Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

14 minutes ago, Myst said:

The movie will not be delayed. Paramount has Sonic movie merch ready to roll out for Christmas. The marketing team at Paramount is probably counting on merchandise sales over the holiday season to help contribute to the film's overall revenue. 

Oh, right, merchandise.
Kind of weird in that regard they only have Sonic plus a few nondescript humans, if I were a soulless Hollywood merchandise manager, I'd demand all fan favorite Sonic characters to show up to get as much merchandise possibilities as possible.
The Transformers got a ton of them in their movies for full action figure advantage. The Smurfs were smart enough to have a bunch of them.
Weird Sonic the movie shows so much restraint.
Then again, I suppose at least one more "cartoon" character was hinted at to appear.

Eh, the Meme worked for me, in a "Even if Paramount fixes the Sonic design, people will reject the movie because it's entire concept is not working" kinda way.

I'm indiffrent about Sonic's design, if that helps.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Myst said:

Yeesh. I wasn't making fun of anybody personally, just pointing out the humor in the reactions people have had to this movie these past several months.

I honestly didn't expect my post to ruffle so much feathers. You can either laugh at it like I did, or ignore it and move on. 

A misrepresentative meme helped convince Sega to throw out most of the playable cast, and posting it is banned here for a reason.  We don't need any more misrepresentative memes screwing over the series.

Particularly not ones that promote the old myth that Sonic fans will never be pleased.  Even if that was true, the conclusion Paramount should have drawn from it was that the brand is too risky to capitalize on.  But it's not true.  The myth exists because Sega's supposed attempts to fix Sonic have generally been about throwing things out, many of which weren't even unpopular, and adding new things to replace them, many of which ARE unpopular.  Attacking the customers rather than taking their actual complaints into consideration makes one a useful idiot to bad businesspeople.

34 minutes ago, Razule said:

Who needs other characters when Sonic and Baby Sonic are going to fly off the shelves?

The easiest answer is "People who already bought Sonic and Baby Sonic".  There are, of course, concerns about the costs of manufacturing such merchandise, but if they don't want to, what that says to me is--for the record--they aren't so convinced of their own brand that as to go in deep with their first movie.  Profit isn't just about how much you earn; it's about how little you invest.  These 3d-animated-animal-in-live-action-world movies keep getting made, despite their mediocre-to-bad receptions, because they're cheaper to make than a fully animated film.

If what merchandise it does have flies off the shelves, that will be a sign they can do more with next movie.  I'm not convinced it will, though.  It exists in a world where they core Sonic brand also does, and the game design looks a lot better.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

yes ''some'' nothing compared to how Sonic and general people reacted to Sonic's movie design.

Well, the reactions are not as bad as the reactions for Sonic's movie design. So, I agree, but that is their opinion. Maybe they didn't like it because they think that they were creepy, but I didn't see anything wrong with them, they look technically the same like the games.

Anyway, here is what Iizuka have to say about the movie.:

I know I posted an picture of the same quote that Iizuka say about the movie, but I don't think not that much people noticed it.

Also, didn't he say that he is the supervisor of the movie like last year. The development of the movie is kinda confusing me.:

http://www.tssznews.com/2018/06/22/takashi-iizuka-says-he-is-supervising-the-sonic-movie/

Also, btw, the storyboard artist of the movie draw this.:

4 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Oh, right, merchandise.
Kind of weird in that regard they only have Sonic plus a few nondescript humans, if I were a soulless Hollywood merchandise manager, I'd demand all fan favorite Sonic characters to show up to get as much merchandise possibilities as possible.
The Transformers got a ton of them in their movies for full action figure advantage. The Smurfs were smart enough to have a bunch of them.
Then again, I suppose at least one more "cartoon" character was hinted at to appear.

Eh, the Meme worked for me, in a "Even if Paramount fixes the Sonic design, people will reject the movie because it's entire concept is not working" kinda way.

I'm indiffrent about Sonic's design, if that helps.

Even as far back as Garfield, while Arlene and Nermal (even Odie) were played by real felines they were at least present along with some new characters. 

5 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Even as far back as Garfield, while Arlene and Nermal (even Odie) were played by real felines they were at least present along with some new characters. 

They made Odie a feline?!

That statement about Sega not being involved in the movie given by Iizuka remind me of this comment made by the company that made the Doom games, when they asked about the upcoming direct-to-video Doom movie that was hated by a lot of people a few months ago.:

Iizuka's statement can basically be "Yeah, it sucks, we know, but it's not our fault this time!"

• Chuckle 3

4 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Iizuka's statement can basically be "Yeah, it sucks, we know, but it's not our fault this time!"

Yet he basically said that he’s looking forward to seeing the finished thing. Side-note: since Sonic is their property, I wonder if the folks at SEGA get early screenings?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Yet he basically said that he’s looking forward to seeing the finished thing.

I can't believe we're still using basic fucking PR talk as a defense.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

I can't believe we're still using basic fucking PR talk as a defense.

Not every statement expressing excitement for something pre-release is PR speak. 

