Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

12 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Oh come on... It's not the only thing and you know it.

Okay Jim Carrey could look a bit more like Robotnik, granted, but I enjoy what we've seen and heard so far.

I'm curious to see the turn of events that gets Sonic here on Earth, I wanna see more of his little hideout in the woods. I wanna see the comical consquences of Sonic arriving in this small town. I wanna see how Sonic & Tom bond over the course of this movie.

Robotnik's robot that spawned on the freeway looked sick, (as does that lab he's got on that giant truck of his) we got JunkieXL doing the music.. I'm hyped! They just fix Sonic's face a bit and this movie will be great.

14 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Opinionated.

You know... I bet I'm smart enough to actually devise a scientific test or method or even just a basic questionnaire to prove I'm right.

2 minutes ago, Myst said:

Okay Jim Carrey could look a bit more like Robotnik

But I don't need to!

• Chuckle 1

13 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Opinionated.

This is amazing to read coming from the guy who once said this:

On 5/1/2019 at 5:13 AM, Operationgamer17 said:

People, PLEASE don’t do this and just let people have their opinions. Ugh.

Look, this is a pretty divisive flick, and I'd honestly be disappointed if people didn't disagree on things surrounding it. But this is a discussion board first and foremost - if you're not prepared to discuss it, maybe you should take your own advice instead of flinging ad hominem at anyone who disagrees with you.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

John Campea gives his opinion on the Sonic redesign, and brings up a good point about the rise of outrage mobs on social media.

Why is it that every time I go see a movie, at least one trailer plays that makes me squirm and experience extreme second hand embarrassment?

Like I went to see Shazam! and the fucking live-action grown-up Dora the Explorer trailer played before it. And I saw that alone so I couldn't even make jokes about it to my friend.

And when I saw Endgame, the god-damn live-action Lion King trailer played. I've never wanted to yell, "OH MY GOD! HOW EMBARRASSING!" so much.

If I see the Sonic trailer in an actual theater, I may literally sink so far back into my seat that it'll turn into a makeshift grave. That trailer will have killed me.

• Chuckle 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Why is it that every time I go see a movie, at least one trailer plays that makes me squirm and experience extreme second hand embarrassment?

Like I went to see Shazam! and the fucking live-action grown-up Dora the Explorer trailer played before it. And I saw that alone so I couldn't even make jokes about it to my friend.

And when I saw Endgame, the god-damn live-action Lion King trailer played. I've never wanted to yell, "OH MY GOD! HOW EMBARRASSING!" so much.

If I see the Sonic trailer in an actual theater, I may literally sink so far back into my seat that it'll turn into a makeshift grave. That trailer will have killed me.

Why did you got embarrassed watching the Lion King trailer which is pretty much amazing?

Wait...

Sarcasm?

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Why did you got embarrassed watching the Lion King trailer which is pretty much amazing?

Wait...

Sarcasm?

No. It looks awful. 

It looks really fucking bad. 

• Thumbs Up 8

8 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

No. It looks awful.

I wasn't even aware there was anybody out there who thought the Lion King remake looked good to them. Many people are hating on it everywhere online. xD

On another note I am curious to see how the Sonic movie will end up doing in sells. People are feeling confident it'll flop... But I'm not sure... I can't help but feel a lot of people will go watch it out of curiosity and just because It is Sonic which is still a pretty big deal to a lot of people.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

On another note I am curious to see how the Sonic movie will end up doing in sells. People are feeling confident it'll flop... But I'm not sure... I can't help but feel a lot of people will go watch it out of curiosity and just because It is Sonic which is still a pretty big deal to a lot of people.

Well, in order to do that, (pre-redesign) they'd at least have to be able to stomach looking at the horrifying creature. When I watched the trailer I was eating sushi and ended up gagging twice so... that's a no for me. Ever since I just watch this whenever I want to revisit it.

If people were complaining at just watching the trailer than I don't know if that'll translate into ticket sales. It largely depends on how well this supposed re-design goes. 

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Them teeth aside, I don't see how Sonic could possibly be any worse than Pikachu. 😒

The only thing really wrong with the Sonic movie is his design, and they already confirmed they are changing that. 

Over 400 pages. At this point, you still think that? Mate, there shouldn't be an "only thing really wrong" to begin with. In fact, the real "only thing" that couldn't be wrong is his design. Sonic's design should've been the first thing to get right. The movie is literally called "Sonic the Movie" in many countries. He's the main character, the character that the audience should connect and care about, the character people will spend most of time with. Unless the point of the character is "ugly on the surface, but good heart inside", which never was Sonic's case.

I'll unfollow this thread, I just can't with some of you guys. I seriously believe some are in fact trolling. I'll stick with the games and other subjects. HOPEFULLY they won't make a game out of this movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really want to know why they thought that Sonic in a bag joke was funny.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Well, in order to do that, (pre-redesign) they'd at least have to be able to stomach looking at the horrifying creature. When I watched the trailer I was eating sushi and ended up gagging twice so... that's a no for me. Ever since I just watch this whenever I want to revisit it.

