Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Besides the conspiracy theory going around the movie team made the bad Sonic design just for rage clicks and they have another better Sonic model already finished and ready for use.... There is also the small possibility for a similar yet less manipulative theory that the movie team simply had a plan A and plan B made ahead of time... where plan A is their currently shown off unpleasant realistic Sonic design, and plan B is a model little closer to the idea of the normal Sonic we all know. That theory wouldn't be a conspiracy on their part, it would had just been a backup plan if things had gone wrong with plan A... which it did.

The most likely scenario is that the people managing the film have no interest in Sonic, are doing this very cynically, and want to make a child Hollywood blockbuster.

We don't even know if the redesign is going to be radically different or even look good. What is likely is that the poor animators will have to suffer hell to get any change done on schedule.

35 minutes ago, Plasme said:

and want to make a child Hollywood blockbuster.

Yet unless they changed their minds the movie is still PG13 and I am almost sure that I remember a interview from years ago where they said something roughly along the lines of they were aiming this movie at older audiences who mainly remember the series from the 90s. Now they could had just been pulling our legs when they said that or had a direction change mid-development. But who knows.

Top quality prank getting those licencing partners making wrong looking merch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 4

19 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Yet unless they changed their minds the movie is still PG13 and I am almost sure that I remember a interview from years ago where they said something roughly along the lines of they were aiming this movie at older audiences who mainly remember the series from the 90s. Now they could had just been pulling our legs when they said that or had a direction change mid-development. But who knows.

Wait. This thing is aiming for PG-13 and marketed at MY generation (in my 30s)? No way. I mean...

I have young kids. I take them to SOME PG-13 movies, but only the really good and less crude ones. To get me in theaters, you need to either pluck hard at my nostalgia strings (Gangsta's Paradise isn't enough) or pull at my children with things they like (they're excited about Det. Pikachu right now, not this).

Man, this thing is a masterpiece. A masterpiece. I'm having flashbacks to the Sonic 4 ad campaign... they really need to STOP trying to appeal to my generation. None of them know how to do it.

(Except the Teen Titans Go guys)

35 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I think they don't even know. In the trailer they're using a song from the 90s and sound effects from the old games, but the actual movie has basically nothing to spark nostalgia about anything...like, make up your damn mind!

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

they really need to STOP trying to appeal to my generation. None of them know how to do it.

Not strange why they might think it is a good idea on paper however. Many Sonic fans grew up with the series in the 90s (like me) and the early 2000s because of the popular Sonic Adventure titles... meaning most Sonic fans are adults now, and the series isn't selling nor appealing to kids nearly as much as it used to. So it seems pretty logical offhand to aim the movie at the audience who might make up for the bulk of those interested in the movie. But regardless who they are actually aiming this towards... the team are seemingly misguided either-way. Because older fans won't enjoy absurd unnecessary changes to Sonic and the story universe as they already have long term premade expectations for the series. And on the other side making it PG13 will just result in less adults taking their kids to go see it.

Somebody drew an meow scene with the Blaze version. I actually think of this, when I think about the scene of Tom discovering Sonic.:

D52M3UlUEAEDaqD?format=jpg&name=medium

Source

Also, I found this an Rouge version of the scene. Somebody drew Rouge in movie style.:

• Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Somebody drew an meow scene with the Blaze version. I actually think of this, when I think about the scene of Tom discovering Sonic.:

Okay, that's actually quite clever.  ...In the real thing, I actually find Sonic's delivery to be weirdly smug, as if he just thought of the funniest quip ever.  Joke's on him, I guess.

12 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I don't get why they didnt use the Badniks. They could have made them look much scarier and less silly looking since since what Miller is going with. I would have been fine with a reimagined take on the Badniks that hewed closer to Bayformers 

1f8392308053af1d59ca198873f4f5a0.thumb.jpg.faf22ab4c26284da9fb6227f5f583f70.jpg

robotbugs_2000.thumb.jpg.3cf5f46e8cffcfff1fe62fbb01fb35d8.jpg

mech-lady-bug-concept-art.jpg.bf506e0ddbcf3cffb536aeb735d37d54.jpg

The robots they went with aren't even robots. They're just drones with guns. Lot of misses potential here. 

12 hours ago, Myst said:

Robotnik in this movie works for the Pentagon. It wouldn't make sense for him to have animal-based robots. Not yet anyway. Maybe in future movies after he's gone completely nutty.

I like what we've seen so far. The robotic vehicle that pops out of the truck Sonic flips over on the highway I thought looked really cool. The drones remind me of SA2.

An interesting thing I noticed on the trailer's YouTube description, is that the reason Robotnik wants to capture Sonic is so he can harness his 'immense power' to rule the world. Could this be hinting Metal Sonic?

