Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, StopNitpicking said:

Ok, I made this account JUST to talk about this, because it's hard for me to hold it in anymore.

 

For the past 2 days, I've seen so much negativity about this movie, it just boggles my mind. People are even going  so far as changing the design with Photoshop.

Really guys... REALLY? I'm asking this respectfully... are you all living in the past? Wearing nostalgia goggles? I feel like some people just need to learn to accept change. A lot has been said about this fanbase being unpleasable, and to me, this has never been so obvious as right now.

Let's see what nit-picky stuff people are complaining about... Sonic's mouth... wow, really? The movie sucks because of his MOUTH? What else... "his cheek shape is wrong". WOW, for real, guys? THAT'S why the movie sucks? Oh, and the eyes. Of course, OF COURSE people would HAVE to complain about Sonic's eyes. Oh THAT's rich... never heard THAT one before. How does any of this affect the movie's story? Let's focus on the positive, rather than the negative!

 

Besides, I'm sorry to have to say this, but these are all just OPINIONS. Just because you guys dislike it, doesn't mean everybody has to! We have the right to like things you don't like, you know. Does it make people feel good, taking away something that others like?

Some young people are going to grow up, and to them, this will be THEIR Sonic. Maybe it's not made for you? Can we all just get rid of the nostalgia glasses for one second, and stop acting like the world revolves around us?

Let's break the annoying image of being a group of unpleasable whiny nitpickers. Let's just embrace this in good faith, with positivity, and look towards the future, rather than be stuck in the past!

I, for one, will certainly do so. So... WHO'S WITH ME?

Considering your username, flippant attitude, and intentional distortion of people's arguments in this topic, I had half a mind to ban your account. I don't believe for a goddamned second you're interested in participating in discussion in good faith. But I won't. But I am going to tell you you're going to have a miserable hell of a time convincing anyone that anything you say is worth listening to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really sorry if I offended anyone. What was offensive in my message? I didn't use any swear words...

 

Quote

Sonic does look like the monkey kid from Jumanji.

Well, I do see your point. But remember, that's all opinion.

 

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Despite your username, flippant attitude, and intentional distortion of people's arguments in this topic, I'm not going to outright ban you, but I am going to tell you you're going to have a miserable hell of a time convincing anyone that anything you say is worth considering. 

I'm really, really sorry. I did read the rules but I don't really understand what I said that was wrong. I'll try not to swear so much anymore. Really sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, StopNitpicking said:

I'm really sorry if I offended anyone. What was offensive in my message? I didn't use any swear words...

Your username is stop nitpicking and you accused everyone who had any kind of complaint against the design as just whiny with nostalgia goggles on...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, StopNitpicking said:

Let's break the annoying image of being a group of unpleasable whiny nitpickers. Let's just embrace this in good faith, with positivity, and look towards the future, rather than be stuck in the past!

With all due respect, are you out of your fucking mind?

I get that it can suck seeing something you like torn to shreds, but considering that this franchise has seen the most depressing of lows, I'm frankly not willing to accept that just because it's new and different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

 

Your username is stop nitpicking and you accused everyone who had any kind of complaint against the design as just whiny with nostalgia goggles on... 

 

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as offensive. It's just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, StopNitpicking said:

Ok, I made this account JUST to talk about this, because it's hard for me to hold it in anymore.

 

For the past 2 days, I've seen so much negativity about this movie, it just boggles my mind. People are even going  so far as changing the design with Photoshop.

Really guys... REALLY? I'm asking this respectfully... are you all living in the past? Wearing nostalgia goggles? I feel like some people just need to learn to accept change. A lot has been said about this fanbase being unpleasable, and to me, this has never been so obvious as right now.

Let's see what nit-picky stuff people are complaining about... Sonic's mouth... wow, really? The movie sucks because of his MOUTH? What else... "his cheek shape is wrong". WOW, for real, guys? THAT'S why the movie sucks? Oh, and the eyes. Of course, OF COURSE people would HAVE to complain about Sonic's eyes. Oh THAT's rich... never heard THAT one before. How does any of this affect the movie's story? Let's focus on the positive, rather than the negative!

