Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

They're incredible failings if your bar was for sonic to fit your (and probably mine) specific vision of him. This just doesnt influence that. All we need to really be doing here is hoping the movie isnt a trainwreck, that's it.

But it already is a trainwreck if you consider the utter backlash the trailer is getting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright. I'm home now and I've had a few hours to process what I saw. It didn't do much good because I generally think and feel the same as I did when I initially watched the trailer.

Which is the same I felt when I was following the news of this thread. Which is the same I felt when I first heard the Sonic movie was going to be live-action. All this did, was pretty much confirm what I and a lot of other people already knew so there's not too much to be surprised about.

I'm not even going to bother entertaining  anyone who comes at me with the whole "Wait until the movie is out" song and dance. That's just the annoying cousin of the "wait until the trailer is out" defense and it often leads to the same result.

This movie is gonna be bad. It's gonna be shit.There's nothing we can do about it at this point.

Seeing the poster in the lobby of the movie theater, my friend asked me if I was going to see it since he knew how huge a Sonic fan I was. I said that I didn't want to but he suggested it might be good to riff on. I like the idea of that, especially since it's most certainly going to bomb so the theater might be empty. So maybe I will... but I'm dreading it because, aside from the one positive about the trailer, it doesn't even look like it'll be the fun kind of bad. 

This trailer was chock full of the same, old, dusty, tired ass jokes we've seen over and over again. We just got this a few months ago with Detective Pikachu. Some guy walks into his house and discovers the ugly CG thing there. Only this trailer takes it a step further by doing the whole "The man screams and then the CG trash-panda screams too" thing. Also, as time went on my thoughts and feelings about the Detective Pikachu designs and the idea of it has shifted more into the positive. I still don't think it'll be anything amazing but that sense of it being straight up unbearable isn't there anymore. That cannot be said for Sonic here.

I've known about and seen this Sonic design for a long while by this point and unlike Detective Deadpool, everytime I look at it, Sonic's design looks worse.

It's just horrendously bad. It's ugly. It's unpleasant. I can't look at it without feeling like there's something slimy in my throat. The way he's animated, especially his gross, almost wrinkly mouth, is uncanny valley to the enth degree.

The design change has been confirmed for me to be wholly unnecessary now. If this change was made to make him look and feel more realistic, than they fucking failed. He looks fake as shit. He's clearly not there. This is no Thanos. It's not even a Detective Pikachu. It's almost too fake looking. At least if he had his original design, he'd be pleasant to look at. Maybe then they could go for a more Roger Rabbit thing where the contrast was the literal point. 

That is, if it absolutely had to be live-action, which is doesn't. It just doesn't. There's nothing here that would leave me or anyone in the general public to believe that this movie was better off taking this direction. 

Ben Schwartz, from what I hear in this trailer, and previously the only positive news I heard, actually doesn't sound all that impressive. As a first impression take on his voice I feel he doesn't do a bad job  but it doesn't really sound like the voice of a fantasy character. Kind of sounds like a slightly higher pitched normal... dude. Which is fine, but for me, personally, it's hard imagining that voice coming out of Sonic. Since this thing isn't Sonic, I guess it's easier to mesh the two though.

I have a positive though. The only positive actually. Ironically it was the one major negative I had before this trailer. The Ben Schwartz and Jim Carrey thing kind of did a flip for me after watching it. Jim Carrey is most likely going to be doing the Jim Carrey Shuffle throughout this entire movie and I'm on board for that. What he's doing and saying isn't particularly clever or really all that funny on it's own, but his delivery in these scenes managed to get me to laugh.

It was one laugh. I laughed once. Still, 'one' is more than 'none' so I have to give credit where it's due. That man knows how to mug for a camera.

That bit at the end where he looks like actual Eggman was... interesting. I feel like it's fairly obvious that form of his will barely be in the movie. It might even be an after-credits scene to set up the sequel that's never happening.

Make no mistake too, this movie's not getting a sequel. SO not happening dude.

In conclusion, Jim Carrey looks like he'll be mildly amusing but he certainly won't be able to save it. This movie was doomed from the word go with all the development hell, studio hopping, and terrible concepts on the face of it.

I even remember the initial reaction to hearing it would be live-action. People compared it to the Smurfs and some mouthpiece had to come out and reassure us it wouldn't be like the Smurfs. And yet here we are. Blue CGI thing shows up to "OUR WORLD" and has to be kept secret in the duffel bag by our generic human "audience" surrogate. 

Oh but DA BIG BAD MILITARY HAS TO COME AND STO-Jesus Christ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Ben Schwartz, from what I hear in this trailer, and previously the only positive news I heard, actually doesn't sound all that impressive. As a first impression take on his voice I feel he doesn't do a bad job  but it doesn't really sound like the voice of a fantasy character. Kind of sounds like a slightly higher pitched normal... dude. Which is fine, but for me, personally, it's hard imagining that voice coming out of Sonic. Since this thing isn't Sonic, I guess it's easier to mesh the two though.

