Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

21 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

I'm assuming so. Trailer Track is saying no. That Brazilian guy was saying yes. Do Paramount have another big kids movie before Sonic? I would have thought at least a very short teaser tomorrow? They need to start advertising it again.

Well I mean Dora also comes out this month. I talked earlier about that being a possibility too.

• Thumbs Up 1

TrailerTrack isn’t expecting another trailer until like October or November.

It’s possible that we could get an official reveal of Sonic’s redesign instead. Jeff Fowler will probably posted it on his Twitter and Instagram.

41 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Well I mean Dora also comes out this month. I talked earlier about that being a possibility too.

I assumed for a while it would be with Dora too. We shall see tomorrow! 😁 As someone who liked the first trailer (minus Gangsta's Paradise and that awful design), I am sure to lose my shit if they manage to do a new trailer with a cool looking Sonic and a more fitting choice of music. We shall see tomorrow!

On 8/3/2019 at 4:31 AM, CaptainRobo said:

Here’s another one.:

Speaking at TCA panel for his Showtime series Kidding, Carrey questioned the notion of the audience being able to weigh in (and force change) while a project is still in production, acknowledging fans "had the sense of ownership" of the character because it is from their childhood. 

"Sometimes, you find the collective consciousness finds it wants something and then when it gets it: 'I just wanted it, I didn't care about it. I just jumped on the bandwagon,'" Carrey said. "Ownership of anything is going out the window for all of us."

Source

I do have to say this is true. For as much as I wanted the design to change, I’m still not going to see the movie. There are a myriad of other issues that turn me away from the film that a design change will not fix. All I wanted was a better Sonic for others, so that newcomers can see this movie and recognise that, yes, despite everything in the movie, that character is still Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

It’s possible that we could get an official reveal of Sonic’s redesign instead. Jeff Fowler will probably posted it on his Twitter and Instagram.

It was revealed in that owl leak I showed earlier that the redesign and delay has been in the works since January though. It could be slightly more finished by now than we think.

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

We could get a behind-the-scenes video.

Well, in 2 hours we will know the truth... Hopefully. If there is nothing today, then we really have to wait until NYCC in October, and I can't handle all that wait. I'm normally patient about releases (more or less) but I'm just too curious at this point.

7 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Well, in 2 hours we will know the truth... Hopefully. If there is nothing today, then we really have to wait until NYCC in October, and I can't handle all that wait. I'm normally patient about releases (more or less) but I'm just too curious at this point.

Or until Dora

Perhaps we're just incorrectly assuming that being back at 6 months to release means a replacement trailer, maybe the next trailer will take up the normal trailer 2 release timng.

• Thumbs Up 1

So this youtuber called Max G created a video suggesting how the Sonic movie could have been made differently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvdRtsMxjmc

As a 90's kid myself, what I dig most about his idea is the whole 90's angle he suggests for the movie, with the movie being set in the 90's, having a 90's soundtrack, Sonic having his 90's design, ect ect. That would be so awesome.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:54 AM, CaptainRobo said:

So, Adi Shankar who is the executive producer of Dredd and the Netflix TV show, Castlevania respond to Jim Carrey’s reaction on the redesign.: 

Carrey’s comments were responded to by Shankar in a brief open letter, which he exclusively sent to Screen Rant. It reads as follows:

Dear Jim,

The audience isn’t “in on the creation” of the film you acted in. Sonic the Hedgehog was already created, decades ago. This film you lended your talents to adapted him incorrectly. It’s this perspective that Hollywood is entitled to dismantle iconography as it sees fit and reassemble it in ways that often bear little resemblance to the source that has led to the friction between gamers and the film industry.

Best,

Adi

Source

This...is the same Adi Shankar who makes all those Bloody and heavily sexual "bootleg" fan films, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

I know it's not as finished as the other reanimated video that was put out this week (but honestly, I think we can all agree that Hotdiggetydemon is kind of... Seth McFarlane-y), but I thought I'd like to share with you all.

Just here to be a little more positive.

3 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

I know it's not as finished as the other reanimated video that was put out this week (but honestly, I think we can all agree that Hotdiggetydemon is kind of... Seth McFarlane-y), but I thought I'd like to share with you all.

I was going to see if his vid was mentioned here. Yeah his animation is good technically speaking; but the way he did it for Sonic is way too Ren & Stimpy. Yours is much more in line with how Sonic actually expresses emotions. :)

Also why does every popular Youtuber have to hammer in that they're "most definitely not/never been Sonic fans" when they probably are.

Seriously its like the one taboo for them. :/

2 hours ago, Austroid said:

I was going to see if his vid was mentioned here. Yeah his animation is good technically speaking; but the way he did it for Sonic is way too Ren & Stimpy.

I usually draw in a similar artstyle as shows like Ren & Stimpy and SpongeBob (not really sure what the technique is called, but I've studied it). I don't really see that comparison here. If you want to see a Ren & Stimpy-esq animated Sonic, watch Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog. Vincent Waller, a guy who worked on both Ren & Stimpy and SpongeBob, storyboarded that show.

