Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

50 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

I hope today is the day...

Any idea what the Australian time will be?

No but if you Google eastern time right now you can work out the difference and apply it.

2 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Well to be honest I will be more fair to this than Sonics model earlier on.

As in here it makes sense, I dont think Carry will look good bald or in a fat suit so him having a alternate uniform to his sega counterparts makes sense.

Sure Carry has gone bald before but I dont think it suits him.

Since he is a non CGI character creative liberties are a little more excusable.

The CGI sonic model looks like crap because it is crap, the design is wrong, the look is wrong... at least here i can hand wave its a live action costume and not one of the good doctors more elaborate uniforms as seen in game.

Plus I would love this to be more like a suit evolution, he starts off looking like a more generic mad scientist but as the movie moves on he looks more like his game counterpart.

That would be awesome.

Since when is looking good the point of a villain?  Sure; it might be in the case that the villain is duplicitous, but outwardly menacing villains are often stylistically ugly on purpose.  Think of The Penguin from Batman; almost every incarnation of him is fat, long-nosed and overdressed.  He's not supposed to sell his actor's identity; he's supposed to sell his character's identity.  Granted he's been more often animated than live-action, but the point stands either way.  Indeed, outlandish-looking characters can make more of an impression when live.

Honestly, it feels like playing Robotnik so visually conservative is just an attempt to cater to standard, adult moviegoers who are obsessed with celebrities, and for the record, I don't get that.  This is not the sort of movie premise conducive to that goal.  By nature the only sorts of non-children a Sonic movie interests are the sort who are there because they already like Sonic.  

Also, it's Jim Carrey.  I don't request Megan Fox be in new Paramount adaptations of things starring non-humans, and I don't go to such movies for sex appeal, but I understand why Megan Fox is expected to look like Megan Fox in such movies since there's little to her BUT sex appeal.  Yet sex appeal isn't what Jim Carrey is about.  He's about being goofy and hyperbolic.  His voice is a lot of his identity, and attaching it to an outlandish design would fit what many expect of him.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

I hope today is the day...

Any idea what the Australian time will be?

I think it would be 11 PM in Australia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thinking back to Detective Pikachu a second.

It would have been so easy to go the generic fish-out-of-water route.  Picture the following: "Pokemon Go The Movie."  Suddenly strange fantastical creatures are appearing in the real world!  You can turn them into data with your smartphones!  But now there's a super-powerful Pokemon who can't be beaten with cell phone technology alone, up steps the American everyman who made friends with his Pokemon to work together to defeat Mu-II!

...Instead, what we're getting is a pretty direct adaptation of an actual Pokemon game that exists, that has the confidence to actually be set in a fantasy world where its CGI subjects are already a part of everyday life.  It's a world away from the Sonic movie, the producers of which don't respect their audience enough to think they could accept a world outside of middle America or take seriously anything that looks remotely like a cartoon.  Their approach is so unimaginative, so provincial.

• Thumbs Up 9

The thing about "Jim Carrey has to be recognisable to sell the movie" just makes me think of a movie where Jim Carrey was buried under prosthetics yet people knew it was him.

b8d5a5f05bef28519e43a64b6448d158.png

For the time, The Grinch did quite well, yet would you be able to think thats Jim Carrey without me telling you? If you were watching the film, yes. He can act through the prosthetics, even though they were causing him serious pain. If I remember he had a fair amount for "A Series of Unfortanate Events" too. Carrey can draw people in, even if you can't see his face because his explosive acting style can work through the prosthetics. The costume isn't bad, but if it had a bit of prosthetics, he might look better.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Since when is looking good the point of a villain?  Sure; it might be in the case that the villain is duplicitous, but outwardly menacing villains are often stylistically ugly on purpose.  Think of The Penguin from Batman; almost every incarnation of him is fat, long-nosed and overdressed.  He's not supposed to sell his actor's identity; he's supposed to sell his character's identity.  Granted he's been more often animated than live-action, but the point stands either way.  Indeed, outlandish-looking characters can make more of an impression when live.

Honestly, it feels like playing Robotnik so visually conservative is just an attempt to cater to standard, adult moviegoers who are obsessed with celebrities, and for the record, I don't get that.  This is not the sort of movie premise conducive to that goal.  By nature the only sorts of non-children a Sonic movie interests are the sort who are there because they already like Sonic.  

