Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I don't know anything about the timing of dubbed trailers releasing alongside the English version but at under 4 months to go those international voices will need recording so everything is ready for the release date.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Palette said:

MxfzcrM.jpgEHFGiWSXYAEzfwg.jpg

Found this on Twitter. From my own research this dude's actually the Spanish voice of Sonic in the film?

Text roughly translates to "We're almost ready to record!". Hoo boy.. I don't wanna say "new trailer really soon guys", but new trailer might be really soon? Then again that could just be a script for the actual film instead of just the trailer so..

Interesting. So, we just got the redesign leak and Ben’s tweet that had a picture of him, Jeff, and some other guy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And now that Instagram post that Spanish guy posted. Well, it’s probably safe to say that we probably going to get something on the movie soon.

• Thumbs Up 3

The first week of November's gotta be it. 

Paramount uploads trailers on tuesdays and thursdays..

So, if the next Sonic trailer is attached to that firefighter movie on November 8th, (Sonic's original release window) then it will probably debut online tuesday of that week, (trailer 1 debuted on a tuesday as well) meaning we will see it on November 5th, in exactly 19 days.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

19 minutes ago, Myst said:

The first week of November's gotta be it. 

Paramount uploads trailers on tuesdays and thursdays..

So, if the next Sonic trailer is attached to that firefighter movie on November 8th, (Sonic's original release window) then it will probably debut online tuesday of that week, (trailer 1 debuted on a tuesday as well) meaning we will see it on November 5th, in exactly 19 days.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

This is exactly how I feel and look waiting for the new trailer. 

• Thumbs Up 4

You say that now, but we're gonna miss these days in the future (after the movie is out and flops hard, that is) xD

Sadness will be all that's left.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not gonna lie, I think Playing With Fire looks really bad. I know it's biased to say that we won't get a trailer during that movie, but it's such a tiny budget film that likely won't do well in box office and critical reception (I'm predicting it's going to be a trainwreck based on the trailer and the production team involved with it). I'm pretty sure Nickelodeon Movies has seperate policies from original Paramount films too.

This is just my opinion (it could still premier around the same time as Playing With Fire) but the smartest decision would be to show a trailer during Frozen 2. Hell it'd be smart to even just release a trailer during Terminator rather than Playing With Fire. This is supposed to be Paramount's biggest film of next year, they shouldn't release a trailer during their smallest, and potentially weakest film of this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Jango said:

after the movie is out and flops hard, that is

I think it's gonna make  big bucks. Solely because a lot of people want to see this trainwreck unfold before their own eyes out of curiosity. A lot of people can't refuse a good dumpsterfire.

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

I think it's gonna make  big bucks. Solely because a lot of people want to see this trainwreck unfold before their own eyes out of curiosity. A lot of people can't refuse a good dumpsterfire.

Actually, since that redesign leaked, many people on social media have been reacting A LOT more positively to the film. 

It would be nice if Paramount notifies the public 24 hours in advance of the trailer debut. (They did that for Terminator: Dark Fate's trailer in August, putting a countdown timer until the trailer premiered the next day on YouTube) it'd be fun to count down the minutes together in anticipation. Get the popcorn ready! 😊

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Tarnish said:

People with money to burn I suppose 🤷‍♂️ Going to the theatre isn't something cheap, at least not here. I'll wait for it to appear on some streaming service to check it out, if ever. 

6 hours ago, Myst said:

Actually, since that redesign leaked, many people on social media have been reacting A LOT more positively to the film.

Sadly Sonic's design was only 1 of the many, MANY problems of this movie.

The film will certainly sell a lot better with Sonic actually looking like Sonic this go round, various oddities aside, (blue arms, off-model shoes) Sonic Boom (the TV show) got a lot of support, and it was less on-model with Modern or Classic iterations of Sonic. 

At this point, whether or not the film is 'good' is probably irrelevant to SEGA. So long as it makes money and helps their bottom line, (and doesn't damage the Sonic brand significantly) they're happy with whatever happens on screen. 

