Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I'd like to ask you the same question -- what is the appeal of Sonic, exactly? And you'd be hard pressed to come up with an answer because the franchise formula has changed so many times, there are so many different interpretations and visions of this character, that a single definitive version of Sonic is impossible to lock down. 

Well, I know one thing.

It sure as shit isn't this. 

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I was there on message boards hyping up '06 in 2005, I was around, defending Sonic Boom from criticism when the designs were revealed silhouette.

So your batting average isn't terribly impressive.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

I'm shocked. Shocked!

Well, not that shocked.

It looks as completely terrible as it was always going to be. Sonic is hideous, every aspect of the execution is sloppy, and nothing about it has anything to do with the Sonic the hedgehog video game series.

That's pretty much all there is to say on the matter.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

You'd be better served saying this to somebody who has NOT been a fan of this franchise for 20 years; played every single game minus the obscure arcade titles, is an avid reader of the comics (Pre-IDW) and has been around at all the highs and lows that this franchise has gone through. I was there on message boards hyping up '06 in 2005, I was around, defending Sonic Boom from criticism when the designs were revealed silhouette. Just because I  optimistic about this movie does not mean I have failed to grasp what defines Sonic as a character and the franchise overall. I'd like to ask you the same question -- what is the appeal of Sonic, exactly? And you'd be hard pressed to come up with an answer because the franchise formula has changed so many times, there are so many different interpretations and visions of this character, that a single definitive version of Sonic is impossible to lock down. 

Sorry but you sound like a yes-man, you defend all the bad stuff that happened to Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

Well I know one thing.

It sure as shit isn't this. 

Agreed, I am no game purist but there are things that bother me about the execution of this live action design.

Even Sonics Boom incarnation handled this better, heck even Sonic in the 90's cartoons handled this better

Here be Canadian Guy Eh's reaction to the Sonic Movie trailer. I'll hopefully have my video hopefully up later today with my thoughts on this.

31 minutes ago, Wordy said:

It is, of course, far too late for any of these poor decisions to be changed, but one thing that is completely baffling is the choice of song for the trailer. What does Gangster's Paradise that have to do with anything? It certainly doesn't fit thematically and doesn't even fit the tone or action sequences. I am honestly at a loss to understand how this was given the green light. A better choice of song could have seriously reduced how bizarre this trailer comes across.

If they were going for a retro-90s vibe, it might've worked. Gangsta's Paradise (1995) came out in the midst of Sonic's classic era. Come to think of it, so did Ace Ventura (1994).

But still. I wasn't listening to Coolio when running through Sonic 3&K. It would've been more like Green Day or Smashing Pumpkins.

Yeah, I think Tonight, Tonight (1995) is what makes me feel like playing my SEGA Genesis again.

The trailer confirmed my worst fear, which is that the movie wouldn't be a spectacularly ridiculous Earth shattering catastrophe of a failure of a movie. I had given up of course that the movie would be genuinely good on any level since they announced it was live action, but you know I still kinda held on to that internet hipster bullshit hope that it would be a train wreck that was hilarious ironically. It doesn't look like it's enjoyable from any perspective really. It looks like an action movie that happens to have the Sonic license with the filmmakers, clearly people who with little to no investment in Sonic, shooting for okay and falling just short of the mark. It's not really worth any ridiculous reactions or over the top rage or anything, and honestly the fact that it leaves me so empty of anything just kinda makes it sadder. 

• Thumbs Up 4

29 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well me personally I dont mind design changes to characters for the big screen but make it make sense.

Sometimes game accuracy can go against you, especially looking at the 1994 street fighter film and its outfits.

I mean look at blanka for fucksake

latest?cb=20130627000811

I mean Jeez Louise!

I actually take CGI Sonic over this.

Your best counter to the argument that Sonic didn’t need to change that much is a extremely cheesy film from the 90’s?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Your best counter to the argument that Sonic didn’t need to change that much is a extremely cheesy film from the 90’s that?

No as in i can understand why a design needs to be altered from one media to another.

Not saying I approve but I have seen game accuracy go badly wrong.

16 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

So your batting average isn't terribly impressive.

I like to see the positive in things. Also, at the time when Sonic 06 was revealed at E3, nobody knew the game would turn out to be such a huge disaster. Sonic for Next Gen was a huge selling point. 

