Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

On 5/6/2019 at 11:53 AM, TheOcelot said:

Well said, Jim

@11:39 Yeesh, no wonder Coolio is a One Hit Wonder. No sane person keeps that hideous dreaded pigtails for that long.

Something I was thinking is how there is something about this movie trying to be an origin story for Sonic that feels like how back in the 90's SoA was trying to one-up their Japanese counterpart.

Likewise, there is the different approach of how the side that laughs in yen did something that pretty much nailed what Sonic is about in the late 90's. Meanwhile, many, many years later and a much bigger budge, the murican side did something so painfully generic that it feels like it's Sonic in name only as it mostly a bunch of misplaced and questionable decisions, all of which are embodied by Sonic's very design in the film.

Guess the only good apearances in the silver screen for Sonic and Eggman will be the Wreck-it Ralph movies.

I can only guess what made the producers from Paramount, as well as Sega, think that this whole thing was a good idea? Why couldn't they do an intelligent choice for once and make it animated instead of live/action (they have Marza for the CGI route, or Tyson Hesse for something  give the OVA an honest run for it's money)

Honestly, it just perplexes me how they pretend to bring new fans with such a mediocre film that feels like those cheesy direct to video films.

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Who wouldn't want to dress up as LitterallyADudeInABlackCoatMan.

Most compelling character since CaptainHatMustache The Animal. 

Also, again, there’s at least no Classic Sonic, Wisps, or Zavok.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, SBR2 said:

I mean it's not like a ton of other properties don't also do this. 

There's like at least six completely different Transformers continuities, to say nothing of how drastically different some Comic book movies and shows can be from the Comics that inspired them or hell just look at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 

The difference is that most of those continuities exist to either reboot an ongoing line or to allow different creative teams to use the license as they see fit.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:58 PM, StaticMania said:

What works for somethings doesn't work for others...or even just the same way.

This is true.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:50 PM, Razule said:

They can't, contract.

Well shoot. Guess they're Theodore Rex'in it up.

On 5/3/2019 at 8:36 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Found an good example of an design change. The left is the original one, and the other one is the final one. Notice the differences between the King Kong's faces seen on both posters.:

iuI7mpe.jpg

Huh. Guess they didn't wanna steal Charlie Anna's look.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:13 PM, WittyUsername said:

Certainly, in both cases, there's a boundaries. King Kong wearing clothing wouldn't go well. King Kong being purple wouldn't either.

Who wouldn't go see a Grape Ape movie?

On 5/4/2019 at 1:14 AM, CaptainRobo said:

The costume seem to be based on this.:

D5sMeVtV4AEtzxw.jpg

Makes sense. That's apparently how a number of merchandising tie-ins end up going down.

On 5/4/2019 at 1:49 AM, CaptainRobo said:

Apparently, the Detective Pikachu movie's Director of Photography was offered a job for the Sonic movie, which he probably turn down the job. He was glad that Pikachu doesn't look like Sonic. Can't blame him for that.

I'm noticing a trend here.

On 5/4/2019 at 4:05 AM, KHCast said:

I'm with Jim on this tbh. It just seems a bit much to give paramount that much credit when considering the factors like the posters and such.

Contiguency plans are a thing.

On 5/4/2019 at 4:20 AM, FFWF said:

I'm in agreement with this, and that's actually what the Eiffel Tower poster is directly implying, since it's seen through a warp ring in the poster in question.  I imagine the grand finale of the film will be a warpfest as much as a speedfest.

This gets me wondering about something.  Why on Earth, in the trailer, does Sonic think he needs to save the world?  Maybe Robotnik gets his hands on the warp ring, and Sonic fears its power in the wrong hands?  I'm also going to propose that Sonic's super-speed feats are actually in part to power up the warp ring - giving him a motivation from the start of the film, and explaining why he didn't just warp back to his home planet before.

...Thinking about it, warping kind of defeats the point of super-speed.

That could actually be a pretty cool plot.

On 5/4/2019 at 10:03 AM, Mega said:

To be frank, I think their first mistake was using mocap for Sonic. It's obviously the root cause of nearly all of the design problems here. They used the mocap WAY too heavily as a crutch.

Almost.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:28 PM, Indigo Rush said:

Let's try a different take:

Woman: "Do you have your child in that bag?"

Tom: "Oh, no... it's not my child."

Woman: "Oh, I see."