 

Besides, I'm sorry to have to say this, but these are all just OPINIONS. Just because you guys dislike it, doesn't mean everybody has to! We have the right to like things you don't like, you know. Does it make people feel good, taking away something that others like?

Some young people are going to grow up, and to them, this will be THEIR Sonic. Maybe it's not made for you? Can we all just get rid of the nostalgia glasses for one second, and stop acting like the world revolves around us?

Let's break the annoying image of being a group of unpleasable whiny nitpickers. Let's just embrace this in good faith, with positivity, and look towards the future, rather than be stuck in the past!

I, for one, will certainly do so. So... WHO'S WITH ME?

I'm actually in light support of the movie and I still disagree with this take a bit.

This movie may hope to ignite interest in a new generation of Sonic fans but you've got to be kidding yourself if you think the studio chose the license without considering that Sonic has long been an entertainment icon. What would be the point of this movie otherwise?

I think the movie may turn out okay and thought this before the announcement of a design alteration. The VA choice for Sonic and Carrey-Eggman both seems like decent choices to me and I'm interested in seeing how it turns out. This despite me being a lifelong diehard fan of classic era SEGA and constantly expressing a desire to see Sonic move back to something more consistent and in-line with his origins and foundations within the videogames. I mean, I badly want Sonic to return to being that way but can set aside my feelings for this movie because the movie does not affect the direction of the games whatsoever.

However I can't exactly tell other fans how to feel about it. This fanbase is very divided in general and many come here for completely different reasons. For example, some people primarily are fans because of the character interactions and focus on story (the latter I do not understand much at all because in my opinion Sonic stories have all been pretty middling at best, even in the classic era). Although I don't have the same priorities it is their right as fans to complain about something that is a high priority for them.

 

Now for the rest of you who are simply fans of the actual games like me, you should pipe down and get in line behind me. ;)

(To be sure, it is not only gameplay that I prioritize. I do like the abstract and vibrant art style of the classic era (LOVE the music too, in most of the games throughout Sonic history) and some of the stories and many of the characters I like as well.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DreamSaturn said:

With all due respect, are you out of your fucking mind?

I get that it can suck seeing something you like torn to shreds, but considering that this franchise has seen the most depressing of lows, I'm frankly not willing to accept that just because it's new and different.

I feel like accepting change is a good attitude though. Also, I feel like we should all respect other's opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, StopNitpicking said:

Ok, I made this account JUST to talk about this, because it's hard for me to hold it in anymore.

 

For the past 2 days, I've seen so much negativity about this movie, it just boggles my mind. People are even going  so far as changing the design with Photoshop.

Really guys... REALLY? I'm asking this respectfully... are you all living in the past? Wearing nostalgia goggles? I feel like some people just need to learn to accept change. A lot has been said about this fanbase being unpleasable, and to me, this has never been so obvious as right now.

Let's see what nit-picky stuff people are complaining about... Sonic's mouth... wow, really? The movie sucks because of his MOUTH? What else... "his cheek shape is wrong". WOW, for real, guys? THAT'S why the movie sucks? Oh, and the eyes. Of course, OF COURSE people would HAVE to complain about Sonic's eyes. Oh THAT's rich... never heard THAT one before. How does any of this affect the movie's story? Let's focus on the positive, rather than the negative!

 

Besides, I'm sorry to have to say this, but these are all just OPINIONS. Just because you guys dislike it, doesn't mean everybody has to! We have the right to like things you don't like, you know. Does it make people feel good, taking away something that others like?

Some young people are going to grow up, and to them, this will be THEIR Sonic. Maybe it's not made for you? Can we all just get rid of the nostalgia glasses for one second, and stop acting like the world revolves around us?

Let's break the annoying image of being a group of unpleasable whiny nitpickers. Let's just embrace this in good faith, with positivity, and look towards the future, rather than be stuck in the past!

I, for one, will certainly do so. So... WHO'S WITH ME?

I love Sonic. I really, genuinely do. His cool can-do attitude, his larger than life persona. Nothing will stop him, for he’s got his way; his own way.

