is it even possible for the same series to produce the greatest game in it's series in 25 years if not of all time, then a heavily disappointing 3D game and a crap-stain live-action movie? How long is this emotional rollercoaster going to go on? Is it even possible for this series to get back on good tracks again? Will the series ever revert to being at least decently executed, decently managed, and somewhat easy to get a grasp on? Or will it forever stay as a micromanaged, identity-less, complicated, boring, and unlikable pile of garbage?

Because Sonic Mania was outsourced, to people who requested the permission to make it.  Meanwhile Sonic Team by then existed in name only.

42 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

As someone who has ridden this ride from the beginning (DANG I'M GETTING OLD) I can honestly say that the series will survive this movie no problem. This is nowhere near as doom and gloom as the 06 days, mainly because that game was so hyped and expected to be amazing. People were ready to get their faces melted off by 06 and instead got one of the biggest whiplashes in gaming history. That's not the case here. Most people here met the movie with massive skepticism the moment we found out they were aiming for live action. If the series can survive that all that - and still crank out games then a movie that doesn't even pander to fans isn't even a speedbump IMO.

Sonic has survived no less than 2 silver bullets in 06 and Rise of Lyric that would without a doubt obliterate lesser franchises. He's probably the closest thing to unkillable... Mostly in part to his awesome character design that the movie ironically craps all over lol.

While I agree that Sonic will survive that, the flip side of the inspirational statement that it has survived two silver bullets that would kill other franchises, is that it should have been able to dodge those bullets and most other AAA series would have.  

Ultimately, the only reason 06 is as bad as it is is because they released it unfinished and unfixed, while Rise of Lyric was a train wreck of executive meddling burning down what should have been a good game.

That this series has kept on going despite those missteps actually owes less to Sonic's innate charm than to how Sega is rich enough to recover from them, which is another way of saying Sega is rich enough to keep making these missteps.

Also, while 06 may not have killed Sonic, in a lot of ways it still hasn't recovered.  The series has never again been truly ambitious, and that alone keeps it from ever again being the way it was in the Genesis era.  Rise of Lyric's failures, moreover, helped wreck their plans to introduce a new generation of children to the brand, though Cartoon Network shares a lot of blame.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's worth noting that '06 happened near the height of Sonic's popularity, and Lyric not long after Generations which was by many considered a return to form. Currently the franchise is at the lowest point it's ever been since, and it's gotten to a point that stuff no longer sells on brand recognition alone - I doubt people will be as forgiving to a trainwreck released today, even if it's ultimately a separate venture to the core games.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

56 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

While I agree that Sonic will survive that, the flip side of the inspirational statement that it has survived two silver bullets that would kill other franchises, is that it should have been able to dodge those bullets and most other AAA series would have.  

Eh. I dunno.I don't know if you can apply the logic like that.

Nintendo didn't dodge the silver bullet with Other M and Metroid was as AAA as they come. That franchise still hasn't recovered and just scrapped Prime 4 to start over. They know they are under the scope to produce.

Fallout and MGS just got sniped by 2 silver bullets in MGS Survive and Fallout 76. Those arn't first party games, but I think they would qualify as AAA franchises. Time will tell the damage that happens there.

I mean, I would like to think that the companies involved could do more from letting this kind of thing get so far out of hand, but hindsight is 20/20. We could cide Sega for makeing similar mistakes multiple times, but 06 was a perfect storm....

56 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Also, while 06 may not have killed Sonic, in a lot of ways it still hasn't recovered.  The series has never again been truly ambitious, and that alone keeps it from ever again being the way it was in the Genesis era.  Rise of Lyric's failures, moreover, helped wreck their plans to introduce a new generation of children to the brand, though Cartoon Network shares a lot of blame.

I agree the scars left by 06 are still visible, but there is no way you can say the series hasn't been ambitious. Unleashed in of itself was a all hands on deck back to the drawing board approach oozing with ambition. It redefined the next 10 years of Sonic games and you can feel the effort put behind it just by looking and listening to it. The exotic locales. the authentic musics, the new engine, Sonic Team buckled down and upped the ambition for that one. Even Rise of Lyric was a part of an incredibly ambitious multi-pronged assault to launch a new offshoot of the franchise. Boom was supposed to be its own thing - and they came out swinging with 2 games, a comic and a TV show. Funny how the games were the thing that dragged the whole operation down.