12 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for the smartest person around to have some reason to look towards nature for robot designs and the top brass be to "basic" to understand why.

11 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Yes, but those are his own designs. The B.A.D.N.I.K. could have been one of Robotnik's unique, signature patents. The animal robots could have worked considering they are bringing him in from his own devices, so whatever he brings to the table would be what the Government needs to capture Sonic. It doesn't have to make sense to Government officials, it makes sense to Robotnik and they could have him say something about his brain being superior to theirs if the question comes up. He's the wild card they bring in to solve this problem, animal robots are just an extension of his odd flamboyance and Intellect that others do not understand. 

I don't know, I feel like the animal inspired machines are a classic Sonic staple and they could have been that extra element to give this movie a unique aesthetic/forge it's own visual identity that's still rooted in the lore of the franchise. They seem to be going for Sonic 1, so it would have made sense to have that connection. 

Imagine a highway chase scene between Sonic and a group of Moto Bugs and Buzz Bombers. It could have been epic. 

6 hours ago, Diogenes said:

He's already a weird dude that they hesitate to call in at the start of the movie, there's no reason why "compulsively designs robots based off animals" couldn't have been part of that. It's not even that weird an idea to start with, considering some real-life robots take inspiration from animals. Just take a spider-ish robot, jazz up the design Hollywood style, give it a net shooter or a grappling wire or something and bam, it's a badnik.

Yeah, all of the reasons posited for why the robots are so generic in this film simply don't make sense.  Even without the source material being considered, they don't make sense within the movie's own canon since the the writing, acting, and directing (though not the costuming, as much), accurately convey Robotnik as an eccentric mad scientist who doesn't care what normal people think or advise.  If he's as insistent on calling the shots as his trailer scenes made him out to be, what he creates should reflect that.

Going beyond that, though, with regards to the defense that this movie is supposed to be an origin story, I propose this comeback: An origin story movie is not supposed to be this.  It breaks with cinematic history in terms of what works and what doesn't.  Nobody goes to Wonder Woman to see a movie about her being a privileged princess who lives a carefree life in a utopian society; no matter if that's her backstory.  That can't be most of the movie and the main conflict can't just be her opposing her mother and competing with other Amazons to win the right to go abroad, get her hands dirty and be a superheroine, then sequel-hook.  The movie has to include a fair amount about her being a superheroine.  Origins help flesh out a character, but what characters are like at their peak is what makes them work or not work.  Every good origin story movie I can think of does this.  Some will say that Star Wars: Episode I is an exception, but A: Audiences had already seen Obi Wan Kenobi well-realized in three other movies. B: Other things were going on in that movie than just those characters' origins. 3: Most people think that movie sucked.

So while I'm not completely opposed to Sonic's origin story being about befriending a cop, or Robotnik's origin story being about being a government-contracted scientist, the movie should pay heed to getting them up to their in-game glory.  I don't see this movie doing nearly enough of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I were tasked with writing a Sonic origin story I'd probably just take elements or ideas proposed by Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 and mesh them together a bit. Maybe have it be more the genesis of Sonic and his relationship with Tails and Eggman rather than just an excuse to explain the set-up for how Sonic and Eggman's dynamic could possibly exist. Perhaps that can be part of it but I wouldn't feel it necessary for that to be the entire focus. What's going on between the two of them isn't that complicated. Dude's fucking insane and wants to take over the world and Sonic's trying to stop him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

If I were tasked with writing a Sonic origin story I'd probably just take elements or ideas proposed by Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 and mesh them together a bit. Maybe have it be more the genesis of Sonic and his relationship with Tails and Eggman rather than just an excuse to explain the set-up for how Sonic and Eggman's dynamic could possibly exist. Perhaps that can be part of it but I wouldn't feel it necessary for that to be the entire focus. What's going on between the two of them isn't that complicated. Dude's fucking insane and wants to take over the world and Sonic's trying to stop him. 

I think Eggman arguably needs something besides imperialistic--or at least, industrial--desires if he's going to function as a movie villain.  The annoying thing  with this movie, though, is it seems to give him things instead of such desires.  The characters' motives and backgrounds almost seem the inverse of what they were in the games.  

In the games, Robotnik starts polluting the environment and exploiting animals as a means to his ends, and Sonic was reacting mostly to his means.  Only in later games were Eggman's ends shown to be imperialistic and it wasn't until I think Sonic Heroes that I remember him seeing his feud with Sonic as important in itself.  

In this movie, though, it seems to be Sonic who creates a hazard pursuing his self-interest, it's Robotnik who goes to stop him, and soon their conflict is less about noble motives vs villainous motives than it is an egocentric grudge match.

