Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

10 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Honestly, with everything that has happened, my excitement has gone up and down. The constant negativity and even Paramount conceding has all made me less hyped for the movie

It's still gonna be nice to see Sonic in the big screen

I know what you mean. Kinda sucks to hear everyone dump on something we've been waiting most of our lives for.

Don't worry though. When you're in the theater come February, nothing's gonna take away your excitement. :) I'm hyped, no matter how much negative press this gets.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tino4488 said:

4. Finally, I think Sonic and his world better lend themselves to an animated film in a Pixar-type style. This is if you HAD to make a realistic Sonic, which I saw as an interesting design challenge. I personally don't like cartoony/stylized designs coexisting with live action in movies unless its a key plot point like in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit." That is why I chose to make him a little more like a real animal.    

Umm even in a realistic setting Sonic is not suppose to look flatly like a actual hedgehog, he was never meant to be simply a blue colored animal. Sonic is a anthropomorphic AKA half human & half animal combo type in nature. What you made in my opinion is a even worse take on the character then what the Sonic movie was originally trying to do, and it would never be accepted by the bulk of the fanbase nor even most people who barely know Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Myst said:

I know what you mean. Kinda sucks to hear everyone dump on something we've been waiting most of our lives for.

Kinda sucks to have to dump on something I should've been excited to see, but it is what it is.

• Thumbs Up 8

13 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Kinda sucks to have to dump on something I should've been excited to see, but it is what it is.

Exactly. It almost as if some people think we are just enjoying hating on it... personally it hurts me that we are in a position where we need to heavily criticize it. But that is just the result of what happens when a official product adaptation is given poor/misguided treatment by a company, especially when it is done by a outsourced team who think they know better then both the fans and the original creators themselves.

When some people can't understand that people are harsher on something that they actually would be excited for had the situation been different.

Half n Half.

There's just no understanding the negative.

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Kills me inside that I hate it, but that's just life, I suppose. Not all dreams are meant to be.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

Kills me inside that I hate it, but that's just life, I suppose. Not all dreams are meant to be.

The way I see it, the biggest fans are the harshest critics. Whereas fanboys/casual fans are usually satisfied with pretty much anything, as long as its official.

42 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Here are some responses from one of the artists who is working on the new model.:

Gotta love these claims when they say "This is 70% improved over the previous version!"

How the hell does that work when it comes to art which is totally subjective?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Here are some responses from one of the artists who is working on the new model.:

Hm. Those tweets talk about a non-real design that some people were mistaking for the new redesign? What was it even?

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Hm. Those tweets talk about a non-real design that some people were mistaking for the new redesign? What was it even?

That would be this.

Spoiler

Image result for sonic movie redesign

• Chuckle 2

1 hour ago, Razule said:

That would be this.

Hide contents

Image result for sonic movie redesign

Hahaa! But that is clearly a fan design. Surely NOT TO MANY people thought it was official did they? ...Sigh.

4 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Gotta love these claims when they say "This is 70% improved over the previous version!"

How the hell does that work when it comes to art which is totally subjective?

Except when it is based on the standards and expectations set by the previous reactive audience.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:15 PM, BaronGrackle said:

I mean, let's not get carried away here.

https://www.gamecrate.com/sonic-hedgehog-movie-all-clues-and-easter-eggs-you-might-have-missed-trailer/22907

Quills! That's an easter egg, because reasons.

Ring portals! Easter egg.

Sonic may be an alien! So... easter egg?

Brown giant desert mushrooms! That's definitely an easter egg for Brown Mushroom Desert Zone.

Robotnik looks accurate in one scene! That's totally easter egg.

It's all totally overwhelming fanservice, right? And oh! I didn't even mention that Sonic's a blue talking hedgehog. That's gotta be worth, like, eight more easter eggs or something.

The ring portal is definitely a reference - as I saw people who had no idea what that is despite they played the games. Come on, Special stage?

There is a theory that Game Sonic is an Alien too (to his own world). And as far as I know, it's kinda official SA1, SA2, Unleashed and many similar games happened in a world of humans while Forces happens in Sonic's home world/dimension. I don't know where it was stated or by who, but it was somebody involved with development and Sega. So the movie uses the same base.

The mountain of shoe referred to SatAM episode where Uncle Chuck lets Sonic test is latest shoes after Sonic destroyed many of them 😉

Uhh...meow - That is a throwback to Sonic X when Chris calls his mom to say he saved a cat and not blue, talking hedgehog.

Those big mushrooms seem like fine easter egg to me.

The quills are also interesting. All the time it seemed Sonic had only like 7-8 quills, but this "confirms" Sonic has quills like normal hedgehogs, they are just in a "cluster" of big shapes (simple animation, save times rendering,...). The same suggests Boom Sonic who has some "loose" quills among his main clusters 😉

Oh... in the military scene where are people sitting around the table there is one older person on the left. I'm absolutely bad with names, but this person was involved with SatAM or the other kid's cartoon - It's even confirmed by this person... So...

So... nothing here counts?

What type of Easter Eggs do you want? All of those feel fine to me.

And I hope you checked the comment on that page that shows even more Easter Eggs and references 😉

44 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

The ring portal is definitely a reference - as I saw people who had no idea what that is despite they played the games. Come on, Special stage?

There is a theory that Game Sonic is an Alien too (to his own world). And as far as I know, it's kinda official SA1, SA2, Unleashed and many similar games happened in a world of humans while Forces happens in Sonic's home world/dimension. I don't know where it was stated or by who, but it was somebody involved with development and Sega. So the movie uses the same base.

The mountain of shoe referred to SatAM episode where Uncle Chuck lets Sonic test is latest shoes after Sonic destroyed many of them 😉

Uhh...meow - That is a throwback to Sonic X when Chris calls his mom to say he saved a cat and not blue, talking hedgehog.

Those big mushrooms seem like fine easter egg to me.

The quills are also interesting. All the time it seemed Sonic had only like 7-8 quills, but this "confirms" Sonic has quills like normal hedgehogs, they are just in a "cluster" of big shapes (simple animation, save times rendering,...). The same suggests Boom Sonic who has some "loose" quills among his main clusters 😉

Oh... in the military scene where are people sitting around the table there is one older person on the left. I'm absolutely bad with names, but this person was involved with SatAM or the other kid's cartoon - It's even confirmed by this person... So...

So... nothing here counts?

What type of Easter Eggs do you want? All of those feel fine to me.

And I hope you checked the comment on that page that shows even more Easter Eggs and references 😉

I can't help but feel like you're reaching with some of those easter eggs, especially the references to SatAM and Sonic X. And we don't want the stuff we like about Sonic reduced to easter eggs, we want it front and center!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

I can't help but feel like you're reaching with some of those easter eggs, especially the references to SatAM and Sonic X. And we don't want the stuff we like about Sonic reduced to easter eggs, we want it front and center!

I'm not good at spotting them, but those are Easter eggs I found about on the Internet. Are they fake? Overthinking? That's up to as to decide.

I write stories, and I have a reader who told me I have an Easter Egg there when my MC messed an idiom that is something one character from anime do. I never intended for this to be an Easter Egg. I don't even know that anime. So is it one or not? The reader saw it as one, for me it's a coincidence - but it still made me happy.

So, what do you like about Sonic? Character - Seems to be spot on. Action - the missile and chase scene seemed fine. Puns/chatterbox - Seems okay to me too. Voice - I have no problem. Adventure - We will visit many places on Earth (Big cities, forest, desert, maybe even military stronghold, Robotnik's hi-tech lab, ...) and adventure is about traveling. Character growth - It's hinted there are similar scenes as well. Getting stronger - Sonic's speed is supposed to evolve during the movie. Design - I'm fine with it, and a lot of artists tried to draw him and find out this choice isn't that half-bad as people claim. It has its flaws, but who doesn't?

