Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

61731045_2185958111502279_5789489870602764288_n.jpg.b84bd6f89be755d192179d115c4ada90.jpg

Any idea who is the author of this picture? It popped on my FB, and the poster doesn't mention any source and is not sure if it's official. The reverse search leads to only one "accurate" find with saying "the author is Skyeprowler", but I can't find the original anyway. The link on the picture leads to some movie streaming site. 

37 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

61731045_2185958111502279_5789489870602764288_n.jpg.b84bd6f89be755d192179d115c4ada90.jpg

Any idea who is the author of this picture? It popped on my FB, and the poster doesn't mention any source and is not sure if it's official. The reverse search leads to only one "accurate" find with saying "the author is Skyeprowler", but I can't find the original anyway. The link on the picture leads to some movie streaming site. 

Looks too decent/acceptable to be official.

And if it by some miracle is, just take that small 1 extra step and make the arms beige...this isn't a Sonic Boom origin story after all..

• Chuckle 2

Looks like fan art attached to the delay announcement, hand doesn't look like the same style as the rest and I doubt the shoes are going traditional with a brand deal involved.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Witto150 said:

Oh, this is from this guy. BTW, it’s fan made. Also, I wouldn’t mind if he actually look similar like that.

8 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Oh, this is from this guy. BTW, it’s fan made. Also, I wouldn’t mind if he actually look similar like that. 

Okay, thank you 🙂

21 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

This plot probably would suck in any situation, but yeah, a fully animated movie where Sonic actually looks like Sonic would definitely be less repulsive to look at.

While I don't necessarily want a straight adaptation of something like Sonic Adventure, Sonic  has a ton of world, characters, and lore to draw from. It's not impossible to come up with something that's at least interesting, as opposed to just "Sonic X, but live action, and worse".

What you also failed to mention is that they failed to market the movie, like, at all, so that definitely didn't help. You can't just drop a movie into theaters and expect it to get amazing returns, that's not how it works.

For one, the majority of people didn't want Sonic or anyone to use guns. Kids sent in letters to Sega asking for that, sure, but there's a reason they created Gamma specifically for that, because it doesn't fit Sonic as a character. And for two, just because people want something doesn't mean they should accept it if the execution is bad. A lot of people wanted another game like Sonic Adventure, and they got Sonic 2006. That game was terrible, but they asked for more Sonic Adventure, so does that mean you think they should accept it?

So by your logic is kids the majority of Sonics fandom want to see a character use a gun the company should ignore them then by that logic I'd expect to see classic sonic in every future 3d game next to modern

06s faults were not that it was a bad game at all for being adventurous  it was cause Sega RUSHED,SPLIT the team and yuji just randomly up and leaves to make a game about penguins

Just now, Meta77 said:

So by your logic is kids the majority of Sonics fandom want to see a character use a gun the company should ignore them

Yes that is literally the lesson we learned from Shadow's game.

• Thumbs Up 6

What an example, dude.

What kids want isn't the stopping point of what they'll actually settle for, so giving them what they "want" will never be the right thing to do.

• Thumbs Up 2

I apologize for not adding anything myself, but I just scrolled through the last three pages and can't find anything to say on the movie.

The most interesting things talked about were on fanworks vs official releases reception and on Black Doom as a concept.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

So by your logic is kids the majority of Sonics fandom want to see a character use a gun the company should ignore them

Well, Dio just pointed out how that's the exact lesson that we learned from Shadow's game, which, if you remember, wasn't a very good one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe we need to be specific with what we want like I want Sonic with a gun should also have I want it to be built from scratch and not bolted onto a gameplay system that wasn't designed to handle it.

3 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Maybe we need to be specific with what we want like I want Sonic with a gun should also have I want it to be built from scratch and not bolted onto a gameplay system that wasn't designed to handle it.

And that'd be better conceptually, why?

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

06s faults were not that it was a bad game at all for being adventurous  it was cause Sega RUSHED,SPLIT the team and yuji just randomly up and leaves to make a game about penguins

I beg to differ. Even if the game was totally bug free, the story would still have more holes than a giant block of swiss cheese, the aesthetic of the whole game would still be very bland, Sonic characters next to realistic humans would still be weird, I'd still find the whole "Shadow using armed vehicles" idea stupid.

The concept itself was kinda flawed to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

And that'd be better conceptually, why?

It would have a better chance of getting a good game out of it.

Just now, Rabid-Coot said:

It would have a better chance of getting a good game out of it.

It was already a good game.

I like it. That makes it good.

"Sonic characters with guns" isn't an inherently bad idea IMO. It just needs to be done right.

That could be said about anything.

Sonic's gonna get laser guns, just like Mario.

And it'll be a real time action rpg.

3 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

"Sonic characters with guns" isn't an inherently bad idea IMO. It just needs to be done right.

