Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

7 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I can't believe it's 2019 and I still need to use the "you don't have to be a chef to know that's shit on your plate" analogy. Or by that logic, should we not criticise Sonic games because, at most, very few people on here work at a game studio? 

It takes work, but when the end product of that work is something shit it'll get pointed out as such. As will the other, plenty viable routes that the defenders of this film (primarily) can't seem to comprehend. 

That's not what I'm saying; I'm not talking about the quality of the film. I think it looks fucking awful and I'm way less invested in it than people clearly are here (I barely ever look at this thread because I find the film so boring).

What I am saying is that you can't claim someone / a team didn't put effort in when you've never worked in that industry and have no idea what experience they underwent. Just because something is awful doesn't mean that the team behind it put no work in (and similarly, just because something's good doesn't mean that the team liked working there or put the effort in). 

I see this poisonous attitude applied to games like Sonic Boom: RIse of Lyric, until people realise that actually game production is hard and not as banal and simplistic as a lot of fans think when the working conditions leak out. Then fans change their attitude, say they feel sorry for the team and pretend they never talked shit about them putting in 'the bare minimum' in the first place.

Please try to read my posts thoroughly before rushing off to write an impassioned response to something I never said. It's something I see a lot of members do here.

A work can be incredibly well done with a lot of effort put into it, but if all that effort is completely misaimed and misdirected, putting in the wrong result, that defeats the point of having put in all that effort. A customer will not accept a large, mouthwatering beef steak when it's not the chicken schnitzel they ordered.

If their interpretation of Eggman is not recognisably Eggman, then they've failed as designers. It's the same reason that I personally do not like the Sonic design, or even the plot (which falls on the screenwriters instead).

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Absolutely 1

Sure, and that's fine to pont out. I think Sonic Team tried hard with Lost World and think that game's mediocre.

I think it's fine to call ideas lazy and uninspired too. My problem is when people look at a film, think it sucks and then say the team put no work in when they have no idea what they are talking about.

I only have such a problem with it because it's such a pravelent thought online (people on the internet are typically very impressionsble).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

4 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I think it's fine to call ideas lazy and uninspired too. My problem is when people look at a film, think it sucks and then say the team put no work in when they have no idea what they are talking about.

I agree with this sort of sentiment 100%, but I haven't really seen anyone say anything like that about this movie specifically? Even outside of this site.

• Thumbs Up 5

29 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Sure, and that's fine to pont out. I think Sonic Team tried hard with Lost World and think that game's mediocre.

I only have such a problem with it because it's such a pravelent thought online (people on the internet are typically very impressionsble).

I think it's all because when people see that something was done "wrong," they turn around and say no effort or work was put into it, because if they did, they would have known "the right way" to do it.

Truth is, they did put in the effort. And as I have said, I feel they put the effort into the wrong places. It might be lazy, it's probably uninspired, the issue merely comes from, at least in my opinion, a waste of time and effort in making a product that ultimately isn't representative of the franchise it adapts.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Okay, how about they stick to saying...they put no thought into things?

But they put a LOT of work and effort into realizing their thoughtless ideas.

17 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I am not going to accept that factor in why they made Robotnik look like this.  I can accept it for a lot of things that would be CGI, since for all that it's over-exposed these days it's still not easy to make.  I can accept that including more realistic looking versions of Sonic's friends and environments is a tall order, as is introducing them without making the movie feel too busy.  But you're really going to have to explain why there's anything herculean about putting on a fake scalp, and a fake mustache that's bigger and a different color, and some padding under the clothes.  These are the sorts of things that school children can do for their plays.  Not to mention that you only moved the goalpost here after people tore apart your earlier "it's too zany" objection.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Plasme said:

He looks like something out of a saturday morning cartoon show.

They were on the right track, then.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

They were on the right track, then.

Yeah I mean I know this is apparently a controversial thing to say but Sonic is a silly cartoon and it'd be great if the movie actually reflected that a little. 

My problem with Robotnik here (aside from the fact they're calling him Robotnik to insure that the fight overhis name never dies) is that he's so boring looking. You could tell me that was live action Snidely Whiplash and I'd believe it because he doesn't really have that zany cartoony feel of Eggman just going off the picture. Maybe Jim will bring some Ace Ventura level energy but even then the problem is more the design and it lacking any of Eggman's charm or character.