Just now, Operationgamer17 said:

Not every statement expressing excitement for something pre-release is PR speak. 

A company's job isn't to be honest with the quality of their products. It's to sell you those products and nothing more.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

They'll sure be "honest" about their involvement with said product.

Hence Iizuka's statement, he's openly admitting that he's nothing more than an advisor and god knows they've ignored feedback for this long.

At the end of the trailer, when Carrey goes full Robotnik, I wonder if the color of his goggles are a visual reference to SatAM/AoStH. As we all know, In those cartoons, he had black eyes with red pupils. The goggles have the same color scheme.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The Pokemon look amazing but some people still hate them 

Some people seem to like Sonic's movie design but most people hate/dislike it.

I'm thinking about the possibility that the trailer design was a PR stunt (highly doubt it) and, if it was, how fucking successful it was at getting people talking and thinking about this movie. Like, I've seen redesign after redesign after redesign. I mean, this thread is 430 pages long so far. People are talking SO much about this movie...most of what they're saying is negative but still, word of mouth and curiosity can do a lot for a movie like this.

Like, I don't think that's what's happening but if it was, damn. This thing was on colbert. It's been in tons of news outlets. People with..uh...DIFFERENT tastes would likely see it purely on the scale of the discussion being had. Just think about how many shitty trailers of decent movies we'll start to get if this one was a PR stunt.

12 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Oh, right, merchandise.

It's bizarre to think about, but it feels like the movie would have been much more faithful if it had been a cynical attempt to sell toys to kids, rather than a cynical attempt to... do whatever it's trying to do.

• Way Past Cool 1

5 minutes ago, FFWF said:

It's bizarre to think about, but it feels like the movie would have been much more faithful if it had been a cynical attempt to sell toys to kids, rather than a cynical attempt to... do whatever it's trying to do.

Possibly the toy industry is going through a rough time right now.  Toys R Us died, video games have captured a lot of the attention physical toys had, the sort of cartoons that are made to sell toys are less common now, and while that bit about games might make Sonic toys sell better, his games aren't all that popular anymore.

This movie might be intended as a gateway to other Sonic things, with Sega not being picky about what those things are.  Sonic Boom was going to be their big attempt to bring in new fans, but a terrible first game and Cartoon Network's inexplicably stupid scheduling made it fail quickly.  This is another try, and while it doesn't look good now, maybe it'll succeed at endearing Sonic himself to children.

• Thumbs Up 4

26 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

maybe it'll succeed at endearing Sonic himself to children

Or it'll earn pity points from people. "Poor Sonic, not only do his games suck ass these days, he can't even catch a break with a movie...I'll throw a few bucks his way."

So, I'm using spoiler tags for this, but maybe… IDK, the second test screening AMA ties into the first one, could be very well done research if it's fake, anyway, let's give it the benefit of the doubt:

Spoiler

- Sonic is cute, like in the Chris Pratt poster. WHAT, it would support the theories that Paramount wanted to create buzz with a shitty model, but it makes no sense, the AMA guy also admits he looks like a gremlin in the trailer.

- He only played a couple of Genesis games so he wouldn't get all the references, like City Escape, there is no mention of it apparently, unlike in the other AMA.

Edit: He did say there is a big chase and battle in the city.

- Green Hill Zone remix, Starlight Zone remix (apparently?), Sonic's theme remix, and various '90s sounds, rings sounds and hit sounds.

- Sonic gets gloves during the  movie, again… WHAT, also learns a better spin dash when he gets his iconic shoes… I repeat, is this for real?

- He didn't like the human world and drama, but it sets up for a franchise, with the next movie taking place MORE in Sonic's world.

- Apparently there is a mention of other animals in Sonic's world.

- Sonic starts off as pretty shy and insecure, gets more snarky and confident as the movie goes on, especially towards Robotnik.

- It's a comedy adventure, rather than an epic action movie. It's a bit cheesy, but it's aware of what it's trying to be.

- Classic Jim Carrey performance, funny and arrogant. So it's… good?

- Compared it to Who framed Roger Rabbit and Ted. Definitely sees the Rocket Raccoon similarities.

- Like in the other AMA, he said he really enjoyed it, it's for kids and teens but there are jokes for older people.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, herefor1reason said:

I'm thinking about the possibility that the trailer design was a PR stunt (highly doubt it) and, if it was, how fucking successful it was at getting people talking and thinking about this movie. Like, I've seen redesign after redesign after redesign. I mean, this thread is 430 pages long so far. People are talking SO much about this movie...most of what they're saying is negative but still, word of mouth and curiosity can do a lot for a movie like this.

Like, I don't think that's what's happening but if it was, damn. This thing was on colbert. It's been in tons of news outlets. People with..uh...DIFFERENT tastes would likely see it purely on the scale of the discussion being had. Just think about how many shitty trailers of decent movies we'll start to get if this one was a PR stunt.

It wasn't a PR stunt. People need to stop believing this nonsense. It wouldn't be some insanely brilliant move to purposely make everyone think your movie is terrible.

• Thumbs Up 6