Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Has he ever done anything in 3D. They guys good but hes not THAT good yet. But better than me lol. Honestly IF he was doing anything AT all in the film It would probably be the intro or outro in an animated fashion before the jump to the live action.

34 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Has he ever done anything in 3D. They guys good but hes not THAT good yet. But better than me lol. Honestly IF he was doing anything AT all in the film It would probably be the intro or outro in an animated fashion before the jump to the live action.

To his credit, if I'm not mistaken Hesse said he learned everything he knew about animation off the cuff while working on those first few Sonic Mania clips. And that came out pretty good. He's a quick study.

That being said, if he is working on the movie, there are a lot of artistic jobs available there, including a concept and target render creator to help shape the direction of other 3D modelers. Thats probably where his talents would be put to the best use anyway. Creating a consistent and pleasant vision of Sonic to adapt to the big screen.

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

He doesn't have to do the 3D animation! Let the 3D guys do it.

All he has to do is do a good design of Sonic for the movie!

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

To his credit, if I'm not mistaken Hesse said he learned everything he knew about animation off the cuff while working on those first few Sonic Mania clips. And that came out pretty good. He's a quick study.

That being said, if he is working on the movie, there are a lot of artistic jobs available there, including a concept and target render creator to help shape the direction of other 3D modelers. Thats probably where his talents would be put to the best use anyway. Creating a consistent and pleasant vision of Sonic to adapt to the big screen.

id prefer he do the intro as I said. He could do a concept but if he does i hope he can keep it in between live action and some aspect from the game verse and not strictly pull to heavily from the game verse.

Paramount had now replaced the Sonic movie with another movie called Playing with Fire in its November spot which, it’s when the movie was originally supposed to released. 

https://deadline.com/2019/05/a-quiet-place-2-sonic-the-hedgehog-playing-with-fire-paramount-release-dates-1202622152/amp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

So, it’s took just a trailer to get them actually working on an new model, despite the fact, that they send this tweet out back in January. 

I guess they want to wait and see if the fans and general audience like and accept the design that they were originally going with.

Also, here’s Ben’s comments on the online response.:

“I was excited that the trailer came out, and then I just take my strides from Paramount, the human beings that helped do this and even allowed me to even play the role. They said we’re gonna retool it, and I said, ‘Really?’ And they go, ‘Yeah,’ and I said, ‘That’s great.’ I’m excited to see what it looks like ... I feel like they’re going to do a good job playing with it a bit.”

The actor added, “I think it’s cool of them even that they are going to retool it maybe because of feedback, maybe advice from everybody, from director and producers ... they believe in the movie.”

Schwartz said it’s really possible because the CGI is added in during post-production. “I think it’s pretty cool,” he said, adding that he hopes the end product will be something Paramount and audiences “could be more excited about.”

Of course, that still just begs the question, why now?

They've known we've hated the design for months and months now. The fact that people don't like the naked furry gremlin man isn't news. And granted, "sharing feedback" is a super broad term that could encompass a lot of different things, but I simply refuse to believe the design didn't come up in that. They've known Sega doesn't like it either for months now, so, again, why now?

Why do it at the point where it's going to cause a delay by months? And not right before it was too late when the the people who own the character you're making the movie about, general audiences, and fans of the character are telling you, "Hey, this doesn't look good."?

• Thumbs Up 5

12 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

There was always that contingent of hope that people might be more accepting of it once they saw it in motion. That's generally how things like that go. We've seen enough video game early builds usher in that "lets see it in motion" excuse when the graphics don't look up to par. Plus, Apathy sets in over time, so there was also the possibility that people might have gotten used to the ideas behind the design with a bit of help from the clock.

Unfortunately for paramount, Sonic somehow looked worse in motion - which triggered a new wave of emotion - which was the nail in that coffin.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder how much the design change will impact on the marketing? It's probably likely be a lot, because this would make the promotional partners change it to the design that was teased on the new release date picture.:

Spoiler

81Mf2lV9zkL._UY606_.jpg

Puma-Sneakers-Red-Worn-by-Sonic-in-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-3.jpg

D1-UpwUX4AEKfgy.jpg

tumblr_powfozUC9K1rplhyso1_1280.png

gzapdbztzgc21.jpg

D02cxZFXQAAWFOf.jpg

D1a3hd8WkAAjCJt.jpg

3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I wonder how much the design change will impact on the marketing? It's probably likely be a lot, because this would make the promotional partners change it to the design that was teased on the new release date picture.:

Hide contents

81Mf2lV9zkL._UY606_.jpg

Puma-Sneakers-Red-Worn-by-Sonic-in-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-3.jpg

D1-UpwUX4AEKfgy.jpg

tumblr_powfozUC9K1rplhyso1_1280.png

gzapdbztzgc21.jpg

D02cxZFXQAAWFOf.jpg

D1a3hd8WkAAjCJt.jpg

That's what I'm worried about 

7 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

They've known we've hated the design for months and months now. The fact that people don't like the naked furry gremlin man isn't news. And granted, "sharing feedback" is a super broad term that could encompass a lot of different things, but I simply refuse to believe the design didn't come up in that. They've known Sega doesn't like it either for months now, so, again, why now?

