Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

This is like me asking you to provide proof that every single dislike on that video is genuine and not influenced by anybody else, just themselves.

You literally said in this post

That you can discount THOUSANDS of dislikes to the video because they were told to dislike it.

I asked you to prove 2 things.

1: That someone did tell people to dislike the video.

2: That it had some kind of impact in the thousands.

 

So far all you've done is say "Well these people said it" and only 1 of them has over 100 upvotes on his comments. Which doesn't even prove anything.

Where are these thousands of people who have been influenced that you were referring to, because you know what I think? I think the vast majority of people either liked the trailer because they actually liked it... or they disliked the video because they actually disliked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man some poor IDW artist is going to have to draw this monstrosity eventually. I can't imagine there won't be some kind of Prequel comic (Maybe single issue stories focused on Tom, Robotnik, the General maybe and Sonic) or, May God have mercy on us all, a full fledged 4 issue Adaptation of the movie. Or worse both.

I do wonder who out of the IDW talent pool would be a good choice for comic tie-ins? Tracy would be interesting but might reach uncanny valley like how he drew Danica Patrick in the All Stars Racing Transformed comic. Evan Stanley and Adam Bryce Thomas would be my goto's for this. They both have a slightly more realistic edge to their art style anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do people assume people who downvote watch said videos. I downvote all the time without watch more than 4 secs of some videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

You literally said in this post

That you can discount THOUSANDS of dislikes to the video because they were told to.

I asked you to prove 2 things.

1: That someone did tell people to dislike the video.

I just posted some proof that people in the comments and 4chan wanting others to dislike the video.

Quote

2: That it had some kind of impact in the thousands.

Maybe the "thousands" was an overstretch. Hundreds would have been a better fit.

Quote

So far all you've done is say "Well these people said it" and only 1 of them has over 100 upvotes on his comments. Which doesn't even prove anything.

Maybe in your world. Because it does prove something. That there are people out there who want this trailer to be the most disliked YT video. So they are telling others to downvote it. If you can't see that, then we're done here.

Quote

Where are these thousands of people who have been influenced that you were referring to, because you know what I think? I think the vast majority of people either liked the trailer because they actually liked it... or they disliked the video because they actually disliked it.

I think you are getting muddled here. When I meant 'thousands', I did not mean thousands = majority. Of course, the majority genuinely picked the disliked button because they genuinely dislike it after watching the trailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are different kinds of people. Assuming all act the same is stupid because we are all different people.

One person can dislike a video because they ...well...disliked the video itself.

One person can dislike it because another told them to do so.

One can because he's in a bad mood that day.

One can because they clicked dislike on accident.

One can like the video itself, but dislike the fact it has ads in it.

 

You can't assume all people disliked for the same reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly feel like fan edits do very little to fix it up, even the ones that look better than what we got still end up looking pretty creepy with uncanny valley smiles.

And to be fair, I’m not blaming them, but I feel like the design was so badly done that it’s just pretty unworkable. Even trying to edit the eyes and smile still leaves a creepy effect because the design on a core level is so bad that it really requires a literal full level rework from the ground up to get anywhere near appealing. I still standby the idea that the only rework that worked well was when the original model leaked, and someone literally just did a concept image of Game!Sonic with realistic fur. 

It’s an admirable attempt from fans, and they still manage to do something better than the movie itself, but I feel like the design is so bad that even photoshopping and editing does very little to fix it because something on a conceptual level has gone wrong with the design, and I can’t quite place my finger on what it is exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I honestly feel like fan edits do very little to fix it up, even the ones that look better than what we got still end up looking pretty creepy with uncanny valley smiles.

And to be fair, I’m not blaming them, but I feel like the design was so badly done that it’s just pretty unworkable. Even trying to edit the eyes and smile still leaves a creepy effect because the design on a core level is so bad that it really requires a literal full level rework from the ground up to get anywhere near appealing. I still standby the idea that the only rework that worked well was when the original model leaked, and someone literally just did a concept image of Game!Sonic with realistic fur. 

It’s an admirable attempt from fans, and they still manage to do something better than the movie itself, but I feel like the design is so bad that even photoshopping and editing does very little to fix it because something on a conceptual level has gone wrong with the design, and I can’t quite place my finger on what it is exactly.

D5a3HyOXsAA2KgC?format=png&name=900x900

Even that one? 

It wouldn't take much to go with this design (you know, the REAL one, not the midget wearing a "sanic" pijamas design they went with), but adding realistic texture to his gloves, socks, shoes and a bit of fur... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jango said:

D5a3HyOXsAA2KgC?format=png&name=900x900

Even that one? 

It wouldn't take much to go with this design (you know, the REAL one, not the midget wearing a "sanic" pijamas design they went with), but adding realistic texture to his gloves, socks, shoes and a bit of fur... 

No, that one looks pretty good, but it’s pretty much just out and out removing the movie model and replacing it with a realistic game version, hence why I said you’d need to redo the model completely from the ground up.

The fan edits I’m talking about is where they try to take the current model that’s in the trailer, and change the eyes/mouth, and it still leaves an uncanny valley effect. The edit you posted removes the model entirely and replaces it, and works much better because of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That edit just says roger rabbit cartoon. They were trying to go with a more realistic approach than a game character model straight from the game verse.

