Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

The international trailer has indeed a few extra scenes. 

When Sonic asks if The Rock is the president, does that mean that he has travelled to Earth before? How Sonic knows him? Is The Rock a Sonic character now? 😂

• Chuckle 3

Oh god, Schwartz and Carrey are so much better in this compared to last time. I liked the idea of them playing these characters before, but the performances felt half-hearted and phoned-in in that first trailer. Now though? It's the total opposite, I'm really digging them. It feels like they're actually having FUN playing these guys, and I actually have fun watching these dudes do their thing now as a result.

I'm also gonna repeat a few points that everyone else has said so far. The plot setup still looks really dumb; you can definitely tell that this started off as a Sony film, lol.

Sonic's new design looks absolutely adorable, and his animation especially looks great now! He's so much more expressive and everything! I can actually immediately tell what emotion he's feeling now and he's so much more lively too! It's incredible how quickly they turned things around. There are some points in the trailer where the CG in general didn't really blend in all that well with the live-action footage [a few of the shots at Tom's house and at the bar come to mind], but I think that aspect's way better now too shockingly. I thought they were gonna really rush through that part, and yeah I guess they did for those parts, but the ratio of VFX shots that looked convincing versus those that didn't was actually much higher compared to last time, I feel.

Now onto the parts that I'm kinda ashamed to admit. I actually laughed at some of the comedy here. Like, genuine laughter, no sense of irony behind it whatsoever. The performances showcased here and the more dynamic animation helped out a lot in its favour. I dunno if it's because the first trailer set the bar so low that I'm feeling this way as a result, but I'm baffled that they managed to kinda turn that aspect around.

The action looks great too! The cinematography in those bits were genuinely breathtaking and just, wow, they're just absolutely solid. Nothing else to say here but, dang.

I feel like I'm just going insane. According to everything we knew and saw from this film up until now, I should not be genuinely enjoying this as much as I do. And who knows, if the final film ends up being total dogshit regardless, I'll take back everything nice I said in this post. I'm still really cautious about this though. Again, the plot, the single most important aspect of any film, still looks really stupid and is a typical "kooky CG character hangs out in the real world!" kind of story, and it's gonna hurt this film a lot in the long run. But everything else about it? I honestly enjoyed it. Obviously not great, but I had fun watching it. Gonna wait for impressions & reviews on this one before I consider even seeing this in the cinema though, as I'm still pretty weary about it, but I digress.

Spoiler

Also, Green Hill looks absolutely marvelous and I'm so pissed that it's prolly only gonna be in this film for like 5 minutes of the total runtime. Like why would you waste such a gorgeous-looking setpiece, ughh.

Plus bonus points for the trailer for feeling like an actual trailer for an actual film this time. Weird point, I know. But the first trailer was cut in such a way that it felt like a parody of video game films that you'd see on CollegeHumor or something, so I at least gotta give whoever cut this one some props, I guess.

And one last note, Blitzkrieg Bop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gangster's Paradise!!

• Thumbs Up 4

Much better trailer and I like the new posters. I know it's going to be silly, but i'm looking really forward to this. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Watched the trailer on my phone earlier but now had chance to watch it on my computer. So beautiful! The scene in the hotel room with Sonic balancing on the table like in the games, having a pillow fight with himself, love it.

It all feels like a completely different movie to what we were initially shown. The animation and expressions surely weren't completed in those short few months.

Also noticed that Tom's gun now has an orange tip compared to the original trailer.

Honestly this just looks like generic Hollywood crap. Why people like Paramount and Eddie Lebron think a Sonic movie should be live-action is nonsensical, Sonic should be animated, as demonstrated by the fact that the bit in Green Hill is the best part of this trailer.

I would take a fully animated film by Marza ala Night of the Werehog over this anyday.

Also I think the movie is now less appealing to go see if I'm totally honest. Before at the very least it had the "OMG THIS IS THE BIGGEST TRAINWRECK EVER" appeal to it, it was a great way to scare people and making them cringe, now it's just a generic movie with nothing about it standing out that will be forgotten quickly.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, PeterPancake said:

This trailer makes me question that leaked plot from months ago. Did they reshoot and rewrite Sonic's origin?

Probably, because that leaked plot had some really bad shit. It said that Sonic was an alien that crashed on Earth and was raised by an owl. Green Hill was not even mentioned.

Looks like I was right on the money with the re-writen origin story showing Sonic in his world (which OF COURSE is Green Hill, but it looks great TBH) travelling to our world through a portal (which is a giant ring like the ones in Sonic 1 and CD).

Jim Carrey still calls Sonic "an alien" in the trailer tho'. But since he doesn't know what Sonic is, "an alien" would be just a quick guess.

• Thumbs Up 3

Gah, even in the movies GHZ is a boost corridor. They'll never get this 3D thing right. # Ruined Forever.

lol. Seriously tho - Massive improvement. The design speaks for itself. It'll take some time before I can compare it on its own merits because the original take was just so unappealing, but you only need to look at a single side by side comparison to see just how much of a quantum leap this was. Without the specter of that gremlin hanging over you, it becomes possible to actually try to enjoy everything else.

The tone was much better and even the jokes had a better hit rate. Even got a look at what is undoubtedly the movie's money shot, which in undoubtedly all kinds of cool.

