Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

6 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

We've barely got though trailer 1 and Movie Sonic is already trending closer to Archie Sonic than Sega Sonic in terms of being OP.

I honestly don't trust the writers to create any kind of reasonable middle ground with his speed. Established comic book writers often refer to speedsters as the single hardest characters to account for - and they often muk it up knowing that in advance. 

Why even open that can of worms? Forget not being able to dodge a tranq dart, with that kind of speed Sonic would have had ample time to avoid detection in the second it takes Marston to open the door. Now I have to go through the whole movie wondering why Sonic just doesn't solve all his problems in the blink of an eye. All conflict becomes mute.

One of the reasons I don't like speedster stories to be frank. The nonsense that has to be done to make regular people a threat to speedsters who can act in the time it takes human synapse to discharge a signal is beyond insulting to watch. Though speed issues aside, I still can't figure out why Sonic is suddenly a lightning creature of magical speed and energy instead of just a anthropomorphic hedgehog who runs fast.

On other notes, though I know reactions from other people don't really serve anything here I found the contrast between my older brother and sister's reactions interesting. While they both disliked what they saw my brother at least liked Carrey (which is different from me wo disliked Carrey) where my sister hated everything and went so far as to describe it she felt like part of her childhood died. Frankly my sister's reaction is easily the most dramatic that I've seen (I don't watch reaction videos so...) though I understand her sentiment since the joy and bonds that Sonic brought my siblings and me as kids is kind of irreplaceable and to see something which doesn't seem to understand an ounce of what appealed to us hurts to see.

Moving on to a different set of reactions, to those defenders of the movie surprised by how severe the backlash is, you failed to account for Sonic's cultural osmosis. He was massive in the nineties, being at his peak described as more globally recognizable than Mickey Mouse (I even remember hearing that as a kid and being amazed that Sonic was so big). He was one of the first franchises inducted into the Videogame Hall of Fame and is one of the most recognizable videogame characters period in a market that competes with Hollywood on annual revenue. Then of course there is his biggest call to fame and his greatest single accomplishment; he is the one and only truly recognized rival of the most successful gaming mascot; Mario. That means that darn near anyone who knows about videogames, even those daft outsider who refer to videogames as Nintendo, know who Sonic is. This means his design, his aesthetic, his place in the world is known by so many millions of people it's staggering. Heck for the longest of times he was in the Macy's thanksgiving day parade and for a time was plastered all over formula one cars (the most viewed type of racing on a global scale). There are even medical/science terms named after him and Eggman because of how huge he was in the 90s. And the best part, most of those people from the nineties introduced their kids to Sonic and you had countless more introduced through X, the adventure era, and even BOOM and experienced that same aesthetic even with eth change of atmosphere. Probably most importantly though is to remember that it was change that caused most Sonic fans to move on.

Green eyes, voices, humans, blue arms, realism.

These are all things that have turned Sonic fans away from Sonic over the years asides from a drop in quality, but hat is all they were, turned away. Sonic was introduced to the world in the 1990s. It's only 2019 so that means all of these people are still around and they still remember why they moved on from Sonic. And guess what; this movie has pretty much every single reason ramped up to eleven.

It's really no surprise to me how much backlash a movie that has disrespected so much of a videogame icon's history, aesthetic, atmosphere, and world has received. If anything has surprised me it's how many people like it unironically. And you know what that's cool because they have the right to like it. Where I get really stumped though is when defenders who are long time fans say that this is what they always wanted Sonic to be as too me this is so different from anything I've ever seen Sonic be that I wonder how they stayed fans for so long. But that's getting off the point. Point is though, Sonic is widely known and beloved, and this movie has demonstrated so far that it has missed the mark in reflecting that the filmmakers understood why and the resulting backlash is the natural effect of that. Just like you defenders tried to warn us that this was going to happen, how outnumbered you were by people expressing disdain should have prepared you for how massive the backlash would be.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

35 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It's implied in interviews and in the Reddit leak that Sonic is still learning to control his speed. Him getting shot (I refuse to acknowledge it's a tranquilizer, if I dream hard enough maybe Sonic will finally be dead) is at the first act of the film when he meets Tom, so you wouldn't expect him to Quicksilver his way out of that.

Stop making me defend this movie. 

If he's so bad at controlling his speed at the time of their encounter, what sparked Tom to search for him in the first place? Plus, what about that whole speed-o-meter scene? I have a very hard time buying that he can't make a quick dodge, even if it ends banging into a wall or something..

19 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

If he's so bad at controlling his speed at the time of their encounter, what sparked Tom to search for him in the first place? Plus, what about that whole speed-o-meter scene? I have a very hard time buying that he can't make a quick dodge, even if it ends banging into a wall or something..

I said stop making me defend this garbage.

Spoiler territory if you aren't privy to the leaks:

Sonic's only able to use his super speed when he's really focused or undergoing intense emotion. The runway bit is him practicing. 

The fact that his super speed is causing electrical problems is indicative that it isn't under control yet. The government is searching for him, not Tom.