Agreed. And this is the HUGE problem with Sonics fandom. Everyone thinks their view is right.  Many like shadow. Before it was coming out many were looking forward to it but it was a buggy edited game. 06 yet again the story and game were messed up by Sega. The story jumps cause they took so much out. I have people weekly tell me they like the human characters in the series. Some do not. Terms like majority mean noting without proof. But in a fandom where everyone has to be seen as their way or the highway what's one to do.

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

That could be said about anything.

Sonic's gonna get laser guns, just like Mario.

And it'll be a real time action rpg.

*looks around * I'll try it lol

Sonic having a weapon of some kind is hard to justify because he can close the distance between enemies better than most action game characters can. Even in Shadow the Hedgehog they're only not on the redundant side because of the fact that they melt enemy health bars. In that game they kind of function as a hot fix for Heroes's abysmal combat, but what if you don't create that problem for yourself to begin with? A fast paced mobility shooter ala vanquish might be fun, but at that point you've shifted the genre to something else. Kind of silly to think about the characters existing in a game like that after 30 years of them just ramming people, too. Overall it would probably be a better implementarion of the idea though. 

That's not discussing the optics of a Sonic character holding a gun, but this board focuses too much on optics anyway. Much as I don't like the aesthetic, Shadow the Hedgehog was still a game obviously and squarely aimed at Sonic's target audience. I didn't know anyone my age that was put off by the imagery. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Meta77 said:

So by your logic is kids the majority of Sonics fandom want to see a character use a gun the company should ignore them then by that logic I'd expect to see classic sonic in every future 3d game next to modern

That doesn't seem to be the logic that was exposited there at all. There being some kids sending in letters asking for Sonic to use a gun doesn't mean that the majority of all children out there wanted that to be the case, for one. It was certainly something I had never heard of when I was a kid. If the reaction they had to it was to include stuff like Gamma and the SA2 levels for Tails and Eggman than that also means its likely the requests were spread out over the years, which means it's possible they were relatively infrequent and just simply added up over time. 

It's usually up to the company to decide what makes sense to act upon and what to ignore. It's never really a good idea to immediately acquiesce to the requests some people have without taking into account whether or not it's something truly beneficial.  

There's a balance between creative integrity and fan input that needs to be respected here and this movie far and away has done nothing to achieve that from what I can tell. It doesn't even seem like this movie has either of those things to begin with. 

• Thumbs Up 5

5 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

There's a balance between creative integrity and fan input that needs to be respected here and this movie far and away has done nothing to achieve that from what I can tell. It doesn't even seem like this movie has either of those things to begin with.

This movie plot actually seems an awful lot like your typical "my first Sonic fanfic" when you're just a kid, doesn't really have a grasp on the universe/world of the franchise you like, but you still want to make your own story using the characters. I remember as an 8-12 year old I wanted to make my own Sonic game, but those ideas I sketched out on paper consisted of just a bunch of silly mish-mash of ideas..mostly putting Sonic in the world of 'Another World/Out of this world' or 'Heart of Darkness' where Sonic was using the laser gun to kill monsters and solve a lot of the same puzzles as in those games..fun memories, lol.

19 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Is there real evidence that any amount of fans ACTUALLY asked SEGA to give Sonic a gun?

47 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

Is there real evidence that any amount of fans ACTUALLY asked SEGA to give Sonic a gun?

Well, what kind of evidence would you expect? It's either actual letters or emails sent to SEGA, both case it's in SEGA's posession, or it was on a website forum or something..which good luck finding 15 years later.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Well, what kind of evidence would you expect? It's either actual letters or emails sent to SEGA, both case it's in SEGA's posession, or it was on a website forum or something..which good luck finding 15 years later.

It just seems so easy to say, "Fans asked for it."

Did they? Did they really? How many? Does this involve blast processing?

29 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

It just seems so easy to say, "Fans asked for it."

Did they? Did they really? How many? Does this involve blast processing?

We may never know the truth, although I did found this interview back from 2005 (if it is legit): http://cube.gamespy.com/articles/654/654735p1.html

GameSpy: Out of all the characters currently in the Sonic story, why did you choose to focus on Shadow for a new game?

Naka When we took a look at which Sonic characters were popular among fans, Shadow was ranked right behind Sonic. We've also wanted to do a "gun action" game for a while now, and he seemed to be the best fit for that idea. He and Sonic have a very different identity, after all. Finally, as we've been building the Sonic brand, we've had ideas of doing a spin-off series, so perhaps that's what Shadow will lead to.

GameSpy: Many people were initially surprised to see Shadow with a weapon, which is unusual for the Sonic series. Why did you decide to give Shadow the ability to bear arms?

Naka Well, there have been some shooting sequences in the Sonic Adventure games before, but they've been more "stand-and-shoot" style bits. We really wanted to challenge ourselves and do a high-speed gun action game. We decided that Shadow would be the perfect venue by which to try our hand at this genre.

(Well, Shadow definitely didn't lead to a spin-off series..)