On 6/14/2019 at 6:29 PM, Tarnish said:

You forgot that the title of the movie is an easter egg that references the character, the franchise and the first game in the franchise as well. 3 EASTER EGGS  IN 1!!! 

So what is an Easter Egg to you?

Edit: I'm not sure if this counts as an Easter Egg, but the text "Every Hero has a genesis" is the same as in Bumblebee trailer "Every hero has a beginning". I have seen the trailer just now. Which reminds me Robotnik's truck is called an easter egg too as it resembles one of the car-bot 😉 And the genesis refers to the console where Sonic started... so I guess just another useless reference that is a complete misunderstanding!

Edited by Witto150
Added an Easter Egg

9 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

Are they fake? Overthinking?

Pretty totally definitely certainly overthinking.

100% coincidental, not intentional.

2 hours ago, Witto150 said:

Edit: I'm not sure if this counts as an Easter Egg, but the text "Every Hero has a genesis" is the same as in Bumblebee trailer "Every hero has a beginning". I have seen the trailer just now. Which reminds me Robotnik's truck is called an easter egg too as it resembles one of the car-bot 😉 And the genesis refers to the console where Sonic started... so I guess just another useless reference that is a complete misunderstanding!

It feels like we're back in 2013 and are learning that the writers know next to nothing of the franchise beyond what you can skim on a Wiki. "He's blue, he's a hedgehog who runs fast and wears red shoes, he's a video game, he started on the..."

I'm not handing out brownie points for the bare minimum. Easter Eggs don't make up for the bad writing.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Witto150 said:

This is actually more of a reference to the Archie Comics than any game. Sonic in the games collects rings as health first and foremost, as a key to accessing bonus stages and powering his super forms second, as a currency in a lot of other games, and as a speed and acceleration boost in racing games. The Rings being used as portals and teleportation from place to place is more akin to the Warp Rings primarily used by the Echidnas in in the Archie Comics, and most notably Finitevus; a well known villain amongst Archie Sonic fans. That's a pretty deep cut for a main franchise element that is always front and center for the most part and goes well outside of it's most iconic use. While it's probably important for the story of the movie as they are telling it (really I'd argue for collecting enough rings to create a ring portal to jump worlds would be more game accurate and not make rings more over powered than they are), it probably would have worked better to just use them like in SatAM and Sonic X where they are just a temporary powerup as those shows are still freshly talked about even to this day. Finitevus and warp rings are a little too deep for most people and hence the confusion and lack of knowledge on the part of many.

I get that you are trying to be positive for the movie, and I think you should be if you are truly happy with what you have seen, but I'm curious what are you trying to accomplish by convincing other people to do that same. If you're just looking for a place to share your enthusiasm this tumblr https://sonicpositive.tumblr.com/post/185644409409/i-remember-the-first-time-i-ever-saw-a-sonic-game is a great place to go and to my knowledge they know a few other places as well. And no, I'm not trying to chase you off either, I'm just offering a suggestion based on a possible reason for your insistence that everyone be as positive about this movie as you, even those who don't like. That's kind of a tall order and seems really unfair to the opinions of others.

As for me, I've given this movie so many chances now it's ridiculous. Even after a producer was quoted off record as saying the movie is about "a small town coming together to help the sheriff save Sonic from the government" I was willing to give it a chance. Even after all of the leaks I was willing to give it a chance. Even after how appalled I was with the motion poster I was willing to give it a chance. Even after reading the Tim miller interview where he defended ignoring the IP holder for "his" vision of what the character needs to be, an unproven vision that had no concept of why the character was popular and has such wide visual appeal, I still gave this movie a chance. Then the trailer came and watching Sonic's glutes move under his fur and skin while he was stretching was one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen. And that was followed by more wrong, after wrong, including the unnecessary use of the "gotta go fast" line (there's an actual easter egg) that is used to make fun of the franchise in the first place, and of course Sonic, having electricity powers that exist absolutely nowhere in the franchise beyond a shield from Sonic 3&K that let's you jump twice that he can use to emp the entire Pacific Northwest. That is not the SOnic I grew up with and see Sega put out year after year after year.. But it doesn't end there. Did you notice not a single character in the entire trailer is ever named? Not even Sonic himself. Why didn't that trailer at any point at least have Sonic's iconic finger wag, or his James Bond riffing introduction line of "I'm Sonic, Sonic the Hedgehog"?

I get being positive for something you like, but I'm also of the understanding that you are harshest on the things you love, and nearly 450 pages of talk about this movie should tell you how much we love Sonic here. And before you ask me the rather condescending question of if I would like this movie more if it was animated (cg, hand drawn, etc.) let me tell you plain and simple, no. This movie has shown me no wonder, no sense of adventure and discovery, no ancients artifacts and the conflicts that ensue between Sonic and Eggman over them, no fantastical locations that could only exist in fiction (no a heap of giant lifeless brown mushrooms is not fantastical too me). The presentation of this movie, the advertising, the words of the producers and studio, the words of the early script writers, none of it has convinced me that this is Sonic the Hedgehog and no amount of being told to be positive or respect the creator's vision (funny how the movie team isn't doing that either) will change that, nor will just fixing Sonic's model or going fully animated regardless of the problem behind the concept of making an impossible cartoon character real world believable. Cause believe it or not, but I absolutely hate that mentality that something can only be believable if it has realistic visuals. That is a load of garbage that completely ignores the importance of acting, writing, and directing to weave together a story that you can effected by. Sure if you show a person get hit by a truck and show every last detail of the effect it has you will react because you understand the connotations of being hit by a truck and it's awful. But what about having somebody being bitten by a corpse turning into a walking corpse themselves. It's not particularly believable without good writing, acting, and directing to sell you that it is happening to the characters that your watching or reading about, and that is regardless of being live action or otherwise. Just jumping to the conclusion that visually realistic makes everything more believable is utter hogwash and disrespects the entire art of storytelling.

So now you probably want to ask what I would do if I was tasked with making a live action Sonic movie (or maybe any Sonic movie of any kind). Well, believe it or not but I've played on that a number of times already in this thread. But before I repeat myself again, first allow me to explain to you how unnecessary I find the entire setting of this movie to a Sonic story.

Tom is a small town cop who is married and believes he can make it as a big town cop. That is Tom's story arc and he will never experience it being with Sonic in any form because under no circumstances does Sonic's adventures allow Tom to see that he can make as a big town cop. Sonic's very existence by nature has to put Tom on a different character arc, and his desire to prove he can be a big town cop is never addressed. that is bad storytelling made possible by not paying attention to the reality that Sonic's introduction to Tom's life brings. In other words, Sonic actually ruins Tom's character arc and ability to accurately pursue his desires. But you know what, Tom doesn't have a bad story or set up. With a little change here or there you can tell a cool family story about friendship, the importance of family, and get Tom to see he has what it takes.
Just to give you an example to how I would tell a story for Tom, give him and his wife a kid who's a runner in school (nickname Sonic if you want to pinpoint how fast he is) and have them travelling to San Francisco for a national track meet. Now along the way, even starting in their small town, they get involved with a drug deal gone totally sideways and Tom has to balance family matters (his kid getting to and competing in the track meet) while having the opportunity to prove he can handle big town cop work. Along the way gets involved with a PI also investigating this crime ring who he bonds with throughout the movie and the two of them have each others back even as the FBI eventually gets involved because it turns out it was that big of a mess. Naturally his family gets involved but somehow or anther they manage to wrap things up in a happy ending and Tom now knows he can be small town cop, a big town cop, and even keep pace with the FBI. he knows his skills as a cop are good enough, and he also bonded deeper with his family and made a life long friend over the course of this movie who helped him see how much he has. And there you have the basis for a great story about Tom the small town cop who believes he can do more as a cop. You follow his character arc with his motivation and desire as a core component and at no point does that require alien transdimensional hedgehog pull off, nor does it benefit Sonic in anyway.