Why do it at the point where it's going to cause a delay by months? And not right before it was too late when the the people who own the character you're making the movie about, general audiences, and fans of the character are telling you, "Hey, this doesn't look good."?

I think the reason why they decided to do that is because the whole thing went viral when the first trailer came out.

When the poster was unveiled, while there was a somewhat big negative reaction, it didn't blow up to anywhere near the same proportions as the first trailer did. It was covered by pretty much everyone you'd ever imagine - fans, non-fans, people with big following, Stephen Colbert, a bunch of other late night shows, other mainstream shows, and nearly all of it was in a negative light. It probably got so bad that Paramount might've been hit directly, to the point where they made this decision. Of course, that's only me speculating, but I wouldn't have expected them to do the same if the reaction to the trailer wasn't this big. After all, a huge negative reaction in your address can hit you in the wallet hard.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Ahem. How long has this subforum bern renamed "Green Hills Zone" instead of "Green Hill Zone"?

I’m...surprised they’re actually going to take time to delay the movie to February next year in order to improve Sonic’s design. That’s good, but I don’t think it’s going to change the fact that the story, humour and overall look of the film will still most likely end up being mediocre. Does a better looking Sonic really make a better movie? 

Also, all of the marketing has to be changed now; merchandise, posters, everything has to be updated with the new Sonic design! That’s going to cost money, so add the merchandising cost and now extra time on CGI, possibly reshoots as well...the Sonic movie is probably going to end up costing more than it’s original budget of $90 million. If this ends up doing average numbers at the box office, there definitely won’t be a sequel. 

• Thumbs Up 2

When you put it like that, the redesign and delay sound like more of a face-saving exercise so the creative team and Paramount can preserve their reputation.

So, according to this tweet, TrailerTrack isn’t expecting another trailer until like September or October. They even say that there will likely be one probably released just in time for the upcoming Star Wars movie which will be coming out in December.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

As bad as the design is ignoring the early backlash was probably the sensible choice. Fandoms complain about things so often its easy to dismiss it as a vocal minority and get surprised when your big reveal doesn't win over the sceptics and gets a disaterous reception from the general public.

I'm assuming it's either going to look like the Sonic from the concept poster with Chris Pratt, or it'll just be a Sonic with blue arms and separated eyes.

5 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

As bad as the design is ignoring the early backlash was probably the sensible choice. Fandoms complain about things so often its easy to dismiss it as a vocal minority and get surprised when your big reveal doesn't win over the sceptics and gets a disaterous reception from the general public.

It wasn't JUST the fans who were saying it was bad is the problem.

Hi, I don't want to be rude or something, but have you heard about test screening? I heard it was done January/February, and the test audience showed quite positive reactions.  It seemed 8/10 people enjoyed the movie and the design too.

Doesn't it mean Paramount had "solid reason" to believe in their re-design? I sure like Movie Sonic, but I admit and agree a few tweaks could be done to make him cuter.

I mean, if the majority of your beta-testers says - It's okay. I enjoyed it - Do you expect major negativity? I sure wouldn't.

I'm not a critic, so I dunno 😉

So anybody knows anything about the test screening?

23 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Can I just say, I think this whole "oh they did the right thing by getting fan feedback", and so on is nothing but a load of total bull? They were told this for months, months, and there's still no excuse, because it still went viral the first time, to the point the poster was trending and the hatred towards it was being mentioned on talk shows. It was well known before this point that the design was hated, and instead of listening to the feedback then, instead what they did was constantly go on and on about how people weren't given it a chance, and acting defensive about it, unable to accept the fact that they made a bad design. If I even remember correctly, the director was getting into Twitter Arguments over it and everything. 

If "feedback" really mattered, there wouldn't have been such a massive fight with the makers of the film in the first place about how awful the design looked, and they would've done something in the months they had between the poster, and the trailer release. Yet they didn't bother, and low and behold - the design is despised by everyone, and now the filmmakers, and studio are now backtracking immediately, trying to shit on the design themselves with the #GottaFixFast stuff, and now it's being treated as "oh yeah, you guys right, we're gonna change!". 

