Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

To those who were talking so much about downvotes and dislikes, I'd just like to say thank you.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:51 AM, PeterPancake said:

Should have went with this

The top right looks like something out of Sonic Super Special.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:30 PM, BaronGrackle said:

So I was thinking about Gangsta's Paradise, and I realized something.This movie should have been a 1990s period piece. IF THEY WANTED the film's tone to be set by Sonic pressing play on a boombox and starting a song from 1995, then this film should have happened then.

It would've been like watching the X-Men prequels (60s, 70s, then 80s), or Captain Marvel (90s), or even Guardians of the Galaxy (80s soundtrack, in-universe).

The bullying military would have fit. The "origins" nature of showing pre-Eggman and early Sonic (and the word Genesis) would have fit. We would be watching for MTV or a Toys R Us in the background. Sonic could have thrown out a Super Nintendo as a joke. The very end could've played It Doesn't Matter or Open Your Heart.

But, since this ISN'T a 90s period piece... then Gangsta's Paradise on a boombox was likely a bad choice.

And the opportunity gets bigger. 

On 5/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, ShadowSJG said:

Urgh, why the f*ck does tom even exist? Why not just a Sonic movie!

Also, here is naoto ooshima's thoughts:

Why is it live action?

On 5/2/2019 at 3:37 PM, TheOcelot said:

I feel so sorry for Ohshima-san. A Sonic design for a movie should never make the original creator feel like this:

I apologize if this verges on ignorant territory, but what kind of haiku is that second sentence?

On 5/2/2019 at 4:57 PM, MadmanRB said:

Eh Carrey can be a good actor, my second favourite movie is the Truman show where he gives a great performance.

Wait, that's a movie?

On 5/2/2019 at 5:46 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Not the first time that they listen.:

Oh, well would you look at that.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, Pawn said:

Adapting Ash and chums or a more traditional Pokemon story in general might have been a challenge, but they didn't need to, since Detective Pikachu had come along and given them a solid narrative to work with. Sonic was never going to get the same treatment. Very few IPs would.

This right here is another, very important point and it is a good one.

Smart. :smile:

On 5/2/2019 at 6:10 PM, Eurisko said:

Jeff Fowler has confirmed they are changing the design of Sonic , at least they have listened. I’m guessing this is why Aaron missed the livestream 

794665E0-D183-419C-ABB4-DA81710E5547.png

Yeah, I saw that yesterday.

Hey, if some many things about the plot ended up being true, why can't the notion of them editting the design?

On 5/2/2019 at 6:13 PM, Fire-N-Space said:

They should call this movie Eggman the Human he's funnier and better looking then Sonic.    

Isn't at least one of those things often the case half the time?

On 5/2/2019 at 6:23 PM, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

The design looked weird to me for sure but I'm struggling to see how they can improve it to meet fan demand in this short of time. Theyve already marketed the movie and character in this way, they cant just swap in a fuzzy modern sonic model now. I dont know how much fixing Sonic's eyes and legs are going to make a difference for people that are already this appalled by it.

Yeah, that's generally a huddle they'd inevitably have to oil up to jump through.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:25 PM, Sonic Warrior said:

I love Jeff's answer to criticism and this is how professionals should act. I'm glad he's not Josh trank, lol.

That being said, it seems he has had feedback for a long time. So, I'm sure this first trailer is showing a old version / draft. The next trailer might show a better design and everyone will say he fixed it after this trailer. Nope, he probably fixed way before the first trailer. 

One would hope. For everyone's sake.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:18 PM, Razule said:

How could this design have gone so far without test audiences saying something.. or maybe they did, and it was actually varying levels of worse before?

On 5/2/2019 at 8:23 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

This bullshit comes out in November. If the animators are forced to crunch their time on re-working his design before it comes out then they're all going to age 50 years in the span of a few months.

And he might even look worse. We see him again, he'll be melting.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:26 PM, Sean said:

If only this were Japan. One surefire way of getting the animators to redesign Sonic in time would be to indict whoever did the mocap for him on cocaine charges.

...Is that a reference to something?

On 5/2/2019 at 8:39 PM, Miragnarok said:

Maybe the design fix really is just PR? Ya know like how Ian Flynn had a #KnowingSmile for Forces when it was wholly Japanese-penned. 

To be fair, he did have a go at beta-Colors and at least saw different scripts for Unleashed.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:49 PM, Myst said:

He did the tie-in comic for the game, so he wasn't lying.

That too.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:40 PM, Jango said:

You know...

They could fix it by... cancelling the movie.

👀

Okay, I was actually in the process of wondering about this: what would happen if SEGA were to considering pulling the license?

On 5/2/2019 at 8:58 PM, Mayor D said:

Oooh-hohoho-nooo...! :joy:

Thats about on part with something like that ET bootleg Cinema Snob reviewed.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:15 PM, Polkadi~♪ said:

It can NOT be a coincidence that the “Sponsored products RELATED to this item” section shows primarily scary horror masks.

And real talk, that’s even MORE horrifying than the movie design.

Even Amazon doesn't have any problem with restraint.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:49 PM, PeterPancake said:

So what are they gonna do about merchandising having a different design if it's changed?

Nothing.

There's a number of things out there that aren't quite what their merchandise and promotional materials depict.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:26 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Probably accurate of what is happening right now.:

No joke, I thought about this a couple days ago.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:22 PM, DreamSaturn said:

What really boggles my mind is how Sega is super strict with Sonic on all other media, especially the comics: Sonic can't cry, Sonic can't lose, we can't see anyone's family, no romantic relationships whatsoever,  all that shit. So the million dollar question is, where the hell where they for this movie? Did the contracts demand they just fuck off?

