Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I think this movie will be more like the 2018 Rampage and Tomb Raider. Not necessarily good reception at all, but also not full on bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn’t be surprised if the movie ended up getting 2, or 3, or more sequels like Resident Evil. That movie got like 5 more sequels. I don’t think they making anymore sequels after the sixth one which was the last one of the film series. They going to reboot the film series after that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Resident Evil started life at a 33 million budget and peaked at 65 million it had much lower break even points.

4 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the movie ended up getting 2, or 3, or more sequels like Resident Evil. That movie got like 5 more sequels. I don’t think they making anymore sequels after the sixth one which was the last one of the film series. They going to reboot the film series after that.

I'd rather they rebooted after this movie instead of making sequels.

1 hour ago, Splash the Otter said:

I'd rather they rebooted after this movie instead of making sequels.

Well, maybe, if the movie flopped, then they could make an animated reboot. So, I think we will wait and see how the movie perform in the box office when it’s come out on November.

28 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Well, maybe, if the movie flopped, then they could make an animated reboot. So, I think we will wait and see how the movie perform in the box office when it’s come out on November.

If this movie flops, no movie studio in their right mind will want to touch this property ever again. Not after the vocal temper tantrum the online fanbase has had for the past 7 months. The movie is an absolute joke to a majority of people right now, has a ton of dislikes on YouTube, and has been getting roasted by the mainstream media.

I'm excited to see it myself, I'll be there opening night with a Sonic t-shirt on, as excited as a kid on Christmas morning.. But if this movie tanks, Sonic will never be on the big screen again, save for a cameo in another Wreck-It Ralph movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what other songs we will get on the soundtrack. 'Gangsta's Paradise' is already confirmed to be on it. (No, it's not just in the trailer, Paramount confirms it will be on the soundtrack)

What other songs do you guys want to see?

This may sound silly, but what about Coldplay's 'Speed of Sound'? I could picture that playing in the background towards the end of the film, in a montage where Sonic is really experiencing the world for the first time, (having been living alone in the woods for years.) The Grand Canyon, sandy beaches, cities at night, the carnival, all while bonding with his new friend, Tom.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Myst said:

If this movie flops, no movie studio in their right mind will want to touch this property ever again. Not after the vocal temper tantrum the online fanbase has had for the past 7 months. The movie is an absolute joke to a majority of people right now, has a ton of dislikes on YouTube, and has been getting roasted by the mainstream media.

I'm excited to see it myself, I'll be there opening night with a Sonic t-shirt on, as excited as a kid on Christmas morning.. But if this movie tanks, Sonic will never be on the big screen again, save for a cameo in another Wreck-It Ralph movie.

But if the movie does well, we're pretty much guaranteed to get a sequel instead of an animated reboot!

I guarantee the movie will do well. It will get hounded by your typical youtubers that will chime in make sure you sub to my pateron link at the end but regardless kids will eat it up. Not all kids mind you but in the example above the TMNT live action movie was jumped on for making them look so off from what many of use late 80s and very early 90s kids liked. But kids loved the film. i see Sonic doing the same honestly. Then we will get a bigger sequel. I am sure the team has rough drafts of other designs.  I mean i see what they were going for. any REAL hedgehog looks like sonic does in the trailer. Except for those evil teeth. their faces normally look like that just paint them blue. Still paramount was looking to sell more toys to a general audience i suppose than gamers that grew up on sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

But if the movie does well, we're pretty much guaranteed to get a sequel instead of an animated reboot!

Sadly.

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

Sadly.

Like Smurfs, we could get a few sequels and then an animated reboot. Is that okay?

35 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Like Smurfs, we could get a few sequels and then an animated reboot. Is that okay?

Pretty pointless qusetion, since it's not like I have a say.

4 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

I believe that's what they're banking on. The best we can hope for years down the line is that somebody we'll make a "Sorry the last few sucked" kind of movie, in Dragon Ball's case, it was everything after Evolution, for Transformers it was Bumblebee, etc etc etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, DreamSaturn said:

I believe that's what they're banking on. The best we can hope for years down the line is that somebody we'll make a "Sorry the last few sucked" kind of movie, in Dragon Ball's case, it was everything after Evolution, for Transformers it was Bumblebee, etc etc etc.

Although, as the aforementioned Smurfs proved, this is not an automatic saving grace. 

I don't know guys...

Bay Turtles was made by Paramount. See any apology film or animated reboot anywhere? Doesn't appear to be their way of thinking. Bumblebee was the only time they did anything.

10 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I don't know guys...

Bay Turtles was made by Paramount. See any apology film or animated reboot anywhere? Doesn't appear to be their way of thinking. Bumblebee was the only time they did anything.