They shouldn't deserve brownie points for this. They were told months and months in advance how bad this design looked. They had multiple vocal outcries that extended past the fandom that pointed out how badly this looked from the shadow of the design itself. They were the ones who immediately went on the defensive to claim that it was good, and everyone should give it a chance, and everyone was overreacting. They don't get to do that shit, then pretend that they were listening to feedback all along after they were humiliated by the very design they kept defending looking as hideous as everyone expected.

This is not something done out of love for a fandom, or respect for others, it's done because they got a point blank showing that everyone thought it looked hideous, and that very reaction would've cost them revenue, and tons of it. Not only because so many people probably wouldn't have gone to see it because of how horrid Sonic looked in it, but because there was absolutely, positively no way in hell anyone was going to buy merchandise based on that horrid design, which is likely what they're placing their bank on. It's very clearly a motivation born of business and nothing else. 

The same way EA shouldn't be getting praise and love for fixing Battlefront 2's atrocious bullshit months after the fact when they were told time and time and time again how shit their game design was, Paramount, and the directors of this film shouldn't be rewarded any praise for "listening to feedback" when they very clearly didn't for months, and are only bothering to do it now when it actively risks cutting into their profits.

Yup, it's just another case of "Oh look, a company does damage control to try and fix a problem they shouldn't have allowed to happen in the first place.".

2 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

It wasn't JUST the fans who were saying it was bad is the problem.

Even with some non fans in the mix the hate for the pre-trailer materials is going to look like all the other cases of we hate x change it that productions have to deal with. They took the gamble that they would find an audience and lost now we get to say told you so.

Hesse working on this movie is one of first good things I heard about it.

And then I realized that every second he's working on this trainwreck is time he could spend on Sonic Mania, IDW comics or anything else that actually would be good.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 1

9 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

This is not something done out of love for a fandom, or respect for others, it's done because they got a point blank showing that everyone thought it looked hideous, and that very reaction would've cost them revenue, and tons of it. Not only because so many people probably wouldn't have gone to see it because of how horrid Sonic looked in it, but because there was absolutely, positively no way in hell anyone was going to buy merchandise based on that horrid design, which is likely what they're placing their bank on. It's very clearly a motivation born of business and nothing else. 

Oh right, I forgot, there's something else I wanted to add onto this point - but even in terms of the delay, and redesign - it's a calculated decision. Paramount was heavily relying on the movie's release in November because that then sets up the merchandise sales for Christmas. A massive movie studio like Paramount does not just shift a release date as quickly as they did, and while it's good they did so because it means animators and workers aren't going to experience crunch-time, again - it should not be treated like a sign of good will to the fanbase, the audiences, or even the workers.

The more likely answer is that Paramount calculated how long it would take to redesign Sonic, reedit him into the finished cut (which if the reddit leaks are true - there was a finished cut), and then had to figure out which would lose them more money in the long run. Sonic's design is the crux of their merchandising deals for this movie. They are going to make merchandise on characters like Tom, his girlfriend (whatever the hell her generic name is), the general, the bad robot designs, etc - but the only two characters who will sell this merchandise because frankly, they're the only two anyone gives half a shit about is Sonic, and Eggman.

As I theorised before, Eggman has at least three different designs in this movie, which would just very conveniently slide into making three different action figure variations of when the time comes. Given we know a Baby Sonic toy is also being made, even though he only appears in the movie for a short length of time from what we've heard, I fully believe Paramount are banking on the toy and merchandising sales for this movie as a huge chunk of their profits, and the movie itself was made with this ideal in mind, I see no other reason for garbage like Baby Sonic, and Eggman's generic black labcoat design.

So with all that said, what happens when Paramount realises no one likes this design? Not only do they lose tons and tons of movie ticket sales because no one will likely go see the movie, especially with a beloved character bastardised in it, but when it comes to trying to see the merchandise and toys that they're likely banking on Sonic to carry? Well I'd theorise that the Sonic movie line of action figures wouldn't exactly sell for Christmas, and probably be in a bargain bin by February, no one is gonna want a action figure or T-Shirt of Movie Sonic unless it's for a meme, or to burn it. 

So Paramount likely did a price comparison of how much they would lose if they delay, and redesign Sonic, or if they stick to their guns and go with the original design, I think the more likely answer is delaying the movie and doing a full redesign would make them lose less money than releasing it as is, where they probably projected that it would bomb based on the utter hatred the internet has shown it. I fully believe in terms of Paramount, they're desperately just trying to salvage whatever they can from the movie before it all goes to utter shit.  

• Thumbs Up 6

Just because the changes were done in an entirely profit-driven sense doesn’t mean we shouldn’t support the film. 

• Thumbs Up 1