Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

6 minutes ago, Myst said:

You're entitled to your opinion. To be honest, I'm not that enthusiasatic about certain elements of the film (Sonic only, WHITE HANDS, lack of side characters, small town setting, skinny Robotnik) but I'm still excited to see Sonic on the big-screen for the first time.

And the haters should bear in mind that if they ever want a 'true' Sonic movie with Tails, Knuckles, Chaos Emeralds, etc. Or just a 100% animated Sonic movie like many of us wanted in the first place, then THIS movie needs to be a success, whether you like it or hate it with a passion. The studio needs to see that Sonic is a profitable investment.

Take the Smurfs movies. Fans HAAATED the first two films, but eventually a full CGI Smurfs film was made to appease the die-hard fans. (But that was only because the live-action movies were a financial success with kids so the studio was willing to take a chance on a reboot) If the Sonic movie bombs, NO studio will EVERRRRR want to touch the brand again. So you can kiss any chances of a game accurate CGI movie goodbye, or the potential of seeing characters like Tails, Knuckles, Amy or Shadow ever appear on the big-screen.

Well, Illumination apparently still wants to do a CGI Cat in the Hat, even though the original live action one bombed. 

5 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Well, Illumination apparently still wants to do a CGI Cat in the Hat, even though the original live action one bombed. 

True, but Cat in the Hat is a beloved children's character that's been around for decades. Everyone knows who he is and has childhood memories of the book. 

Sonic on the other hand, is kind of a niche character as he doesn't have the clout of say Mario or Pikachu, and he has had a ton of negative criticisms over the years. 

Honestly, I'm surprised a Sonic movie is even being made at this point, but hey, i'm not complaining.

22 minutes ago, Myst said:

If the Sonic movie bombs, NO studio will EVERRRRR want to touch the brand again

I could live with that.

And I'm certainly not going to use it as a reason to hope a bad movie does well.

• Thumbs Up 9

28 minutes ago, Myst said:

And the haters should bear in mind that if they ever want a 'true' Sonic movie with Tails, Knuckles, Chaos Emeralds, etc. Or just a 100% animated Sonic movie like many of us wanted in the first place, then THIS movie needs to be a success, whether you like it or hate it with a passion. The studio needs to see that Sonic is a profitable investment.

Uhh, no. What this would end up doing is causing them to see the bad stuff in the live action version, say "this is working" and continue making movies based around that. This film doesn't need to be a success because this franchise is marketable in of itself, and anyone with half a brain can see that given how long it's ongoing. Either the studio realises it was their own failings that caused it to fail, or they stupidly misblame it. But rewarding them for making a bad product (if it is a bad product) just encourages them to continue making the same bad product.

Sonic Unleashed wasn't made because Sonic 06 sold well, and was a commercial success with critics and fans, Unleashed was made because SEGA half-assed 06 so much that brand recognition would no longer be enough to sell people on Sonic any longer, and they knew if they didn't get their shit together that the franchise would be dead in the water. What you're suggesting is absolutely not good whatsoever - you're just suggesting people reward them for shit, in the vain hope that maybe they'll consider an animated movie, instead of taking a stand to show they don't like what's being pushed on them.

If people want an animated movie, or whatever - then they first need to make it abundantly clear that there's a problem in the first place, and that they will not be rewarding the studio for said problem. If the studio decides it's a failure, well then they can't accept their own mistakes with what they made. But given we're still gonna run around with this absolutely ridiculous "haters" mindset, this seems like just another attempt to justify why this movie needs to be a smash hit success even though it really doesn't, and plenty of people have reasons for not wanting it to be.

33 minutes ago, Myst said:

Take the Smurfs movies. Fans HAAATED the first two films, but eventually a full CGI Smurfs film was made to appease the die-hard fans. (But that was only because the live-action movies were a financial success with kids so the studio was willing to take a chance on a reboot) If the Sonic movie bombs, NO studio will EVERRRRR want to touch the brand again. So you can kiss any chances of a game accurate CGI movie goodbye, or the potential of seeing characters like Tails, Knuckles, Amy or Shadow ever appear on the big-screen.

No actually. What happened was The Smurfs (the original) was a success, banking on nostalgia, and pop culture nonsense - the thing that keeps being called out for with the Sonic movie. However, people were already suckered into the first one, so it got enough money to justify a sequel. Then the sequel happened, forcefully taking the setting back to the real world, and continuing the same issues people already had with the first one. The problem is that no one was suckered into the same nonsense this time around, and the movie fell far short of what Sony's expectations for the movie was after their planning and timing. 

This caused them to realise that they still had a good IP, but no one wanted the live-action nonsense presented to them, so they then scrapped a third sequel to reboot the series. 

• Thumbs Up 7

33 minutes ago, Myst said:

You're entitled to your opinion. To be honest, I'm not that enthusiasatic about certain elements of the film (Sonic only, WHITE HANDS, lack of side characters, small town setting, skinny Robotnik) but I'm still excited to see Sonic on the big-screen for the first time.

Well now I'm conflicted. I don't want to watch the movie, but I also don't want Sonic's film career to be DOA. What should I do?

1 hour ago, Myst said:

No one eats at a shitty restaurant in the hopes that their patronage will allow the staff to make better food in the future; they find a better fucking place to eat.

I'm tired of movie studios and especially video game studios asking me to pay for things I don't want in the hopes of maybe getting what I want in the future. Look at Capcom and their famous "tests" if you want a decent example. "Want a new Darkstalkers game? Prove it by buying the old games, again, and maybe we'll consider greenlighti- oops, guess you don't want a new game since you didn't want the old games. Here's more DLC costumes for Street Fighter instead."

Sonic doesn't need a movie franchise and none of us need a Sonic movie. I don't have any hopes for this film, but if I'm wrong and it turns out fine, or even good, I'll pay to see it. Not out of some nebulous duty or obligation to a corporate entity focused on perpetual growth in a ravenously capitalistic landscape, but because enjoyable or otherwise thought provoking art should be patroned for its own sake.

• Thumbs Up 5

I am going to give this thing a fair chance but I definitely can see this turning out to be pretty bad. I am still waiting on hearing what Sonic's new voice will sound like among other things. Hopefully it sounds more like some of the previous Sonic voices than the current one.

It's really too late to play the "support this unfaithful movie or else we won't ever get a faithful movie" card.  This movie has been developed not only well-after the first Super Mario Bros movie was panned, but during a time that people are developing a new one who are making it animated specifically out of aversion to what it was when it was live-action.  Likewise, the first Pokemon movie was panned since it was really just a longer episode of the anime, making it intangible as a movie to anyone who wasn't following it, the creators of Detective Pikachu have seemed to take that in mind when making their own movie a standalone story, and almost everyone reacts well to it. 

That's even before talking about the broader stigma against making video game movies.  Given two decades of video game movies that rarely get better than "bad in a fun way", most people don't feel they owe video game movies good will, and likewise, even many dedicated gamers don't think they're owed good video game movies.  Good movies aren't what gamers are here for; good games are, and in the best case scenario a game can have the admirable qualities of a movie without having to compromise their identity for the sake of outsiders.  Moreover, the companies know that.  They understand, as do we, that a movie adaptation that sucks isn't going to kill a franchise.  The live-action Mario movie is still the film most people think of when explaining that video game movies suck, but it hasn't stopped Mario from being the best selling game series.  Well-selling enough that in fact, the creators have more than enough money to try for another movie, in another style.  That also pertains to Sonic.  This movie failing is not going to kill the brand.  It sure won't help, and it won't necessarily convince them to make a movie more to our liking right away, but we also don't need a movie more to our liking.  We just need Sonic to stay alive to keep doing things.

Instead of supporting an unfaithful live-action interpretation of Sonic, paradoxically in the hopes that the people who made it will look at that support and decide to make something completely different, I think instead I'll support the recent official Sonic animations which care about the characters as established.

47 minutes ago, FFWF said:

...in the hopes that the people who made it will look at that support and decide to make something completely different...

While in agreement with this, I'm pretty sure the idea was that different people would possibly, potentially, maybe, kinda, hopefully, eventually make a better "different" product.

For Sonic the Hedgehog.

It feels to me like this film's creators hope we operate on the logic that if we pay for something scanty, they'll invest in more meat next time around.  

Operating once again on the idea that Shrek's Donkey was telling the truth on Reddit--and it's likely he was, since so much has been corroborated--they'll be sequel-hooking the end of this movie, teasing something closer to the games.  I can't say for sure that it will be a lie, either, since the first Paramount Ninja Turtles film was really underwhelming to me but the second delighted me with all of the fanservice.  However, I definitely understand why this feels so exploitive to many people.

Assuming they're testing the waters to see if Sonic at its most bare can work as a movie, that they've played it more like some other movies than any other Sonic media says to me that they expect more profits from moviegoers than Sonic's fans.  If they make enough money, they'll probably throw us more bones, but if they flop they probably won't feel sorry at all they didn't throw the main course to us when they had the chance.  They'll blame Sonic for not being lucrative.  Fans will blame them for not understanding the way to make Sonic lucrative.  Laypeople won't likely care either way.  Sonic will go on, as will mockery of Sonic.  Sega will go on, having so much less reliance on Sonic than in Sonic's heyday.

