Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Some things I've noticed. Sonic is wearing PUMA trainers and not Nike as shown in the leak, the ship Robotnik is flying has very small black and yellow stripes like the Egg Mobile and Robotnik has a Mega Drive/Genesis controller layout on his palm.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm astonished.  They actually managed to make it look worse than I expected.  I really didn't think that was possible.  How they thought Sonic was acceptable I can't imagine; he's slap-bang in the uncanny valley, genuinely physically unpleasant to look at.

Other than that - as stated above, the trailer is unbelievably generic.  There's not one fresh idea in there, everything is recycled.  The robots could come from absolutely any piece of media (except maybe Sonic).  The one shot of Carrey looking like anything except Carrey is an empty tease as apparently it's the very last shot of the film.  And Sonic's whole movement is lifeless and stiff, awkward.  It's embarrassing to look at.

I can't believe I don't have to exaggerate this.

27 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

imageproxy.php.jpg

Ugh.  I feel like I owe Ken Penders an apology.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow, that trailer was... really underwhelming. It wasn't the absolute disaster many were expecting, but nothing was particularly great or even good either. Barely anything surprising at all. I mean okay, Schwartz and Carrey do good performances here, especially Schwartz actually! He has a great voice for Sonic and he's someone that I've always wanted to play the character ever since I heard his previous VA work a couple of years ago, and I feel that he fits the character very well.

But I mean, this is actually a franchise that I feel has a lot of potential as a film. You'd think that with all the various different stuff in the franchise over the years, not only just games, but a well-received comic book series and a few damn decent animated series, they would have a lot of material to take inspiration from. But this just uses the bare essentials. I mean I actually do like the idea of the rings being used as teleportation devices. I thought that was a clever way of integrating them (though I still have no clue why they didn't just use the Chaos Emeralds as the MacGuffins here). But I mean, you have this vast ocean of ideas and concepts, and you really don't do anything with most of it?? I can understand starting out small when adapting something as vast as this series, but.. really?

I mean after the posters and the CinemaCon footage, I was expecting an average, mediocre, relatively inoffensive flick. And yeah, after seeing this I can confidently say that that is what we're gonna get.

The only thing close truly offensive about the trailer to me besides you-know-what, is just how bleh the integration of the CG is at parts. Now, a lot of the time it actually looks fine. But god the bad parts are just SO distracting and just kills the illusion. Sometimes the lighting on Sonic in those parts just look unfinished, a few of the robots don't really move as they should (talking about the moment when that tank was deployed in particular, something about the movement ain't right), there are a few REALLY distractingly obvious green screen effects.. heh, I should keep my inner animation and VFX expert to myself sometimes. :P 

But back on track, as someone who was pretty ambivalent and middle-of-the-road towards the film in the leadup to this trailer (after the initial shock of the design wore out) and expected it to just be mediocre, yeah it's mediocre. But it's really starting to set in that it's just mediocre and god, that feeling is just uncomfortable man..

So, basically TL;DR for this little ramble:

Spoiler

ok but that new poster actually looks pretty cool ngl (referring to the one where he's running up a building btw, didn't see that other one. that one looks fine too but that fuckin' dreamworks face tho lol)

• Thumbs Up 4

Welp. Posters are doing their job. Selling the movie. It actually looks decent. The colors look more saturated and nicer (the bege in his mouth and belly are too pale on the trailer, almost white, looks better on these posters). 

Too bad the trailer isn't cooperating xD

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

Here's another!

FB_IMG_1556632520227.jpg

Well after seeing the trailer and gangsta paradise I am actually looking forward to this. Outside his God awful mouth and that awkward falling scene. Humans were odd falling. Everything else looks interesting.

It's finally here.

And I watched it.

And I'm much more hyped for this movie now~

I do think that some shots of Sonic look much worse than others in the trailer... but some shots look legit awesome as well. I don't blame anyone for disliking or even hating his design - I can definitely understand that, seeing the finished product in motion. For ME, he looks fine and now that I've heard him speak, he SOUNDS fine. Heck, I think he sounds awesome.

Jim Carrey as Eggman... looks amazing. So over the top and silly. xDD The humor doesn't seem too forced and it doesn't seem cringy at all. So far, of course - things can always change as more gets revealed.

This looks like a silly, ridiculous, goofy movie and I am HERE for it.