So now, that get's us to Sonic and what type of movie I would tell with him.
To begin, let's consider that this movie is supposed to be both an origin for Sonic himself as he is primarily known (the game version) and that it is also supposed to introduce new fans to the IP as it currently exists. You then also should find that Sonic's bizarre world is kind of hard to swallow so you are probably going to need an audience surrogate who is human, this is something I don't actually disagree with as I understand the need for it. However you have to make your audience surrogate relatable.

So, let's start putting together a story now. I like using Indiana Jones as my foundation because I find there are plenty of parallels to Sonic (adventuring hero faces off against mad scientist who wants ancient artifact to rule the world, sounds familiar huh). First off we'll need to establish Sonic even before we worry about the believability of the world as he is the main character and the story is about him. To that we should take what we know about him from the games where according to the Japanese manuals he is already the most famous hedgehog in the world when we start and that him and Eggman also have been going at it since long before Sonic went to South Island to answer the inhabitants plea for help. From Sonic 2 we also know that Sonic is a pilot and has his own plane, the Tornado, and is a staunch adventurer with knowledge about ancient legends and civilizations. He is also a bit of a daredevil who has a strong sense of justice and prefers living life by his own rules. That's an awful lot to cover, but you also have to address that he is open to letting other follow him if thy can which is how Tails is able to establish his friendship with Sonic (this again justifies the need for a secondary protagonist for Sonic to interact with).

Knowing where we have to get to with Sonic let's use an easter egg to get things started, but also lets go for a cohabitation world between anthros and humans so Sonic is not completely unprecedented in the world and our audience surrogate can interact with him as an actual person instead of an alien lifeform to help make him more believable (notice we're not going with like a real world creature for believable as a description but being someone you can actually talk to because it should be normal in the story so the audience believes that it is normal making believable without gimmicks). Now back to that easter egg, and Indiana Jones as our base inspiration (a successful Hollywood film by the way that is action, adventure, and comedy just like Sonic), we'll start the movie with an elderly gent who runs the ancient peoples and anthropology department of some famous university set in post space age tech era inspired from the real world time period between WWI and WWII (or the biplane era as I like to call it as I think about movies like The Mummy and Porco Rosso) who is going through the library and notices that dust has been kicked up all over the place and complains about that blasted hedgehog messing with his stuff again before deciding cucumber sandwich will calm his nerves. From here cut to a private hanger and airstrip where a private pilot finds Sonic sitting in the cockpit of one of his biplanes flicking through the books he's "borrowed" and have them call out Sonic for his love of adventure and exploring ancient overgrown and forgotten civilizations. Now you can have Sonic talk about what he loves about it such as the juxtaposition of manmade works being taken over by nature which he stoutly supports, testing his speed against the traps and dangers of the old ruins, and so on while superimposing this dialog over scenes of Sonic doing those very things. Now the pilot can comment on Sonic likely needing a plane and deciding that he'll just give Sonic the one he trained him to fly on just so he doesn't have to fly him anymore but warning him that he'll have to find his own mechanic (a hint of meeting Tails later on in the games). Sonic is grateful and soon has the plane painted red with his name on the sides and heads off for his next adventure.

