Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, Myst said:

I don't care, I'm still excited for this. This may be the only opportunity we have to see Sonic on the big screen. I'm going to totally geek out come February.

It is kinda funny how angry the internet has gotten over this though. It's a kids movie for pete's sake. If it sucks, it sucks. Big deal. Not like it would be the first bad movie geared towards children.

I mean. I'll probably rent it. We actually like Chipmunks 2 and 3.

3 minutes ago, Myst said:

I don't care, I'm still excited for this. This may be the only opportunity we have to see Sonic on the big screen. I'm going to totally geek out come February.

It is kinda funny how angry the internet has gotten over this though. It's a kids movie for pete's sake. If it sucks, it sucks. Big deal. Not like it would be the first bad movie geared towards children.

Just because it's a kids movie doesn't mean it has an excuse for bad quality. Also I was initially optimistic about this film. I'm just trying to look at this rationally (and also just having an opinion).

2 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Not only that but apparently the DELAY/REDESIGN WAS PLANNED AHEAD OF TIME EVEN BEFORE THE TRAILER RELEASED, 

Well that would explain how quickly Fowler announced they were 'fixing' Sonic. 

And the shoelaces gag sounds cute.

6 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Just because it's a kids movie doesn't mean it has an excuse for bad quality. Also I was initially optimistic about this film. I'm just trying to look at this rationally (and also just having an opinion).

Its cool. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm going to remain optimistic until I see it in the theater for myself, though.

The test screenings went over pretty well from what I've heard around twitter, and both Reddit AMAs said they liked the film, so there's that. I think it will probably bomb with critics, but have a mixed reception from moviegoers.

43 minutes ago, Myst said:

And it won't be the last if people just "who cares" their way through legit criticism for half a year.

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Well that would explain how quickly Fowler announced they were 'fixing' Sonic.

That's not how I remember it. The first thing people were spitting out was that the decision to change Sonic took too long, that it should "never made it out of test screening" kind of obvious.

I think the majority of people would think they were too slow, rather than too fast.

That is sad. That shouldn't be how you get publicity for your movie -- deliberately making your product look as bad as possible to get people talking, so you could "fix it" later on 

I don't think they intentionally made the design bad though.

The post in question is from January. Maybe the inital backlash to the legs poster that debuted in December scared Paramount into changing it. Thus, the production team never really gave the existing design extra work and polish because they knew a new one was already in the works. Resulting in the meow heard 'round the world.

The production team might've gone through with the original design they had in mind, and refined it a bit to look just right if fans just gave it a chance and hadn't been pissing on it since day one. (There's shots in the trailer where Sonic's model looks unfinished)

This whole story is weird though. Why not just, NOT show a trailer until the design is done? Why intentionally make your $90 million dollar movie a joke? Why release FOUR posters of a design they intended to scrap all along?

It increased awareness of the movie, anyway.

I know some people like Myst are looking forward to the movie. I’m ok with that and I’m glad they are excited. However, attacking and mocking people because they don’t like it isn’t going to make things better. I’m also excited and looking forward to watching the movie despite the negatively. I try to be optimistic. I’m sure this will ended up to be an fun movie to watch. I hope we get some good news real soon.

12 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Hey remember that Owl storyboard leak? I found the original source for the image. It actually came before the Reddit AMA leak (the one that also mentioned the owl):

https://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/108515715/

They said it's going to be "a total shitshow" and that Carrey's performance isn't that great. However they haven't read the entire script or the finalized script. They also said there's a running gag throughout the film of Sonic tripping on his shoelaces. Not only that but apparently the DELAY/REDESIGN WAS PLANNED AHEAD OF TIME EVEN BEFORE THE TRAILER RELEASED, and they almost pushed it to January rather than February (when a film releases in January that usually means the film is bad, and the company knows it's bad, and it won't perform highly in box office).

I also found the original source for that test screening image leak. They said the movie is likely to be PG-13.

WARNING: THEY BRING UP A POTENTIAL MAJOR SPOILER:

https://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/117462252/

No offense, and not to suck my own dick, but I'm surprised nobody looked into any of this. Again, that storyboard leak with the owl came before the Reddit AMA leak which basically confirmed its validity. These leaks weren't that hard to find either.

That leak is most likely fake. I wouldn’t believe it. This had Sonic’s scrapped design for the movie. Just keep in mind that the leak is from 4chan. Usually leaks from that site ended up being fake.

Lol... C'mon... These are the most obviously bullshit "leaks" I have ever seen. Don't even entertain them. This is a light-hearted family film. Jim Carrey's wacky Robotnik is not going to murder a woman and send Sonic into a depression haha.

And of course the design backlash wasn't planned. The internet is a silly place...

I want to repeat this again because it seems like people are focusing on the bullshit leak (which I didn't think was real either), rather than the other one I posted:

That owl storyboard was leaked BEFORE the Reddit AMA test screening leak which also claimed that the owl would be featured in the film. This is a person claiming that the movie will be "a complete shitshow", and that Carrey's performance is bad. They also hint that the redesign was planned even before Fowler announced that they were redesigning and delaying the movie (it almost got a January date, and usually when a film releases in January, it means that the company knows it's bad).