I DO think that Detective Pikachu did a better job with the CG and bringing the characters into the real world. That being said... while I DO wanna see Detective Pikachu, I'm legitimately more interested in seeing the story of Sonic play out. I dunno, the trailers for Detective Pikachu have yet to sell me on the actual plot/storyline of that movie. I'll also say that, after watching this trailer... yeah, I don't see a soulless cashgrab made by people who don't care  or know about the source material. I don't see a purely corporate product made without any talent, effort, passion, whatever else some people are inevitably gonna say. I don't see that here. I see questionable design choices... and that's really about it.

But hey, that's just me.

Watching this trailer, I was grinning from ear to ear pretty much the whole time, and it was never in an ironic or this-looks-so-bad-it's-good way. It took me back to being a kid again and being excited to see something I love on the big screen. Even despite some parts where I was like "...yeah, right there, he doesn't look that good.", I came away from the trailer thinking "...yep. I'm good. I'm sold. I can't wait to see this now."

And while I don't think it's gonna be some AMAZING movie by any stretch of the imagination... for ME, it looks like it's gonna be a legitimate fun, silly time and I'm totally ready to be taken along for the ride.

If some people absolutely HATE the way this looks, I get it. If some people LOVE it, I also get it. I'm somewhere in the middle, but definitely leaning more towards the positive side.

And Gangsta's Paradise... was WEIRD in this trailer... but man, it still somehow fit REALLY well xDD Especially when the actual chorus started, I actually got a few chills~

So yeah, I'm hyped.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Does anyone else think that this looks kinda bad? Like if you agree.

Hide contents

How and why did this film get approved? Is fallen at literally every hurdle. Also kind of lol at the fact that it's got 20k dislikes to 25k likes on YouTube already

That's concerning....

17 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

They gave him socks!

Well I will agree that part is a improvement. I also personally think he looks better here in these posters then the 2D concept movie art we saw of him before. But maybe that is just me. However Sonic in these posters also look better then he does in the actual movie in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tara said:

If there's anything this movie reminds me of it's.. er...

Woody_Woodpecker_U.S._DVD_cover.jpg

I will give that movie one thing, at least Woody kept his cartoony look, unlike Sonic.

But yeah glad to see the Ken Penders Sonic film got made.

Hell Lebron's movie design was much better than this.

Jim Carrey is basically playing himself, not Eggman.

This is hot garbage, nothing about it looks good.

Also why does he have socks?

• Thumbs Up 5

I just saw the trailer, and I don't like it at all. Why can't things go right for Sonic, just once?

• Thumbs Up 1

We should be proud as Sonic fans, this film is gonna go down in history as one of the biggest horror movies of all time. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 3

Why do people assume the film will fail. I'm sure there are children out there dancing with joy for this. Sure some may not but first reactions online are grown men over 28 saying Sonics doomed. Who knows it could be a blast honestly.   if metal Sonics in it I'll be ecstatic

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

Just now, Meta77 said:

Why do people assume the film will fail.

Why should we assume it won't? It already clearly understands nothing of the character beyond "He's blue and moves kinda fast".

• Thumbs Up 9

5 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Why do people assume the film will fail. I'm sure there are children out there dancing with joy for this. Sure some may not but first reactions online are grown men over 28 saying Sonics doomed. Who knows it could be a blast honestly.   if metal Sonics in it I'll be ecstatic

Myself and my sister are in the ripe age of mid-teens. We are not amused.

I am confused and unable to make the connection between this movie and Sonic, and have been trying to wash out the taste for the past hour by listening to Sonic music, and my sister thinks this is about the worst Sonic thing she's ever seen, or otherwise worst thing she's seen in general

I'm not saying it'll fail. I'm just saying it's not catching anyone's praise anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 7

My goal post never moved many didnt care for a live sonic and still dont. Least the responses on fb sonic are pretty nice. Most dont like his face but think it was a good trailer. If you hate it more power to you. I'll probably see it twice myself.

10 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Well, first of all, I'm not even 20 yet. Kids might like it, but good things should be able to be enjoyed by all ages.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oddly, it's (partially) not as bad as I thought.  If they just keep the high energy Carrey stuff and ditch everything to do with that poorly composited Alvin/Smurfs crap then this would possibly be approaching less than  horribly unsettling...

Why is it that no one thought that going full cartoon wasn't the way to go?