I'm curious about that as well.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:27 PM, tailsBOOM! said:

From what I understand, once you sign off the rights like this, you don't get much say.  That's the reason why (Not using this example for the normal reason it is) that Marvel had little say on the Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic 4 movies. It's unfortunate, and you can see some sense of distaste in his creators and SEGA bigwigs. 

Oh really? That makes a surprising amount of sense.

53 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Okay, I was actually in the process of wondering about this: what would happen if SEGA were to considering pulling the license?

They can't, contract.

53 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Honestly none of the fan edits look much better except the ones that just straight up use the game design.

Yeah, cyclops Sonic with mostly the same appearance would probably look even worse.

37 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Found an good example of an design change. The left is the original one, and the other one is the final one. Notice the differences between the King Kong's faces seen on both posters.:

iuI7mpe.jpg

To be fair, aside from being a really, really big ape, King Kong's design isn't that important. If he's just a big ass ape, well... there you go. Good design. Him having a tooth sticking out isn't really that noteworthy. You'd have to try to screw that up.

Sonic is a different case, there's a lot of things noteworthy about his design, ranging from his color scheme to his shoes. There's a lot less freedom to go with than King Kong -- this isn't to say King Kong isn't iconic by any stretch, he is. Definitely. But his design isn't as important as the novelty of him.

Certainly, in both cases, there's a boundaries. King Kong wearing clothing wouldn't go well. King Kong being purple wouldn't either.

I suppose you can say there's an argument to be made about minimalist changes working well -- and I'd ultimately agree. Green eyes and blue arms are examples of this. Sure, there's this weird shitstorm that starts off, but they faded out. Besides Buffles, who really cares anymore?

Well guys Canadian Guy Eh in about the last 15-minutes or so of CGE's livestream tonight. He gave a more detailed insight about the amount of crunch time that would happen for this film to match the release date. So I'm hoping it does get delayed by a few months, just to avoid crunch time alone that the animators would go through because the design was the way it was.

Apparently, the Detective Pikachu movie's Director of Photography was offered a job for the Sonic movie, which he probably turn down the job. He was glad that Pikachu doesn't look like Sonic. Can't blame him for that.

9 hours ago, Myst said:

I think the movie will end in San Fransisco. Sonic will get his ring back, and while fighting Robotnik, warp himself to several different locations. (The desert, france, while he warps Marsden & Sumpter to a farm somewhere) It will be a crazy scene with Sonic warping across the world in seconds.

I'm in agreement with this, and that's actually what the Eiffel Tower poster is directly implying, since it's seen through a warp ring in the poster in question.  I imagine the grand finale of the film will be a warpfest as much as a speedfest.

This gets me wondering about something.  Why on Earth, in the trailer, does Sonic think he needs to save the world?  Maybe Robotnik gets his hands on the warp ring, and Sonic fears its power in the wrong hands?  I'm also going to propose that Sonic's super-speed feats are actually in part to power up the warp ring - giving him a motivation from the start of the film, and explaining why he didn't just warp back to his home planet before.

...Thinking about it, warping kind of defeats the point of super-speed.

Just now, CaptainRobo said:

Apparently, the Detective Pikachu movie's Director of Photography was offered a job for the Sonic movie, which he probably turn down the job. He was glad that Pikachu doesn't look like Sonic. Can't blame him for that.

Sonic's fast..but not fast enough to dodge burns like that.

(Hell, he can't even dodge a tranquillizer dart..)

1 hour ago, Alexios31 said:

If changed to Sonic's design are significant then there is no way the movie will be released this year. 

If the changes are significant, then yes, most definitely it will be delayed. But I think Paramount wants to keep that November slot, as Paramount wants kids to be asking their parents for Sonic movie toys and other merch for the Christmas season. The movie will likely get a marketing blitz on Nickelodeon.

I'm concerned the staff might spend too much time reworking Sonic and other effects will end up looking bad because of it. This is going to be an effects-heavy movie, especially during the climax of the film, and I want all of the robots, explosions, and other visual effects to look their best. 

To be frank, I think their first mistake was using mocap for Sonic. It's obviously the root cause of nearly all of the design problems here. They used the mocap WAY too heavily as a crutch.

1 minute ago, Mega said:

To be frank, I think their first mistake was using mocap for Sonic. It's obviously the root cause of nearly all of the design problems here. They used the mocap WAY too heavily as a crutch.

Well, most movies like this don't use keyframe animation anymore. Mocap has taken the industry by storm

What about studios like Pixar and Dreamworks? I'm p. sure those don't rely on mocap.

At the very least, Paramount should've stylized more instead of trying to keep Sonic as creepily human as possible.

1 minute ago, Mega said:

What about studios like Pixar and Dreamworks? I'm p. sure those don't rely on mocap.

At the very least, Paramount should've stylized more instead of trying to keep Sonic as creepily human as possible.

Not sure about animated features but I know every major live action studio film uses motion capture for humanoid characters.

The face being the way it is so Schwartz could perform as Sonic

But that's the problem. Sonic is a very cartoony, stylized character. His proportions, his face, everything is distinctly different. And while I get that they were trying to go for a "realistic" approach, the end result looks like a tiny human in a costume.

And maybe they shouldn't have kept the face that way? They could still use his voice, but it's obvious the mo-cap face being left so close to a human structure did NOT end well.

Hell, I'm pretty sure detective pikachu used some mocap, and his face looks infinitely more stylized and likable.

I think they could have definitely went for something more stylized/carcaturized if they really wanted to (see my avatar). Reynolds does do mocap for Pikachu. But Miller was dead set on realism, he specifically didn't want him looking like a Pixar character... And well, now he has to pay the consequences.