Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

8 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The reason his hands are white is because they want to simulate his gloves without giving him gloves. However, they let him keep his shoes. Yet they also take away his socks and don't add white paint to simulate socks in their place.

Look closer.  They gave Sonic his socks back!

I suspect this is the one concession Iizuka and Webber were able to wring from the filmmakers when they went to preview it a few months ago.

54 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Now this is coming from someone who rarely watches big blockbuster films, especially the superhero ones that this is trying to imitate, because they all look like the same generic tosh to me. And Sonic is absolutely no different here. It's the same jokes, the same character and story tropes, the same plot

Looking at the trailers for films like Endgame/Infinity War, Black Panther, Hell even Shazam, I’d say they really aren’t that comparable to Sonic’s bad attempt at a action/comedy film. Even if you don’t enjoy the superhero genre, it shouldn’t be hard to see how one is almost objectively better from a writing, visual, and yes, effort, standpoint, just by looking at the trailers alone 

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Looking at the trailers for films like Endgame/Infinity War, Black Panther, Hell even Shazam, I’d say they really aren’t that comparable to Sonic’s bad attempt at a action/comedy film. Even if you don’t enjoy the superhero genre, it shouldn’t be hard to see how one is almost objectively better from a writing, visual, and yes, effort, standpoint, just by looking at the trailers alone 

Also, they don’t star horrifying chimeras.

We highly suspected from the start it's gonna be bad. The moment I saw "Sonic and human look at each other and start screaming" I knew it's gonna be garbage.

I hate that this movie is what it is. Life action, no Sonic friends, soulless. But worst of all I hate that they delayed it so long it's gonna come out the same year as Detective Pikachu.

Video game movies are bad. That's how things worked. Movie would slide under the radar, maybe even be liked in ironic way. But just like with Forces/MarioOddysey&BoTW they god damn delayed the project so it sits next to superior product, making me want to cry.

• Thumbs Up 3

35 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I mean, I don't go out of my way to watch those films or their trailers and I've no intention of doing so. They all look like the same old thing to me when I do see them, and Sonic here fits in with them all too well. I'm speaking from the perspective of a non movie-goer. It doesn't matter if one is almost objectively worse than the others; the point is that they're all doing very similar things. You can see very easily the angle that film is going for, and that it's trying to find an audience that doesn't discern between good and bad films in the action, comedy and superhero genre.

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I mean, I don't watch those films or their trailers and I've no intention of doing so. They all look like the same crap to me, and Sonic here fits in with them all too well. I'm speaking from the perspective of a non movie-goer. It doesn't matter if one is almost objectively worse than the others; the point is that they're all doing very similar things. You can see very easily the angle that film is going for, and that it's trying to find an audience who font discern between good and bad films in the action, comedy and superhero genre.

It's more like they are trying to appeal to the "Live action with  cartoon animals" crowd like Paddington or Peter Rabbit or the Chipmunks, watch these and see how better they are than Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

OMG I don't know what to say about this...

It's so random... Sonic's design looks horrible as always, but I like Eggman/Robotnik's mecha design, such as that car thing with another car thing inside... I'm glad they didn't use the Transformers (movies) style of mecha because I hate that.

It probably won't be an excellent movie but I think it can be at least fun if you completely forget that it was supposed to be Sonic while you watch it.

I expected a Dragonball Evolution tier of trash, but from the trailer it seems this will be at least a bit better. At least now Mario and Sonic both have a weird live action movie so they can compete again 🤣.

Though, the movie would have been a bit better if Sonic's design wasn't that awful (and that joke about the child in the bag is not funny, it's disturbing actually. I mean, they think he kidnapped a kid and put it into a bag, and we should laugh about that?).

After coming back to the trailer today I still like Jim as Eggman but Sonic looks like a little kid in an all-over onesie. It just looks really really odd. His body is completely wrong and those teeth...……….. those bloody teeth.  I try to never be too negative with Sonic stuff and try and take the best of whatever we get but even I can't wrap my head around the body design of him. There's one or two shots that actually look quite cool , especially at the start of trailer but...……………. I'm stumped.

