Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I hate it. I really hate it.

I liked their decision to adapt Eggman's appearance, but I really hate how he's depicted in the film. As Blue Blood says, he's just acting like Carrey. He's not acting like the smart but comical villain we all love, but some over the top insane but effective bad guy. I mean, he looks better than anything else in the film, but those lines are making me cringe.

I hate whoever's playing Sonic, and I hate how he's portrayed. He's got the annoying traits of the Modern Sonic games but without what makes him interesting or well rounded.

The lines are also unspeakably dreadful and the acting looks atrocious.

I might get my friend who hates Sonic to pirate it and then get drunk as fuck watching it together and taking the piss out of it. That's about the only entertainment I can derive from this.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

I think we can confidently say Detective Pikachu, based on reception at this point alone, is flying over much better than Sonic could ever hope to.

DP certainly had better reception, but that doesn't translate to the film being good.

Tomb Raider had a better reception than Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, this is a mouthful to take in but I'll sum it up quickly:

The Model

A mixed bag in my opinion. Some shots, particularly this one, look absolutely terrible:

1199445162_fullanalysis1.thumb.jpg.d94edba1bd9acedc88d45a8d326407af.jpg

Other shots seen look actually quite good and a lot better than the rendering previously seen. The posters depict the new design in a pretty f**kin awesome manner.

The Acting

Ben Schwartz' VA for Sonic is IMO the best I've ever heard for the character. Easily the brightest spot of the trailer and I can't wait to hear more. 

Jim Carrey's Eggman is kind of strange. He is even more comedic and silly than Pollock's take on the character and I'm not exactly sure if I've warmed up to this Eggman just yet. It feels more like Carrey and not like Eggman. I'll wait for another trailer to take a proper look.

Special Effects

The special effects are also another bright spot. There's heaps of flashy special effects in here, probably as a distraction from the shallowness of the film otherwise.

Concluding

This film looks like your average bland comedy buddy film that will be littered with crappy slapstick humor. Whether or not that is bad is up to your interpretation. At its core it is essentially a shameless Detective Pikachu ripoff with Sonic slapped onto it. Matter of fact, I consider this to be probably on an equal level to Detective Pikachu. I can't see very much particularly bad about the film apart from the questionable design direction which has thrown many many people off. I guess most of this looks better than what I thought it would be.

This is not a Pluto Nash kind of bad that its funny - it is a Zack Snyder DC tier bad as it is a boring kind of bad. 

It's a good movie to watch when you are stupidly drunk and have lost your understanding of reality. Ehhh can't wait to get some weird looking Sonic figures in my collection and that's all I've ever cared for this movie.

Just now, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

DP certainly had better reception, but that doesn't translate to the film being good.

TR had a better reception than Sonic.

Generally speaking, bad movies don't get good scores. There's a reason the highest rated films of all time on something like say, IMDb are movies that re usually considered good. Bad movies also don't get the kind of good press that Detective Pikachu has been getting.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Generally speaking, bad movies don't get good scores. There's a reason the highest rated films of all time on something like say, IMDb are movies that re usually considered good. Bad movies also don't get the kind of good press that Detective Pikachu has been getting.

Again though...where's Detective Pikachu's 'good' score?

And I can give you examples of bad films with good trailers. The Last Airbender. The Incredible Hulk (subjective).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

Until we see Detective Pikachu, you cannot say that.

Early screenings sound pretty positive and the reception to the trailers likely means that people will overlook a potentially generic story. I feel it's a safe assumption, but we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

The thing is, the brand is already seen as damaged goods, unlike the others. Sure Tomb Raider had a die-off in the late 2000s and Assassin’s Creed has Unity, but nothing on the level of having 06 AND Rise of Lyric.

My point is that a bad film will likely put off people from seeing another one. Bad video games are what Sonic has to worry about.

• Thumbs Up 1

It unbelievable how much Sonic's character model takes away from this. Substitute Sega's model, or even a fuzzy modern Sonic irreverent, and that trailer is harmless at worst. Might even be enjoyable. Without that, his design is an albatross that weights down the whole thing. When he's standing around talking - it just looks so bad. I don't know what they were going for with those lips... egh.

On top of that, they jumped the shark with his casual speed. You can't have Sonic putting a barrage of missiles in a standstill and hand-placing explosions and then outrunning the fallout. If you make Sonic that impossibly fast, your going to create loopholes that require creative and understanding writers to avoid. If Sonic can move half that speed, he should never be tagged by a tranq gun head on. The entire movie is going to have to be taken with a side of salt because almost any situation can be solved instantly by a hero capable of moving that fast.