I'm erring on the side of caution here, but I dare say that for once, I wish a movie had been more trendy-political, within the brand's own means.  I don't want it to take any stand on gender-fluidity or gun-control or immigration, but in a time when environmental treaties are collapsing, many species are coming closer to extinction, and many people are scared of cyber-espionage and overreaching software corporations (complete with more and more robots), a villain like Robotnik, fleshed out to tie him to such things, is perfectly relevant.  So is Sonic setting out to stop him.  

They'd still probably have to explain where Sonic came from, and by extension where other anthropology animals came from, but if they just gave him whatever origin he has here but added to Sonic a sense of justice and empathy for other animals, instead of just a love of running, they'd be set.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I don't know Thai, sorry.  Someone please tell me if that link is safe for work.

I think its a bot. Dont click it. Probably spam, or a virus.

3 minutes ago, Myst said:

I think its a bot. Dont click it. Probably spam, or a virus.

Well what did I tell you?!  Robots are coming to get us, and Sonic is the hero we deserve to need to deserve!

• Thumbs Up 2

There's a rumor going around that apparently the test screening reaction (that apparently selected general audiences and studio executives were chosen to go to) was actually so bad, that it spooked Paramount.

There's also a rumor that the design initially looked A LOT worse. Like to the point where kids were screaming and crying in the theater. This rumor also states that more test screenings were shown until they finally created something LESS creepy looking.

1 minute ago, Gamecuber64 said:

There's a rumor going around that apparently the test screening reaction (that apparently selected general audiences and studio executives were chosen to go to) was actually so bad, that it spooked Paramount.

There's also a rumor that the design initially looked A LOT worse. Like to the point where kids were screaming and crying in the theater. This rumor also states that more test screenings were shown until they finally created something LESS creepy looking.

Normally I firmly believe that we shouldn't believe such claims without some proof, but honestly at this point I'll take any excuse for this movie to die so...

Maybe that should've been a sign that they should go back to the drawing board.

• Chuckle 1

30 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Are you sure you didn't get that mixed up with Monster Trucks? Because the development of that film had exactly that happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gamecuber64 said:

What's your source for this? I heard the test screenings were quite positive according to Hollywood insiders on twitter, and that the floss dance had the audience dying with laughter. John Campea said he's heard 'good things' about the movie as well.

Reddit AMA guy said he enjoyed the movie too. Also, you said kids were terrified of Sonic's old look and crying, but Reddit AMA guy said the special effects were so unfinished in the test screening he saw, that at certain times Sonic literally looked like a Minecraft character.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Are you sure you didn't get that mixed up with Monster Trucks? Because the development of that film had exactly that happen.

Yeah, that's what people have compared this situation to, not that it happened in regards to the Sonic movie.

38 minutes ago, Myst said:

What's your source for this? I heard the test screenings were quite positive according to Hollywood insiders on twitter, and that the floss dance had the audience dying with laughter. John Campea said he's heard 'good things' about the movie as well.

Reddit AMA guy said he enjoyed the movie too. Also, you said kids were terrified of Sonic's old look and crying, but Reddit AMA guy said the special effects were so unfinished in the test screening he saw, that at certain times Sonic literally looked like a Minecraft character.

Are you sure he was talking about dancing?  Because say what you will about those human teeth; they sure look squeaky clean!

1 hour ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Yeah, that's what people have compared this situation to, not that it happened in regards to the Sonic movie.

Of course the difference is that the Monster Trucks were supposed to be scary.  Sonic in this film was supposed to be so lovable that they're making a baby doll of him.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Sonic in this film was supposed to be so lovable that they're making a baby doll of him.

I hope that doll will look something like this:

LpwHB88.thumb.jpg.d947f31c17680997b6d15d2e4ddd0f61.jpg

Gotta emphasize on them lovely teeth.

• My Emmerdoods 3
  • Way Past Cool 1

Apparently, the Italian Sonic voice actor is voicing the Sonic for the Italian version of the movie.:

Here are some of the YouTubers’ reactions to the trailer.:

3 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Of course the difference is that the Monster Trucks were supposed to be scary.  Sonic in this film was supposed to be so lovable that they're making a baby doll of him.

No, I meant that you got the story mixed up. That story is what happened to Monster Trucks (of which was supposed to appeal to kids, btw). And from what we know about the test screenings for Sonic, this same thing didn’t happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

And from what we know about the test screenings for Sonic, this same thing didn’t happen.

Still gotta love Hollywood's approach when it comes to test screenings. "Hey, we got this license for an IP that has a certain fanbase. Now do a test screening with people who don't give a shit about the IP and make sure they love it. That ought to please everybody."