Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Tim Miller on Sonic’s redesign for the movie.:

You’re an executive producer on “Sonic the Hedgehog,” which was also due out in November but pushed to redesign the main character after fans protested. How was that experience?

When “Sonic” arrived, the director, Jeff Fowler, was the best guy to do it. The redesign? Look, I was with fans and so was Jeff. This is a franchise, and it has to be great. When the s–t hit the fan, I went over there and said, “The most important thing to do, man, is say, ‘I f–ked up.’” He’d already sent a tweet out an hour before I got there. He’s a good man. It was exactly the right way to handle that. The fans have a voice in this too. There’s a right way to listen. 

Have you seen any of the character redesign? 

In fact I have. And I think the fans will be pleased.

Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/features/director-tim-miller-terminator-dark-fate-comic-con-1203262797/

• Thumbs Up 5

26 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Tim Miller on Sonic’s redesign for the movie.:

(...) The redesign? Look, I was with fans and so was Jeff. This is a franchise, and it has to be great. (...)

Wow, you always though the design was bad? You're quite competent to publish it then, Tim.

This is why there is little point to read those. It's just computer-generated assurance that they totally on our side and that movie will be good.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm aware these guys have to do damage control, they have to promote themselves as people who think they understand the fans, when they really only care about money, but can we please give them a chance? They don't seem THAT bad, they admitted they fucked up and are trying to fix this mess. I really want to give the redesign a chance, especially because the movie sounds fun to me and to the rest of the fans, since the biggest complaint was how Sonic looked in the movie, it could turn out great as a movie, and obviously it's important that Sonic looks like Sonic too.

People here were already dooming everything from the start, so they were SHOCKED when Jeff Fowler admitted he wanted to fix this, and when they teased the delay, so… don't go doom and gloom yet. There is hope, they already proved us wrong by trying to change the design. Now it depends on what capacity...

I think that when he says him and Jeff were with the fans, he means that they realized how much they messed things up as soon as the fans reacted to the trailer. Not that he was with them from the very start.

"We were with you!" seems like a hollow gesture when fans, non-fans, the creators of Sonic and other big names were saying that it's a bad design long before the trailer dropped, but they actively ignored everyone. Never forget Patrick Casey's condescending "Everybody relax"

• Thumbs Up 3

Patrick Casey is a real dick. Miller also pushed for the realistic and genericly mainstream design, but at least admitted he fucked up, Casey is too arrogant for that. But enough about who we trust and don't trust, whether the design is indeed fixed... we shall see. I'm sick of playing the devil's advocade. Not worth it.

Anyway, I've finally seen Detective Pikachu so I can finally judge it, it's not as fun as I thought it's be. It's more sad and intense, I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it, but I enjoyed the story, more than the characters, Pikachu talks too much, Tim is dull and sad. Not really fun characters. Obviously my favorites Psyduck, Charizard and Mewtwo got screentime, and the very fact that this movie had a lot of game elements, characters and it was in fact an adaptation of one of the games, is a Lost more faithful than what Sonic here is trying to be. Sad true story.

Still a fun movie but I can see Sonic having some advantages: from the trailer and test screenings, Sonic movie seems a lot more fun and self aware, something that kids can enjoy, but it does try to tell a story, an origin story where Sonic and Eggman become their games selves, in appearance and personality, something I'm really excited about, every hero as a Genesis. Robotnik also seems nuts, obsessed with the hedgehog, there is little fanservice but, it's meant to be for everyone, not a restricted audience of fans, I just hope they didn't spoil the ending in the trailer and that there's more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Fans will be pleased. He's Blue Bubsy now.

I'd unironically be all for that.

15 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

In fact I have. And I think the fans will be pleased.

He...really doesn't get this fandom does he?

All seriousness though it's nice they realized how bad they screwed up. I don't know if that will make the final product good but I'll at least consider seeing it if Sonic's design isn't the abomination that we previously got.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

To be honest, I have a lot less interest in the film ever since the redesign was announced. This film is probably going to be utterly awful, and if Sonic looked like a gremlin at least I could watch it with my friends and laugh at it. Now it may just be another mediocre film.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Plasme said:

To be honest, I have a lot less interest in the film ever since the redesign was announced. This film is probably going to be utterly awful, and if Sonic looked like a gremlin at least I could watch it with my friends and laugh at it. Now it may just be another mediocre film.