*she immediately, inconspicuously pulls out her phone to call the local police, and Tom's phone rings (y'know, since he's a cop?)*

Wow, that's actually pretty funny!

On 5/4/2019 at 12:53 PM, Meta77 said:

Actually give me a movie based on this. Give everyone nightmares for years like i lived through. You think sonic is scary. pfft that monkey

Oh my goodness, wth is this? 🙀

On 5/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, Razule said:

Maybe it's to add realism. Sonic's a teenager after all, so of course he'd have a patchy mustache. That's what's been missing from Sonic's design. A puberty stache.

Oh an already furry face?

On 5/4/2019 at 5:23 PM, Myst said:

For example, 25 years and two reboots later, and we still haven't had a proper Mr. Freeze in a Batman film, thanks to Arnold's butchering of the character in 1997. 

To be a little fair there, Mr. Freeze isn't exactly the most pliable villain.

On 5/4/2019 at 5:42 PM, Meta77 said:

All the negative to the sonic movie reminds me of TTG Movie. And how when it was first announced older fans were flipping in their chair wishing the show would die off and how it would flop. The movie came out and did much better than anyone thought myself included. I see sonic doing the same most likely. But I guarantee they set up the ending as a cliffhanger for a sequel.

Didn't it also end up being pretty good?

On 5/4/2019 at 6:00 PM, Meta77 said:

Same for the Bane movie brining in catwomen and showing that people can be turned if given the means. 

Why would you make a Bane movie, nevermind one that introduces Catwoman?

On 5/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, DreamSaturn said:

It still boggles the mind how they've known that people hate the design so much for months now and only now decide that something must be done. I guess the problem got so bad they couldn't just ignore it anymore? I can't see how they couldn't have known until the trailer dropped.

tumblr_inline_ngcsf6UBZG1r8z4qq.gif

Make enough noise and even sound sleepers will throw out their shoe.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:48 PM, PeterPancake said:

I mean, there are Nike shoes that resemble the classic Michael Jackson/Buckle shoes that Sonic usually has and they considered an agreement with Nike early on

2_of_3_my_future_shoes_by_hafu_inuyasha-d4kesuk.thumb.jpg.a81ee14842cebbaf3a961fc97203d1eb.jpgThey could have went with custom Nike shoes like those. Even Puma

ay6kxipa5gy01.thumb.jpg.c7f475a133be6b00fcefda6b08249947.jpg

Changing the color of the arms will be pretty easy considering they don't have to alter the rig. But they should add gloves. If they don't want the cartoon gloves, they could just give him custom Puma pro gloves i.e

041236_02.thumb.jpg.d11fa6ced685a7deb7ce7571b690da6d.jpg

And Sonic drifts so it makes sense that he'd want to protect his hands. 

Once again, it's funny how they have had merchandise that could've been tailored for this.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:21 PM, Razule said:

Turning Rattata into an actual rat that vaguely resembles Rattata would also be a bad idea.

Would it?

On 5/4/2019 at 10:40 PM, Indigo Rush said:

It was implied in the leaks:

Reveal hidden contents

There is a threat that causes Sonic to escape from his world to Earth when he was a kid.

My guess is the threat that Sonic ran away from follows him to Earth at some point. 

Spoiler

Chaos

On 5/4/2019 at 10:43 PM, Blueknight V2.0 said:

ATTENTION EVERYONE! ANOTHER FULL CGI MYSTERY CHARACTER CONFIRMED!

But why not just went ahead an showed that character in the trailer, so this character's redesign would possibly line up with Sonic's?

Oh fuckles,....

On 5/5/2019 at 12:21 AM, Miragnarok said:

Yeah, probably Knuckles, though Vector also sounds like a possibility. Or maybe a new character given the merchandise not having anyone but Sonic and Robotnik.

Why him?

On 5/5/2019 at 12:27 AM, GentlemanX said:

Would they dare feature another design that's meant to be a surprise after how poorly received Sonic was? Like, if Knux is meant to be a cameo at the end of the movie in the hopes he'd hype people up for a sequel, and he looks awful... they have to be aware of that possibility, if not before certainly now.

200?cb=20130826232209

On 5/5/2019 at 1:55 AM, Sonic Fan J said:

I just can't personally connect Eggman to being the big bad in this film based on what the trailer showed me. I mean realistically, he was called in to save the day if you really think about it and is only an antagonist because the movie is about Sonic.

That's more or less it.