Also, that missle scene should have created a heck of a Sonic Boom. Just saying.

• Thumbs Up 5

sonic looks bad, like, REALLY bad, but the movie itself looks... fine? outside of the sonic design somehow managing to look even worse here, this trailer didn't really offend me at all. that little bit at the end where sonic's in the bag was honestly kind of funny, and eggman's design at the very end looked cool.

So I've been watching the metrics for the video....

Around half an hour ago at around 47k likes/dislikes, the trailer was at 44% dislike.

The trailer is now at 74k likes/dislikes... and the percentage of people who dislike it has actually gone up to 48%

So yeah....

I just refreshed... it's now gone up to 49%.

13 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Dislike to like ratio for the trailer on YT is now 33k to 35k. It's getting neck and neck. 

Just based on that alone we could be seeing a movie that polarizes people. And I mean different people having different tastes sort of thing. 

Well on a plus side I like this pic of Carry's initial outfit, sure its all black but thanks to Carry its very bombastic

sonic-the-hedgehog-trailer.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

If this does get mauled by reviwers would they dare to attempt the we made it for fans defence.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jim Sterling gives his opinion on the trailer:

Spoiler

Surprise surprise, he doesn't like it.

• Thumbs Up 3

28 minutes ago, pppp said:

Well then you are a sheep and part of the problem, since it's people like you that made the Chipmunks and Smurfs movies suceesful.

ttKvQm4.jpg

• Nice Smile 1
  • Absolutely 1

1 minute ago, Rabid-Coot said:

If this does get mauled by reviwers would they dare to attempt the we made it for fans defence.

It's become very commonplace for fervent defenders of any given Sonic thing to guilt trip detractors and call them ungrateful  and how it's all the fanbases fault.

It wouldn't shock me if the production crew was the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if anything I am now looking forward to is how Carrys outfit will evolve in the film, from that black outfit into his more game incarnation

Alright so after months of waiting I finally saw the trailer and I have so many reactions...

How did the CGI in this movie get WORSE? How is it that the design looks alright in terms of posters but mortifying in motion?

The parts of the movie I find ok is Sonics voice and Carey's role as Eggman but Sonics design is not good. Gangstas Paradise as the trailer music is really unfitting.

Also wow. That Reddit leak turned out to be true. So that means that last bit at the end of the trailer is most likely the post credits scene.

In a shellnut:

WSe7-6KualGjmRXbGhz-ZGZ-1tHoG5zMJF9guUZN

EDIT:

Translation: How?

For those who don't geddit Nakamura used to write the stories for the Sonic games, like the Storybook series.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's weird that they didn't namedrop "Eggman" or "Robotnik" when they introduced Carrey; he just kind of shows up... kind of a lame reveal actually.

It could've gone something like:

"You're not suggesting who I think your suggesting..."

"Yes... Dr. Eggman. (or Robotnik) He is the world's leading expert in technology. He has the resources to help us figure out what exactly we're dealing with."

*cue Eggman reveal shot*

• Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

ttKvQm4.jpg

A moderator has already handled this post.  Please do not pile on.

12 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Jim Sterling gives his opinion on the trailer:

Reveal hidden contents

Surprise surprise, he doesn't like it.

"It looks... like it will please a marketing team."

That's an eloquent way of putting it, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Absolutely 1

56 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Ffs omg it's just the first level trailer. At least wait until you've played the game watched the film yourself before you judge.

I don't like Carrey as Eggman. He's not acting like Eggman at all; he's literally just playing the same wacky antagonist role that he always does. He'll still probably be the highlight of the film, but it's not what he should be. Sonic is relatively on the mark though, I guess kinda?

Underrated comment hahaha

Yes! It's exactly how I pictured people acting after the reveal! Just like they do with the games. Geez.

Agree with Carrey's performance so far. Althought I must add he sounds annoying too. As for Sonic... I don't know, I figured the VA wouldn't try to mimic Roger's (or any other former Sonic VA) voice, but still sounds kinda... Eh?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Austroid said:

It's weird that they didn't namedrop "Eggman" or "Robotnik" when they introduced Carrey; he just kind of shows up... kind of a lame reveal actually.

It could've gone something like:

"You're not suggesting who I think your suggesting..."

"Yes... Dr. Eggman. (or Robotnik) He is the world's leading expert in technology. He has the resources to help us figure out what exactly we're dealing with."

*cue Eggman reveal shot*

Well its possible he has a entirely different name when we first meet him, instead of Eggman or Robotnik.

They could go do the Kintobor route like sonic the comic

latest?cb=20090417200204

• Thumbs Up 1