Eh, fair enough but Sonic's design was personally the last straw for me. That was when any hope of it being funny bad vanished and it just became regular bad.

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

I've completely stopped caring about it. 

I don't know if the hullabaloo from the earlier months drained me of all the fucks I give or what but everytime I see this topic hanging around it's like getting smacked with a shoe with a message on the bottom that reads "Oh yeah. This still exists."

• Thumbs Up 4

17 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

but can we please give them a chance? They don't seem THAT bad, they admitted they fucked up and are trying to fix this mess.

Seeing as how these are the very same people who allowed the first abomination to make it as far as it did, there is no way shape or form where is somehow okay for us to allow them to wash their hands of what has been put on the table in the past and approach it from a clean slate. You wouldn't give anyone the benefit of the doubt in that or any similar situation.

It really doesn't matter how sincere their apology is, or how self-aware they are of how badly they fumbled, if you attempt to deliver an end result as they did - and then fall back to try again - it would fall on the receiving party to hold the next result to heightened skepticism. To do anything else is just blind optimism. The scary thing is, people were already skeptical before the first design was made public... so now its several magnitudes worse.

Its nice to be positive, but you cant fault people for being grounded in reality here. We got unequivocally, undeniably slapped in the face by the first draft. An apology isn't going to stop me from reading a stance to be ready in case the people over on that movie set decide to take another swing at my head. If you get hit in the face a second time, you're as much to blame as the guy throwing the blows. You can't expect people to just stand there and hope the next attempt is a present instead of a punch. Fool me once, fool me twice yadda yadda.

I'm starting to wonder if Deadpool was a fluke. Tim Miller really goofed up pushing for this "realistic" design. Looks like he's about to shit the bed with Terminator too. Or maybe its a Paramount thing?

Either way, it's good to see him hold his hands up and admit a mistake. I reckon, based on the first interview/press piece with IGN, that hidious design is more Miller's doing than anyone else.

6 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Seeing as how these are the very same people who allowed the first abomination to make it as far as it did, there is no way shape or form where is somehow okay for us to allow them to wash their hands of what has been put on the table in the past and approach it from a clean slate. You wouldn't give anyone the benefit of the doubt in that or any similar situation.

It really doesn't matter how sincere their apology is, or how self-aware they are of how badly they fumbled, if you attempt to deliver an end result as they did - and then fall back to try again - it would fall on the receiving party to hold the next result to heightened skepticism. To do anything else is just blind optimism. The scary thing is, people were already skeptical before the first design was made public... so now its several magnitudes worse.

Its nice to be positive, but you cant fault people for being grounded in reality here. We got unequivocally, undeniably slapped in the face by the first draft. An apology isn't going to stop me from reading a stance to be ready in case the people over on that movie set decide to take another swing at my head. If you get hit in the face a second time, you're as much to blame as the guy throwing the blows. You can't expect people to just stand there and hope the next attempt is a present instead of a punch. Fool me once, fool me twice yadda yadda.

Forgiveness is a thing that exists. It's not much to ask for the benefit of the doubt until we see the redesign. Obviously an apology is useless if the new design still sucks, there's no point in forgiving them. And my opinion is still that it looks funnier than DP, with a better cast, so if Sonic looks good it'll be perfect to me. You can't expect everybody to share the same opinion. I don't expect that anymore...

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, they should not make him ugly in the first place. They should have known better.

However, I still think this movie will be fun, despite the terrible design. I’m glad he is getting an redesign. You don’t usually see people making these decisions.

Sorry, but no. Apologies are useless unless action is taken to make sure improvement is made, and by that token, I'm not giving them brownie points for fixing a problem that they created and that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Forgiveness is a thing that exists. It's not much to ask for the benefit of the doubt until we see the redesign. Obviously an apology is useless if the new design still sucks, there's no point in forgiving them. And my opinion is still that it looks funnier than DP, with a better cast, so if Sonic looks good it'll be perfect to me. You can't expect everybody to share the same opinion. I don't expect that anymore...

