Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

Recommended Posts

Let's talk about trailers for a moment. It's very rare that a trailer this bad and unpromising still leads to a good film, but it'd be disingenuous of us to say it has never happened. The Ghosbusters 2016 trailer that this thread so often brings up was indeed no good, but the film itself turned out to be perfectly fine and funny, and a lot of the people who still hold strong negative feelings for the film either 1) never saw it when it came out, or 2) are the type of people who watched and created videos with titles such as "Feminazis RUIN the GhostBUSTAHs." It was a slightly above average comedy (by Hollywood standards) and dealt no damage to the franchise overall.

Conversely, let's look at Suicide Squad, a movie that got re-shot to hell and back after audiences enjoyed a trailer that promised a light-hearted action romp. Unfortunately, the studio had ACTUALLY created a more depressing and dark film that test audiences weren't going for, so a hacksaw was taken to the whole thing to create the Frankenstein's monster of cinematic garbage that got released into theaters. It was one of the more successful DC films at the time, but public opinion swung hard against it in the span of only a couple months after release.

Taking it back to Sonic now, it's far too late for the film to get extensive reshoot like Suicide Squad, for better or for worse. The film has already been delayed multiple times and whether the studio is happy about it or not, this seems to be what we are getting. The absolute best we can hope for is a Ghostbusters situation where the actual movie has better jokes and the Sonic brand is not damaged. Comedies in particular are hard to produce trailers for, but I don't want to give Sonic too much benefit of the doubt when clear cut mistakes like Sonic and Robotnik's designs are on display. The action angle also muddies things, as I haven't been convinced that prolonged action scenes with a poorly integrated CGI character fighting mechs and drones will look good. The recent TMNT films at least had a shitton of money poured into them to make their action scenes pop, but Sonic is looking rather cheap, and people's comparisons to the protagonist of Hop and the Garfield films makes that even clearer.

I've no hopes for this film, but I'd like to be proven wrong. I could write a small essay on why that "child in a bag" joke doesn't work, but it may not even be in the final film cut because of the way Hollywood trailers fabricate scenes from scraps left on the cutting room floor sometimes. The chances are slim, though, and no one should have to give this film the benefit of the doubt; the Sonic franchise has managed to limp by on good-faith purchases for far too long now and it's gotten us nothing but bad games and shit movie trailers lately. I'm not going to pay to see a film that looks like this, not even for the riffing potential.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Legendary Emerald said:

Let's talk about trailers for a moment. It's very rare that a trailer this bad and unpromising still leads to a good film, but it'd be disingenuous of us to say it has never happened.

The only film in recent times that I can think of which had a really bad first trailer but actually turned out to be a pretty good film, was Star Trek Beyond.

But this is just... "We have to make it realistic or people won't take it seriously!"

1795.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=60cbb9cae9d286c0fc8ec9b935ae7cb3

People are not going to take ManHog the Shiny Teeth seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

The only film in recent times that I can think of which had a really bad first trailer but actually turned out to be a pretty good film, was Star Trek Beyond.

But this is just... "We have to make it realistic or people won't take it seriously!"

1795.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=60cbb9cae9d286c0fc8ec9b935ae7cb3

People are not going to take ManHog the Shiny Teeth seriously.

Oh, I entirely agree. My post isn't meant to defend the film in any way, but I wanted to cover some bases I hadn't seen explored before here.

Just for fun though, in addition to my example of Ghosbusters 2016,  I also remember the initial trailers for Paddington Bear being so disgusting and unfunny that I never could have imagined it being decent. To my and everyone else's surprise, it became a modern family film classic and got a sequel only a few years later. And I STILL haven't seen it, because the imagery in that trailer was so bad. Even if this Sonic movie did turn out to be a good family film, I probably wouldn't be able to bring myself to watch it for the same reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

The only film in recent times that I can think of which had a really bad first trailer but actually turned out to be a pretty good film, was Star Trek Beyond.

But this is just... "We have to make it realistic or people won't take it seriously!"

1795.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=60cbb9cae9d286c0fc8ec9b935ae7cb3

People are not going to take ManHog the Shiny Teeth seriously.

Good sir, I will tell you that that is no "hog" of any kind. That right there is a grossly humanoid cyclops that appears to have some freakishly white choppers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Legendary Emerald said:

Oh, I entirely agree. My post isn't meant to defend the film in any way, but I wanted to cover some bases I hadn't seen explored before here

I know you're not, I just wanted to add a little more than "Star Trek Beyond is the one rare exception."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Midnight's Edge, a truly fantastic channel with lots of inside contacts, are currently covering this movie.

I guarantee you it will be interesting viewing. These guys really know their shit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been hot with a deep depression know knowing that this movie won't be out until 9th January here in Australia. I honestly don't know what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

...it's not actually unreasonable for him to be caught by surprise and fail to use it.

I wish more people would think like this...especially when it came to flying characters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alexios31 said:

I have been hot with a deep depression know knowing that this movie won't be out until 9th January here in Australia. I honestly don't know what to do.

If it's something that's seriously effecting you that badly, well, I don't know if that's entirely healthy but I can safely assure you the camrip will be online before long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

I have been hot with a deep depression know knowing that this movie won't be out until 9th January here in Australia. I honestly don't know what to do.

Fly to the USA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

I have been hot with a deep depression know knowing that this movie won't be out until 9th January here in Australia. I honestly don't know what to do.

