Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

'Hello'? Really? You'd think after the critcism of 'Gangsta's Paradise' they would've just stuck to something more traditional like Green Hill Zone music or something.

(I still think 'Without Me' would be funnier. And more upbeat/fun)

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Now the guy is saying this. 

EDIT: I think I found the source. It seems to be from a joke tweet.

He just responded about the rumor. Lol.

Yea, I guess this is fake. So, let’s move along.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I'm echoing the sentiments that the movie will be bad.

But I'm still expecting it to be a fun kind of bad, and I'm honestly kind of hyped for the spectacle of it all? Dr. Eggman and Agent Stone look like a riot in the trailer, and I really look forward to their scenes in the finished product.

One thing I'm genuinely liking is that, throughout the trailer, Eggman seems to get more and more manic and excited as time goes on. It would have been easy to just write him as perpetually angry or something, but I feel like they nailed Eggman's zaniness and excitability. He seems to have a genuine scientific curiosity about Sonic, and is having a good time trying to capture him.

No matter how much of a mess this film will probably be, I'm honestly kind of loving Eggman's direction here. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Damn...okay it indeed probably will release near Playing With Fire. Not a good marketing decision imo. I'm hoping they also release a trailer during Frozen 2 then. But still...advertising during Playing With Fire? Oof. Not many people will see the trailer in theaters then (which keep in mind, trailers in a theater can also raise attention just as much as trailers online, if not, sometimes more).

I have no interest in the film now Sonic's been redesigned. I was going to watch the horrible gremlin Sonic with friends and laugh at how terrible he is. It would be funny, especially with one of my best friends, who hates Sonic and we sometimes take the piss out of the franchise's lowest moments together.

25 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Damn...okay it indeed probably will release near Playing With Fire. Not a good marketing decision imo. I'm hoping they also release a trailer during Frozen 2 then. But still...advertising during Playing With Fire? Oof. Not many people will see the trailer in theaters then (which keep in mind, trailers in a theater can also raise attention just as much as trailers online, if not, sometimes more).

The trailer can play before both Playing with Fire and Frozen 2.

5 hours ago, Plasme said:

I have no interest in the film now Sonic's been redesigned. I was going to watch the horrible gremlin Sonic with friends and laugh at how terrible he is. It would be funny, especially with one of my best friends, who hates Sonic and we sometimes take the piss out of the franchise's lowest moments together.

Well the good news is that everything else about the movie is probably still going to be terrible.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 3

8 hours ago, Plasme said:

So has that design been confirmed to be real? Cuz I still say it looks like one of those Sonic designs from cheap, unofficial video game magazines from back in the 90s. Like this one:
large.gallery_9_225870.jpg.31a62e07a4810fe74b8127867faf53e9.thumb.jpg.8905fe457d5bf21419a980bc7df98e99.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

It's about on the same level to me.  They're both extremely flawed renders, to put it nicely, but they're both a lot closer than what we previously got.

They both immediately illicit a fight or flight response in me.

The former doesn't even look that out of place given the number of awkward Sonic renders that were popular in European media in the 90's.  Though perhaps neither are quite as bad as-

Eh, it's a wait and see regarding the new trailer.

It's best that we be patient for it. I mean, we waited so long for a new trailer.

What I would suggest is that once the second trailer is release, we don't start yet another war like the first or else thread lock.

So please, clam down regarding everything during the second trailer here or else the thread will be locked for the second time, ok?

26 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

It's sonic, but with fur lol

That's pretty much the problem.  Sonic with fur is uncanny and overtly realistic to the point of being nauseating for me.  It's the same reason I quite disliked Eddie LeBron's Sonic model.

Aside from that, the fur texture and mouth placement (which to be fair, isn't something Sega has gotten right consistently, either) give Sonic the appearance of a bootleg Muppet, the eyes look glassy and lifeless, the proportions are a tad lanky, and the expression is pretty uninspiring.  If this were rendered in another medium but otherwise 1:1 (meaning it can't be enhanced in that medium), it would still look like pretty trashy fan art.

• Thumbs Up 1

So of all things that bothered me about realistic Sonic, the fur and quills weren't necessarily that high on the list. I mean... I agree that it's strange to see, but in a world where we are subjected to seeing every individual strand of hair on Mario's mustache or the individual stitches of the "M" on his hat, a more 'palpable' texture of spines or quills on Sonic is about on par with the needlessly detailed stitches on his gloves for me. I get why it can feel uncanny, though. Not gonna argue that it's objectively better. I just prefer it over... whatever texture it is that Modern Sonic actually has right now:

image.png.5fda52579376ec9d6d472d8cdd757e55.png

If they make Movie Sonic's quills 'finer' and less chunky, more streamlined and smooth, I think it'd be alright. 

image.png.071e3a585ef3cf959673cce55fe9a5b3.png

... but. That's assuming we have to settle for more realistic Sonic designs moving forward. Cartoonier Sonic with more subtle texturing is still the best, in my book:

[image source]

1 hour ago, Demondeano18 said:

The fact that we even got a redesign so close to the modern sonic model is practically a miracle, there really is no pleasing this fan base is there lol

I really hate this sentiment in certain sectors of this fanbase. We are in fact, not hard to please. Sonic Mania was a resounding success with the vast majority of fans, despite only targeting a certain demographic and being flawed in several ways (remixing many old levels when doing so wasn't met with great enthusiasm).

