Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Forgive me, but when I see a movie called "Sonic The Hedgehog" that is supposedly based on Sonic and influenced by Sonic, I expect, you know, Sonic.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, odds are that I should be expecting a duck. Instead it's a cow in duck's clothing and that's a problem.

• Thumbs Up 6

All you need to know this movie will be bad is that it separates Sonic from humans. Obv designed for/by memers and just those who watched SaTAM when they kids and who bark about how the Good Doctor should be called Robotnik not Eggman.

Honestly I always expected he'd get, at least some version of his iconic shoes at the end of the movie, though I expect they would've been "adapted" like the rest of Sonic. That shot of the pile of shoes in the trailer, while it could just be a visual joke about the amount of running he does, feels like he'd eventually wreck the red PUMAs and somehow aquire the running sneakers at the end in a "becoming the hero" moment.

As it stands I suspect the PUMA deal is still happening. Either the new poster shoes are the new puma deal (very cool) or they're sticking with the original plan and the "Sonic" sneakers are brought in later in the film.

I think the new shoes will be similar to these. The shoes seen in that leaked picture look very close like that.:

spacer.png

It’s look a lot closer to the game shoes.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sean said:

Man. If only people were this open-minded about the Freedom Fighters being in the series and SatAM/Archie doing their own thing completely separate from the games. Maybe then I wouldn't have to put up with being told they're antithetical to Sonic and shouldn't be around anymore.

I mean, I do think it's fine to vocally dislike those elements. Criticizing the Freedom Fighters is just as valid as criticizing Chris Thorndyke, Sticks the Badger, Manic and Sonia, or any other spinoff's original non-game characters. (Though the FFs at least have a very loose basis in Sonic's animal friends from the games)

(I'm honestly kinda neutral on them so I'm not putting them down, really. It's more how SatAM handled Robotnik that I wasn't keen on, but that's a topic for another day.)

To tie this in to the movie discussion, I think it's fine and expected that fans of a game series will necessarily be critical of adaptations that take a lot of liberties with the source material, as the movie is doing. We obviously shouldn't disrespect the fans or the creative team, but just taking a position of "Sonic isn't supposed to be like this" (whether about this film in particular or other adaptations) honestly seems reasonable to me.

8 minutes ago, Sean said:

My point being that I don't want to hear this:

from someone who also says this:

You really expected the Archie comics to be like the games? It's called adaptation for a reason, with a unique story of course. These issues are simply "not my Sonic" and "ew Freedom Fighters."

or in other words, just deal with the fact that people aren't going to like this movie for various reasons like not being accurate to the games and get over it.

Ohh, gotcha, sorry! I didn't know the context.

Definitely agree.

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

I think the new shoes will be similar to these. The shoes seen in that leaked picture look very close like that.:

spacer.png

It’s look a lot closer to the game shoes.

I'm surprised they didn't cut a deal with Nike for these instead of with a company that just made some ugly shoes with Green Hill Zone colors tiled across them. I know the Nike Ultra XT's weren't even meant to tie in with Sonic (I had looked them up and they were from a line that had multiple colors) but these were just staring them in the face the whole time.

It's weird how this movie's apologists just take it for granted that Sonic doesn't have anything worthwhile from the characters and setting as designed by Naka, Naoto, and Iizuka together. And they say we're the negative ones.

12 hours ago, Sean said:

My point being that I don't want to hear this:

from someone who also says this:

You really expected the Archie comics to be like the games? It's called adaptation for a reason, with a unique story of course. These issues are simply "not my Sonic" and "ew Freedom Fighters."

or in other words, just deal with the fact that people aren't going to like this movie for various reasons like not being accurate to the games and get over it. I don't know what it is about this fucking movie that gets people defending it for every critique it gets when it is fair game to criticize every other Sonic adaptation for its detours from the game canon. And it's fine to not like certain Sonic canons for that reason, so why are the people disliking this film being unreasonable?

You really expected dead non-relevant characters from a '90s show to be in a completely new Sonic the Hedgehog book that relies heavily on Modern Sonic just so they could please the SatAM fans? I'm not expecting Sticks in it so why the FFs?

Don't call me (basically) a hypocrite ever again for these silly arguments. I never said disliking the film is unreasonable, it's fine not to like it period, I said I accept different opinions and I'm trying to be nicer. Don't insist in luring me into this argument because I don't want to be a part of it anymore. I'm done.

6 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Don't call me (basically) a hypocrite ever again for these silly arguments. I never said disliking the film is unreasonable, it's fine not to like it period, I said I accept different opinions and I'm trying to be nicer. Don't insist in luring me into this argument because I don't want to be a part of it anymore. I'm done.

You did say that, yes, but also when someone gives you detailed reasons why they don't like the film (that you asked for) you didn't just accept it and move on like the open-minded individual you want to present yourself as; you dismissed it as them not liking the movie for being different. The entire point of Sean's post is that you do the same thing, but then you storm into this thread and try to shout down people because they aren't pleased with the film no matter what they say about it.

I don't know how much clearer I can make this for you.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

Sorry to add fuel to the wild speculation, but we'll be reaching the movie's original planned release date of November 8th next week.

I'm not going to be so bold as to say "oh yeah, we are totally getting a trailer then," but that date does mark roughly three months until its actual release. With the standees coming out of the woodwork, it's enough to make you wonder.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Tails and Amy were in this movie and the robots were Badniks, I think it would have went over a lot better with fans.

This is what I would have done:

- Build the story around Sonic and friends (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy) having accidentally teleported to Earth (from Mobius) through Chaos control. They crash land on Earth in a random dirt road which happens to be near a military zone. They are captured by the Government & taken to Area 51. They escape but the Government still has the Chaos Emeralds and are doing experiments with them (lead by Dr. Ivo Robotnik). 

Sonic and the gang find a hideout to reside in (Underground railroad station) as they plan out what to do and how they are going to get the Chaos Emeralds back so they can use them to go home. Sonic gets impatient and wants to explore this new world so after a confrontation with Knuckles, he does. 

Cue scene of Sonic running around San Francisco. Running into cars, running up buildings, being frightened by his new surroundings, causing all sorts of mischief all the while freaking people out. Eventually, the police get involved and this leads to an intense chase action sequence all up and down a highway. One of the cops is Tom. Sonic sneaks into the backseat of his car to lose the cops. Tom doesn't know this. The chase is over as they can't find Sonic and the lieutenant officer calls it in. 

Tom drives home and as he's parking in his garage, Sonic pops out. Cue the funny scene where Tom freaks out. Eventually, Sonic explains how he got here, how the chase was a misunderstanding, he also tells Tom (and his wife who is a veterinarian) about his friends. 

Meanwhile, Robotnik and co are experimenting with the emeralds. An accident ensues as Robotnik accidently taps into the Master emerald and he's blasted by a huge wave of energy.  

Act break- enter Act 2:

Summarization:in

- Sonic takes Tom and Anna to his friends and they become their human allies. They let them stay at their house

- Robotnik wakes up in the Hospital. is driven insane by the blast and starts building Badniks in secret. All Badniks are powered by the energy of the Chaos Emeralds and modeled after bugs/animals

- Sonic and friends become social media sensations after they go public

- Amy develops a relationship with Anna & she takes her shopping. Tails and Sonic grow closer as they build the Tornado together as part of their plan 

- Scene of Sonic running In a canyon to really test his speed & Robotnik sends some proto Buzz Bombers after him. Action sequence

- Robotnik becoming more and more obsessed with Sonic

I still like to believe that this is supposed to be Sonic 1 and that's why Sonic and Robotnik are the only two characters from the game. Even if it's not an insanely accurate representation of it.

(Potential spoilers)

I think that this is supposed to be a film series, and that the next film is going to be Sonic 2 (that is if this movie does well in box office and gets decent reviews). My theory is that at the end of THIS movie (Sonic 1), Sonic will go back to his home planet and Robotnik will follow him. The entire 2nd movie will probably be fully animated and introduce Tails and Sonic's brotherly relationship.

28 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I still like to believe that this is supposed to be Sonic 1 and that's why Sonic and Robotnik are the only two characters from the game. Even if it's not an insanely accurate representation of it.

It's... not a representation of it in any way shape or form. If anything, this would take place before Sonic 1. 

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

It's probably more like a "Movie losely based on the Sonic the hedgehog game franchise" sort of deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, just thought I would drop my thoughts here:

No matter how much you change the design, I still will not see the movie. It's just slightly more tolerable to look at now. But the movie is not what I see in the spirit of Sonic, nor what I feel in love with as a child. There is still a plot that leaves a lot to be desired, a humour that feels on par with other children's films that speak down to their intelligence, and characters that do not feel fitting of the world of Sonic. I've watched enough audience surrogate characters, that I already know who Tom the Cop is, and don't like him. Jim Carrey is... fine as Eggman, but definitely not representative of him.