As for Boom, I looked at it as a fresh start for the ffranchise and I welcomed the new designs because I could understand the logic behind why certain choices were made (I know people don't like to hear this)

I'm not conceding to defeat with this movie yet but I don't think they should have made some of the choices they did. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, PeterPancake said:

I like to see the positive in things. Also, at the time when Sonic 06 was revealed at E3, nobody knew the game would turn out to be such a huge disaster. Sonic for Next Gen was a huge selling point. 

As for Boom, I looked at it as a fresh start for the ffranchise and I welcomed the new designs because I could understand the logic behind why certain choices were made (I know people don't like to hear this)

I'm not conceding to defeat with this movie yet but I don't think they should have made some of the choices they did. 

https://twitter.com/EdwardPun1/status/1123261756048953344?s=09

Don't apologize for Sonic Boom. Sonic Boom is the best piece of Sonic media outside of the games, bar none, full stop.

I suspect most folks here would take a third season of Boom over this upcoming film.

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Also, at the time when Sonic 06 was revealed at E3, nobody knew the game would turn out to be such a huge disaster.

Things are different now. We've seen a lot of shit in the what, 13 years since '06?

It doesn't take a detective to see from a mile away that something just isn't right.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think the worst part is that the whole ''gangers paradise'' was in FACT used for the trailer

which I really really hoped would have been a false leak or a joke. 

LIKE dont get me wrong the song's very good but..some things should not be mixed together. Like I wasnt expeting a crush 40 song because God forbid it be loyal to any of the games elements but geez. A  fitting pop song would have been better.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I think the worst part is that the whole ''gangers paradise'' was in FACT used for the trailer

which I really really hoped would have been a false leak or a joke. 

LIKE dont get me wrong the song's very good but..some things should not be mixed together. Like I wasnt expeting a crush 40 song because God forbid it be loyal to any of the games elements but geez. A  fitting pop song would have been better.

I think some execs just wanted something 'very 90s' to accompany 90s franchise. I don't think much more thought went into it than that.

The music choice was atrocious. Just baffling really. But maybe that was the point...? Get people talking. No publicity is bad publicity and all that.

1 minute ago, Dr Ryan said:

I think some execs just wanted something 'very 90s' to accompany 90s franchise. I don't think much more thought went into it than that.

The music choice was atrocious. Just baffling really. But maybe that was the point...? Get people talking. No publicity is bad publicity and all that.

For the love of God, no. You do not try to sell a movie on bad publicity, especially when your movie is meant to springboard a franchise. If your best accurate attempt at selling this film is making people talk about how baffling/stupid it is, then you are not doing a good job. You might get a few people watching it out of severe curiosity while everyone else is mocking it.

Like seriously, if you can't make a genuine half-hearted attempt to make your product seem of quality, and instead having to immediately shoot into placing it into shittalking status for a few desperate views, it wouldn't be a good look for your film. It would just show you gave little to no care when making it, which I doubt any film studio would do. So in other words - I refuse to believe they purposefully chose an godawful song to place with godawful visuals in a desperate attempt to get bad publicity - I think it's very clear they were legitimately thinking it was a good choice.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

Get people talking. No publicity is bad publicity and all that.

Ghostbusters 2016 says hello.

Intentionally making your movie look and sound as bad as possible is a rather confusing marketing strategy, as opposed to just making it look and sound...well, good.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

Man, the posters look actually decent and fun. But that's because you can't notice the teeth. And those legs moving. And the lips. And that scene with Sonic flying totally stiff out of the car... 

4 out of 10, you'd better stare at the poster for 90 minutes instead. 

Little sister just text me and shes excited to see it. Gangsta paradise was used cause it's a 90s song. No trailer uses music from the series always  aka DP using older songs I think they are trying to push sonic as a rebel/ gangsta do what I want attitude for him. Eh I donno

For those of you looking for a bright side (I personally think it could've been better but also a whole lot worse), here's one:  At least this isn't going to be a Sonic Underground live action movie.

1 minute ago, tailsBOOM! said:

For those of you looking for a bright side (I personally think it could've been better but also a whole lot worse), here's one:  At least this isn't going to be a Sonic Underground live action movie.

If Chris shows up then I'll worry lol

• Promotion 1

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Little sister just text me and shes excited to see it. Gangsta paradise was used cause it's a 90s song. No trailer uses music from the series always  aka DP using older songs I think they are trying to push sonic as a rebel/ gangsta do what I want attitude for him. Eh I donno

Still fuck using gangsters paradise...

This is the song to use for a bloody sonic movie: