Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

How can one be called a "hater" when it's as clear as translucent glass that you simply "dislike" everything currently known about the movie and what it stands for?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

How can one be called a "hater" when it's as clear as translucent glass that you simply "dislike" everything currently known about the movie and what it stands for?

Saying you dislike something is pretty much the same as saying you hate it.

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Hate means you have a STRONG or INTENSE dislike of something. I doubt everyone on here who is saying they dislike the concept or description of the movie are saying that they outright hate the movie.

Edited by Ruomarta
  • Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Operationgamer17 said:

No it isn't and I strongly dislike that you've said this.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just wanted to let everyone know, don't expect a Sonic trailer this week. According to trailertrack, Paramount is scheduled to debut a trailer for a thriller film called 'Crawl' instead in the next day or two. 

Hopefully we'll get a new poster for the Sonic Movie though. Or an exclusive look at Eggman. 

May 7th guys. That's gotta be the day.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

54 minutes ago, Myst said:

Just wanted to let everyone know, don't expect a Sonic trailer this week. According to trailertrack, Paramount is scheduled to debut a trailer for a thriller film called 'Crawl' instead in the next day or two. 

Hopefully we'll get a new poster for the Sonic Movie though. Or an exclusive look at Eggman. 

May 7th guys. That's gotta be the day.

I still hope we get something next week... maybe a full reveal?

3 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

You can dislike something without hating it. Boiling down viewpoints to seething hatred or complete love is not only silly, but not even close to how things actually work.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

So is the opposite true as well? Is liking the same as loving?

You know, if the "haters" didn't offer well constructed arguments to why they don't like the movie's direction I could understand yours and Myst's frustration, but that's not the case. You guys on the other hand have nothing to argue back aside from "I've been waiting for this for years, don't ruin this for me" or "It's Sonic, we need to support our franchise".

Unless you actually have a counter argument, maybe leave the thread for a while if people's opinions bother you so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know I said back in February that the "negative people vs. positive people" argument is stupid because we all have separate objective opinions? This whole "haters vs. nonhaters" is literally just the exact same thing in another form.

22 minutes ago, pppp said:

You know, if the "haters" didn't offer well constructed arguments to why they don't like the movie's direction I could understand yours and Myst's frustration, but that's not the case. You guys on the other hand have nothing to argue back aside from "I've been waiting for this for years, don't ruin this for me" or "It's Sonic, we need to support our franchise".

Unless you actually have a counter argument, maybe leave the thread for a while if people's opinions bother you so much.

I apologize if I offended you with the haters comment. Honestly I wasn't even referring to just this site, but rather the internet as a whole. Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, etc.

The Sonic Movie has recieved a lot of negative backlash on all kinds of websites and I'm sure there's some people out there who'd very proudly call themselves haters of this movie because they are so passionate about the character and don't want to see what they percieve to be the butchering of a childhood icon.

I do personally believe some of the hate is a tad hyperbolic though, and I'm sure there are probably some individuals who are merely jumping on the hate bandwagon because it's the trendy thing to do.

As I stated before, I'm not 100% onboard with certain elements of this film, (heck I might even join the critics if the trailer disappoints) I just want everyone to keep an open mind and give this thing a chance.

Sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Myst said:

The Sonic Movie has recieved a lot of negative backlash on all kinds of websites and I'm sure there's some people out there who'd very proudly call themselves haters of this movie because they are so passionate about the character and don't want to see what they percieve to be the butchering of a childhood icon.

People don't generally self identify as "haters," for the same reason as people don't consider themselves "villains." Not that being a "hater" is as bad or dangerous as a "villain," of course.

Not directing this at you or anyone in particular, but I guess the only point I'd like to make is that it's not a good idea to boil down people's opinions to "they just want to hate something/do bad things." Because yeah, those people exist, but they are the minority. The majority is a lot of people who are upset for many reasons and just might not know how to express themselves in a mature way.

• Thumbs Up 3

44 minutes ago, pppp said:

Agreed. I think boiling this down to a "Haters vs. Nonhaters" type of thing is silly, because we're all working off the exact same information, and I can't blame anyone for being skeptical about a Sonic...well, anything, really, with how much of a roller-coaster of quality this franchise is. Especially when the writers only have stoner and boner comedies to their names, that doesn't really inspire confidence either.

Sure, some people out there probably do blindly hate it. But of all the negativity surrounding the Sonic movie I've seen? Most of it is entirely justified.

The term “haters” seems like little more than a petty insult employed by people who seem to oppose standards on principle, as if merely exercising their right to say almost anything attains them the same venerability as that right.  As Winston Churchill pointed out, though, one person’s right to say something does not prevent other people’s right to say something negative in response.  Naturally, this isn’t a true issue of free speech and calling your detractors haters isn’t the same as wanting to silence them, but it does seem to imply that celebrities feel an obnoxious, egotistical sense of entitlement feel about themselves vs the rest of society.  Little do most seem to understand that it’s usually society giving them the privilege of being rich and famous, and society can take it away, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

I can't blame anyone for being skeptical about a Sonic...well, anything, really, with how much of a roller-coaster of quality this franchise is. Especially when the writers only have stoner and boner comedies to their names, that doesn't really inspire confidence either.