And of this forum, I am probably the youngest of all the frequenters.

But this movie, I cannot accept it. Putting aside Sonic’s design, this is a movie run off a cookie cutter template of “insert cartoon character here”, akin to the The Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks. It’s the True Blue Spirit that made me follow Sonic, and I feel none of that here.

I followed Sonic through thick and thin, but it is here that I cannot support it. It is here that there is no True Blue Spirit, or even a Sonic soul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StopNitpicking said:

I feel like accepting change is a good attitude though. Also, I feel like we should all respect other's opinions.

I love Sonic. Most of us here wouldn't be here if we didn't. And it's because we love the series that we don't accept just anything with his face on it because it has his face on it. This franchise can do better, it should do better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, StopNitpicking said:

How does any of this affect the movie's story? Let's focus on the positive, rather than the negative!

You might get a pass due to jumping into the conversation on the back end, but lets not pretend that Sonic's design is the thing that is soley sinking this movie. Its a sticking point for sure. Its the first and biggest sticking point to that end, but there has been a lot of discourse in here about the films other issues. About Eggman not acting like Eggman. About problems with the theme the script seems to be following, about the blatant disreguard for the series staples and lore.

It not like we are tanking the film just because Sonic looks different. Thats not helping things, but its not the only problem here. 

4 minutes ago, StopNitpicking said:

I'm really, really sorry. I did read the rules but I don't really understand what I said that was wrong. I'll try not to swear so much anymore. Really sorry.

Its not swearing that gets you in trouble, its how you present your message. The main thing to keep in mind is to stay respectful and avoid confrontational tones where it is unnecessarily - particularly on a toxic subject. Just take it down a knotch and you'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

You might get a pass due to jumping into the conversation on the back end, but lets not pretend that Sonic's design is the thing that is soley sinking this movie. Its a sticking point for sure. Its the first and biggest sticking point to that end, but there has been a lot of discourse in here about the films other issues. About Eggman not acting like Eggman. About problems with the theme the script seems to be following, about the blatant disreguard for the series staples and lore.

It not like we are tanking the film just because Sonic looks different. Thats not helping things, but its not the only problem here. 

Its not swearing that gets you in trouble, its how you present your message. The main thing to keep in mind is to stay respectful and avoid confrontational tones where it is unnecessarily - particularly on a toxic subject. Just take it down a knotch and you'll be fine.

Ah, I see. So if my message said "Let's all be positive!", it's no good. But something like "Are you out of your fucking mind", no problem.

Gotcha, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, StopNitpicking said:

Ok, I made this account JUST to talk about this, because it's hard for me to hold it in anymore.

 

For the past 2 days, I've seen so much negativity about this movie, it just boggles my mind. People are even going  so far as changing the design with Photoshop.

Really guys... REALLY? I'm asking this respectfully... are you all living in the past? Wearing nostalgia goggles? I feel like some people just need to learn to accept change. A lot has been said about this fanbase being unpleasable, and to me, this has never been so obvious as right now.

Let's see what nit-picky stuff people are complaining about... Sonic's mouth... wow, really? The movie sucks because of his MOUTH? What else... "his cheek shape is wrong". WOW, for real, guys? THAT'S why the movie sucks? Oh, and the eyes. Of course, OF COURSE people would HAVE to complain about Sonic's eyes. Oh THAT's rich... never heard THAT one before. How does any of this affect the movie's story? Let's focus on the positive, rather than the negative!

 

Besides, I'm sorry to have to say this, but these are all just OPINIONS. Just because you guys dislike it, doesn't mean everybody has to! We have the right to like things you don't like, you know. Does it make people feel good, taking away something that others like?

Some young people are going to grow up, and to them, this will be THEIR Sonic. Maybe it's not made for you? Can we all just get rid of the nostalgia glasses for one second, and stop acting like the world revolves around us?

Let's break the annoying image of being a group of unpleasable whiny nitpickers. Let's just embrace this in good faith, with positivity, and look towards the future, rather than be stuck in the past!

I, for one, will certainly do so. So... WHO'S WITH ME?