As bad as 06 was, it hasn't diminished the ambitions of the franchise. Its too strong for that. The movie won't change that either. Bioware didn't scare them off from western developers despite that shooting them in the foot. Boom's demise won't stop another TV series from popping up 6 or 7 years from now.

The series will do what it always has. Sidestep them find some new master plan to hitch its wagon to and roll with that until it can't. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I won't lie, it'd be sort of dumb if Paramount didn't release a trailer this week. People on Twitter think that if it doesn't play during the trailers/before Endgame [online], then it'll get overshadowed by everything else.

Which maybe isn't untrue considering Star Wars and The Lion King both got trailers this month. There's possibly nothing else showing this week. Paramount! Where the hell is it!?

They can wait until June to release the trailer and it would still be perfectly reasonable time frame to start marketing. Seriously, I don't understand the insistence that they have to release a trailer NOW otherwise it means Paramount Is making a mistake or.. Hiding the movie? 😕 Paramount didn't release a trailer for Bayturtles until the movie was 5 months away 

24 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

They can wait until June to release the trailer and it would still be perfectly reasonable time frame to start marketing. Seriously, I don't understand the insistence that they have to release a trailer NOW otherwise it means Paramount Is making a mistake or.. Hiding the movie? 😕 Paramount didn't release a trailer for Bayturtles until the movie was 5 months away 

Releasing a trailer that late is not always the most wise decision. The reason why it's smart if they released it online right now during this week (honestly as early as possible), while there's potentially nothing else being advertised, it could blow up online, and everyone will be talking about it. Then when they show the trailer during Endgame (which is in 2 weeks now), a movie that will likely reach over $1 billion in box office, people who saw the trailer online will be reminded of its existence, and people in the theater who hadn't seen it will get to see the trailer.

If they released it next week or waited until Endgame itself releases, it'll just get overshadowed by Endgame itself (Like how The Happy time Murders failed in box office even though the trailer was played during Deadpool 2). If they release it right now ahead of time, and THEN show it during Endgame, a lot of people will at least be aware of it, and will likely go out and see it.

This is pretty much the perfect time to release the trailer.

Also Paramount has officially stopped advertising their new film Pet Sematary, and they haven't uploaded anything on their YouTube channel for this week (normally they upload something every week). It's gonna be while before they start marketing Dora.

Sonic is likely going to be the next thing on their channel this week. They have literally nothing else to show right now, and it's perfect timing since every big film has already been advertised this month for Endgame.

If that Twitter post of that chick saying the trailer is coming very soon is true guys, and all this evidence pointing towards it...this might be it guys. Be prepared for anything this week.

• Nice Smile 1

I expect we'll see a Terminator trailer before anything for Sonic.

4 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Just look at Tomb Raider for instance. That movie made a DECENT profit but MGM are hungry for franchises so they've greenlit another one. The truth is, we do not know how this movie is going to perform. But I can make an educated guess and say that there is a good chance this movie is at least a moderate success. 

Based on typical revenue splits it made a small loss for them but probably has done well enough on DVD and streaming to make it worth trying a sequel.

1 hour ago, Gamecuber64 said:

This is pretty much the perfect time to release the trailer.

There is no perfect time to release it. There are pros and cons to everything.

Something you may want to consider is fatigue and over-saturation. The earlier you unleash something onto the masses, the longer period of time you will then be forced to keep their attention in the run up to the real deal. Dropping a trailer now may raise awareness for its existence, but its not going to sell any tickets this far in advance of the movie. Then as a marketing firm, you are tasked with keeping the attn of the public from waining too much all the way up until release. It doesn't do you much good to shove a product people can't buy in their faces, only to have them forget about when the time comes to put their cash down.

Then you have to consider oversaturation. Even if the trailer is awesome - subsequent trailers will likely have a diminished return on investment as people will already have been exposed to it and set expectations. Keeping people invested over 7 months, rather than 5 might require a presence that will eventually bore or even annoy people when it comes time for that final push. You can't just keep trotting material out there either - as you'll spoil too much of the film.  We've seen what happens when Sega tries to piece-meal hype material. Its not pretty and everyone ends up pissy.

There is no rush here. There shouldn't be a rush. It'll happen in due time.