Well to be fair to Ben Schwartz in the trailer is well... its a trailer.

Again not saying i approve but I am not basing performances on the trailer..... more how fuggin ugly sonic looks.

I mean there is still the chance the movie might be good (and its a snowballs chance in hell) but the only sucky part is how ugly sonic is.

Mind you I am actually very generous on trailers, sometimes what looks to be as great movie can turn out to be utter crap and vice versa.

Again mind you I expect this movie to be shit but at least I am opening the door a little.

Not optimism but more playful curiosity on my part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

A cool thing that I just discovered that was seen in the trailer. Apparently one of the voice actors from an very old Sonic TV show had an cameo appearance in the movie.:

 

Well that's just Prime. Not too shocked since they filmed in Canada but it is funny that Garry Chalk can't escape this franchise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I don't want to seem like a dick by saying this to any of the industrious young folks doing an edit, but I don't think there's any salvaging this. These edits just prove how unfixable the design is.

 

Actually I encourage it to show Paramount how utter shit they are

Fan redesigns are welcome in my book, post it on social media to fuck with viacom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having watched the trailer and Sonic in motion, I have to say that his design is somewhere between ugly and dull. Also can't unsee those teeth.

Though that last bit of Robotnik in what looks like Mushroom Hill was neat and really  hope that eating the mushrooms to survive causes him to trip so hard that he sees Sonic and his world just like in the games for the sequel. XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I don't want to seem like a dick by saying this to any of the industrious young folks doing an edit, but I don't think there's any salvaging this. These edits just prove how unfixable the design is.

 

Yeah. I'm fairly certain that stretching out a turd around the eyes isn't going to make it anymore pleasing to look at. They'd be better off doing something else with their time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I hate to say it, because I actually admire that you've kept to your optimism in the face of such violent opposition, but sorry, we all knew this was going to be awful from the beginning. Sonic in live action is just not going to work, and especially the way they are doing it here.

I disagree, I think Sonic can absolutely work in live action. But I would have approached the idea completely differently. I think Detective Pikachu showed that it could work in theory and so does Bumblebee to an extent. I just feel like the whole Buddy cop thing is an odd approach for this franchise but I was willing to accept it as a launching pad for the franchise. 

 

That being said, the reboot should be animated. Get the guys who made Into the Spider-Verse: Lord and Miller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When is Rouge gonna be in the movie?

Are the emeralds gonna be in the movie?

Will human guy be forced to say "give back the emeralds or die" because he doesn't love her?

Or will he actually be in love and sing a song about how "she's sexy and smoov"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, extreme ugliness aside, I do want to emphasis that as a design in and of itself, it doesn't make any sense.

For some reason, in the trailer, his muzzle is Sonic's regular flesh color but his stomach and his painted hands are full on, bleach white. 

The reason his hands are white is because they want to simulate his gloves without giving him gloves. However, they let him keep his shoes. Yet they also take away his socks and don't add white paint to simulate socks in their place.

I don't get it. Even if he didn't make it hard for me to eat while looking at him, I don't really understand what exactly some of these changes were trying to accomplish. Some of them I do see what they were going for and feel that they were wrong for thinking the way they did but stuff like this just boggles the mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Alright. I'm home now and I've had a few hours to process what I saw. It didn't do much good because I generally think and feel the same as I did when I initially watched the trailer.

Which is the same I felt when I was following the news of this thread. Which is the same I felt when I first heard the Sonic movie was going to be live-action. All this did, was pretty much confirm what I and a lot of other people already knew so there's not too much to be surprised about.

I'm not even going to bother entertaining  anyone who comes at me with the whole "Wait until the movie is out" song and dance. That's just the annoying cousin of the "wait until the trailer is out" defense and it often leads to the same result.

This movie is gonna be bad. It's gonna be shit.There's nothing we can do about it at this point.

Seeing the poster in the lobby of the movie theater, my friend asked me if I was going to see it since he knew how huge a Sonic fan I was. I said that I didn't want to but he suggested it might be good to riff on. I like the idea of that, especially since it's most certainly going to bomb so the theater might be empty. So maybe I will... but I'm dreading it because, aside from the one positive about the trailer, it doesn't even look like it'll be the fun kind of bad. 

This trailer was chock full of the same, old, dusty, tired ass jokes we've seen over and over again. We just got this a few months ago with Detective Pikachu. Some guy walks into his house and discovers the ugly CG thing there. Only this trailer takes it a step further by doing the whole "The man screams and then the CG trash-panda screams too" thing. Also, as time went on my thoughts and feelings about the Detective Pikachu designs and the idea of it has shifted more into the positive. I still don't think it'll be anything amazing but that sense of it being straight up unbearable isn't there anymore. That cannot be said for Sonic here.