Paramount owns Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles part and parcel, so they didn’t have to worry about losing the license to the series. 

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Paramount owns Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles part and parcel, so they didn’t have to worry about losing the license to the series. 

I wonder what kind of deal did they sign with SEGA. Only for 1 movie or for multiple ones. Since we already know they're thinking in sequels.

23 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I wonder what kind of deal did they sign with SEGA. Only for 1 movie or for multiple ones. Since we already know they're thinking in sequels.

The original idea Sony had, was to make this a trilogy. I still legitimately think this is supposed to be Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles. Unfortunately, we don't know if it'll even make it past 1.

3 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

The original idea Sony had, was to make this a trilogy. I still legitimately think this is supposed to be Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles. Unfortunately, we don't know if it'll even make it past 1.

Well if a contract for multiple movies is already signed, I think that pretty much ensures we're getting multiple of these damn things. Unless the first one tanks so bad Paramount backs out of the deal. But we all know this'll make money. It's the "so horrible, I just gotta pay money to see it" category for a lot of people.

• My Emmerdoods 1

3 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I don't know guys...

I found Out of the Shadows to be a sufficient "apology film", if only because the first took such a half-assed approach to the brand that it's sequel's enthusiasm felt charming, and I read somewhere that they are going to reboot the brand.  It might not be fully animated, but the turtles themselves probably are, and they can do that brand just fine set in a realistic New York City.

Then again, maybe not.  One of the hallmarks of TMNT is its Fantasy Kitchen Sink, and when movies next establish the brand well, it might be time for a space travel movie, or a time travel movie, or a multiverse travel movie, or at least a conventional travel out of New York City movie.

• Promotion 1

7 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

We don't have to treat it like a zero sum game though. If the license proves to be profitable, it can help pave the way to an animated movie rather than hinder it. Into the Spider-verse is a perfect example of that. Everyone knows that franchise spits out live action movies and prints money, but eventually someone got off their tail and realized the demand/profitability of an animated take - and we got an awesome film from it.

If the Sonic movie does take in its fair share of $$$, then the single biggest complaint about the film (why isn't it an animated movie) won't just go unnoticed. I'd argue the more profitable it is, the marketable the franchise is, the higher the likelihood of getting that animated film. As opposed to the movie bombing and we wait 10 years before anyone is willing to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

We don't have to treat it like a zero sum game though. If the license proves to be profitable, it can help pave the way to an animated movie rather than hinder it. Into the Spider-verse is a perfect example of that. Everyone knows that franchise spits out live action movies and prints money, but eventually someone got off their tail and realized the demand/profitability of an animated take - and we got an awesome film from it.

If the Sonic movie does take in its fair share of $$$, then the single biggest complaint about the film (why isn't it an animated movie) won't just go unnoticed. I'd argue the more profitable it is, the marketable the franchise is, the higher the likelihood of getting that animated film. As opposed to the movie bombing and we wait 10 years before anyone is willing to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I'm aware that the best chance for a future animated Sonic movie is for this to do well financially. The question is, is funding a product most of us assume is going to be bad really worth that risk? Much as I love Sonic, maybe Hollywood isn't the place for a Sonic movie to be made.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

35 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

I'm aware that the best chance for a future animated Sonic movie is for this to do well financially. The question is, is funding a product most of us assume is going to be bad really worth that risk? Much as I love Sonic, maybe Hollywood isn't the place for a Sonic movie to be made.

If your in the business of making money, which Paramount is, than that is an easy risk to take. Popular/Marketable IP that has shown resiliency in the face of time is an easy horse to hitch your wagon to.

As a Sonic fan, my priorities are different, and I probably wouldn't take that bet. Suffering through mediocrity to get a crack at something good down the line is a fools errand. But I'm not the one putting the startup money into this, so transplanting my ideals and priorities onto the people that are amounts to little more than tiny pittance.

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

If your in the business of making money, which Paramount is, than that is an easy risk to take. Popular/Marketable IP that has shown resiliency in the face of time is an easy horse to hitch your wagon to.

As a Sonic fan, my priorities are different, and I probably wouldn't take that bet. Suffering through mediocrity to get a crack at something good down the line is a fools errand. But I'm not the one putting the startup money into this, so transplanting my ideals and priorities onto the people that are amounts to little more than tiny pittance.

Well, Sonic fans is how we're tackling this issue, no? Personally, I'm not willing to take mediocrity for the chance of something good when it should've been done right the first time, so in that regard, it looks like we're on the same page.

13 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

13 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

With the way this movie is rumored to end, a sequel would have game accurate Robotnik, Tails, and take place in Sonic's world. 

• Thumbs Up 1