Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

9 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

IMG_20190505_205536.jpg.743e9b104eb7f536dbacf54e5c35515c.jpg

This one's proportions are perfect. I love how heroic Sonic looks. Also the face is better 

7 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The mouth is much wider and closer to the proto design. He has two spines on his back instead of 6. The shoes are Nike with a different design. And he has a less lanky physique with shorter limbs.

That is literally just as bad if not worse. That one has a awful Muppet mouth. The shoes are even lamer there then what he ended up with and has no socks. The eyes are just as bad as the current design. The 6 spikes on his back in the current design don't matter and doesn't make the old design better for only having 2. And he still has tiny no-glove painted white hands right there. Everybody hated that design when it was revealed just as much as the current version.

8 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

The whole redesigning Sonic thing is hilarious to me. Like, the damage is already done and the rest of the movie looks dreadful, but by all means dump even more time and money into this bullshit.

Yup. It's like putting a bandage on the sinking Titanic.

Lol I've been thinking today how bonkers this whole saga has been. We have waited SO LONG to see the Sonic design and now it's finally been revealed and they're changing it and we're back to square one... waiting to see the Sonic design reveal again!!

I really hope we get to see something sooner rather than later.

Fair play though, it's got everyone talking about the movie!

Yasuhara was the only one at Sega who actually gave a shit about whether Sonic was being attached to things that were any good from 1994 to 1998.

5 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Well said, Jim

I'm not giving Sterling views, but can I assume he is staying consistent with his past views on the subjects of character design changes for new audiences; calling everyone who took issue with the movie entitled whiners and insulting anyone who came up with design improvements?

20 minutes ago, Tornado said:

I'm not giving Sterling views, but can I assume he is staying consistent with his past views on the subjects of character design changes for new audiences; calling everyone who took issue with the movie entitled whiners and insulting anyone who came up with design improvements?

He basically says that Hollywood are a bunch of medalling idiots who think they know best.

23 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Yasuhara was the only one at Sega who actually gave a shit about whether Sonic was being attached to things that were any good from 1994 to 1998.

One, why are you opposed to giving sterling views.

Two, no he calls hollywood arrogant for thinking they could design a character designed so well that him and his friends have stood the test of a plethora of bad video games, goes into how cynical hollywood is, gives a bit of history lesson and talks about how now they are redesigning him to be less shit, it wont make the movie unshit, it will just now be an uninteresting garbage fire.

You can watch it its there

29 minutes ago, Tornado said:

No, thankfully he's not doing his DMC reboot routine again.

51 minutes ago, Tornado said:

He says the Sonic movie design was disgusting nightmare fuel and is yet another example of Hollywood type movie makers being out of touch and self-adsorbed fools. Going on to say that changing these kinds of old popular franchises in every possible way they can shows a complete lack of understanding of why these franchises were popular in the first place. Lastly was him saying that he is halfway disappointed the movie team are changing the design now because it was going to be a bad movie either-way to him, but at least a awful gross Sonic design gave the movie something interesting... but the idea of a new slightly better design will likely just result in the movie being both bad and boring now in his opinion.

I love the whole thing about how Hollywood was embarrassed to keep to the early designs of the X-Men and shoved them all into black leather because "yellow spandex" for Wolverine would be too unrealistic and cartoonish. Cut to now where superheroes are dominating the market and lavishing in their colorful, goofy looking glory. Fucking Mysterio and his magnificent fish-bowl head is in a Spider-Man movie now.

I love the way Jim talks. I'm jealous of that talent. Just being able to find new and creative ways to insult shit must take a lot of effort. 

54 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

He basically says that Hollywood are a bunch of medalling idiots who think they know best.

Well, when this movie does come out, it'll probably be the kinda thing you want to watch while having a lot of alcohol in your system. You know, hilariously bad.

What I'm going to do, anyway. Drink a lot, watch it with my fiance and my sister and her husband. Should be more enjoyable.