6 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

What time is the trailer supposed to go up or rumored. Its bed time

It's supposedly starting at 3pm in North European time. So it's starting in less than 10 hours from the time I sent this reply.

The Robotnik design is almost as bad/lazy/misguided as I was expecting last year the moment they revealed Jim was hired for the part. Not bald, small mustache, no glasses, no fat suit... the only other incorrect thing they missed that I was expecting was giving him a black coat/outfit... that must had been REALLY hard for them to avoid. Hahaa! And yes I know they say he will look more like the iconic idea of Eggman by the end of the movie... but who bloody cares honestly? It still means for the bulk of the movie we have to follow a very incorrect looking Robotnik just because as with most other annoying Hollywood movies the staff cares FAR more about selling a actor's face then they ever do a actual memorable character. And it is even more lame considering the fact Jim has already played many movie parts where he got FAR more into character then he does here.

I would be more angry about this... except nothing about this movie has really gone outside my low expectations from the first moment they revealed it was a live action movie, after that moment I expected the worse possibilities going forward... so nothing has really surprised me.

• Thumbs Up 3

I will probably just wake up tomorrow morning just to see the trailer. I'm sure it will be there ready for me to watch, by the time I wake up. 

4 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I'm very interested in Detective Pikachu because they found a way to do what people keep claiming is impossible and translate these simple, cartoony designs into a "realistic" space, but it also doesn't shy away from the fact that it's a fantasy movie. It's instantly recognizable and I think it's resonating with people because of that. Are some of the designs a little grotesque looking or overdone? Sure, and it's a caveat that comes with those sorts of design decisions, but I don't feel it's a detriment to the film at all.

Not to mention that caveat actually lends itself to the premise of the world quite well, in it's own way. Pokemon are supposed to be fantastical monsters of their world, so if a couple of them do look demented, gritty, or animalistic because of the added detail, it's of no detriment to their concept itself when you think about it. It just lends itself to a different contextualization of the same universe, technically.

• Thumbs Up 9

Jim Carey looks like the villain from Lazy Town... and to be honest, I love it!! 

This movie is going to be legendary!

20190430_011640.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I actually kind of dig it, like his vest and Mousetache.

Sure its cliche but it suits the character.

The googles are a nice touch too

I would actually love to see the full suit though, if this is it then Carry can pull it off.

Certainly better than the Sonic reveal

I don't love it, but I don't hate it. Honestly, I'm just glad he has a red jacket lol

Leaked ending:

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup. There's Jim Carry with his eyes locked on that pesky animal in front of him.

Snoopy. 

Jim's role as the Red Baron here is going to be quite the send off for the Schultz universe I tell ya.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

Well to be honest I will be more fair to this than Sonics model earlier on.

As in here it makes sense, I dont think Carry will look good bald or in a fat suit so him having a alternate uniform to his sega counterparts makes sense.

Sure Carry has gone bald before but I dont think it suits him.

Since he is a non CGI character creative liberties are a little more excusable.

The CGI sonic model looks like crap because it is crap, the design is wrong, the look is wrong... at least here i can hand wave its a live action costume and not one of the good doctors more elaborate uniforms as seen in game.

Plus I would love this to be more like a suit evolution, he starts off looking like a more generic mad scientist but as the movie moves on he looks more like his game counterpart.

That would be awesome.

7 hours ago, Plasme said:

He looks like something out of a saturday morning cartoon show. It screams cringe, especially when he's supposed to be the villain.

Right, maybe that's because he's supposed to be closer to a cartoon character than a real life character. Taking a cartoon character and trying to make him fit into a real life scenario and expect us to take that approach seriously is way more cringy in my book.

With the same approach, can we get a live-action My Little Pony movie where the characters are real life horses, just painted to their colors?

• Thumbs Up 3

I hope today is the day...

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

So like 9 eastern in the US

Any idea what the Australian time will be?

8 hours ago, Plasme said:

If you adapted him in the most literal way imaginable then it would be a disaster.

If such heavy modifications are required, maybe you should stop and ask "Wait, what the hell are we doing?". But Hollywood sadly doesn't have the "stupid ideas" filter.

In other news: we all thought that picture was an Eggman/Robotnik design, when it turns out it's just Carrey reprising his role as Charlie Baileygates from Me, Myself and Irine:
58978339_3190327860993247_2483265037309837312_n.jpg.37db8fd22ec1bc6ad1d2e24e06d45186.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1