At this point we have a movie beginning and characters interacting with Sonic and also showing that he is part of the world at large as a natural element that just is (yeah we didn't touch on his speed but Sonic get's his name from his speed and it isn't a necessary element to break down to me), but the audience isn't feeling pulled in yet because Sonic is pretty aloof and despite being accepted in story we have a human bias that makes it difficult for most people to relate to a meter tall anthropomorphic blue hedgehog who flies planes and runs at the speed of sound. That means it's time to bring in our audience surrogate and expand the world a little. But what makes for a good audience surrogate. Obviously being human is a good first step to deal with that human bias problem from above, but there are so many people who are so different that you can't just slap any old human in. You have to consider your audience (young boys for Sonic plus a thirty year established audience) and also how they fit into the world to tie everything together. Well, lets go with those themes of friendship and family and take a character who has to learn them while also showing the good and bad of Sonic's love of freedom. For this, lets take an 18 year old loner who's been having family issues at home, finds out their friends aren't really their friends, and has made a mess with an intimate relationship because of all of their problems. Instead of trying to make things right, they are under a lot if emotional duress they decide to just get away from it all and join the military. But they want more freedom than a regular military allows for and joins the paramilitary peacekeeping corps. the Guardian Unit of Nations (G.U.N). There desire to get away and experience a sense of freedom ends up with them joining an artifact seek and collection team whose sole purpose is to find and collect artifacts that could endanger the world. They naturally have trust issues with their squad at first and that is their status quo going forward as we use a contrivance for the sake of the plot and send them on their first major mission to where Sonic just so happens to went to explore.

Now that we have our audience surrogate who is young enough to be in over their head while also being relatable to a younger audience, and in a position that many adults can also understand, we need to bring in the Eggman. With Eggman I'm kind of partial to his Japanese name being both the name he is known as but also an alias to his western name of Robotnik. I also am a fan of Eggman having a disdain for G.U.N for the death of his grandfather and pretty much crippling the world's technological progress. That setup results in me having him starting the movie as a G.U.N scientist who specializes in the artifact division and after years of work proving the worth of his robots and ability to descipher the powers and abilities of ancient artifacts he has been allowed to take a team and go pursue one particularly dangerous one. Contrivances again, but this is a story so we need a few of them, puts him in charge of the audience surrogate's squad for going to the same place as Sonic.

Moving the plot along and wrapping up this long meandering tirade, at the home of these ruins we join Sonic having a blast exploring the ruins that house the plot McGuffin and eventually finding said artifact. Sonic has no use for it and thinks it's cool just to have found but otherwise leaves it alone to go find other traps to test his speed against. meanwhile, as Eggman and the audience surrogate get to the ruins and discovers that the traps have already been tripped and are harmless Eggman betrays G.U.N revealing his plan for revenge against G.U.N by way of world conquest using the artifact for what they did to his grandfather and the world and sets his robots on the audience surrogate's team. They end up driven into the jungle where the audience surrogate's own attitude problems results in him being abandoned by his team. They figure they're doomed until they encounters Sonic. Pleading with Sonic to save him or at least deal with Eggman they end up just annoying Sonic who doesn't take what they are saying seriously and figures that the ruin's traps will defend the artifact and that the audience surrogate's team won't truly abandon them. Sonic decides to help out though when his own sense of justice gets set off by Eggman razing the forest and destroying the ruin to make sure that the G.U.N soldiers are properly dealt with. Sonic challenges Eggman alone at first, but knowing nothing about him the element of surprise does him only so much good before he gets bested by Eggman's robots. Believing Sonic bested, Eggman leaves on his own personal aircraft and Sonic is rescued by the audience surrogate who still needs help getting out of eth burning jungle and back to safety. Sonic figures that he will need help at least learning about Eggman so he can do better in his next encounter and pay the doc back for what he did to the jungle. The audience surrogate figures their squad would know more than them and they and Sonic track down and rescue the squad before departing the jungle to face down Eggman in the movie's climax. You could then wrap things up from by showing the audience surrogate going home and resolving things with their family and friends due to what they learnt from their encounter with Sonic while also cherishing their G.U.N family. Sonic meanwhile has saved eth world from Eggman and is enjoying the fame and recognition before heading off in search off his next adventure hoping it will be as exciting and great a learning experience as this one was. Lastly, Eggman having ousted his own identity and been thwarted plans revenge against Sonic as part of his world conquest schemes and vows to return again. Finally the credits roll and you can use them to show highlights of possible future encounters ending with a post credit scene of Sonic finding out about the troubles on South Island with a message inviting you to track down the original game.

