Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

The design to one side for a moment I've not  heard many talk about why he's possibly there. At the start of the trailer he jumps down onto a massive pile of worn out trainers/shoes which suggests to me that he's been there for some time and possibly stranded which could go to explain why he's wearing a pair of Pumas. You can get a good look at the pile of footware at the 21 second mark.

The other thing I noticed was those giant mushrooms in the background in the last clip of the trailer with Eggman. Could we possibly see Sonic on his home world looking a bit more recognisable hopefully with his proper shoes and gloves etc.... akin to Carrey's Eggman who ends up looking like what we know and love later in the film?

Image result for jim carrey eggman

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

The design to one side for a moment I've not  heard many talk about why he's possibly there.

Personally, the movie is so horrible I'm not gonna play along with its stupid plot and waste my time thinking about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Also, is he a fan of the movies or was he generally a Marvel fan?

I don't know, I'll have to ask him.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Able to run fast enough to completely slow down time and make it basically stop so he can mess around with bullets, missiles, and what have you - seemingly unable to pull off the same trick to dodge a police officer and dodge a tranquilliser dart. 

Isn’t this basically like if Quicksilver in Days of Future Past pulled off the amazing Time in a Bottle scene only to be unable to avoid a punch from Magneto?

• Thumbs Up 8

31 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Sonic the Hedgehog: Able to run fast enough to completely slow down time and make it basically stop so he can mess around with bullets, missiles, and what have you - seemingly unable to pull off the same trick to dodge a police officer and dodge a tranquilliser dart. 

Isn’t this basically like if Quicksilver in Days of Future Past pulled off the amazing Time in a Bottle scene only to be unable to avoid a punch from Magneto?

Pretty much. But I'm sure we'll have a few defenders going "Oh, you don't know the plot, there's probably gonna be a very good explanation why he's so super fast in that 1 scene particularly!" (Even tho I doubt there'll be an explanation.)

5 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Pretty much. But I'm sure we'll have a few defenders going "Oh, you don't know the plot, there's probably gonna be a very good explanation why he's so super fast in that 1 scene particularly!" (Even tho I doubt there'll be an explanation.)

What's funny to me is Detective Pikachu makes total fun out of the exact same trope that the Sonic movie tries to pull here, and still uses it to the plot's advantage, as well as make a joke out of it. The character in that tries to use a stapler as a weapon only for Pikachu to threaten to electrocute him if he didn't back off. Because obviously Pikachu could overpower it easily.

Sonic on the other hand loses his speed to bullshit a reason why Tom becomes pals with him. 

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Sonic on the other hand loses his speed to bullshit a reason why Tom becomes pals with him. 

I read a comment (maybe not here but on Youtube) that the reason is "Oh, he didn't expect it!"...So, guy he doesn't know and thus can't trust marches in with gun in hand that he points at Sonic, but Sonic doesn't expect to get shot...RIIIIIIIIIIGHT...Plus, doesn't being super fast enables him to react way faster than normal humans anyway? Even if he doesn't expect it?

46 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

They watced too much Jojo to the point they thought Sonic could use The World.

jojos-bizarre-adventure-jotaro-all-the-k

256a826591?resize=width_1200&type=png&c=

Giving Sonic super speed at THAT level PLUS the ability to instantly teleport with the ring is already making him overpowered. So I hope he can only pull hat off in special occaisons or this movie will become a cinemasins nitpick parade.

But, well, I get the impression this is mostly written as a comedy, so I suppose we'll have to turn our brains off and assume each joke just exists in it's own little vacuum universe.
"Things happen because screenwriter thought it was funny at that point". Pretty much like most of Sonic's modern output.
Well, and my own cartoons as well to be fair.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

But, well, I get the impression this is mostly written as a comedy, so I suppose we'll have to turn our brains off and assume each joke just exists in it's own little vacuum universe.

When we have to "turn our brains off", in other words, put in effort on our side so their entertainment has a chance to work, to me kind of means that entertainment is pretty crap if I'm perfectly honest.

• Thumbs Up 2

Agreed.
Like I said, it'll be a nitpick feast for Youtube reviewers.

17 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Anyone complaining about this turned their brains off a long time ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, here is one thing that I noticed on the trailer, the scene where Tom discover Sonic, he yelled SFPD. Shouldn’t he supposed to say (GHPD) (Green Hills Police Department), since he discover him before going on a trip to SF with him?

• Thumbs Up 1

I just realised something pretty ironic. Remember another iconic bald-headed villain who was done absolutely shit in a recent film that had gone on to be disliked due to how awful it bastardises the source material. Remember how he - similar to Eggman here - starts off looking nothing like how he's meant to, and gradually changes to how he should be over the course of the movie, but by the time it happens, it's too little, too late, and the character already has soured their chances because of how different they were throughout the entirety of the movie?

*ahem*

latest?cb=20160325071427

Lex Luthor says hi, Eggy.

• Thumbs Up 5

8 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I joked about it some time before it leaked in this thread and sadly it was that predictable.

A much better version of the poster. BTW, I like the original poster of this, but this is so much better, I like it.:

sonic_the_hedgehog_the_movie__re_draw__b

Source

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

A much better version of the poster. BTW, I like the original poster of this, but this is so much better, I like it.:

Source

Fuck yes!

7 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Source

Wow, using the actual character design makes things a lot more appealing! WHO KNEW?!

14 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Another one.:

sonic_movie_by_frutillytha_dd5v87f-fullv

Source

All these edits have me thinkin', could you imagine if some absolute mad lads actually got together and made a version of the whole film that edits Movie Sonic to look like Modern Sonic a la the Star Wars Despecialized Editions?

Of course that still wouldn't fix the C-tier writing and story, but hey! It'd still be somewhat of an improvement.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Giving Sonic super speed at THAT level PLUS the ability to instantly teleport with the ring is already making him overpowered. So I hope he can only pull hat off in special occaisons or this movie will become a cinemasins nitpick parade.

We've barely got though trailer 1 and Movie Sonic is already trending closer to Archie Sonic than Sega Sonic in terms of being OP.

I honestly don't trust the writers to create any kind of reasonable middle ground with his speed. Established comic book writers often refer to speedsters as the single hardest characters to account for - and they often muk it up knowing that in advance. 

Why even open that can of worms? Forget not being able to dodge a tranq dart, with that kind of speed Sonic would have had ample time to avoid detection in the second it takes Marston to open the door. Now I have to go through the whole movie wondering why Sonic just doesn't solve all his problems in the blink of an eye. All conflict becomes mute.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's implied in interviews and in the Reddit leak that Sonic is still learning to control his speed. Him getting shot (I refuse to acknowledge it's a tranquilizer, if I dream hard enough maybe Sonic will finally be dead) is at the first act of the film when he meets Tom, so you wouldn't expect him to Quicksilver his way out of that.

Stop making me defend this movie. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It's implied in interviews and in the Reddit leak that Sonic is still learning to control his speed. Him getting shot (I refuse to acknowledge it's a tranquilizer, if I dream hard enough maybe Sonic will finally be dead) is at the first act of the film when he meets Tom, so you wouldn't expect him to Quicksilver his way out of that.

Stop making me defend this movie. 

Is his speed new? Please tell me his speed isn't going to be the result of his travel to Earth...

Can't wait for the movie to suggest Sonic isn't actually fast — he's just slowing time down.

The movie is an origin story for Sonic and Robotnik, so that would be their reasoning to make going fast something that Sonic needs to "learn" to do. You get a glimpse of this in the first portion of the trailer where he's attempting to break the sound barrier along that long stretch of road.