2 hours ago, Shiroi said:

Seems there’ll be no Crush 40 music in this movie and the duo isn’t happy about it.

Can’t say I’m surprised but this decision is still baffling.

Hell, they didn't even use any song from any of the games, or at least a new remix/rendition of one in the trailer, so nothing really shocking about this.

I'd be surprised if using an actual game song ever came up during development, seeing how they shat on literally every aspect of the source material. So I don't see why the music aspect would have gotten a different treatment.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

One, why are you opposed to giving sterling views

I would have thought, since you quoted my post, that you had read it. The context I provided seemed pretty straightforward, though I can understand it may be confusing to people who have only been paying attention to him since he became a Serious Journalist Talking About Important Things.

6 minutes ago, Tornado said:

I would have thought, since you quoted my post, that you had read it. The context I provided seemed pretty straightforward, though I can understand it may be confusing to people who have only been paying attention to him since he became a Serious Journalist Talking About Important Things.

I read that, I would like the context for why you think that. If you don't feel like answering, that's also fine.

Before he started doing profound video essays about how Racism In Games Is Bad to the extent that he became respectable enough that people dump his videos in message board posts to make their points for them, Sterling cut his teeth doing exactly what I outlined.

Sterling trying to make a point about creative bankruptcy in the Hollywood design process rings more than a little hollow in the context of his months long, public-humiliation-of-Deviant-Art-users tirades against people who hated the OW THE EDGE creatively bankrupt Donte, or the similar ones against people who pointed out how creatively bankrupt Sonic 4 looked from day 1. It instead sounds from what others have said (because, again, I'm not watching a video that was posted in this thread with nothing more to its contents than an "I agree with Jim" tacked on the end) more like he's not alright with it this time because he didn't like it either.

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

Before he started doing profound video essays about how Racism In Games Is Bad to the extent that he became respectable enough that people dump his videos in message board posts to make their points for them, Sterling cut his teeth doing exactly what I outlined.

Sterling trying to make a point about creative bankruptcy in the Hollywood design process rings more than a little hollow in the context of his months long, public-humiliation-of-Deviant-Art-users tirades against people who hated the OW THE EDGE creatively bankrupt Donte, or the similar ones against people who pointed out how creatively bankrupt Sonic 4 looked from day 1. It instead sounds from what others have said (because, again, I'm not watching a video that was posted in this thread with nothing more to its contents than an "I agree with Jim" tacked on the end) more like he's not alright with it this time because he didn't like it either.

Well, I don't know about all that personally. I watch all his stuff and listen to all his podcasts and he's been fairly consistent and agreeable to me. Maybe it's just a thing of the past. Either that or we're looking at it in an extremely different way.

I found an extremely old article of his where he said some harsh stuff about the Sonic series that contradicts the more moderate and calmer approach to the series he has today and I've largely attributed it to just his mind changing over time. 

Then again, I can't help what other people think. 

Back on topic though, one of the weird things about this whole movie and other Hollywood films that he brings up is how the Hollywood arrogance sees them nabbing a license for a property and doing things that go against what that license entails. But as he stated, Hollywood thinking they know how to better sell Sonic to a general audience than the people who've been making bank on Sonic for over 20 years makes no sense and it stands to reason that if you have that character in your possession, it would normally be because that character in its current form has value.

Obviously some changes would need to be made for the sake of making it a movie but it's truly baffling how this is a consistent thing with Hollywood video game adaptations when history has shown that doing stuff like this leads to the exact thing you don't want. I truly am baffled by this mentality. I understand that they're arrogant but does arrogance translate to doing something so consistently wrong for years and years on end without realizing that it's not working? I'd have no choice but to chalk that up to sheer stupidity at that point. Or ignorance. It has to be one or the other because there's no way the money munching mongrels of Hollywood aren't looking at this video game movie trend and realizing that what they're doing isn't getting them good money or any sort of positive critical acclaim.