They'd might as well have gone with Snively instead.

On 5/5/2019 at 2:10 AM, CaptainRobo said:

BTW, on an unrelated note, Yuji Naka just watched Detective Pikachu with his kids.:

Translation: I came to see the children and the movie, Detective Pikachu. The kids seemed to enjoy it, and I thought it would be nice to feel like this when watching a Sonic movie with a better movie than I thought.

Ah, that sounds nice.

On 5/5/2019 at 2:00 PM, CaptainRobo said:

It’s seem that the movie is getting more positive reactions in Russia than the rest of the world.:

Gotta get that Bara demographic.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:02 PM, Indigo Rush said:

So, I've learned that the Sonic fan-base in Russia has a pretty different take on what Sonic ought to be. I had never really given it much thought until I interacted with a few of them on Twitter. Sonic 2006 is one of their favorite games.

I'm not sure why that is, maybe there's something culturally significant that I'm not aware of? It'd be an interesting case study. Not to paint them as wrong for that preference, but it's such a commonality that it's intriguing in itself. If there are any Russian Sonic fans on this forum, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Oh-ho, really?

On 5/5/2019 at 9:59 PM, PeterPancake said:

IMG_20190505_205536.jpg.743e9b104eb7f536dbacf54e5c35515c.jpg

This one's proportions are perfect. I love how heroic Sonic looks. Also the face is better 

On 5/5/2019 at 10:56 PM, Blacklightning said:

It's the exact same model.

SonicMovie.png

Oh snap, you're right!

On 5/5/2019 at 11:54 PM, BlueFlare said:

It's the eyes, bro. That's what matters the most. Sonic's not a cat.

He's not?

Related image

On 5/6/2019 at 1:25 AM, CaptainRobo said:

I'm glad we are getting an redesign, and the director is listening to us. This is like the first time, that an director did something like this. At least, he is not like Paul Feig who dismiss criticism and doesn't give a shit.

BTW, somebody made Tails in movie style. He look cute.:

D5aczXZXoAA11nU.jpg

Brr.

I love how legit that looks and then the tails are painted in.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:25 AM, CaptainRobo said:

He also made Blaze, Shadow, and Knuckles in movie style.:

D5floVcWsAEM775.jpg

Because of fucking course.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:29 AM, Tarnish said:

Here's my 2 cents regarding the humans in SA1, SA2, and Shadow:

I didn't ask, but I appreciate you sharing.

Although I suppose it is kinda neat that the characters that were important/notable generally had some stylizing to them.

Related image

I actually caught up to date--YAAAY!  😁

On 5/6/2019 at 12:20 PM, TheOcelot said:

He basically says that Hollywood are a bunch of medalling idiots who think they know best.

So what else is new?

On 5/6/2019 at 1:05 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I love the whole thing about how Hollywood was embarrassed to keep to the early designs of the X-Men and shoved them all into black leather because "yellow spandex" for Wolverine would be too unrealistic and cartoonish. Cut to now where superheroes are dominating the market and lavishing in their colorful, goofy looking glory. Fucking Mysterio and his magnificent fish-bowl head is in a Spider-Man movie now.

I love the way Jim talks. I'm jealous of that talent. Just being able to find new and creative ways to insult shit must take a lot of effort. 

Does Hawkeye have his purple suit yet?

On 5/6/2019 at 2:12 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Maybe it's just a thing of the past. Either that or we're looking at it in an extremely different way.

I found an extremely old article of his where he said some harsh stuff about the Sonic series that contradicts the more moderate and calmer approach to the series he has today and I've largely attributed it to just his mind changing over time. 

That'd probably be how I'd see it.

On 5/6/2019 at 6:57 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Translation: Good. I have friends working on the rework of #SonicLeFilm and apparently this is the big cat ... in the sense that they will have to start all over again, starting with the modeling of the character until the animation . The graphic designers want to burst...

...Oh...

On 5/6/2019 at 6:57 PM, CaptainRobo said:

What is the first?

On 5/6/2019 at 9:20 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Well, so much for an cameo.:

23 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Well, it’s seem that some fans pushing for have some music from Crush 40 to appear in the movie. Even, the band themselves pushing for their music to be in it.:

Ah yes! Doing it for the Art

On 5/6/2019 at 9:50 PM, AuroraRedwinters said:

What a missed opportunity. Actually, it would have been funny if ALL the military members were cameos from current and past Sonic voice actors. 

