Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

10 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

The typical "They tried their best" defense.

I wonder if I could call up my old teachers who gave me homework/tests/projects I failed and get my permanent record fixed up if I tell them I did my best.

I suppose those people who developed Fallout 76 and any other big AAA game that under performs critically and/or commercially fall under the same umbrella. They probably put their heart and soul doing their job, but in the end they are probably not the ones responsible for how terrible it is. The blame lies nearer the top of the ladder. The ones who told them what to do and how to do it. A creative piece with hundreds if not thousands of people working on it should not be given slack for the sake of all those backroom boys and girls who worked tirelessly if its bad. They may have had no choice in the direction. I feel very sorry for them, but any amount of justified criticism shouldn't be censored.

• Thumbs Up 4

I just cannot believe how different the Detective Pikachu and Sonic teaser trailers are from eachother, at complete opposite ends of the spectrum. 

Even if you do not care for the live action Pokémon designs in the movie, you cannot deny that they look FAR superior to whatever the hell they have done with Sonic. Besides additional detail and textures to make them fit into the real world, they stay true to the originals. Their silhouettes are exactly like the game versions and even the way they act is the same. Just look at this trailer! 

Again, say what you will about the actual designs but the people behind Detective Pikachu put a lot of care and attention to detail into these Pokémon designs. And that’s pretty great!

Sonic the hedgehog on the other hand does not stick to his recognisable silhouette shape and comes off looking really creepy and...naked, due to his lanky body and skinny legs. Don’t even get me started on the face! The eyes, the mouth and the teeth. It looks SO wrong! He isn’t cute (IMO), nor charming, nor very relatable. It’s so ugly. Sure he’s got his super speed, but even that might not be like the games according to the Reddit plot details. If the Sonic movie can’t make their own bloody main character appealing, then you fail!  

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Jango said:

Notice how SEGA logo is completely alone in the opening credits, unlike Sonic Mania which had the "proudly presents" in literally every trailer, animation, annoucement. Even the official Sonic Facebook page simply shared the trailer, no word, no comment, not even a: "Here's the trailer for the upcoming Sonic movie!". Nothing, just the link. 

That's not a coincidence. Ah, to be a fly in SEGA's office today... How come they give the thumbs up to that after what Big Red Button did to Sonic not long ago...? It's their flagship IP. What about all those talks regarding quality control? SEGA should be waaaay above this at this point. How come they think this is good, even as its own thing? It uses their property, their characters... Sigh.

Even SEGA turn the other cheek.

(this makes them better than Disney at this, as they did this to Dumbo by themselves)

I will too. 

I have extremely strong opinions on this. When busy season at work is over, expect wrath and fury from me.

Hint: Holy DICK do I hate what I saw

• Thumbs Up 9

Honestly, the one thing that I can't seem to get used to are the legs. They look hella awkward. How could anybody considered these acceptable? WTF?

D5cKnU6UEAA-a4O.jpg

49 minutes ago, Jango said:

Notice how SEGA logo is completely alone in the opening credits, unlike Sonic Mania which had the "proudly presents" in literally every trailer, animation, annoucement. Even the official Sonic Facebook page simply shared the trailer, no word, no comment, not even a: "Here's the trailer for the upcoming Sonic movie!". Nothing, just the link. 

That's not a coincidence. Ah, to be a fly in SEGA's office today... How come they give the thumbs up to that after what Big Red Button did to Sonic not long ago...? It's their flagship IP. What about all those talks regarding quality control? SEGA should be waaaay above this at this point. How come they think this is good, even as its own thing? It uses their property, their characters... Sigh.

Meanwhile when Detective Pikachu first debuted, you saw the logos of ALL the companies that were involved(in some way shape or form) with that movie.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Didn’t Sega even express disapproval over the film at one point, or was that just over Sonic’s design?

Sonic is beyond hideous, that's not Eggman, didn't laugh once, plot looks awful. Obligatory opinion done. 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Didn’t Sega even express disapproval over the film at one point, or was that just over Sonic’s design?

The studio said that SEGA expressed a disapproval over the eyes. That's all we know to this day.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

The studio said that SEGA expressed a disapproval over the eyes. That's all we know to this day.

Would like to know what they thought of his mouth..

Looking at the likes/dislikes for the official trailer again: 136k likes and 204k dislikes.

Pretty sad when the Wreck It Ralph movies portray Sonic better than this and he's just cameos. Sadder that the Dora the Explorer movie is more faithful to its source material than this.

Even Detective Pikachu is better than this. Sorry guys, this is so embarrassing. I can’t believe that they pissed off everybody. This is like a big middle finger.

3 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Action looks cool. Dr. Eggman is going to be really fun and like his different looks. Sonic is a mixed bag for me. I like his  "badass face" but not his "screaming face".

The two are so different I can't help wonder if they're from different stages of production.  With the game designs Sonic's mouth often changes size and shape, but so many other looks at this Sonic's mouth have it stretched across his whole jawline even when it's not talking, that the alternative where it's invisible and replaced with a human mouth seems to be wholly antithetical.

I do 3D graphics, getting characters to look good when moving isn't easy, so it's possible the human mouth is a placeholder they aim to change.  

But even if so, then as Mike said, they were stupid to let this through to the trailer.  I don't expect much of CGI-character-in-live-action-world movies, but those faces are beneath even their usual bar.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Looking at the likes/dislikes for the official trailer again: 136k likes and 204k dislikes.

Pretty sad when the Wreck It Ralph movies portray Sonic better than this and he's just cameos. Sadder that the Dora the Explorer movie is more faithful to its source material than this.

:( This is Ghostbusters 2016 all over again

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

What makes you say that?

It could be better.

The overwhelming amount of dislikes on the trailer 

Woot, as if dislikes has ever been a factor into anything.

It's whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Even Detective Pikachu is better than this. Sorry guys, this is so embarrassing. I can’t believe that they pissed off everybody. This is like a big middle finger.

Wrong. See that is the thing about the sonic fandom that still to this day baffles me. Everyone assumes their opinions speak for everyone. A lot of people dislike this movie. We know that. Many from the start were set to hate it. Some like it, mostly on the FB page, many look forward to going to see it. And some just want to live in a paradise. That said its like both sides act as if their views are held by all. Im looking forward to it. But at the same time I am not going to say this movie is going to be great and everyone is going to like it.  Just like I would not say this movie is bad and i think everyone will hate it. If anything it could end up becoming a cult classic. ............................at best

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

This is so much better.:

I hate it. It's a bad middle ground where his body is still real and gross but he has an overly-cartoony head. The design is now discordant. A Sonic divided against itself cannot stand!

• Thumbs Up 1