UK is only 2 weeks sooner. Get yourself into a press screening before hand. That's what I'm gonna do. It's always possible to blag your way into these things if you get chatting to the staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Fly to the USA?

Dude, if it were that easy for him, do you think he would be depressed, like at all? He obviously don't have the money to do that if he's tweeting that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ruomarta said:

Dude, if it were that easy for him, do you think he would be depressed, like at all? He obviously don't have the money to do that if he's tweeting that.

There's 6 months to sort that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Even aside from the possibility that Sonic is still figuring out how to use his speed, it's not actually unreasonable for him to be caught by surprise and fail to use it. Sure, yes, he's apparently capable of moving/thinking so fast that it's as if time has stopped, but we see this in a situation where he's clearly aware that he's about to be attacked. Compare this to being caught unaware, and everyone starts screaming, and a dart gets fired without warning. He's not a flawless machine always picking the optimal choice, he's a trash rat with a superpower.

Boo

This isn't Sonic getting sucker-punched in the back of the head. Sonic was clearly in restricted territory (rummaging around someones garage) and should have been on some degree of alert since he theoretically would be putting great emphasis on not getting caught. (its not a stretch to say he avoids interactions with humans). Marston doens't enter the room gun blazing either. Not only does he announce his presence, but upon entry is flashing his light in the wrong direction before swiveling to locate Sonic. Cue banter, cue dart.

Even if you take out the banter as creative editing, Marston wasn't getting the jump on a speedster like that. A person with normal reaction time would have had enough time to at least attempt to scuttle and hide behind a box or something. You can't waive off Sonic getting caught off guard when the threat telegraphed its entry and even looked the wrong way. Sonic by any stretch of the imagination should have been LONG gone. Marston should have found nothing but a gust of wind.

If he got shot in the back? Sure. If he got startled and fell down giving the guy a clear shot? okay. But not standing on his feet staring directly as a guy pointing a GUN AT HIS FACE. Nope. Not buying what your selling one bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

UK is only 2 weeks sooner. Get yourself into a press screening before hand. That's what I'm gonna do. It's always possible to blag your way into these things if you get chatting to the staff.

No press screenings here until early January. I honestly might have to fly to the states...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Legendary Emerald said:

The Ghosbusters 2016 trailer that this thread so often brings up was indeed no good, but the film itself turned out to be perfectly fine and funny, and a lot of the people who still hold strong negative feelings for the film either 1) never saw it when it came out, or 2) are the type of people who watched and created videos with titles such as "Feminazis RUIN the GhostBUSTAHs.

I watched it, it was shit, boring, and most of the humor was forced feeling. Certainly was one of the least funny films of that year. If you’re seriously insinuating most who don’t like it never saw it or are bigots that hate women, I’m at a loss for words

23 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

I'm strongly considering it... money is just going to be an issue. 

Dude, it’s a film that’ll likely be under average and disappointing in a lot of ways, it’s not worth throwing a ton of hard earned money for just to travel to a different country just to see a movie a few months early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

If he got shot in the back? Sure. If he got startled and fell down giving the guy a clear shot? okay. But not standing on his feet staring directly as a guy pointing a GUN AT HIS FACE. Nope. Not buying what your selling one bit.

Reaction time = predicting what someone would do and when they'll do it...is all this means.

Sonic got shot by a guy, let it be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I watched it, it was shit, boring, and most of the humor was forced feeling. Certainly was one of the least funny films of that year. If you’re seriously insinuating most who don’t like it never saw it or are bigots that hate women, I’m at a loss for words

Dude, it’s a film that’ll likely be under average and disappointing in a lot of ways, it’s not worth throwing a ton of hard earned money for just to travel to a different country just to see a movie a few months early. 

I’ve been waiting for a Sonic movie my whole life... it may be a bad movie but it will still bring me lots of joy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

No press screenings here until early January. I honestly might have to fly to the states...

Well the states is always a blast with a gnarly craft beer scene. There are worse ideas! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

There's 6 months to sort that out.

Not to say that he can't, but you do realize that international travel is EXTREMELY expensive, especially these days? And not to jinx his financial situation, but who knows what issue may come down the line for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Reaction time = predicting what someone would do and when they'll do it...is all this means.

What? Thats not what reaction time means at all.

Reaction time is the measurable amount of time it takes for someone or something to take in input/information and turn it into an action. Anything based on prediction is the opposite of reaction.

 

Quote

Sonic got shot by a guy, let it be.

If people like me let it be, then future writers will try to get away with it.

Its not a problem with getting shot, its the manner in which it happens. Professor Zoom (Reverse Flash) gets his brains blown out in one of the DC animated movies - but it came from an unexpected angle and time, so it worked. Its not too much to ask for some creativity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Even aside from the possibility that Sonic is still figuring out how to use his speed, it's not actually unreasonable for him to be caught by surprise and fail to use it. Sure, yes, he's apparently capable of moving/thinking so fast that it's as if time has stopped, but we see this in a situation where he's clearly aware that he's about to be attacked. Compare this to being caught unaware, and everyone starts screaming, and a dart gets fired without warning. He's not a flawless machine always picking the optimal choice, he's a trash rat with a superpower.

Since he's still figuring out his power, I can't wait for the scene where we learn that it's gonna be a throwaway character like Tom who gives him the 'Sonic' name.

Also, I could at least give the movie a few points for being self-aware if Tom said something like "You look something straight out from a shitty video game adaptaion movie!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.