Now that's a mythology gag.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:37 PM, Guergy said:

This might be too late but do you think that is whole "Sonic's design is horrible so he needs to get redesigned" thing had preplanned somehow? It might be a conspiracy theory but I find rather unlikely that the studio behind this did not anticipate this backlash with Sonic's design.

That's something else people were saying for a long time and kinda what some would hope for.

23 hours ago, Mega said:

This might be a reasonable compromise. All this person did was adjust the face slightly and it looks so much more bearable.

Wow, those actually do have more life to them.

Although the last one still looks like creepy.

Also, shaka brah, my Toad!

23 hours ago, Meta77 said:

So just how much are people thinking they are going to change the design. A lot, or just a little.

Also no  to crush 40 just no. Unless a giant water god is shown. Crush is a fine band and all but honestly the only time imo they are good is when it involves a final boss or opening song set to a action montage

What about Never Turn back and Live Life?

11 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Dafuq; I don't know what to take away from this.

3 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Most compelling character since CaptainHatMustache The Animal. 

And who is that?

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Another example that was similar to the design situation.:

I had to delete these for spatial reasons

But goodness gracious

8 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Let’s look at the silver lining here: no Wisps, no Classic Sonic, no nostalgia pandering, no Zavok, no Pontaff, no flying donuts, etc.

Oh wait, it’s actually just a metallic paint lining, rather than a silver lining, I guess.

Also, again, there’s at least no Classic Sonic, Wisps, or Zavok.

Oh Cheese and Ric--can you not?

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Related image

Yup, like I said there was definitely a clash of styles when it came to the humans.

13 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Can't wait to see how the movie plot explicitly explains "You see, dear viewers, this movie is based on a cartoony video game franchise. Now, I know what you're all thinking: THIS LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE VIDEO GAMES! And you are right! However, let us explain why that is perfectly normal, and makes perfect sense!"

I don't get why they didnt use the Badniks. They could have made them look much scarier and less silly looking since since what Miller is going with. I would have been fine with a reimagined take on the Badniks that hewed closer to Bayformers 

1f8392308053af1d59ca198873f4f5a0.thumb.jpg.faf22ab4c26284da9fb6227f5f583f70.jpg

robotbugs_2000.thumb.jpg.3cf5f46e8cffcfff1fe62fbb01fb35d8.jpg

mech-lady-bug-concept-art.jpg.bf506e0ddbcf3cffb536aeb735d37d54.jpg

The robots they went with aren't even robots. They're just drones with guns. Lot of misses potential here. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

On 5/6/2019 at 6:25 AM, CaptainRobo said:

I'm glad we are getting an redesign, and the director is listening to us. This is like the first time, that an director did something like this. At least, he is not like Paul Feig who dismiss criticism and doesn't give a shit.

BTW, somebody made Tails in movie style. He look cute.:

D5aczXZXoAA11nU.jpg

He also made Blaze, Shadow, and Knuckles in movie style.:

D5floVcWsAEM775.jpg

D5a_hxWWwAAHMnv.jpg

D5apThoWAAAqo6F?format=jpg&name=large

The person who created these is this guy.:

https://twitter.com/Oumaseni

Tails is the only one that this is working for and thats only becase he's one of the few characters with a design thats closer to the source animal.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I don't get why they didnt use the Badniks. They could have made them look much scarier and less silly looking since since what Miller is going with. I would have been fine with a reimagined take on the Badniks that hewed closer to Bayformers 

1f8392308053af1d59ca198873f4f5a0.thumb.jpg.faf22ab4c26284da9fb6227f5f583f70.jpg

robotbugs_2000.thumb.jpg.3cf5f46e8cffcfff1fe62fbb01fb35d8.jpg

mech-lady-bug-concept-art.jpg.bf506e0ddbcf3cffb536aeb735d37d54.jpg

The robots they went with aren't even robots. They're just drones with guns. Lot of misses potential here. 

Robotnik in this movie works for the Pentagon. It wouldn't make sense for him to have animal-based robots. Not yet anyway. Maybe in future movies after he's gone completely nutty.

I like what we've seen so far. The robotic vehicle that pops out of the truck Sonic flips over on the highway I thought looked really cool. The drones remind me of SA2.

