Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Random guy on the internet trying to start drama over the movie by making people believe they're in "panic mode" or whatever. What else is new. I don't get why they want there to be something wrong with this movie so bad lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I’m pretty much over the design. I actually don’t think his design is that bad. I think he look fine. I still think the movie will be an decent action fun movie to watch. I like the cast and the crew. They seem pretty enthusiastic to be in this movie. The reactions that we hear are positive so far.

I’m happy that we are now getting a official Sonic movie. I just can’t wait to see the trailer. Maybe it’s might come out before Avengers Endgame which comes out this Friday, or maybe Detective Pikachu? I guess we should see.

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:
Not news really, but this guy doubt that the team intended to waited for months to released the trailer. He bashed the movie a lot.

Oof. 

Reveal hidden contents

Oof is also my response to reading three wrong verb tenses in one sentence. 🤨

As to those posts and what they claim, maybe it’s true, but I don’t see how they have anything left to lose by releasing the trailers.  Fans already know what Sonic looks like in this, that it’s about him befriending a human cop, and that there aren’t many game elements in it.  Many fans are critical, but they’re also well-braced to see a trailer that shows these things to be true.  They may want something more fan service-laden ala Detective Pikachu, but they don’t expect it.  A trailer should display whether or not they can still squeeze entertainment out despite those issues, and maybe they cannot, but on that level someone’s prior experience with Sonic doesn’t really matter.  Whether or not someone knows or cares about Sonic has nothing to do with whether that person finds jokes about breastfeeding funny, so by all means show it to fans.

On the topic of damage control, I think the reason it feels that way to some people has to do with the general ignorance the majority of us possess for movie marketing. It's been pointed out to me to be the case on more than enough occasions but even then there are things that just seem to be unusual choices.

Proudly boasting about changing Sonic's design in an IGN interview released on the same day as the motion poster, yet then actively obscuring or hiding the design that they are so proud of. If you are so proud of the design why hide it? It reeks of fear of backlash (who can blame them though when dealing with this fanbase) and then their only defense to the backlash being a weak attempt at starting a meme doesn't read well.

Then their is their love of Sonic and even history with Sonic and how they have talked about that, yet in the same breath have said Sonic just can't work unless they use their vision. It reads as the height of arrogance which again then is painted even worse by them not addressing the backlash. Of course they aren't obligated to respond to the backlash like the panicking aspects of the franchise seem to feel entitled to, but that very entitlement results in the whole situation being easily painted as worse than it is.

Then of course their is the constant positivity from the cast and crew about how great their work is and how they can't wait for the world to see it, and then the world not being able to see anything officially except for some offsetting hairy legs and a less so but still offsetting silhouette up to four months prior to a good deal of the self congratulatory commentary of the cast and crew. It can come off as both patronizing or damage controlling depending on who you ask.

My own beefs with the movie aside, a lot of the above is why I feel like this movie suffers heavily from people knowing too much about something they don't know enough about. It's a matter of knowing things they shouldn't know at this point, but none of the context to apply it to. I'm obviously part of the guilty party myself as some of my above posts attest too, but as a member of the guilty party I can at least see why some would find Paramount's actions to appear as damage control with probably the single most blatant example being that pic with Aaron and Iizuka with the director and producer saying that they're listening to our feedback after that very same producer already said they put their foot down when SEGA was not happy with the design. It's not necessarily damage control, but to a lot of people it is very easy to read as such.

At this point, I think above all else it's going to be an interesting study for those who care to, to see how much people's perception of the movie changes once the first trailer comes out. Me, I know I'm still waiting to see if the trailer can change my tune even though as of now Movie Sonic is #notmysonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

Now, with Detective Pikachu getting an song and an music video by Rita Ora and Kygo. Do you think Sonic might do the same thing? What singers do you think they might collaborate to make an song for the movie.

I feel like we are probably gonna to get more news of the marketing as we get closer to the release date of the movie. Like, you know companies making tie-in products to promote the movie. For example, 7-Eleven and Burger King started to promote the Detective Pikachu movie closer before the month the movie is released.

It will be SO HILARIOUS if Tom is more useful than Tails has been under Kishimoto’s clapperboard. You finally got someone to be competent alongside Sonic, and it’s... Tom. (This ignores things like the comic). On topic, will Tom be even more disliked than Chris? 