 

Regardless I watched the trailer again and cant help but smile from excitement

The good.

Eggman

Eggman mechs

The kid joke

The speed and spin dash

The bad:

Odd falling sequences

Sonics mouth. That's it I could live with the eyes but that mouth. Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

That edit just says roger rabbit cartoon. They were trying to go with a more realistic approach than a game character model straight from the game verse.

 

Regardless I watched the trailer again and cant help but smile from excitement

The good.

Eggman

Eggman mechs

The kid joke

The speed and spin dash

The bad:

Odd falling sequences

Sonics mouth. That's it I could live with the eyes but that mouth. Man

Most of those points for me I’d put in the bad outside Eggman and maybe the spindash.

Also YES WE KNOW. We know what the devs were shooting for regarding the design , and people have been saying since day one we found it shit. Can we stop using that line as a defense for the film? What the developers want doesn’t exempt it from being bad looking to most 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was thinking about Gangsta's Paradise, and I realized something.This movie should have been a 1990s period piece. IF THEY WANTED the film's tone to be set by Sonic pressing play on a boombox and starting a song from 1995, then this film should have happened then.

It would've been like watching the X-Men prequels (60s, 70s, then 80s), or Captain Marvel (90s), or even Guardians of the Galaxy (80s soundtrack, in-universe).

The bullying military would have fit. The "origins" nature of showing pre-Eggman and early Sonic (and the word Genesis) would have fit. We would be watching for MTV or a Toys R Us in the background. Sonic could have thrown out a Super Nintendo as a joke. The very end could've played It Doesn't Matter or Open Your Heart.

But, since this ISN'T a 90s period piece... then Gangsta's Paradise on a boombox was likely a bad choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

So I was thinking about Gangsta's Paradise, and I realized something.This movie should have been a 1990s period piece. IF THEY WANTED the film's tone to be set by Sonic pressing play on a boombox and starting a song from 1995, then this film should have happened then.

It would've been like watching the X-Men prequels (60s, 70s, then 80s), or Captain Marvel (90s), or even Guardians of the Galaxy (80s soundtrack, in-universe).

The bullying military would have fit. The "origins" nature of showing pre-Eggman and early Sonic (and the word Genesis) would have fit. We would be watching for MTV or a Toys R Us in the background. Sonic could have thrown out a Super Nintendo as a joke. The very end could've played It Doesn't Matter or Open Your Heart.

But, since this ISN'T a 90s period piece... then Gangsta's Paradise on a boombox was likely a bad choice.

Then how could we have Sonic flossing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly found the kid joke to be pretty bad. It kind of reminds me of the fart joke from TTG To the Movies that was played constantly in the trailers, and was meant to be their big stinger, even though it wasn't particularly funny. 

It just kind of stunk of the normal "THE NORMAL GUY HAS TO KEEP THE SUPERNATURAL CREATURE HIDDEN FROM OTHERS, LMAAAAAO, HAM SANDWICH!!". Honestly, this is the kind of humour I've been dreading since the first reveal that Tom would be prominent in the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'd compare it to Kingdom Hearts.  I actually quite like KH for its gameplay, but narratively speaking, there is no way in hell you're going to convince me to take Mickey Mouse wearing a pitch black cloak and spouting dark soliloquies (let alone the multitude of other silly things that plague the game's plot, but I digress) with even the tiniest iota of seriousness.  Not even because I think Mickey is incapable of telling "serious" story lines*, but the direction in which the Kingdom Hearts series attempts to do it is so laughably off-kilter for the character that it just doesn't work.  Similarly, I watch this trailer and see how transparently cookie cutter it is at its best and the only thing that really comes to mind this...

 

...except played 100% straight.

 

EDIT: *By serious, I don't mean grim, dark, brooding, but that you can empathize with the protagonist without constantly reminding yourself that it's a giant, talking cartoon rodent made for children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Most of those points for me I’d put in the bad outside Eggman and maybe the spindash.

Also YES WE KNOW. We know what the devs were shooting for regarding the design , and people have been saying since day one we found it shit. Can we stop using that line as a defense for the film? What the developers want doesn’t exempt it from being bad looking to most 

I mean one could use as much as a defense than some random fan thinking "they" "fixed " the film by offering up their vision of they wanted sonic to look like a actual game model.  maybe if sonic came off a game disc into our world it make more sense

17 minutes ago, Razule said:

Then how could we have Sonic flossing?

I still want to see him twerk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the motivations of the people downvoting an awful movie trailer really the hill y'all want to die on? The movie looks like rotten horse glue and everyone mindlessly clowning on it is ironically doing so on a good pretense. 

Also can we stop bringing up that SA3 Facebook page? Let 'em go stark raving mad in their little contrarian echo chamber. 

Still composing my thoughts for the trailer, by the by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure Paramount are just happy that the trailer is almost at 20 million views in less than 3 days.

