Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

51 minutes ago, Tornado said:

I'm not giving Sterling views, but can I assume he is staying consistent with his past views on the subjects of character design changes for new audiences; calling everyone who took issue with the movie entitled whiners and insulting anyone who came up with design improvements?

He says the Sonic movie design was disgusting nightmare fuel and is yet another example of Hollywood type movie makers being out of touch and self-adsorbed fools. Going on to say that changing these kinds of old popular franchises in every possible way they can shows a complete lack of understanding of why these franchises were popular in the first place. Lastly was him saying that he is halfway disappointed the movie team are changing the design now because it was going to be a bad movie either-way to him, but at least a awful gross Sonic design gave the movie something interesting... but the idea of a new slightly better design will likely just result in the movie being both bad and boring now in his opinion.

I love the whole thing about how Hollywood was embarrassed to keep to the early designs of the X-Men and shoved them all into black leather because "yellow spandex" for Wolverine would be too unrealistic and cartoonish. Cut to now where superheroes are dominating the market and lavishing in their colorful, goofy looking glory. Fucking Mysterio and his magnificent fish-bowl head is in a Spider-Man movie now.

I love the way Jim talks. I'm jealous of that talent. Just being able to find new and creative ways to insult shit must take a lot of effort. 

54 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

He basically says that Hollywood are a bunch of medalling idiots who think they know best.

Well, when this movie does come out, it'll probably be the kinda thing you want to watch while having a lot of alcohol in your system. You know, hilariously bad.

What I'm going to do, anyway. Drink a lot, watch it with my fiance and my sister and her husband. Should be more enjoyable.

2 hours ago, Shiroi said:

Seems there’ll be no Crush 40 music in this movie and the duo isn’t happy about it.

Can’t say I’m surprised but this decision is still baffling.

Hell, they didn't even use any song from any of the games, or at least a new remix/rendition of one in the trailer, so nothing really shocking about this.

I'd be surprised if using an actual game song ever came up during development, seeing how they shat on literally every aspect of the source material. So I don't see why the music aspect would have gotten a different treatment.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

One, why are you opposed to giving sterling views

I would have thought, since you quoted my post, that you had read it. The context I provided seemed pretty straightforward, though I can understand it may be confusing to people who have only been paying attention to him since he became a Serious Journalist Talking About Important Things.

6 minutes ago, Tornado said:

I would have thought, since you quoted my post, that you had read it. The context I provided seemed pretty straightforward, though I can understand it may be confusing to people who have only been paying attention to him since he became a Serious Journalist Talking About Important Things.

I read that, I would like the context for why you think that. If you don't feel like answering, that's also fine.

Before he started doing profound video essays about how Racism In Games Is Bad to the extent that he became respectable enough that people dump his videos in message board posts to make their points for them, Sterling cut his teeth doing exactly what I outlined.

Sterling trying to make a point about creative bankruptcy in the Hollywood design process rings more than a little hollow in the context of his months long, public-humiliation-of-Deviant-Art-users tirades against people who hated the OW THE EDGE creatively bankrupt Donte, or the similar ones against people who pointed out how creatively bankrupt Sonic 4 looked from day 1. It instead sounds from what others have said (because, again, I'm not watching a video that was posted in this thread with nothing more to its contents than an "I agree with Jim" tacked on the end) more like he's not alright with it this time because he didn't like it either.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

Before he started doing profound video essays about how Racism In Games Is Bad to the extent that he became respectable enough that people dump his videos in message board posts to make their points for them, Sterling cut his teeth doing exactly what I outlined.

Sterling trying to make a point about creative bankruptcy in the Hollywood design process rings more than a little hollow in the context of his months long, public-humiliation-of-Deviant-Art-users tirades against people who hated the OW THE EDGE creatively bankrupt Donte, or the similar ones against people who pointed out how creatively bankrupt Sonic 4 looked from day 1. It instead sounds from what others have said (because, again, I'm not watching a video that was posted in this thread with nothing more to its contents than an "I agree with Jim" tacked on the end) more like he's not alright with it this time because he didn't like it either.

Well, I don't know about all that personally. I watch all his stuff and listen to all his podcasts and he's been fairly consistent and agreeable to me. Maybe it's just a thing of the past. Either that or we're looking at it in an extremely different way.

I found an extremely old article of his where he said some harsh stuff about the Sonic series that contradicts the more moderate and calmer approach to the series he has today and I've largely attributed it to just his mind changing over time. 