An interesting thing I noticed on the trailer's YouTube description, is that the reason Robotnik wants to capture Sonic is so he can harness his 'immense power' to rule the world. Could this be hinting Metal Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Myst said:

Robotnik in this movie works for the Pentagon. It wouldn't make sense for him to have animal-based robots. 

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for the smartest person around to have some reason to look towards nature for robot designs and the top brass be to "basic" to understand why.

7 minutes ago, Myst said:

The drones remind me of SA2.

Just dawned on me that if they really wanted a military organisation, they could have used G.U.N. from Adventure 2 and Shadow. But you know, that would require prior knowledge of the franchise, and we can't expect the audience to have that.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

26 minutes ago, Myst said:

Robotnik in this movie works for the Pentagon. It wouldn't make sense for him to have animal-based robots. Not yet anyway. Maybe in future movies after he's gone completely nutty.

I like what we've seen so far. The robotic vehicle that pops out of the truck Sonic flips over on the highway I thought looked really cool. The drones remind me of SA2.

An interesting thing I noticed on the trailer's YouTube description, is that the reason Robotnik wants to capture Sonic is so he can harness his 'immense power' to rule the world. Could this be hinting Metal Sonic?

Yes, but those are his own designs. The B.A.D.N.I.K. could have been one of Robotnik's unique, signature patents. The animal robots could have worked considering they are bringing him in from his own devices, so whatever he brings to the table would be what the Government needs to capture Sonic. It doesn't have to make sense to Government officials, it makes sense to Robotnik and they could have him say something about his brain being superior to theirs if the question comes up. He's the wild card they bring in to solve this problem, animal robots are just an extension of his odd flamboyance and Intellect that others do not understand. 

I don't know, I feel like the animal inspired machines are a classic Sonic staple and they could have been that extra element to give this movie a unique aesthetic/forge it's own visual identity that's still rooted in the lore of the franchise. They seem to be going for Sonic 1, so it would have made sense to have that connection. 

Imagine a highway chase scene between Sonic and a group of Moto Bugs and Buzz Bombers. It could have been epic. 

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Imagine a highway chase scene between Sonic and a group of Motto Bugs and Buzz Bombers. It could have been epic. 

I have. When this movie was first announced I had this mental image of Buzzbombers blowing up cars on the freeway, and Tom firing at some with a police rifle, while Sonic spindashes a few.

I also had this idea that Sonic would toss rings like grenades at enemies, but oh well. Portals work too.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Way Past Cool 1

23 minutes ago, Myst said:

I have. When this movie was first announced I had this mental image of Buzzbombers blowing up cars on the freeway, and Tom firing at some with a police rifle, while Sonic spindashes a few.

I also had this idea that Sonic would toss rings like grenades at enemies, but oh well. Portals work too.

Maybe it would have been better if Eggman was from Sonic's world too? This would explain the egg-like shapes and other non-human features in comparison to humans on Earth. Maybe like the Archie comics, humans on Sonic's world are deformed. 

This also allows the fantastical, zany robots that Eggman is known for without the constraints of Earth technology. I think this where they are going either way with Robotnik ending up on an alien planet at some point 

All right guys, I know this is NOT going to happen, this is really just pie in the sky, wishful thinking, but humor me for a second.

WHAT IF this trailer was indeed a troll to spread awareness for the Sonic movie? This trailer was unveiled a week ago, a week PRIOR to Detective Pikachu. (Everyone was expecting this to be with Pikachu) So for a whole week the internet has been talking about Sonic the Hedgehog's teeth and legs. Entertainment Tonight, Colbert, CNN. Even got a quick mention on SNL's Weekend Update. Free advertising!

Then, abruptly Fowler mentions a redesign is incoming (48 hours after the trailer was shown? Isn't that a bit quick to make such a shocking announcement? Wouldn't there have to be meetings with CEOs, shareholders and executives before even CONSIDERING something as costly and time consuming as a redesign for a major motion picture?)

So anyway, Sonic gets a whole week of media coverage. WHAT IF Paramount is about to steathily drop a trailer secretly with Pikachu with THE REAL designs?

How genius would that be? That trailer would be in the back of everyone's mind while they are still watching Pikachu.

I know, I know, it's a long shot. A real, REAL long shot.

But I just noticed this: it's a page with ratings for movie trailers. Sonic's trailer was added May 3rd, days after the trailer had already gone public on YouTube & Twitter. And strangely, the runtime is different than the trailer we saw last week. Last week's trailer was 2:47. This trailer however, is shorter than that, running at 2:25.

https://www.alberta.ca/recently-rated-trailers.aspx

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Myst said:

All right guys, I know this is NOT going to happen, this is really just pie in the sky, wishful thinking, but humor me for a second.