30 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

While in agreement with this, I'm pretty sure the idea was that different people would possibly, potentially, maybe, kinda, hopefully, eventually make a better "different" product.

For Sonic the Hedgehog.

Boycotting would probably be a better idea for that, since Paramount merely has a license to make Sonic movie's for a limited time.  They could pay to renew that license, but if they think they aren't making any more money with their vision for Sonic, they'll stop paying and movie rights, if any, could be sold elsewhere.

21 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

Honestly there are worse things In life lads, if you like the look of the movie go see it. If not, don't. Simples. 

It's not the movie most fans were expecting but it's not end of the world is it. 

❤️

No.  But it's also arguably a bit less tolerable when filmmaking based on such things has gone through a lot more refinement, or at the very least, trial and error.  This film in its current form has too many similarities to past mediocre-to-bad movies it should have avoided.  If being bad won't be the end of the world, even being good won't get it out of Pikachu's shadow.

29 minutes ago, Myst said:

Going to have to take this with an grain of salt. This could be fake or real. So, if the trailer dropping this week, I will believe it.

BTW, I saw this in the theater.:

Screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-5.47.32-PM.png

So, I'm going to talk a little about the director, while we waited for that trailer to come. Jeff Fowler is Tim's longtime partner at Blur Studio. However, he is not that well known. They both previously work on some cutscenes for Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog. He previously work on the animation research and development for Where the Wild Things Are. The only film he directed before was an short animated film called Gopher Broke. The short was released in 2004. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film on the same year. Tim Miller also work on the short.  The movie was about an gopher who hatches a clever plan to get a quick snack, but discovers that even the best laid plans can go udderly awry. So, yea this is the story. It's available on YouTube, if you want to watch it. I kinda mixed on what he is doing with the Sonic movie, which is his first feature film that he directed. However, I hope he can make it a decent movie to watch.

Gopher_Broke__10.jpg

Spoiler

h4rl4l4ej9vx.png

goon-movie-tim-miller-jeff-fowler-interview.jpg

Df2O0U9W0AE7QFB.jpg

shadow.jpg

silver.jpg

SonicNext_Eggman_Mustache_2006-04-04.jpg

sonic02_.jpg

sonic03_.jpg

deluxepaint-ba-soldier-shadow-th-1-82fb60a3-4ujb.jpg

tumblr_pkl1rswOXH1xwli78o1_1280.jpg

1234_sonic_05-728x809.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

I'm with you on this. 

It's been one heck of a wait my friend, but in ten days, the internet is going to explode. 😎

BTW, I just typed in Sonicthehedgehogmovie.com. It now redirects to Paramount's website with a blank screen, saying 'OK'

For the past year or so, sonicthehedgehogmovie.com simply lead to a GoDaddy 'This domain is for sale' message. 

They're preparing something!

• Thumbs Up 5

9 minutes ago, Myst said:

It's been one heck of a wait my friend, but in ten days, the internet is going to explode. 😎

BTW, I just typed in Sonicthehedgehogmovie.com. It now redirects to Paramount's website with a blank screen, saying 'OK'

For the past year or so, sonicthehedgehogmovie.com simply lead to a GoDaddy 'This domain is for sale' message. 

Most certainly!

A long wait but we about to be filled with joy. 

I do believe we will get something next week, maybe a EW first look...

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Myst said:

Huh, interesting. I guess we will have to see about this. I'm excited! Can't wait!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/26/2019 at 8:36 PM, KHCast said:

Blaming the haters already and coming up with a hypothetical situation where the trailer gets review bombed immediately definitely seems like it’s being done just to vindicate people’s own hype and feel secure in their view of the films potential to be honest. That way, if a majority of people dislike it, people can just go “yeah, those people are just blind haters, the film looks fine ”

Reminds me of the reaction to Ghostbusters Answer the Call. If you didn’t like the trailer, which was at the time (still is I think??) the most disliked video on YouTube, then you MUST be a sexist hater! You MUST hate women! Yeah, just because it was an all-female Ghostbusters cast, not a fucking awful looking movie with terrible SNL-style humour and way too much CGI. Oh, and guess what? It wasn’t a very good movie and it disappointed at the box office, so much so that they’re making an actual successor to the original two Ghostbuster movies, not a sequel to the reboot!  

Anyway if we are going to get the trailer for the Sonic movie in a week or so...for real, then I’m anxiously waiting for it. I doubt it will change my mind though about the quality they’re aiming for and God forbid I’m called a “hater” for not liking the tone, humour, Sonic’s ugly design etc.