I've known about and seen this Sonic design for a long while by this point and unlike Detective Deadpool, everytime I look at it, Sonic's design looks worse.

It's just horrendously bad. It's ugly. It's unpleasant. I can't look at it without feeling like there's something slimy in my throat. The way he's animated, especially his gross, almost wrinkly mouth, is uncanny valley to the enth degree.

The design change has been confirmed for me to be wholly unnecessary now. If this change was made to make him look and feel more realistic, than they fucking failed. He looks fake as shit. He's clearly not there. This is no Thanos. It's not even a Detective Pikachu. It's almost too fake looking. At least if he had his original design, he'd be pleasant to look at. Maybe then they could go for a more Roger Rabbit thing where the contrast was the literal point. 

That is, if it absolutely had to be live-action, which is doesn't. It just doesn't. There's nothing here that would leave me or anyone in the general public to believe that this movie was better off taking this direction. 

Ben Schwartz, from what I hear in this trailer, and previously the only positive news I heard, actually doesn't sound all that impressive. As a first impression take on his voice I feel he doesn't do a bad job  but it doesn't really sound like the voice of a fantasy character. Kind of sounds like a slightly higher pitched normal... dude. Which is fine, but for me, personally, it's hard imagining that voice coming out of Sonic. Since this thing isn't Sonic, I guess it's easier to mesh the two though.

I have a positive though. The only positive actually. Ironically it was the one major negative I had before this trailer. The Ben Schwartz and Jim Carrey thing kind of did a flip for me after watching it. Jim Carrey is most likely going to be doing the Jim Carrey Shuffle throughout this entire movie and I'm on board for that. What he's doing and saying isn't particularly clever or really all that funny on it's own, but his delivery in these scenes managed to get me to laugh.

It was one laugh. I laughed once. Still, 'one' is more than 'none' so I have to give credit where it's due. That man knows how to mug for a camera.

That bit at the end where he looks like actual Eggman was... interesting. I feel like it's fairly obvious that form of his will barely be in the movie. It might even be an after-credits scene to set up the sequel that's never happening.

Make no mistake too, this movie's not getting a sequel. SO not happening dude.

In conclusion, Jim Carrey looks like he'll be mildly amusing but he certainly won't be able to save it. This movie was doomed from the word go with all the development hell, studio hopping, and terrible concepts on the face of it.

I even remember the initial reaction to hearing it would be live-action. People compared it to the Smurfs and some mouthpiece had to come out and reassure us it wouldn't be like the Smurfs. And yet here we are. Blue CGI thing shows up to "OUR WORLD" and has to be kept secret in the duffel bag by our generic human "audience" surrogate. 

Oh but DA BIG BAD MILITARY HAS TO COME AND STO-Jesus Christ...

That’s the problem with Exact Words: Dumbo the Garfield won’t be like the Smurfs because there’s only one of them, and there’s a military, and it’s set in a small town, or other minor points, rather than the core of the film, make this part of a long, declining line of films from Scooby-Doo all the way up to Dumbo. 

 

As for this affecting the rest of the franchise; did the RE films ever affect the games? In any way? I hope this applies to Dumbo the Garfield, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming the people involved made the movie they wanted and made it with the assumption that people are gonna like it, I wonder what goes through their mind when they see the less than 50% approval on the trailers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final thought for today: can't put myself through the torture of reading 30+ pages of new comments, but was anybody in the "HE HAS TO LOOK REALISTIC TO MAKE SENSE" camp complain about the trailer using the actual game sound effects? I hope they did, because remember, IT HAS TO BE REALISTIC and those sound effects are NOT fitting into the setting, trailer or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the trailer isn't a reflection of the final product in such a way to make all the dissenting opinions on it negligible than why the fuck would you bother putting the trailer out in the first place? If that were true (which it's not) that still sounds like it'd be worthy of scorn and ridicule if only to chastise you about the really dumb thing you did with your marketing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks absolutely horrendous, bland, unfunny and I honestly don’t think there is anything positive to say about Sonic’s design. The claws on his fingers, the naked, skinny legs and body...ewww it’s just super unappealing to me! Imagine what Tails and Knuckles would’ve looked like?! Thank God they’re not around..also, not a big fan of Ben Schwartz’s voice. It seems off for some reason. 

I guess the only somewhat decent thing about this was Jim Carrey as Dr Robotnik, but even that seems too typical crazy Jim Carrey shtick. I chuckled a bit but more in disbelief than cos it was genuinely funny.

I’ll be seeing Detective Pikachu on the big screen in two weeks. This though? Never! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.