I hope Aaron Webber has some TSR related stuff for tomorrows live-stream because that live chat is gonna be nothing but about this trailer. I KNOW its not down to him but he's the main go between for the fans and Sonic team and Sega had to have had some say or input on this somewhere. Didn't Webber and Izuka go and meet the producers of the movie a little while back?  Its gonna be an interesting show.

1 minute ago, Iko said:

OMG I don't know what to say about this...

It's so random... Sonic's design looks horrible as always, but I like Eggman/Robotnik's mecha design, such as that car thing with another car thing inside... I'm glad they didn't use the Transformers (movies) style of mecha because I hate that.

It probably won't be an excellent movie but I think it can be at least fun if you completely forget that it was supposed to be Sonic while you watch it.

I expected a Dragonball Evolution tier of trash, but from the trailer it seems this will be at least a bit better. At least now Mario and Sonic both have a weird live action movie so they can compete again 🤣.

Though, the movie would have been a bit better if Sonic's design wasn't that awful (and that joke about the child in the bag is not funny, it's disturbing actually. I mean, they think he kidnapped a kid and put it into a bag, and we should laugh about that?).

Read the IDW Sonic annual that came out today to see what really makes Sonic appealing. His friends and world.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I mean, I don't go out of my way to watch those films or their trailers and I've no intention of doing so. They all look like the same old thing to me when I do see them, and Sonic here fits in with them all too well. I'm speaking from the perspective of a non movie-goer. It doesn't matter if one is almost objectively worse than the others; the point is that they're all doing very similar things. You can see very easily the angle that film is going for, and that it's trying to find an audience that doesn't discern between good and bad films in the action, comedy and superhero genre.

okay well looking at these two trailers, what specific cues do they share with the Sonic film? I really don’t get what looks or feels the same between them. The only things I could MAYBE compare is the fact that they all have action moments at some points. But that’s like the most basic of comparisons to make 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

okay well looking at these two trailers, what specific cues do they share with the Sonic film? I really don’t get what looks or feels the same between them

They are so good! They have heart, the complete OPPOSITE of the Sonic trailer. They embrace all the weirdness of the source material.

That guy has no clue what he's talking about!

5 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

That guy has no clue what he's talking about!

Why would you say this?

Now it's equal.

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Why would you say this?

Now it's equal.

I did not mean the guy I quoted

1 day later, I still  have not really processed that trailer. I wonder if SEGA cares anymore.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

I did not mean the guy I quoted

You meant me for calling the Sonic movie an attempt to make a generic superhero  action comedy, right?

I'm not saying that other superhero films are bad. I'm seeing that to me, it looks like they're trying to copy that style with some extra kid-friendly and comedy aspects and have ended up with a homogeneous mess. The Sonic trailer looks bad. I happen to also not be a fan of superhero movies, but am not calling them generic or bad.

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

You meant me for calling the Sonic movie an attempt to make a generic superhero  action comedy, right?

I'm not saying that other superhero films are bad. I'm seeing that to me, it looks like they're trying to copy that style with some extra kid-friendly and comedy aspects and have ended up with a homogeneous mess. The Sonic trailer looks bad. I happen to also not be a fan of superhero movies, but am not calling them generic or bad.

Oh ok, my bad.

Calling it now, this movie will get below 10 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and make 100 million domestically and 300 million worldwide.

4 minutes ago, sucram_h said:

Calling it now, this movie will get below 10 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and make 100 million domestically and 300 million worldwide.

Its a shame when movies with actual passion and effort like Missing Link by Laika get only 15 million revenue

missing-link-pic-1555098390.jpg?crop=0.9

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Its a shame when movies with actual passion and effort like Missing Link by Laika get only 15 million revenue

missing-link-pic-1555098390.jpg?crop=0.9

Speaking of movies with ugly character design.

6 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Speaking of movies with ugly character design.

Still more tolerable than Sonic's movie design.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a defender of this movie, but I'm still proud of the fanbase and the rest of the world in standing together to let Paramount know that Sonic's hidious design is not acceptable. At all. I hope it's all kicking off behind the scenes with whoever pushed for that look and whoever approved it.

I think, whether you like the movie or not, we can all agree Sonic himself looks fucking AWFUL and is the very worst thing about this. Which is unfortunate really, because he's the many character and the movie is called Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

14 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Still more tolerable than Sonic's movie design.

Thats a low bar to clear.

• Chuckle 3