Okay, This here is a valid argument. I hope Patrick Casey & Josh Miller can bring us something special, but their resume doesn't spark a whole lot of confidence in me either. 

And giving Sonic white hands is possibly the stupidest idea i've ever heard of. Is a simple pair of gloves too much of a stretch for a TALKING BLUE HEDGEHOG FROM ANOTHER PLANET? Let's just be greatful Sonic isn't barefoot with red fur on his feet. 

That said, I like what i'm hearing from the trailer descriptions. The scene of Sonic dodging missles from a flying drone and spindashing a friggin' tank to pieces sounds EPIC.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 hours ago, Myst said:

Okay, This here is a valid argument. I hope Patrick Casey & Josh Miller can bring us something special, but their resume doesn't spark a whole lot of confidence in me either. 

And giving Sonic white hands is possibly the stupidest idea i've ever heard of. Is a simple pair of gloves too much of a stretch for a TALKING BLUE HEDGEHOG FROM ANOTHER PLANET? Let's just be greatful Sonic isn't barefoot with red fur on his feet. 

That said, I like what i'm hearing from the trailer descriptions. The scene of Sonic dodging missles from a flying drone and spindashing a friggin' tank to pieces sounds EPIC.

I think that sounds boringly overpowered; something the boost games have made me feel does not suit Sonic well.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I think that sounds boringly overpowered; something the boost games have made me feel does not suit Sonic well.

Speaking objectively here, that scenario pretty much sounds like typical Sonic The Hedgehog fare.

It is...the bare minimum of what should be expected from a basic action scene. No one said Sonic can't run on the moon, him destroying a tank is baby Sonic 1 level stuff.

21 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Speaking objectively here, that scenario pretty much sounds like typical Sonic The Hedgehog fare.

It is...the bare minimum of what should be expected from a basic action scene. No one said Sonic can't run on the moon, him destroying a tank is baby Sonic 1 level stuff.

Not at all.  There's nothing that can really be described as akin to a tank in Sonic 1.  There are robots that are smaller and lighter, and bosses that might be more like a tank, but they take multiple hits to defeat; Sonic can't just go right through them.

Edit: And that reminds me of an important point.  I don't want Sonic to go up against generic military equipment.  I want the iconic Badniks.  I can concede that too many characters from the games would make the movie a confusing starting point, but they have no excuse not to use more of the game's robots.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eggman's robots are totally gonna be generic military level newbs.

The anticipation is too much to handle.

13 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

They are like Transformers so close to '06 I'm guessing. They might be called Badniks

Probably similar to like these, I guess.:

Spoiler

0a499564a2b01a92f6ee38fd8f1f5b44e03d2ac4r1-1600-926v2_hq.jpg

Image result for sonic 06 robots

• Thumbs Up 3

Guys! I think we are getting a trailer this week. Detective Pikachu has its official premier (not a typical early screening like what it's gotten recently) on May 3rd. We might even get it that exact day.

Until we do see the trailer, I find speculation about when we'll get it ultimately pointless because every guess we've had so far up to this point has been wrong.

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Probably similar to like these, I guess.:

Hide contents

0a499564a2b01a92f6ee38fd8f1f5b44e03d2ac4r1-1600-926v2_hq.jpg

Image result for sonic 06 robots

Oh yes, I can definitely imagine the 2006 mechs getting into this film as they match up perfectly with the realistic tone their going for.

You know, Blur Studio worked on Shadow and 06 right? Two of the most hated games in the franchise right? So is it really a surprise if you stop and think about it that we are getting humans, alien origin stories, military conspiracies, and lack of really any of the things that people come to Sonic for? Really, it finally hit me how they can be fans of Sonic and make choices I don't like. It honestly kind of sucks to have that type of epiphany now of all times, but suddenly a lot of what I see going on with this film makes a lot more sense. Boy though, in a way it really does make it that much worse for me...

... On the bright side though 06 had a few really awesome cutscenes so pretty good chance that the action will indeed be top notch. A real shame about everything else putting me off though.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

You know, Blur Studio worked on Shadow and 06 right? Two of the most hated games in the franchise right? So is it really a surprise if you stop and think about it that we are getting humans, alien origin stories, military conspiracies, and lack of really any of the things that people come to Sonic for? Really, it finally hit me how they can be fans of Sonic and make choices I don't like. It honestly kind of sucks to have that type of epiphany now of all times, but suddenly a lot of what I see going on with this film makes a lot more sense. Boy though, in a way it really does make it that much worse for me...

... On the bright side though 06 had a few really awesome cutscenes so pretty good chance that the action will indeed be top notch. A real shame about everything else putting me off though.

I don't know much about them, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a quick google says Blur Studio is a production studio. It seems they were only involved in producing the CG cutscenes for the games you mentioned, which means they would have had zero influence on the storytelling choices of any Sonic game they worked on. They would have designed their robots and environments based on whatever the lead artists at Sonic Team wanted to be in the game.