WHAT IF this trailer was indeed a troll to spread awareness for the Sonic movie? This trailer was unveiled a week ago, a week PRIOR to Detective Pikachu. (Everyone was expecting this to be with Pikachu) So for a whole week the internet has been talking about Sonic the Hedgehog's teeth and legs. Entertainment Tonight, Colbert, CNN. Even got a quick mention on SNL's Weekend Update. Free advertising!

Then, abruptly Fowler mentions a redesign is incoming (48 hours after the trailer was shown? Isn't that a bit quick to make such a shocking announcement? Wouldn't there have to be meetings with CEOs, shareholders and executives before even CONSIDERING something as costly and time consuming as a redesign for a major motion picture?)

So anyway, Sonic gets a whole week of media coverage. WHAT IF Paramount is about to steathily drop a trailer secretly with Pikachu with THE REAL designs?

How genius would that be? That trailer would be in the back of everyone's mind while they are still watching Pikachu.

I know, I know, it's a long shot. A real, REAL long shot.

But I just noticed this: it's a page with ratings for movie trailers. Sonic's trailer was added May 3rd, days after the trailer had already gone public on YouTube & Twitter. And strangely, the runtime is different than the trailer we saw last week. Last week's trailer was 2:47. This trailer however, is shorter than that, running at 2:25.

https://www.alberta.ca/recently-rated-trailers.aspx

I've had this thought too. Everything else aside, it's the fact that the decision to change the design was made so quickly that raises my eyebrows. Six months and they're gonna change something like that? With no reason to think they'll be done or that it'll be better or even on par with the current design? Like, everything about this movie SCREAMS executive incompetence and indifference but this is pushing on my suspension of disbelief. Like, these executives might be out of touch but they HAVE made movies with  animation and animated character design in them before. Someone's gotta know how long it would take to not only make ANY kind of meaningful change, but changes for the noticeably better.

Though occam's razor, they're much more likely just really incompetent and out of touch.

It's the secret episode of Sherlock all over again!

Sorry guys, there's no secret plan, the movie just sucks. Paramount are freaking the fuck out and so are hastily trying to redesign Sonic to plaster the open wound.

• Thumbs Up 9

Actually, had a thought. How many shots in the trailer are there where we see any of the actors talking to and looking at Sonic in the same frame? Where they're actually both in the shot at the same time? I can think of one, MAYBE two (both where they're in the truck). If we're entertaining the possibility that this was a fake trailer made as a publicity stunt, wouldn't the fact that changing Sonic's design and animation would have little to no effect on the actor's performances that we've seen mean that drastic changes are less unlikely?

Purely hypothetically. I don't honestly think the trailer was faked but I thought it was interesting that there's another thing adding slight credence to the theory.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, herefor1reason said:

Actually, had a thought. How many shots in the trailer are there where we see any of the actors talking to and looking at Sonic in the same frame? Where they're actually both in the shot at the same time? I can think of one, MAYBE two (both where they're in the truck). If we're entertaining the possibility that this was a fake trailer made as a publicity stunt, wouldn't the fact that changing Sonic's design and animation would have little to no effect on the actor's performances that we've seen mean that drastic changes are less unlikely?

By the same token, wouldn't this make the CGI easier to insert anyway?  It doesn't just apply to a hypothetical (extremely silly) pre-planned character replacement - sure, let's spend millions of dollars making our first impression as bad as possible - but to crafting any computer-generated design and inserting it into shot.  Like when TV shows have a single actor portraying twins or multiple versions of themselves; there'll be a handful of shots where they're apparently "together," but mostly they're separate because it's easier on the special effects budget.

Yeah, the fact that, rather than just make a good first impression, they'd do some expensive, convoluted PR scheme really pokes giant holes in the idea that it was planned. I think the main reason I've even been entertaining the Idea is that it's just...WEIRD that they'd decide to change the design so quickly, so easily. Even with the backlash,  it doesn't make a ton of sense. Spending more money fixing Sonic's design in this obvious flop is only gonna lose investors more money, better to recoup what they can than try to fix anything. I mean, you could just attribute that to terrible business sense but it's still just...SO weird. I've never seen a movie studio do something like this.

• Thumbs Up 3