Even Generations and Colors, which are both deeply flawed experiences, are generally seen positively by the fanbase. Even games which have aged poorly, such as the Adventure titles, remain popular.

Sonic fans are actually not hard to please at all, it's just that the vast majority of Sonic games after Adventure 2 have been awful.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Demondeano18 said:

there really is no pleasing this fan base is there lol

I apparently missed this part in my last response.  If you can't think of an actual response, you can go elsewhere with your strawman and bad faith arguments.  Responses like these only clue me in that you're not interested in actually discussing the merits you may find in the design so much as are simply arguing from a contrarian standpoint for the sheer sake of contrarianism, made especially ridiculous when most of the things the fanbase is outspokenly bitter about aren't exactly much better received outside the fanbase, either.  It's like dumping a cat's litterbox on someone's desk and then reminding the person that they have a cat of their own.  Just no pleasing cat fans.

And I'm not trying to defend the fanbase, either.  I've gone on record before as saying I'm not exactly crazy about the Sonic fandom, but the only thing more eyeroll inducing than the Sonic fanbase itself is half-arsed remarks like this.

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

So of all things that bothered me about realistic Sonic, the fur and quills weren't necessarily that high on the list. I mean... I agree that it's strange to see, but in a world where we are subjected to seeing every individual strand of hair on Mario's mustache or the individual stitches of the "M" on his hat, a more 'palpable' texture of spines or quills on Sonic is about on par with the needlessly detailed stitches on his gloves for me. I get why it can feel uncanny, though. Not gonna argue that it's objectively better. I just prefer it over... whatever texture it is that Modern Sonic actually has right now:

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of how modern Sonic is rendered either, and I'm not quite into the level of photorealism on Mario's model in Super Mario Odyssey, either.  The difference is that from a respectable distance (i.e. the angle from which you'll be viewing it for most of the game) it's not really noticeable.  I think the classic Sonic render you posted would be my ideal 3D render of Sonic.  The texturing is subtle, but visible enough that you can still visualize the materials they're made of.  That and I quite like the shadows and light reflections play off of Sonic here.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

You are looking far too much into what I said, I was simply baffled that you would compare one of the terrible 90s renders to a pretty much accurate version of game sonic.  

A patronizing comment being read as patronizing shouldn't be an unexpected occurrence.  As for the model, it's only as accurate to game Sonic as this is an accurate render of the Sonic Free Riders box art-

4157068e0fedaac7062993d7562e6dec.jpg

715BxBrhpIL._SY445_.jpg

Obviously, one was traced from the other, but you can also tell the artist (perhaps a young artist, so I'm not saying that with the intent of disrespecting them, and also it's not like I draw any better) does not have a grasp on line art, lighting, shading, or anatomy that makes Sonic's design work.  It's an accurate model of Sonic, but I don't think too many people would argue that it's a good drawing.

Obviously, I'm not saying the model looks like it was traced over and then colored in Microsoft Paint.  But I'm saying, there's more to the quality of a model than how accurate looks at a surface level glance.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

Okay Tara, whatever you say..

Sonic looks like Sonic, they done a good job. 

44 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

Tara, lol 

You are looking far too much into what I said, I was simply baffled that you would compare one of the terrible 90s renders to a pretty much accurate version of game sonic.  

Stop using big words - I don't know what they mean. ;) 

Anyway let's shift focus because this is already too much drama lol 

The design may look even better than the leaks, I'm sure tails channel mentioned a source who said it will look close to the leaked images.

You're being incredibly condescending for no reason (also saying you don't understand "big words" doesn't make you clever) so I suggest you knock it off. Your attitude is extremely poor right now and there's been nothing in Tara's post to warrant this tone.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, Tika posted a short video of her and Jeff. This is like the first time I hear the director talk.

She also respond to some of the questions.:

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, good fans are doing the "I bet you don't even know this character or this one. How dare you be in a movie based on this franchise if you're not intimately familiar with it" thing. Actors do not have to know everything about the franchise. They just have to act.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

They just have to act.

makes even less sense to really criticize her for it considering she isn't playing an established character in the franchise, or even the primary or secondary foil to an established character. She's filling in a role where she could likely know jack squat about the franchise and it wouldn't make a difference.

• Thumbs Up 4