Tom encounters Sonic in his shed because he thinks he's a raccoon rummaging in the trash. Sonic is the one seeking them out because Tom's wife Tika is a veterinarian who's nice to animals. The speedometer scene with Tom is a set-up to introduce you to the main cast, a lot of films use this form of foreshadowing there the characters have been in the vicinity but have not met each other yet.

Great.... not only is Sonic the laughing stock and ridicule of the gaming industry but he is also that in the film industry.

lets face it... Sega and Paramount have put the final nails in Sonic’s coffin.

I urge EVERYONE to vote with their wallets and not go and see this movie. Don’t give Paramount a single pound/dollar towards this garbage. We need to make sure it’s a complete failure otherwise it could mean a dreaded sequel.

Honestly Paramount should skip a theatrical release and just put it straight to Netflix. At least a bad Netflix movie will be forgotten about quicker than a bad cinema released movie.

1 minute ago, StarWarsSonic said:

lets face it... Sega and Paramount have put the final nails in Sonic’s coffin.

Make no mistake, almost everyone universally agrees the film will be shit, but I hardly think this is the killing blow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, DreamSaturn said:

Make no mistake, almost everyone universally agrees the film will be shit, but I hardly think this is the killing blow.

I think it's going to be good fun. Again we got to stop with the "universally" thinking with this franchise. 

As for the speed I'd say hes always had it but likes to push the extent. Sort of like tapping the speed force

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

I think it's going to be good fun. Again we got to stop with the "universally" thinking with this franchise.

Maybe you don't. But as my post states, the majority disagrees.

ld2.JPG

ld2.JPG

Arguably that's a majority of l dislikes that is far below the view count and is barely around 50% greater than the likes. If anything it more goes to show that it is not universal as you are arguing. Now that isn't to say that the dislike is not widespread, but your sample works against probing a universal standard.

ld2.JPG

Wrong as some whose made videos since 07, a YouTube like bar equates to noting but random people clicking a button. That does not speak on a films success. Venom was panned by critics but people actually enjoyed the film. 

5 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Arguably that's a majority of l dislikes that is far below the view count and is barely around 50% greater than the likes. If anything it more goes to show that it is not universal as you are arguing. Now that isn't to say that the dislike is not widespread, but your sample works against probing a universal standard.

If this were the only place that the movie were being discussed, I'd agree. But it isn't.

There's also the backlash on places like Twitter, other videos (Hi, guy who uploaded that Sonic Armageddon video. A good few of the comments I've gotten are regarding this movie.)

So universal? Probably a poor choice of words, sure. But the majority is definitely expecting this to be a dud.

Wrong as some whose made videos since 07, a YouTube like bar equates to noting but random people clicking a button. That does not speak on a films success. Venom was panned by critics but people actually enjoyed the film. 

Ghostbuster 2016 says hello.

22 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I said stop making me defend this garbage.

LOL

Spoiler

Even if it was the case - that he was learning to control his speed - that still doesn't excuse the situation. Even the ability to utilize a small portion of that speed would have been enough to duck Marston or dodge the dart. And then that creates another ass-pull where I am supposed to believe Sonic develops his powers from Mach 1 all they way to faster-than-displacement-physics-all-togehter in the span of 1 adventure.

That's a big pill to swallow. Either way, I'd be calling B.S.

1 minute ago, DreamSaturn said:

But the majority is definitely expecting this to be a dud.

The majority of those actually talking about it I can agree with, but there are a lot of people who are not partaking in this rhetoric and they cannot be accounted for as a result making it questionable if the majority is really just the loudest of those bemoaning the movie or the quiet majority who have not voiced their opinion for the masses to consume. I find a better barometer of the situation is the need for even a co-producer to link to an article that is trying to stay positive and the shock that the defenders have experienced in seeing how feral and widespread the backlash is. As it stands right now though, simply amongst the vocal can we argue that the majority are not pleased with this and even then I've seen plenty of love for the movie where I browse so even then it's hard to prove anything. That said though, the backlash is massive and is anything but an illusion, but turning to extremes like we are wont to do is getting a little too close to being hyperbolic.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

41 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

ld2.JPG

I’ll ignore this. There are thousands that go and hit dislike because they were told to or for lulz.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Reveal Trailer and Justin Bieber’s Baby are two of the top four most disliked videos on YT. But look at their successes. So dislikes really mean nothing.

2 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

I’ll ignore this. There are thousands that go and hit dislike because they were told to or for lulz.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Reveal Trailer and Justin Bieber’s Baby are two of the top four most disliked videos on YT. But look at their successes. So dislikes really mean nothing.

Or maybe people really just don't like what they see? Like, again, with Ghostbusters 2016?

Not everything is a troll or ploy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Or maybe people really just don't like what they see? Like, again, with Ghostbusters 2016?

Not everything is a troll or ploy.

I did not say EVERYONE that hit the dislike button did it for lulz. But there are thousands of them.

I was aware of you using Ghostbusters. But the reason why I used Baby and CoD was to throw that back at you to argue that huge number of dislikes doesn’t mean the film is going to fail/bomb.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

I did not say EVERYONE that hit the dislike button did it for lulz. But there are thousands of them.