Anyway, that was a really long wall of text that was probably fairly superfluous for the most part, but I hope at the very least it helps you see that at least some of us have really, really, thought about why this doesn't work and what could work for us without disregarding what works for Hollywood. Indiana Jones has far more parallels to what Sonic is for a Hollywood movie and should have been the blueprint if veering away from the games rather than a buddy cop road trip where Sonic's presence actually hinders development through the characters' own desires and pursuing them.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

The Rings being used as portals and teleportation from place to place is more akin to the Warp Rings primarily used by the Echidnas in in the Archie Comics...

Sonic 3D Blast makes it a thing that Flickies use Giant Rings to warp from place to place.

Though even disregarding the Special Stage nonsense, Sonic 3&K establish that Giant Rings do just warp to places. Since the giant rings in the 2nd half all send you to the Emerald Altar.

Sonic Advance 3 also has its Giant Rings that just Warp you somewheres.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think anyone's hating on the portal rings. It's one of the few elements that feel connected to the original universe... even better than an "easter egg". It's appropriate.

If that mindset were followed throughout, we'd see less focus on electric quills and more focus on Chaos Emeralds or animal-powered badniks.

8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic 3D Blast makes it a thing that Flickies use Giant Rings to warp from place to place.

Though even disregarding the Special Stage nonsense, Sonic 3&K establish that Giant Rings do just warp to places. Since the giant rings in the 2nd half all send you to the Emerald Altar.

Sonic Advance 3 also has its Giant Rings that just Warp you somewheres.

Though none of them are carriable by Sonic and friends. When they do collect a giant ring it just ends up as fifty regular rings and possesses no teleportation powers. I probably should have detailed that part since typically the Warp Rings from Archie are carried on one's person and can be used anywhere like what the trailer shows, while the giant rings in the game are stationary, travel to fixed locations and not one of your own choosing, when collected lose their teleportation powers and become fifty rings, and are not always collectable. It's a pretty big difference and having to say that the giant rings are the basis for rings in the movie and then calling that an easter egg is kind of weird. I probably could have worded it better to be sure, but the rings in the movie make me think of Finitevus' Warp Rings and not Special Stage rings because the Warp Rings are the only rings in the franchise I know of that behave like the ones in the movie. Even when I first heard about the rings in the movie from the leaks that's where my mind went and I'm not even an Archie Sonic fan.

It's not weird to assume that it's just a similar adaptational liberty based on how the Giant Rings work.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

It's not weird to assume that it's just a similar adaptational liberty based on how the Giant Rings work.

Yeah referencing a idea in another form of media doesn't mean it must be exactly the same in order to count as a reference to a different older related piece of media. However I wouldn't count the teleporting rings in the movie as Easter eggs regardless as they are being used as a actual plot point in the movie to some degree. My opinion is Easter eggs are semi-hidden jokes or non-focused on references outside of the main plot.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Yeah referencing a idea in another form of media doesn't mean it must be exactly the same to in order to count as a reference to another older related piece of media. However I wouldn't count the teleporting rings in the movie as Easter eggs regardless as they are being used as a actual plot point in the movie to some degree. My opinion is Easter eggs are semi-hidden jokes or non-focused on references outside of the main plot.

Yes... and people who hate the criticisms should understand that this isn't one of the complaints. Plot references are EVEN BETTER than easter eggs. The only reason we're talking about easter eggs is because it was offered up as an alternative to the straight references, with defenders telling people to look for game-related easter eggs.