Okay so here is my take on this:

Sonics look in the games is iconic pure and simple and while his character model has evolved the same basic intent is still there.

I can look at these two entirely different versions of Sonic and still recognize him:

 

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_1_Genesis_box_art.jpg

 

Sonic_Adventure.PNG

 

Now yes designs evolve and can be altered but there is no way in hell you are going to call this thing sonic and get away with it.

No chance in hell mate

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StopNitpicking said:

I feel like accepting change is a good attitude though. Also, I feel like we should all respect other's opinions.

I should probably remind you that this is a two way street you're talking about here. You entered this thread to talk trash about other people's opinions and then had the nerve to demand others respect yours when you were inevitably challenged. Don't do that. Either debate with reason and good faith or get out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Now yes designs evolve and can be altered but there is no way in hell you are going to call this thing sonic and get away with it.

But he's still blue, still has red shoes, still runs fast... I just don't see the problem. That's just my opinion though, I respect yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're a little late to the party there.

To be honest, I think I'm coming to the conclusion that Sonic isn't for me anymore. In my opinion I think its time I packed my bags and said goodbye to Sonic, because its just not for me anymore. I'm too old to just let things happen now. I've outgrown it. Its over for me. Its best if I just stopped caring about it all.

To those of you who continue to love the blue blur and want to see the best from him. Good on you. I wish I could remain in that camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StopNitpicking said:

Also, I feel like we should all respect other's opinions.

So in the two days that you were sat there filling with rage... 

How many times did you feel your opinion was being persecuted because someone else didn't agree with you instead of saying your opinion was wrong?

Because so far all I'm getting is "We should all embrace change!" 

No we shouldn't.

If something looks like trash, it should be thrown out due to X Y and Z.

You just mindlessly agree to change because it's different. It needs to show some kind of merit or distinction at building on what's different.

And with regards to this design.

It completely sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StopNitpicking said:

Ah, I see. So if my message said "Let's all be positive!", it's no good. But something like "Are you out of your fucking mind", no problem.

Gotcha, thanks

What makes me question if you are is how you have the audacity to come in here, insult us, insinuate that we're all just nitpicking and the design is our only problem with it, but in the same breath demand we accept it and your opinions. That's what's bothering people here. There are a few defenders and fans of the movie here. That's not the issue. How you present yourself, conversely, is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

To be honest, I think I'm coming to the conclusion that Sonic isn't for me anymore. In my opinion I think its time I packed my bags and said goodbye to Sonic, because its just not for me anymore.

Come on bro! Let's at least give it a chance, no? After all, we've only seen a trailer. Why should we just a movie by the trailer! I beg you! Please at least give it a chance? You never know, it may be the best VG movie ever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StopNitpicking said:

Ah, I see. So if my message said "Let's all be positive!", it's no good. But something like "Are you out of your fucking mind", no problem.

Gotcha, thanks

Being condescending like that doesn't help either - and even you have to admit you brought that upon yourself bro.

Just start clean. Be positive if you want, but positive or negative you can't use that as a blanket shield to shut down the opposition. Most of the people on here have laid out quite a bit about why we are negative. I'll respect you're reasons for being positive - but if you're sole defense is "stop living in the past:" then its impossible to take you seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They really missed out by not having any other characters in the movie besides Sonic. The friendship thing could have been between Sonic and Tails. Maybe they arrive on Earth not friends (an accident both were caught in), Tails is annoying to Sonic and the former just wants to win Sonic's approval. And then we get a great arc of them bonding over the course of the movie. Sonic realizing the value of friendship in Tails and learning how to not be a douche bag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StopNitpicking said:

Come on bro! Let's at least give it a chance, no? After all, we've only seen a trailer. Why should we just a movie by the trailer! I beg you! Please at least give it a chance? You never know, it may be the best VG movie ever!

Let's not play the game of "keep moving the goalpost", okay?

"We haven't seen the FULL design!"

"It could look better in motion!"

"it's just one trailer!"

"Wait until the full movie comes out!"

At what point does it become acceptable to just throw in the towel and admit something sucks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.