It already got more views in 1 day than their trailer of Gemini Man (that stars Will Smith) did in 1 week, so I'm sure they're really happy. And if that's the case then this really reinforces the idea that they don't give a damn about Sonic's design, he was obviously made that way on purpose to get a lot of reactions from people. No such thing as bad publicity, they say.

See all those reaction videos on Youtube? If Sonic didn't look horrible these videos wouldn't exist.

This movie is definitely going to make a lot of money, or at least make back its $90 million budget. I really hope they don't do a sequel, but it seems inevitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

See all those reaction videos on Youtube? If Sonic didn't look horrible these videos wouldn't exist.

Being the first ever real Sonic movie, I'm pretty sure most of them would exist purely for that fact either way. Reaction vidoes are all the craze these days.

10 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I really hope they don't do a sequel, but it seems inevitable.

For me, that Robotnik scene at the end of the trailer already screams setting it up for a sequel...which tells everything we need to know about their motivations. The first ever trailer for the movie and they're already implying a sequel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I mean. Unless the writers decide they do. And it's not hard to imagine reasons why they might want or need to turn off their powers; super strong guy keeps breaking things, super senses guy gets overwhelmed trying to process everything, super healing guy turns into tumor man. Or maybe their powers just burn too much energy passively or something. It's hard to say that a superpower can't do or be something when they're a made up idea and different interpretations serve different kinds of stories.

There are plenty of reasons to turn off super powers, sure (except maybe Tumor Man, have yet to see Wolverine deal with that but I could be wrong) but now you also have just turned off a trial for the super empowered to overcome. You've made life easier instead of challenging the character to come to terms with who or what they are. It's actually one of the very few things I liked in Man of Steel seeing Clark growing up and having to deal with what our sun's radiation did to him and learning to live with it and accept as just part of who he was. It's off hand the only time I can think of someone having to actually deal with the feedback of their superpowers instead of it being ignored or them having an off switch. If you know some stories where the don't actually have it and have to deal with the feedback without developing an off switch please share cause I'd love to see it instead of seeing the daftness of the Beast from the X-Men is suddenly human again because of a being whose presence cancels out genetic code, or you know; their powers.

Just to also throw out a bad example of the off switch of a physical ability though while it's on my mind, say you walk down the street and witness a skunk spray a dog that got to close. That is going to reek, make your eyes water, and possibly even leave you feeling nauseous. It absolutely sucks and you have to make a decision so to deal with the situation before your reaction gets worse. There is a challenge to overcome and any number of approaches that you can take, or you could spontaneously for the situation have the ability to disconnect your sense of smell and stroll on as though nothing happened. It'd be nice to be sure but completely ignores how a human being is wired, undermines any challenge presented by the situation, and narratively defeats the entire purpose of the encounter while demonstrating that their is no reason to worry about the feedback from the ability because you can just turn it off and not be inconvenienced.

I personally find the on/off switch for superpowers just to make life easier on the writers so they can tell their story taking the easy way out and avoiding actually exploring the character and what it means to be them. Now that isn't to say that some abilities aren't designed to be on and off like Spider-Man's ability to stick to most surfaces (though he's based on a spider so there is real world precedent for him to able to not stick to everything), but I unfortunately almost always see the off switch both as an option to the hero so they can either be vulnerable to the mundane for the plot and to make the writer's life easier, or so they can live normally without actually dealing with what they are all while also having that switch be an option for the overly cliched villain turned off the powers plotline. So rarely seeing it actually handled without the off switch as an option is part of why it just gets under my skin so much. Heck, just once I'd love to see a villain with their superpower off switch for the plot use it against somebody who is just naturally that way and thus have no effect. It would be a fairly cathartic moment for me.

14 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I believe the idea is that the kid character, is sonic. The character the children are supposed to identify with is sonic, he will be a wiley rascal trying to help occasionally messing things up and basically be the weird grimlin baby of the cop character.

Boy this eats at me so much. It's not that I don't see it, but rather that it goes so against how I perceived Sonic as a kid. Sonic wasn't one of the gang, he was that cool teenager we all wanted to be like. We weren't supposed to relate with him, we were supposed to be enamored with what he was and wonder how to be like that ourselves.

I know that viewpoint of mine is pretty unpopular but it does unfortunately just make this point so much worse to me.

7 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Also, here is naoto ooshima's thoughts:

 

I feel sorry for Oshima and Naka. They with everyone else involved put so much effort into something that would make them world famous and become globally iconic and now their work has been bastardized but unfortunately not far enough to be beyond all recognition leaving them to see their creation at heart of the most intense backlash it has probably ever seen. 06 is a joke and the butt of any joke provoking Sonic (bar Shadow's game) but Tim Miller's insisted upon realistic take has brought out so much hatred and negativity and that is all aimed at their creation. It's absolutely horrible and just plain sucks.

Speaking of that negativity, I've even been seeing at work where I never see anyone talk about Sonic the Hedgehog of all things and everyone I saw talking about it hated it. And then there is my younger brother who finally just caught a glimpse of the trailer's thumbnail and said that was enough to make him want to vomit. As much as I dislike what I've seen it astounds me how something made for harmless entertainment has brought out so much hate, anger, and just negativity in general. Something went wrong with this movie and that is just the one fact that I feel everyone can agree on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.