If people were complaining at just watching the trailer than I don't know if that'll translate into ticket sales. It largely depends on how well this supposed re-design goes. 

Unrelated, but watching that just keeps reminding me just how much I really hate that child joke. I really pray this isn't their height of comedy in this film, especially to use that as the stinger, because otherwise this ain't gonna be a funny flick. 

Well, intentionally funny flick. God knows it's gonna be laughably horrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Unrelated, but watching that just keeps reminding me just how much I really hate that child joke. I really pray this isn't their height of comedy in this film, especially to use that as the stinger, because otherwise this ain't gonna be a funny flick. 

Well, intentionally funny flick. God knows it's gonna be laughably horrible.

Not only is it not funny, it doesn't play out in a way that makes any sense.

Why would he deny it... and then immediately confirm it and then on top of that say it's not his? 

Comedy still has to make sense. Even something that happens at random usually relies on juxtaposition to get a laugh. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw the preview in theaters tonight before Detective Pikachu(which I HIGHLY recommend...great movie.  It's a standard Pokemon movie in live action essentially with PG Ryan Reynolds Deadpool Pikachu)....it doesn't look BAD on the big screen.  With some tweaking, I think it could actually work but Jim Carrey even bald is still Jim Carrey.   That doesn't win any points with me but overall, I wouldn't mind seeing this in theaters.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just got back from D.Pika and guess what. They ran the Sonic trailer. And everyone instantly knew what it was just about. A few small kids seemed to like it and laughed a lot at eggman. I have got to saw seeing the trailer on surround sound was pretty exciting honestly. yes i know his face scares many here but it just looked so fun on the big screen compared to my tv or monitor. The spin dash was just glorious. As for the kid in the bag joke honestly when that part came up a lot of people actually laughed. but not just a cringe laugh but everyone honestly laughed after he finished the entire joke in earnest. And at least one guy yelled heck yea at the end eggman teaser.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I think the Pokemon in Detective Pikachu look like they clawed their way out of Satan's asshole, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it. They at least have a vision, and they're going for it. It's covered in grime, it's gross, it's dystopian in a way that reminds me of the Mario Movie, and I want to see how it actually plays out.

The only way Sonic could be more bland is if they set it in fucking Utah.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I think the Pokemon in Detective Pikachu look like they clawed their way out of Satan's asshole, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it. They at least have a vision, and they're going for it. It's covered in grime, it's gross, it's dystopian in a way that reminds me of the Mario Movie, and I want to see how it actually plays out.

If you like fog and grime, there's plenty of that in the Pikachu movie.  It even has a few horror movie moments.

Them teeth aside, I don't see how Sonic could possibly be any worse than Pikachu.

Just saw Pikachu. It was an excellent and fun romp that was EXTREMELY faithful to the spirit of Pokemon. It felt like a real place in the Pokemon world, with the source material lovingly incorporated from start to finish.

Sonic is clearly generic schlock with no passion for the IP.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

That would probably be better than Montana. They could have a scene where a group of people try to convert Sonic to Mormonism.

• Chuckle 4

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I really want to know why they thought that Sonic in a bag joke was funny.

Why do people think anything is funny?

Comedy is stupid.

You want to know what really upsets me about this movie? What upsets me is that Paramount had everything they needed to succeed. They could have taken the pre-established characters and setting and used them to tell an original story. Even if it was still live-action, it would have been a big hit with fans and general audiences alike! But instead we're getting this, because god forbid Sonic fans get anything nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

You want to know what really upsets me about this movie? What upsets me is that Paramount had everything they needed to succeed. They could have taken the pre-established characters and setting and used them to tell an original story. Even if it was still live-action, it would have been a big hit with fans and general audiences alike! But instead we're getting this, because god forbid Sonic fans get anything nice.

No you need an original story. You need to build a world before just dropping in every character just cause fans will like it. While fans may like that, reviewers will not. Go look at what D.pika has right now from critics. A freaking 54. I liked the movie but many who rated it so low is cause the movie is basically for gamers and those who know the characters. It does little to introduce any of them to you. It assumes you know everything.  Which for me is ok but not everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

No you need an original story. You need to build a world before just dropping in every character just cause fans will like it. While fans may like that, reviewers will not. Go look at what D.pika has right now from critics. A freaking 54. I liked the movie but many who rated it so low is cause the movie is basically for gamers and those who know the characters. It does little to introduce any of them to you. It assumes you know everything.  Which for me is ok but not everyone.

Personally I'd rather have a movie that delivers what their target audience (fans) want than something that tries to appeal to people so full of themselves (critics) who think that their opinions matter... plus they're going to complain anyway.

• Thumbs Up 8