If your forgiveness is dependent on the quality of the end result, then you've already bastardized the intent of the term. True forgiveness is unconditional. If you have to leverage your forgiveness by the quality of the redesign we have yet to see, or the quality of the movie down the road come release, then you haven't forgiven anything and you are casually applying the same caution/wariness that I am, albeit wrapped in a nicer package.

It is too much to ask for the benefit of the doubt when in the next breath you claim that the process is futile if the new design isn't up to par.

In this case, obviously we have to wait (AGAIN, I'm aware) for the redesign to judge. So yeah, I will forgive them only if they listened.

What I'm saying is we can hold grudges for the past mistakes or we can move on and enjoy the show. If the movie is garbage, don't you think I will be the first to complain? C'mon. I'm setting my expectations low after DP.

We don't need words "fans will be pleased", we need facts, proof, trust is something they have to earn, right now they mainstreamed Sonic the first time, which is something that makes me not trust them, but they were humble enough to change it, something that didn't happen with the Bay Turtles, it doesn't happen in Hollywood, which is something that makes me a bit more hopeful.

I'd need to feel betrayed by them in order to have an avenue open to "forgive" them for this. Whether the new design looks good or not, it's not going to change the fact that I didn't want a live-action Sonic the Hedgehog movie in the first place. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Release dates for all the countries so far.:

• Netherlands
    13 February 2020
  • Bulgaria
    14 February 2020
  • Canada
    14 February 2020
  • UK
    14 February 2020
  • Ireland
    14 February 2020
  • USA
    14 February 2020
  • Argentina
    20 February 2020
  • Iceland
    21 February 2020
  • Sweden
    26 February 2020
  • Singapore
    27 February 2020
  • France
    11 March 2020
  • Australia
    12 March 2020
  • Norway
    13 March 2020
  • Brazil
    10 April 2020
  • Germany
    21 April 2020
  • Japan
    23 May 2020
  • Switzerland
    19 June 2020
    (French speaking region)
  • New Zealand
    10 July 2020
  • Russia
    23 July 2020

Source: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/releaseinfo

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do you think that once the design is fixed, everything is fixed? This movie purely lacks any Sonic soul, anything that can even remotely ground it in a sense that it is not out of place with the rest of the franchise. That’s like getting someone into Half-Life by telling them to play Portal, they are not the same thing at all. No amount of making Sonic look pleasing to the eye will change the fact that the movie is boring, and disconnected from it’s source material. It lacks a Sonic soul, let alone any soul.

Do not assume a design change will fix all of our problems. Everything that makes this film bad runs to it’s very core.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

Why do you think that once the design is fixed, everything is fixed? This movie purely lacks any Sonic soul, anything that can even remotely ground it in a sense that it is not out of place with the rest of the franchise. That’s like getting someone into Half-Life by telling them to play Portal, they are not the same thing at all. No amount of making Sonic look pleasing to the eye will change the fact that the movie is boring, and disconnected from it’s source material. It lacks a Sonic soul, let alone any soul.

Do not assume a design change will fix all of our problems. Everything that makes this film bad runs to it’s very core.

I guess that's just opinion though. To me, hidious design aside, I'm really looking forward to this. Fan of almost 30 years here. CGI or 2D animation would be preferable, but this looks fun!

Fix the design, drop Gangsta's Paradise (seriously, wtf?!) and I had no issues with that trailer.

1 minute ago, Dr Ryan said:

I guess that's just opinion though. To me, hidious design aside, I'm really looking forward to this. Fan of almost 30 years here. CGI or 2D animation would be preferable, but this looks fun!

Fix the design, drop Gangsta's Paradise (seriously, wtf?!) and I had no issues with that trailer.

And you know what, that's fine too. My post is heavily opinionated, as how you may see the movie is certainly different to mine. Maybe you see a Sonic soul in it that I do not.

All I wished to clarify was that the design of Sonic the Hedgehog himself was not the end-all of this movie.