Then again, I can't help what other people think. 

Back on topic though, one of the weird things about this whole movie and other Hollywood films that he brings up is how the Hollywood arrogance sees them nabbing a license for a property and doing things that go against what that license entails. But as he stated, Hollywood thinking they know how to better sell Sonic to a general audience than the people who've been making bank on Sonic for over 20 years makes no sense and it stands to reason that if you have that character in your possession, it would normally be because that character in its current form has value.

Obviously some changes would need to be made for the sake of making it a movie but it's truly baffling how this is a consistent thing with Hollywood video game adaptations when history has shown that doing stuff like this leads to the exact thing you don't want. I truly am baffled by this mentality. I understand that they're arrogant but does arrogance translate to doing something so consistently wrong for years and years on end without realizing that it's not working? I'd have no choice but to chalk that up to sheer stupidity at that point. Or ignorance. It has to be one or the other because there's no way the money munching mongrels of Hollywood aren't looking at this video game movie trend and realizing that what they're doing isn't getting them good money or any sort of positive critical acclaim. 

• Thumbs Up 6

To be fair to Jim he has acknowledge that he was a bit of an ass back in the day and acknowledged he did some pretty shit immature journalism and used it as a growing experience. Was watching his tomodachi life videos from a few years back, and he made that point pretty clear. So I certainly realize the guy he was, but he certainly has grown over it 

Translation: Good. I have friends working on the rework of #SonicLeFilm and apparently this is the big cat ... in the sense that they will have to start all over again, starting with the modeling of the character until the animation . The graphic designers want to burst...

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It feels a bit weird that the backlash to the Sonic movie is now within the mainstream instead of confined to this thread. It's like the gates blew off their hinges and the ghosts of misfortune were set free to terrify people on mass instead of just us poor heathens stuck within the confines of Sonic Silent Hill. 

Once I see my sister and my friends talk about it, I know it's blown way outside of our narrow view. Everyone knows.

At the very least, it's proof that Sonic is still very well-known in the mainstream. The backlash would have been much smaller if this wasn't the case. And if Sonic is already so ridiculously well-known, why fix what isn't broken? Tsk tsk, Hollywood.

6 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Translation: Good. I have friends working on the rework of #SonicLeFilm and apparently this is the big cat ... in the sense that they will have to start all over again, starting with the modeling of the character until the animation . The graphic designers want to burst...

Figures. The executives make a mistake, and now the animators, the artists, and the designers all have to pay the price. I hope this film gets a delay (maybe one month or two, hopefully three) just so they can be spared the pain of crunch time. Goodness me... A nightmare from start to finish.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Figures. The executives make a mistake, and now the animators, the artists, and the designers all have to pay the price. I hope this film gets a delay (maybe one month or two, hopefully three) just so they can be spared the pain of crunch time. Goodness me... A nightmare from start to finish.

Best part is a delay would impact their marketing strategy, forcing them to spend even more money on top of the cost of the redesign.

This thing is going to bomb regardless, all they're really accomplishing is inflating their returns ratio. They should just put the thing out and hope they make something back on simps seeing this ironically.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Once I see my sister and my friends talk about it, I know it's blown way outside of our narrow view. Everyone knows.

At the very least, it's proof that Sonic is still very well-known in the mainstream. The backlash would have been much smaller if this wasn't the case. And if Sonic is already so ridiculously well-known, why fix what isn't broken? Tsk tsk, Hollywood.

Oh, same for my sister too. As well as the people at my job. Like, it's insane. Hollywood really fucked this one up. 

Reading this though... it HAS to be delayed right? How are they reasonably supposed to change the model and the animations of an entire theatrical feature in just six months? I can't wrap my brain around that. The mere thought of trying to accomplish that makes me feel sick. 

It's too late. They did this really horrible, obviously dumb thing and now they're paying for it.

It wouldn't be so infuriating if it wasn't so obviously the literal wrong thing to do. Even out of touch executives should know that you don't take an iconic image that's made bank for over 20+ years and risk it not looking like that iconic image that's made bank for over 20+ years for no good reason. 

Why would you voluntarily impose that risk upon yourselves?

I don't understand. 

Somebody, please, help me understand. 

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Reading this though... it HAS to be delayed right? How are they reasonably supposed to change the model and the animations of an entire theatrical feature in just six months? I can't wrap my brain around that.

By shipping this off to NetherRealm. BOOM, GOTTEM!