Before there's even some response that elicits that I do not like the movie on some simplistic factors, I accepted Sonic Boom wholeheartedly, and thought that Sonic Forces would turn out well. I have opinions that might not align with the majority, because they are my opinions alone. And through my opinions, I feel that this film does not represent Sonic. It's lacking, it's boring, it's hardly a faithful adaptation. I feel I've already seen the movie before it came out, because it fits so perfectly into cookie-cutter templates for a low-effort family-friendly film based on an old property.

It's more than the design. If the first design already had enough faith in it by the production team, that it got into a trailer, I do not trust them enough to get anything else right. My views on this film will not turn easily over things like changing a design.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Fist Bump 1

My lack of interest in seeing this movie is the same as why I've never sat down and watched a single full episode of Sonic Underground, so...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

5 minutes ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

Hey, just thought I would drop my thoughts here:

No matter how much you change the design, I still will not see the movie. It's just slightly more tolerable to look at now. But the movie is not what I see in the spirit of Sonic, nor what I feel in love with as a child. There is still a plot that leaves a lot to be desired, a humour that feels on par with other children's films that speak down to their intelligence, and characters that do not feel fitting of the world of Sonic. I've watched enough audience surrogate characters, that I already know who Tom the Cop is, and don't like him. Jim Carrey is... fine as Eggman, but definitely not representative of him.

Before there's even some response that elicits that I do not like the movie on some simplistic factors, I accepted Sonic Boom wholeheartedly, and thought that Sonic Forces would turn out well. I have opinions that might not align with the majority, because they are my opinions alone. And through my opinions, I feel that this film does not represent Sonic. It's lacking, it's boring, it's hardly a faithful adaptation. I feel I've already seen the movie before it came out, because it fits so perfectly into cookie-cutter templates for a low-effort family-friendly film based on an old property.

It's more than the design. If the first design already had enough faith in it by the production team, that it got into a trailer, I do not trust them enough to get anything else right. My views on this film will not turn easily over things like changing a design.

Someone frame this coment, because that's it. That's exactly what this movie feels like and will likely end up being.

17 hours ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

Before there's even some response that elicits that I do not like the movie on some simplistic factors, I accepted Sonic Boom wholeheartedly, and thought that Sonic Forces would turn out well.

At least with Sonic Boom, I still got Sonic vibes. At least it was established early on by SEGA that this was a separate canon/branch of the franchise, so it wasn't going to be exactly like main series Sonic. And, at least with Sonic Forces, it felt like a Sonic game to me. Obviously it's up for debate whether it's a good game or not, but still, it feels like a game that would make sense in the Sonic canon/universe.

This movie? I still don't know what it's supposed to be. Honestly, if you took out Sonic himself and replaced him with any other character, the movie wouldn't really feel all that different. There's nothing about this movie that gives me a Sonic vibe. At all. It comes off to me as a generic family-friendly comedy film and nothing more. Why? The Sonic universe has so much life, personality and charm. How do you ignore all that and create...this? I just don't understand it.

I think that's what is the most frustrating about this. The movie didn't have to be like this. It just needed a little love and passion behind it. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure everyone put a lot of time, hard work and effort into making this. But there's a difference between making a Sonic movie because you love Sonic, and making a Sonic movie because you can. And it feels like they wanted to make a Sonic movie...just because they could.

• Thumbs Up 4

Anyone else legitimately looking forward to the movie especially with the redesign

any fan casts for a possible sequel

if they can get the rights to the character I would want to see John Cleese as Colonel Percy Granite from the fleetway comics

• Thumbs Up 1

While the updated design is better, I still hold my opinion that this movie would've been better if it was 1. Animated fully, and 2. Stuck more inline with the actual video games. We have games with fun, deep and some dark themes in them already. They could've redid or retold Sonic Adventure in full 3D. How cool would've it had been to see a full fight with Perfect Chaos and Bio-Hazard at the big screen? Why do we NEED tom the boring cop to stuff Sonic in a bookbag for cheap laughs instead of Sonic cracking jokes running from an oversized monster truck tearing though Station Square? Why place Sonic on boring stupid normal earth when we could be seeing the zany out of control earth that's in the games? 

I will never understand the -NEED- to put him in the human world and make that the POINT. WE already have sonic in the human world.. it's called every sonic game on Dreamcast. SA1 and SA2 to my point. I guess in other words it wasn't a point we needed to explain. He was just THERE and it WORKED. Paramount has no respect for the canon and choose for worst to make up some boring plain fish out the water plot where they could've went completely SciFI and gave us a true sonic story where Sonic goes up against Eggman and all his kool insane mechs. Rant over. 

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are the movie for me. Not CareBears/Smurfs/boring the teddy bear retold with a sonic the hedgehog wannabe rip off model :c

• Thumbs Up 2