Still, this movie has plenty of hurdles to get over, as most of the problems we saw going into it still remain. As much as I like Jim C, he's going to have to sell me on him as Robotnik. It might take a "I hate that Hedgehog" to do it, but they have yet to give me something to latch onto there. He's just scientist named Robotnik at this point. And I still have no idea how they intend to keep Sonic's speed consistent with his feats, while maintaining the threat level throughout the movie. Sonic can yeet his way off the continent with his speed or warp rings in an instant. How in the world does Robotnik and/or military pose enough of a roadblock to corner him in a house? Super Speed is so hard to write for and I feel like its going to create a truckload of problems to the belivability of the narrative.

• Chuckle 1

Just now, Jango said:

Jim Carrey still calls Sonic "an alien" in the trailer tho'. But since he doesn't know what Sonic is, "an alien" would be just a quick guess.

I've seen the occasional sci fi stuff that refers to beings from other dimensions as aliens. It technically fits the definition, I guess?

• Thumbs Up 5

The plot is easy to read. This trailer and last one has given enough information to the plot. I can already see what happens most likely the china Egypt fight is the end fight and sonic tricks eggman through a warp gate to mushroom hill and seals it thinking he isn't a threat. Que the end scene where eggman puts on his goggles as he starts to invade and transform the land and creatures he finds. *doubtful on this part but* End credit will show tails. Probably just his tails are briefly shown.

*edit* I may actually buy a entire row of seats and put sonic plushies I own in them

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jango said:

When Sonic asks if The Rock is the president, does that mean that he has travelled to Earth before? How Sonic knows him? Is The Rock a Sonic character now?

I think the implication is that Sonic has been hiding on earth for a considerable amount of time by this point so he’s had enough time to learn about a bit of its culture.

Sonic the hedgehog in this movie sounds and acts almost exactly like Dewey Duck from Ducktales 2017 and that was actually very distracting to me during the trailer.

Generic Improvement Praise: Sonic looks better

1039959891_Screenshot_2019-11-12SonicTheHedgehog-NewOfficialTrailerMTVMovies-YouTube.png.285f7146c4df183eb298212f73a37b85.png

Negative Face Reaction

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure what to think about the apparently changed plot, on the one hand Sonic makes a The Rock reference and we see his home on human world so... He could have lived in our world as a kid like in the leak. But then you see him in Green Hill with his adult design, and mentions he has to escape his world, a totally different plot, makes me wonder if that rumor was true and they had two cuts of the movie, one with less Annie and one with more, which could have an entirely different plot. And apparently they are using the latter, not the leaks. I mean the leaks have actually proven correct for most things, which is Why I'm not basically saying, yeah they were fake... I'm confused, the only thing I can think of is they had a different version of the movie ready, and opted for that one because in press screenings it was the better received one. And added the new design in it.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic the hedgehog in this movie sounds and acts almost exactly like Dewey Duck from Ducktales 2017 and that was actually very distracting to me during the trailer.

Well, that's Ben's other current role and the way Sonic is acting in this trailer is pretty darn similar to Dewey in that show, so...I guess he figured he'd stil to what he knows? It kinda works. In a weird sorta way.

Anyways, his look? His arms are STILL the wrong goddamn color and I'm going to forever be bothered by it. His eyes keep swtching from seeming kinda odd to being kinda cute. Overall, though, it's way better than before. I'm glad for the improvements, but not excited for the movie. Just the better reception it'll get.

I'll watch it when the digital version comes out unless I end up going to the theaters on a movie date again.

i like the design quite a lot. it fits in with the previous core designs very well, and overall he just looks really appealing.

i think the movie doesn't seem half bad, either. it's far from being an avant-garde masterpiece of cinema, but it looks like a fun watch, at least as far as i'm concerned. way more palatable than other animation/live-action hybrids. i'll probably watch it after the inevitable netflix release.

39 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well, it's...definitely less horrifying. Bumped it up from "utter disaster" to "technically watchable". Sonic's design and animation still look a little awkward at times but he looks about as good as you could expect from a misguided CGI/live action mashup adaptation of an old cartoony property, certainly miles better than the horrible little gremlin they had before. That's about the best I can say about it, though; Sonic seems like a hyperactive kid and...weirdly kind of helpless at the start? Like okay this is kind of an origin story, this is a younger and less experienced Sonic, but it's a little weird to go from, say, SA2's "I'm gonna leap from a helicopter, evade military robots and the world's most reckless truck driver, and take down a war mech without breaking a sweat" to "I'm going to hide under a table from one guy in a suit and his little egg drone", especially when he's clearly already been doing superhuman stunts just for fun. Though I guess given the rest of the trailer that won't last too long so whatever. Otherwise it kinda feels like Sonic's more a vehicle for gags and action scenes rather than a character. Carrey's Robotnik is still so-so; he's not much like any existing Eggman/Robotnik but I at least appreciate that the energy he's bringing has a similar vibe at times. Tom...continues to exist, for some reason. GHZ looks nice but mostly makes me wish the whole movie was there.

Still not something I care enough to go see in theaters, but when it makes it to Netflix or whatever, yeah, I'll give it a watch, probably.

I mean Sonic is supposed to be a 15 year old kid.Makes sense he'd act this way. Always was weird despite his age in the game he and everyone else acted like grown adults.

3 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Well, that's Ben's other current role and the way Sonic is acting in this trailer is pretty darn similar to Dewey in that show, so...I guess he figured he'd stil to what he knows? It kinda works. In a weird sorta way.

I know it's how some actors do, but for me it's similar to the problem people have with Jim Carrey at the moment...only it's something I'm familiar with.

• Thumbs Up 1