The "Ren & Stimpy" technique is when every frame of an animated character's movement has a new, overly exaggerated, and (lack of better words) squash and stretch style of expression. If anything, hotdiggitydemon follows the Ren & Stimpy method (and most people like it).

I see this Sonic animation as just very cartoony, but not too exaggerated to the point where it wouldn't work in a live action movie if it's trying to aim for a semi-realistic appeal. I can definitely notice the animal-like inspiration with his quills going up while screaming, and the added whiskers (that's something Detective Pikachu was aiming for when animating too).

2 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I usually draw in a similar artstyle as shows like Ren & Stimpy and SpongeBob (not really sure what the technique is called, but I've studied it). I don't really see that comparison here. If you want to see a Ren & Stimpy-esq animated Sonic, watch Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog. Vincent Waller, a guy who worked on both Ren & Stimpy and SpongeBob, storyboarded that show.

The "Ren & Stimpy" technique is when every frame of an animated character's movement has a new, overly exaggerated, and (lack of better words) squash and stretch style of expression. If anything, hotdiggitydemon follows the Ren & Stimpy method (and most people like it).

I see this Sonic animation as just very cartoony, but not too exaggerated to the point where it wouldn't work in a live action movie if it's trying to aim for a semi-realistic appeal. I can definitely notice the animal-like inspiration with his quills going up while screaming, and the added whiskers (that's something Detective Pikachu was aiming for when animating too).

I should've clarified that the exaggerated expressions were what gave off a Ren & Stimpy vibe for me. Particularly how he smiles after "meow?", when he's screaming, and after he faints. That's definitely not a style we'd ever see Sega roll with in modern stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

It's fuckin creepy how it suddenly begins to transition into the live action model again.

Okay okay. You make your point loud and clear. But for now, I'm just reanimating over the dude.

Maybe you'd like this one better~

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/7/2019 at 11:54 AM, CaptainRobo said:

So, Adi Shankar who is the executive producer of Dredd and the Netflix TV show, Castlevania respond to Jim Carrey’s reaction on the redesign.: 

Carrey’s comments were responded to by Shankar in a brief open letter, which he exclusively sent to Screen Rant. It reads as follows:

Dear Jim,

The audience isn’t “in on the creation” of the film you acted in. Sonic the Hedgehog was already created, decades ago. This film you lended your talents to adapted him incorrectly. It’s this perspective that Hollywood is entitled to dismantle iconography as it sees fit and reassemble it in ways that often bear little resemblance to the source that has led to the friction between gamers and the film industry.

Best,

Adi

Source

That's tough talk from someone who doesn't seem to remember Grant's existence in Castlevania 3.

2 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

That's tough talk from someone who doesn't seem to remember Grant's existence in Castlevania 3.

While that's true, I was under the impression Netflix Castlevania is really well-liked compared to the disaster he's talking about here. So I think he can get away with pointing it out. 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

While that's true, I was under the impression Netflix Castlevania is really well-liked compared to the disaster he's talking about here. So I think he can get away with pointing it out. 

All the more reason that his "already created, decades ago" comment is meaningless. Nothing about Netflix Castlevania's success has to do with artistic loyalty to the original product.

I hope all the low expectations become worth it in the end. I walked into Dora & The Lost City Of Gold (another live action adaptation by Paramount) expecting it to be absolute shit, but ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would, and the critics seem to agree. If Sonic ends up being a pretty decent film (notice how Patrick Casey keeps telling people who complain to actually wait and go see the movie), people will be not only pleasantly surprised but will enjoy it 1000x more than they expected themselves to. Which will definitely impact their perspective on this movie.

No, they can complain... But after seeing the actual thing. Yeah, low expectations are probably the best thing in the end so it's more likely to enjoy stuff.

SEGA on the redesign decision.:

"I think everybody's just keen to do the right thing. Obviously we have a very deep knowledge of the character and the brand. [Paramount] has a very deep knowledge of how to make movies. The trick is just to bring those two skillsets together to make the best film we can. To be fair, Paramount has been open to listening to feedback from the community around Sonic, which of course has got such a tremendously loyal fanbase with people with very specific views of who Sonic is, how Sonic should behave, how Sonic should look. And I think Paramount has taken a lot of that on board."

They also asked him another question. Here’s what they asked.:

With companies like Activision, Sony, and Ubisoft bringing more of their big screen adaptation efforts in-house, we ask Dale if Sega has similar aspirations to carry more of the load in bringing its own brands to feature films.

"I don't really think so. I think the opportunity with Sonic is a particular situation for that film. And I think there's a view here that we're very good at making video games and Paramount is very good at making pictures... This is a film. I think the idea that you try to control Paramount would be the wrong approach. But at the same time, for Paramount not to take into account our views on Sonic would also be wrong. I think we're looking for a creative partnership that gets the best film. And over the years, I look at the success of game franchises in film and it's very mixed. The idea that games makers can control the process and create great movies... I don't know if that's true or not."

Source

• Thumbs Up 2