I don't have much faith that the film itself will be any good, despite Sonic looking better. Video game tie-ins and live action realistic cartoon mash-ups are both infamously cursed genres on their own, let alone together at the same time. We'll see, nothing's impossible with this industry, it's just really predictable.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think it will be Worth the hype some people are putting into it, you know you'd get disappointed with that, with it being said, the redesign is defintiely good (if true), I'm more into the cast (Carrey, Marsden, Schwartz) performances, the Genesis aspect of it, as it is an origin story, I'm mostly excited for that, like Sonic becoming actually Sonic and Robotnik becoming Eggman, it's a series first so maybe that's why. The jokes seem… okay? A little weird, the references are there from what I read, but one thing I'm extremely pissed of are the robots: no way, those generic looking things should have been badniks with animals inside from day 1, I know a sequel would likely do them but no, they're too iconic to be left out in the debut film.

That said, like it or not, this movie will make bucks IMO, people may be simply curious about it, but don't deny the buzz, everyone talks about it and it's literally the only Sonic thing (atm) they care about, even people who know shit about Sonic, it's gone viral, and usually that's how you predict the box office. Add the fact that the rival movies in that period are looking quite snobbed so far.

• Thumbs Up 2

We'll see early indications of how it might perform after mid December when we're 8 weeks out and it hits long range tracking.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:41 AM, Jango said:

You say that now, but we're gonna miss these days in the future (after the movie is out and flops hard, that is) xD

Sadness will be all that's left.

This is liable to age badly.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Nina Cortex Spookhexeon said:

This is liable to age badly.

We'll see.

9 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

The film will certainly sell a lot better with Sonic actually looking like Sonic

This is kinda paradoxal. I heard people saying they wanted to watch the movie just because of how terrible it looked. Now Sonic actually looks okay, will these people still watch for shits and giggles?

9 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

At this point, whether or not the film is 'good' is probably irrelevant to SEGA. So long as it makes money and helps their bottom line, (and doesn't damage the Sonic brand significantly) they're happy with whatever happens on screen. 

And I hate that corporate notion TBH. Doesn't matter if the product is shit, if it sells, great...! But hey, that's how SEGA played with Sonic for some time, they thought that simply slaping the word "Sonic" to a product would guarantee some bucks. 

Well, if Venom taught us anything is that there are a looooot of folks willing to pay for shit stuff :V 

I will eat my shoe if this movie gets good scores. I'm sorry if I'm being grumpy and hyper skeptical, but a Sonic live-action movie can't be good. 

21 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'm sorry if I'm being grumpy, but a Sonic live-action movie can't be good. 

I respect your opinion. I don't like this argument.

I AM NOT DEFENDING THIS MOVIE, but this is exactly why I said months ago that I feel like people are just judging this film only because of the fact that it's something different. Sure, if Sonic's design was good from the very beginning, it wouldn't get the same rep it's gotten now, but I guarantee that if everything about this movie was exactly the same, but it was stop motion, CGi, or traditionally animated, people wouldn't be freaking out as hard right now. People would probably criticize the idea of Sonic teaming up with a cop, but because it's a medium that isn't live action, I guess that automatically means it has a chance of being above average.

I prefer animation. I wish this film was entirely animated. But live action doesn't automatically mean a bad film. A lot of people thought Dora & The Lost City Of Gold would be shit. It got amazing reviews. A handful of people thought Bumblebee would be shit (an adaptation of something that HAS failed as a live action property before), and it wasn't. A group of people were skeptical about Detective Pikachu and Alita Battle Angel because live action video game and manga adaptations mostly suck. They were both fine. Paddington ended up great. Peter Rabbit ended up decent.

It's okay to be skeptical, but we need to stop jumping to conclusions that just because a trailer is bad, or the fact that it's a live action adaptation and has an odd concept, it's immediately bad. You can argue that shit like the Disney live action remakes or movies like Alvin & The Chipmunks are examples of crappy live action adaptations, but if you look at the RESUMES of the people who made those movies, it was clear those films were doomed from the beginning. If you look at the RESUMES of people who made movies like Pikachu, Dora, Alita, and even Sonic, there is a good handful of people who have previously worked on quality films. This will be the third video game movie in America to actually have good producers involved (the first two being Detective Pikachu and Angry Birds 2, WHICH BOTH GOT GOOD REVIEWS). I was skeptical about the writing staff, because Patrick Casey and Josh Miller have written shit before, but it appears they took notes and improved after working on the 2nd season of Golan The Insatiable with other people.