1547521513579.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I want to repeat this again because it seems like people are focusing on the bullshit leak (which I didn't think was real either), rather than the other one I posted:

That owl storyboard was leaked BEFORE the Reddit AMA test screening leak which also claimed that the owl would be featured in the film. This is a person claiming that the movie will be "a complete shitshow", and that Carrey's performance is bad. They also hint that the redesign was planned even before Fowler announced that they were redesigning and delaying the movie (it almost got a January date, and usually when a film releases in January, it means that the company knows it's bad).

1547521513579.jpg

"Carrey's Eggman is surprisingly faithful to the original design visually, but don't expect any good characterization beyond Carrey's usual wackiness that he plays in nearly every movie."

- We know that isn't the case AT ALL regarding his appearance though. He looks nothing like Eggman. The classic look was wedged in at the end, rumour has it because of a test screening reaction?

"I know some basic plot stuff and little bits of script and even pre-vis stuff I've seen and that's it."

- Then by this point, we've seen more of the movie than he has.

By the looks of things, he was probably a runner or someone on set who got to see a bit of storyboard (where Eggman was drawn in the classic style from what we've seen elsewhere) and a plot outline, possibly some raw footage, and is basing it on that.

The one interesting bit is the redesign. Where as I don't think it was planned, I don't think they were confident in it either (how could you be??! Haha) Hence keeping it hidden for so long and promptly announcing a redesign. The studio probably knew it was on the cards.

Overall, thanks for the link. You're right, I didn't read it properly first time. Apologies.

I still call mostly bullshit on it. We've seen more than he had and I think, hidious design aside, it looks okay.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 6/29/2019 at 11:29 AM, Myst said:

San Diego Comic-Con starts July 18.. I wonder if we'll get a reveal of Sonic's new look for the movie?

I think there could be a chance...

15 hours ago, Myst said:

I'm with you all the way to the end, my friend. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

I think, hidious design aside, it looks okay.

I do too. That's kind of why I'm posting this as well. I want this movie to surprise us, but I'm scared.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hopefully we will get some news at maybe Comic-Con. Not sure if we will see Sonic’s new design there. If they got nothing new to show there maybe they might show the Robotnik footage that CinemaCon and CineEurope showed.

I’m going to be cautiously optimistic. So, I hope this new design impressed me.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Hopefully we will get some news at maybe Comic-Con. Not sure if we will see Sonic’s new design there. If they got nothing new to show there maybe they might show the Robotnik footage that CinemaCon and CineEurope showed.

I’m going to be cautiously optimistic. So, I hope this new design impressed me.

Dude, like me, you have been psyched for this movie for so long. Don't let internet negativity drag you down. We'll get a new design soon. We probably don't even need to be cautious with our optimism :)

I'm sure we will get something at SDCC.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

Dude, like me, you have been psyched for this movie for so long. Don't let internet negativity drag you down. We'll get a new design soon. We probably don't even need to be cautious with our optimism :)

Live-Action Sonic, What a wonderful phrase

Live-Action Sonic, There's no Pontaff to see

It mean's no Classic

Sonic in this film

It's Our Zavok-free, philosophy..

Hakuna No-Wisp-a!

Nice to see someone else positive about this.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

It mean's no Classic

Sonic in this film

Baby Sonic tho

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Razule said:

Baby Sonic tho

Don't forget Sonic flossing.

That sure won't date it.

• Chuckle 1

2 hours ago, Razule said:

Baby Sonic tho

That was done for storytelling and not pandering.

1 minute ago, DreamSaturn said:

Don't forget Sonic flossing.

That sure won't date it.

Hmm... 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

Yea, I know, just hope that this new design doesn’t disappointed me. However, I think you are right. The new Movie Sonic design will be probably a lot better. I also think that this movie will be fun movie to enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

We probably don't even need to be cautious with our optimism :)

Choke'd on my Soda when I read that. No Lie.

Its adorable tho. God knows how far removed I am from that mentality. Now it's all, "I'm tough on you because I care".

• Promotion 1

6 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Choke'd on my Soda when I read that. No Lie.

Its adorable tho. God knows how far removed I am from that mentality. Now it's all, "I'm tough on you because I care".

Haha I know it's not a popular opinion, but all I know is this movie, plot wise and humour wise, looks exactly like what I expected from the day it was announced and we started seeing behind-the-scenes shots from that town. 

I've been playing these games since 1991 (old man Ryan over here!) and I'm still fine with what they're doing here.

Sure, I'd rather some high-budget 2D or 3D fully-animated movie, but I still know I'm gonna have a blast watching this non-canon silliness in the cinema - if they fix the fuckin' design haha (which they are doing, and I have faith in it if Tyson Hesse is doing it!*)

*Deep down half expecting to eat those words when they reveal another crap design which is basically the same with slightly larger eyes and gloves.

1 hour ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

So if this is to be believed, it sounds like they may just be giving him slightly larger eyes and gloves.

Which...if this is true, it doesn't really change my mind on the movie at all? I still think it all sounds like total and complete garbage, just with a Sonic that's slightly less horrifying to look at now.

I probably wouldn’t take what some random twitter person says as fact. Take this with a grain of salt, as usual.