Seriously they're going to be put on the crunch from hell, assuming that tweet is accurate and they're doing a full redesign. I feel bad for them, because I find it hard to believe many of the animators thought this was a good direction to go in. Now they'll have to pay the most because people higher up insisted on making Sonic's design what it is.

What’s even better here is it really does show paramounts blatant corporate cynicism and how quick they are to throw their “creative vision” and hard work they were touting about for awhile out the window to squabble a design change up last second because it was making meme headlines. And as said, this not only ups the costs for multiple reasons, but potentially puts those underneath at incredible stress levels if they don’t delay. It feels like a ultimate waste of resources, and just shows how flimsy and devoid of creative integrity the higher ups ultimately are here.(not that they had much in the way of any to start with given this does overall just feel like focus tested generic material they assumed would garner a decent response.)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It feels a bit weird that the backlash to the Sonic movie is now within the mainstream instead of confined to this thread. It's like the gates blew off their hinges and the ghosts of misfortune were set free to terrify people on mass instead of just us poor heathens stuck within the confines of Sonic Silent Hill. 

I think this was always a foregone conclusion, especially with all the talk in this thread about general audiences, or whatever, a lot of people considered this hitting the mainstream as a foregone conclusion, because for all the talk of adult nostalgic, and what have you - that just meant there would be a massive mainstream backlash because people know what Sonic should look like, and will actively be pissed/frustrated/confused at why Hollywood mistakenly believed they knew better. 

It was never a case of only Sonic fans hating this design because they dislike change, it was always a case of the design from the earliest days showing signs of being awful on a conceptual level to a majority of people, and it was only a matter of time til the trailer released worldwide and spread like wildfire to prove that this design isn't anywhere as appealing as the one that lasted 30 years.

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Seesh, yeah. I'm a graphic designer myself, I know the pain. Remember that style guide? Forget about it. The graphic designers will have to re-do everything and replace all the arts. This sucks a lot. And that assuming it's just Sonic that's going to change...

Lots of overtimes are going to happen...

I don't know how they can get this done in 6 months. It's already an mess. The merchandise are starting to come out. BTW, you will also buy the Puma shoes that Sonic is wearing. It will be called Speed 500.:

Spoiler

81Mf2lV9zkL._UY606_.jpgPuma-Sneakers-Red-Worn-by-Sonic-in-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-2.jpg

Unless, if they have prepare another model months ago in case of the backlash, I can't see this working well. The best way for this is to delay it, just to give them more time, which I highly doubt it. 

I wonder if it'd even help them that much in the long run, because the only interest people seem to have in this thing is that the main character looks like a hideous freak monster. Lose that and you lose your ironic audience, and I don't think that leaves a whole lot left.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I think this was always a foregone conclusion, especially with all the talk in this thread about general audiences, or whatever, a lot of people considered this hitting the mainstream as a foregone conclusion, because for all the talk of adult nostalgic, and what have you - that just meant there would be a massive mainstream backlash because people know what Sonic should look like, and will actively be pissed/frustrated/confused at why Hollywood mistakenly believed they knew better. 

It was never a case of only Sonic fans hating this design because they dislike change, it was always a case of the design from the earliest days showing signs of being awful on a conceptual level to a majority of people, and it was only a matter of time til the trailer released worldwide and spread like wildfire to prove that this design isn't anywhere as appealing as the one that lasted 30 years.

Oh that's not what I meant. Obviously, that was a foregone conclusion. The instant I heard it was going to be live-action years and years back I knew this wasn't going to turn out well. I'm just saying that it's weird to have it finally out there. For a while this movie was just a ghost, hidden within the cracks of our small community. Now it's out there, raging like a beast. Stomping through the mainstream like Godzilla on a bad day.

I am a bit surprised that the mainstream cared THIS much about it though. I knew it would be hated and all that but the fact that it reached and pissed off so many people did kind of catch me off guard. Even I underestimated just how much Sonic was still loved and recognized on that front. 

• Too Many Rings 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I am a bit surprised that the mainstream cared THIS much about it though. I knew it would be hated and all that but the fact that it reached and pissed off so many people did kind of catch me off guard. Even I underestimated just how much Sonic was still loved and recognized on that front. 

That's the ironic bit, in their desperate attempt to nostalgia-grab the 90s crowd, they hit that exact crowd who know who Sonic looks like, and know this still looks awfully wrong. It's one of the most disastrous uses of nostalgia I've seen in a movie to date.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1