I will admit that Sonic's design looked disgusting. I'll admit the trailer's not great. I'll admit the idea of a Sonic movie where the character teams up with a cop is bizarre. I'm not even saying the movie will be good. But I'm also not going to just hear the words "live action" and "Sonic" in the same sentence and just immediately think "instantly terrible". Personally I think the best chance is that this movie will receive mixed reception, or at least slightly above average. Even if the plot is weird or Sonic's design was shit, maybe the humor is good and the action is cool (a trailer doesn't necessarily represent an entire movie. Dora's trailers were bad yet the film was good). Maybe the cinematography is stunning. Who knows.

• Thumbs Up 8

You got me partner, I didn't knew Dora was actually good. But still. I'm hyper skeptical. Fart jokes and flosing will always entertain kids, but I really don't think the writing will be good or at least clever in this movie. But maybe it's too much too ask for a Sonic movie of all things to have good story? IDK. It's weird, because when you look at a product like this, you don't imagine it's gonna have a big story anyways. "-Oh, it's a kid's movie, so it has the liberty to have minimal writing" some might say. But we indeed got some good "kid's movies" (as in PG-13 or less) in recent years. 

16 hours ago, Jango said:

will eat my shoe if this movie gets good scores. I'm sorry if I'm being grumpy and hyper skeptical, but a Sonic live-action movie can't be good. 

I'll hold you to that. Just like the last time you promised to eat your shoe when you turned out to be wrong about that stream a while back yielding Spyro news.

That said, the hyperbolic nature of the statement was unneeded regarding your very own opinion that a Aonic live action movie can't be good.

16 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I respect your opinion. I don't like this argument.

I AM NOT DEFENDING THIS MOVIE, but this is exactly why I said months ago that I feel like people are just judging this film only because of the fact that it's something different. Sure, if Sonic's design was good from the very beginning, it wouldn't get the same rep it's gotten now, but I guarantee that if everything about this movie was exactly the same, but it was stop motion, CGi, or traditionally animated, people wouldn't be freaking out as hard right now. People would probably criticize the idea of Sonic teaming up with a cop, but because it's a medium that isn't live action, I guess that automatically means it has a chance of being above average.

I prefer animation. I wish this film was entirely animated. But live action doesn't automatically mean a bad film. A lot of people thought Dora & The Lost City Of Gold would be shit. It got amazing reviews. A handful of people thought Bumblebee would be shit (an adaptation of something that HAS failed as a live action property before), and it wasn't. A group of people were skeptical about Detective Pikachu and Alita Battle Angel because live action video game and manga adaptations mostly suck. They were both fine. Paddington ended up great. Peter Rabbit ended up decent.

It's okay to be skeptical, but we need to stop jumping to conclusions that just because a trailer is bad, or the fact that it's a live action adaptation and has an odd concept, it's immediately bad. You can argue that shit like the Disney live action remakes or movies like Alvin & The Chipmunks are examples of crappy live action adaptations, but if you look at the RESUMES of the people who made those movies, it was clear those films were doomed from the beginning. If you look at the RESUMES of people who made movies like Pikachu, Dora, Alita, and even Sonic, there is a good handful of people who have previously worked on quality films. This will be the third video game movie in America to actually have good producers involved (the first two being Detective Pikachu and Angry Birds 2, WHICH BOTH GOT GOOD REVIEWS). I was skeptical about the writing staff, because Patrick Casey and Josh Miller have written shit before, but it appears they took notes and improved after working on the 2nd season of Golan The Insatiable with other people.

I will admit that Sonic's design looked disgusting. I'll admit the trailer's not great. I'll admit the idea of a Sonic movie where the character teams up with a cop is bizarre. I'm not even saying the movie will be good. But I'm also not going to just hear the words "live action" and "Sonic" in the same sentence and just immediately think "instantly terrible". Personally I think the best chance is that this movie will receive mixed reception, or at least slightly above average. Even if the plot is weird or Sonic's design was shit, maybe the humor is good and the action is cool (a trailer doesn't necessarily represent an entire movie. Dora's trailers were bad yet the film was good). Maybe the cinematography is stunning. Who knows.

I second that.

Is the leaked new design confirmed? It looks pretty good but I am naturally skeptical of these types of things since I have definitely seen alternative designs that looked better than the original before the official re-redesign was even announced.

Checking the lyrics for all the lines that don't instantly sping to mind and maybe I'm overthinking things but some of it feels very on the nose for the design contraversy.

• Thumbs Up 1