Most people really don't care that much. Sonic as a franchise is still popular, but there are very few people really truly petty enough to go out of their way to dislike a movie trailer for a franchise that, again, while still popular, has long since past it's heyday.

Most people viewing it are pretty casual compared to you or I.

6 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Most people really don't care that much. Sonic as a franchise is still popular, but there are very few people really truly petty enough to go out of their way to dislike a movie trailer for a franchise that, again, while still popular, has long since past it's heyday.

Most people viewing it are pretty casual compared to you or I.

You are really underestimating that, especially to the ones who are on Reddit and communities who post about the dislikes and they follow the leader. Let me remind you that Bieber has 10M dislikes to his name.

1 minute ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

You are really underestimating that, especially to the ones who are on Reddit and communities who post about the dislikes and they follow the leader. Let me remind you that Bieber has 10M dislikes to his name.

I think you vastly overestimate that, especially when those usually net a couple dozen, maybe if we're talking Bieber, maybe a few hundred tops. But certainly not enough to get the kinds of numbers the Sonic movie is seeing.

I think you vastly overestimate that, especially when those usually net a couple dozen, maybe if we're talking Bieber, maybe a few hundred tops. But certainly not enough to get the kinds of numbers the Sonic movie is seeing.

Point is, the number of dislikes on this Sonic film trailer doesn’t mean bomb/failure. It could end up like The Smurfs (2011).

Just now, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

Point is, the number of dislikes on this Sonic film trailer doesn’t mean bomb/failure. It could end up like The Smurfs (2011).

I fear you may actually be right, with the number of people who go to movies like the Emoji Movie "just to see how bad it is".

• Thumbs Up 2

Even aside from the possibility that Sonic is still figuring out how to use his speed, it's not actually unreasonable for him to be caught by surprise and fail to use it. Sure, yes, he's apparently capable of moving/thinking so fast that it's as if time has stopped, but we see this in a situation where he's clearly aware that he's about to be attacked. Compare this to being caught unaware, and everyone starts screaming, and a dart gets fired without warning. He's not a flawless machine always picking the optimal choice, he's a trash rat with a superpower.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

There are a few more examples I can think of too. Batman v Superman, The Emoji Movie, Transformers, TMNT, Epic Movie.

The trouble with the Sonic movie is that he has already had a bad reputation in the public eye. Even if the design was good, people would still bash it, because well. It's Sonic.

My view however, I thought it would be a train wreck. But it actually looks pretty decent. Carrey looks like he's fully enjoying himself and having fun playing the Egghead. Heck, Sonic's VA, Schwartz sounds pretty good. Special effects are incredible, and the charcater interactions and lines cracked me up a few times.

What I can't defend though, is the god awful design of Sonic. It looks almost nothing like what Sonic should be. 

Let's talk about trailers for a moment. It's very rare that a trailer this bad and unpromising still leads to a good film, but it'd be disingenuous of us to say it has never happened. The Ghosbusters 2016 trailer that this thread so often brings up was indeed no good, but the film itself turned out to be perfectly fine and funny, and a lot of the people who still hold strong negative feelings for the film either 1) never saw it when it came out, or 2) are the type of people who watched and created videos with titles such as "Feminazis RUIN the GhostBUSTAHs." It was a slightly above average comedy (by Hollywood standards) and dealt no damage to the franchise overall.

Conversely, let's look at Suicide Squad, a movie that got re-shot to hell and back after audiences enjoyed a trailer that promised a light-hearted action romp. Unfortunately, the studio had ACTUALLY created a more depressing and dark film that test audiences weren't going for, so a hacksaw was taken to the whole thing to create the Frankenstein's monster of cinematic garbage that got released into theaters. It was one of the more successful DC films at the time, but public opinion swung hard against it in the span of only a couple months after release.

Taking it back to Sonic now, it's far too late for the film to get extensive reshoot like Suicide Squad, for better or for worse. The film has already been delayed multiple times and whether the studio is happy about it or not, this seems to be what we are getting. The absolute best we can hope for is a Ghostbusters situation where the actual movie has better jokes and the Sonic brand is not damaged. Comedies in particular are hard to produce trailers for, but I don't want to give Sonic too much benefit of the doubt when clear cut mistakes like Sonic and Robotnik's designs are on display. The action angle also muddies things, as I haven't been convinced that prolonged action scenes with a poorly integrated CGI character fighting mechs and drones will look good. The recent TMNT films at least had a shitton of money poured into them to make their action scenes pop, but Sonic is looking rather cheap, and people's comparisons to the protagonist of Hop and the Garfield films makes that even clearer.

I've no hopes for this film, but I'd like to be proven wrong. I could write a small essay on why that "child in a bag" joke doesn't work, but it may not even be in the final film cut because of the way Hollywood trailers fabricate scenes from scraps left on the cutting room floor sometimes. The chances are slim, though, and no one should have to give this film the benefit of the doubt; the Sonic franchise has managed to limp by on good-faith purchases for far too long now and it's gotten us nothing but bad games and shit movie trailers lately. I'm not going to pay to see a film that looks like this, not even for the riffing potential.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1