Also, it's Jim Carrey.  I don't request Megan Fox be in new Paramount adaptations of things starring non-humans, and I don't go to such movies for sex appeal, but I understand why Megan Fox is expected to look like Megan Fox in such movies since there's little to her BUT sex appeal.  Yet sex appeal isn't what Jim Carrey is about.  He's about being goofy and hyperbolic.  His voice is a lot of his identity, and attaching it to an outlandish design would fit what many expect of him.

Well not all versions of the Penguin are grotesque

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_Cobblepot_(Gotham)

And again I am more fair on the costume department then on the CGI department.

Only because costuming is more complicated then most people give it credit for.

I don't know what is the logic behind the design, but maybe… they wanted to do their own thing on Eggman? Idk, instead of a cosplay. Yeah it's not that much besides Carrey with a moustache, but we know there is more in the movie about it… 

Anyway I'm sick of defending (or hating) the movie and its shit, I'll take it for what it is.

10 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well not all versions of the Penguin are grotesque

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_Cobblepot_(Gotham)

And again I am more fair on the costume department then on the CGI department.

Only because costuming is more complicated then most people give it credit for.

I repeat: How are fake bald scalps, larger fake mustaches, and false fat complicated?  It would be one thing if we were talking about a Godzilla suit, but this isn’t.  This is a human disguising as another human, and there’s plenty wiggle room to make him more Robotnik-like while still looking real.

Even if you can give a solid answer explaining why it’s complicated to do that sort of costume, it doesn’t change that movies have been doing that for probably a century now.  We have ample past experience with movies to expect better than we’re getting.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Scritch the Cat said:

I repeat: How are fake bald scalps, larger fake mustaches, and false fat complicated?  It would be one thing if we were talking about a Godzilla suit, but this isn’t.  This is a human disguising as another human, and there’s plenty wiggle room to make him more Robotnik-like while still looking real.

Even if you can give a solid answer explaining why it’s complicated to do that sort of costume, it doesn’t change that movies have been doing that for probably a century now.  We have ample past experience with movies to expect better than we’re getting.  

Well no its not complicated to do that kind of costume, but I do think maybe the costuming department may have had its own thing going on.

23 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I don't know what is the logic behind the design, but maybe… they wanted to do their own thing on Eggman? Idk, instead of a cosplay. Yeah it's not that much besides Carrey with a moustache, but we know there is more in the movie about it… 

Anyway I'm sick of defending (or hating) the movie and its shit, I'll take it for what it is. 

I think that was the intent, using the official uniform may not look good on Carry too.

Again costuming is not as easy as it sounds, there is always a bit of a process.

Even CGI models can be far less complex than making sure the outfit compliments the actor.

3 hours ago, Sonicfan7 said:

I think it would be 11 PM in Australia. 

4 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

Thank you! 30 minutes to go...

I don't know how accurate that is. For me it's not supposed to start for less than 2 hours

2 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I don't know how accurate that is. For me it's not supposed to start for less than 2 hours

Trailer Track confirmed that if it’s going to drop then it will drop at 2pm London time which is in 20 minutes 

4 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

It's here everyone!

Is it up on YouTube?

EDIT: and once again, I open a new page with this.

EDIT NO. 2: Found the YouTube version (also, fuck, someone posted the trailer.):

• Thumbs Up 1

That ending! Well, well, well...

OK, started off  bit "oh god" but I think it'll be a good movie overall.

• Fist Bump 2

I like it, it's got style but at this point it's really up to taste. Robotnik's design at the end is AWESOME, can't say much about Sonic, he's kind of off, not sure if it's a good design, but nice voice?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow that...

Looks really awful. From Sonic's fugly design to Jim Carrey acting more like Ace Ventura with a mustache.

As I said before, this is definitely Michael Bay's Leftover Film Scraps the Movie feat. Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 6

Uh. Well... Sonic looks worse than the leaks lol. Jean-Ralphio is good as his voice. The only joke that landed was the child in the bag stuff.

Eggman looks good at the end, but Mushroom Hill in the background looks amateurish?