Why are sponsorships being spoken about here? They're part of a film's marketing campaign, yes, but they're purely to raise interest in the film. I personally don't see it as a discussion point, or even something to look forward to.

• Thumbs Up 2

This guy claiming they're sitting on the trailer is talking out of his arse. Just some random Twitter kid*. The CinemaCon trailers had unfinished CGI with the old designs. There's no 'damage control'. They obviously aren't ready yet. Why in the f-ing fuck would they release a trailer a year before the movie? I swear, the negatively this is getting from the 'fans' is cringy af.

*Edit: I assume. Although he had a lot of followers. I've been on the beer all day. Typing is hard.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

Why in the f-ing fuck would they release a trailer a year before the more?

I've been trying to tell people that since the end of last year.

You know the trailer could just randomly pop up on the internet at anytime. It's doesn't have to be shown in front of Avengers: Endgame or Detective Pikachu.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

You know the trailer could just randomly pop up on the internet at anytime. It's doesn't have to be shown in front of Avengers: Endgame or Detective Pikachu.

It's a lot more professional and normal when a trailer is advertised during another movie. It could release AROUND the same time as Detective Pikachu. We could get this week even, or (likely) next week online. That Star Wars trailer that came out last week is clearly going to be shown during Endgame. That Lion King trailer we got at like the beginning of this month is obviously going to show during Endgame. Sure, it's all Disney, but what I'm saying is, trailers NORMALLY are released to be displayed for another film (even if the trailer was put online a head of time).

Considering we hadn't gotten the Sonic trailer last week (which would have been perfect if they were showing it during Endgame), I am definitely predicting Detective Pikachu now, hands down. Live action video game movie being advertised during an insanely hyped up live action video game movie. The trailer is either going to release this week or the week after online. We're getting close guys, I guarantee it.

The baby Sonic plush is also being sold in August, so we know for sure the trailer will release before then. I doubt Disney is going to let Paramount advertise their film during Toy Story 4, considering it wasn't shown during Endgame, and Sonic and Frozen 2 are pretty much in competition at this point. Paramount and Warner Bros. have had relations before, so the Sonic trailer coming, again and I quote, "AROUND" the same time as Detective Pikachu is a very safe bet.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I doubt Disney is going to let Paramount advertise their film during Toy Story 4

Would they even have a say in that? I would have thought advertising would be arranged with the theatres.

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Would they even have a say in that? I would have thought advertising would be arranged with the theatres.

They absolutely do NOT get a say in that. When theatres receive movies from the distribution companies they literally just recieve the movie. The adverts and trailers are an entirely separate thing that would be dealt with between the cinema chain and the various marketers who want their stuff shown. The only sort of rule that exists is that anything shown before the movie must have an equal or lower age rating than the main feature.

It's why I'm perplexed there's still talk of 'X movie is coming out, maybe Sonic will show up there'. Yes, for sure there will eventually be a movie released that has the Sonic trailer attached but it won't be this one film we have to try and seek out. Limiting a trailer to one specific movie would be a ridiculous move that only serves to limit your potential audience. Likewise depending on region the trailer may show up sooner or later or attached to different films entirely. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

James Marsden has been in a film with a CGI character before. Hop. It was met with terrible reviews by critics, but that doesn't mean James didn't improve his acting in the years to come for Sonic. I believe that was James's first CGI-incorporated film, so by now he should be well-versed on how to relay lines and portray the character he is meant to portray efficiently. That being said, will he be a good sidekick to Sonic? Possibly. We won't know until the trailer is released. But until then, we have to be hopeful that everyone involved is true to the character and will represent Sonic well. 

I'm thinking the movie might be Venom 2.0. Well. you know, the movie is probably gonna to get panned by critics as expected, but still is an decent action packed movie to watch. The movie is probably gonna to make a lot of money, just like Venom did.

Just been reading through that Lawliet's tweets. Seems to know their shit when it comes to Sonic movie. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh. That sucks. I was getting really excited.

Sorry to get your hopes up guys. =/

• Thumbs Up 1

I really want to say something...

There are some things I know about this movie that you guys don't...

I am just tired of you guys comparing this movie to bad ones, like Venom for example.