Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I'm not going to pass any judgement until I've actually seen this for myself if it even comes out at all, but I will have to admit..I'm skeptical about this. we've seen a few times already that any attempts at taking something animated or a video game franchise and turning it into a live action movie didn't exactly yield the best results (Super Mario Bros. and Dragonball Evolution, just to name a couple), and there is also talk of a live action adaptation of Bleach having been green lit (again, just providing an example here, not changing topics). 

I'm just saying, when you take into consideration of how the Sonic fan-base tends to usually have high expectations for the video games, you can only expect those demands to be even higher for a live action film, so depending on how well they manage to pull this of (if it comes into fruition at all), we may see something that is definitely worth watching or may just be yet another example of why movies like this shouldn't be attempted.

That's my two cents.

Well, I've not much to say. I hope this takes place in the game canon and has a good story. Hopefully they do retain most of the game cast. 

After hearing Roger in Wreck-it Ralph, he really has to stay as Sonic for me. While this movie if it happens may not be good as WiR, I hope it does quite well. 

We'll see.

Funny thing about the Super Mario Brothers movie, I actually think Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo were good choices for Mario and Luigi.  

As for this, we've got basically nothing on it so far.  Kind of hope this is mostly being made outside the ordinary Hollywood system.  

Provided this isn't a live action film, I've got high hopes. I think we've determined that with a few exceptions, video games just are not meant for live action. The CGI can (and will) look atrocious in most of the cases. Never mind having to hire physical actors probably doesn't bode well for the budget with the amount they need to be paid. Staying purely animated allows for voice actors, who generally don't need as much pay.

I mean, as has been said, Roger Craig Smith gets coffee and donuts money for his Sonic role. It'd make perfect sense to keep the game actors, and not too outlandish, as that's what Ratchet is doing too from what I can see.

Sonic's just not meant to be shown in the real world. I hope to God if any humans appear they resist the urge to have them be actual people.

Hmm, Personally I hope Marza has something to do with it, and that it's similar to the intro to Sonic Unleashed. That'd be pretty sweet. It'd be really really awesome if Wreck-it Ralph could somehow cameo in the movie too, (Fix-it Felix Jr in the background of a scene?) For reals though, I wouldn't mind at all if they borrowed the Unleashed/Colours/Generations (Pixar) style. If they write it as though it was the plot to one of the more cohesive games, I figure it'd be fine. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the 3'rd Nintendo-exclusive Sonic game was based on this movie (or vice versa), by Sony pictures? XD lolol.

What I'd want to know, is who would be scoring the movie? I'd hope it'd be Sega's usual culprits. I'd die if someone like Naofumi Hataya could score the film and have it all epic and Sonic CD'ish. Gaaaah. Sonic and hip hop  beats and funk music.... gskgfdsgdsgfds It works so well. I just wish Naganuma was still over there hanging out with SEGA!

(They had better release a soundtrack)

(....PS, if they use the game actors (likely), oh lord Amy's voice... XD)

• Thumbs Up 4

"If you leave your game, stay safe, stay alert, and whatever you do, don't die. Cause if you die outside your own game, you don't regenerate. EVER. Game over!"

We need Roger to stay. I have to say, I like him more than Griffith, and Drummond won't want to come back after the whole get rid of his talent union fiasco.

Love the amount of people in thread worrying that it'll be based off Sonic Boom because Sonic Boom sucks.....yeah I give up....there really is no fanbase like the sonic fanbabse for writing off a project before it's even announced....

I'm excited to hear these domains have been registered. Obviously it doesn't mean that anything will actually happen but seeing as Sonic seems to be at his most popular since the 90's (at least in terms of merch being released) now seems like the best time to release a film. Animated films do well generally anyway, even if kids aren't familiar with sonic, their parents'll still take them just to give them something to do.

I'll restrict my excitement until it's actually announced but yeah...this could be pretty cool.

Love the amount of people in thread worrying that it'll be based off Sonic Boom because Sonic Boom sucks.....yeah I give up....there really is no fanbase like the sonic fanbabse for writing off a project before it's even announced....

You should've seen the Ben 10 fanbase when they saw Omniverse's art direction.

metal sonic looking under her skirt and sonic seeing this

tails grabbing boobs

sonic and his middle finger

rated r

They'll keep the scene of sonic hitting his (non-existant) balls on Eggman's mech tho

they'll probably show it a lot in the trailers too

because apparently kids love that kind of stuff

• Thumbs Up 2

"If you leave your game, stay safe, stay alert, and whatever you do, don't die. Cause if you die outside your own game, you don't regenerate. EVER. Game over!"

We need Roger to stay. I have to say, I like him more than Griffith, and Drummond won't want to come back after the whole get rid of his talent union fiasco.

Smith is basically the best actor to take on the role, second only to Jun'ichi Kanemaru, IMO. The man can actually act and emote. Lost World didn't have a great story, but a decent script, and it goes to show that the Smith can do very well with the character given the right material to read from. SEGA's just squandering his talent. Griffith made a lot of strides and improvements along the way, but he still had a tendency to get too hammy or emphasize the wrong parts of lines (so it just sounds awkward). Not to the extreme that his role of Cilan in the Pokémon Best Wishes series, but a couple levels below that. Drummond started out good in SA1, but then decided to toss anything natural about his voice out the window (Sonic just "sounds cool" the whole time fin SA2 and Heroes). I'm not sad that we lost him at all. Sucks about how SEGA wanted him to quit his union and do a lot of work for free, as that's just shitty, but I wouldn't have wanted him back in the role anyway.

We don't even need to get started on VAs, we'll be on it for decades. Besides, Drummond is the best voice for Sonic and with good direction could trump Roger in every way I'm sure the game VAs will stay around, and they'd most likely do fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

If there is going to be a Sonic movie, I'm probably going to wait for the Japanese version to be released, since I prefer those voices over any of the English dub casts. After all, none of the English voices even come close to their Japanese counterparts, imo. But yeah, we know nothing about the film, so it's too early to discuss the voice acting as of yet, assuming it is real.

Just as with Boom, the game VA's would most likely be kept as much as was possible. I'd guess it only wouldn't be the case if they decided to replace much of the cast with 'real' celebrities. You know what would be really, really awful? If this movie were to end up as a live-action and CGI hybrid. Even if Sonic and co. looked normal, the idea of them walking about the real world with real humans is just.. bleugh. If they went down the "omg video game characters in the real world" route, that would definitely be a worrying possibility.

This is all really pointless to talk about though. We might as well not even know that these domains exist for all that it actually matters.

If there is going to be a Sonic movie, I'm probably going to wait for the Japanese version to be released, since I prefer those voices over any of the English dub casts. After all, none of the English voices even come close to their Japanese counterparts, imo. But yeah, we know nothing about the film, so it's too early to discuss the voice acting as of yet, assuming it is real.

If it has anything to do with Boom, it probably won't get localised in Japan. I certainly can't imagine that Boom will at least.

You know what would be really, really awful? If this movie were to end up as a live-action and CGI hybrid. 

Sonic X: The Movie confirmed, starring <insert annoying young male celebrity here> as the legendary hero, Chris Thorndyke!

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic X: The Movie confirmed, starring Justin Beiber as the legendary hero, Chris Thorndyke!

It makes you shudder, doesn't it?

There are more ways for them to go wrong with a Sonic movie than otherwise. Of course we all know how bad movie tie-in games are. And how SEGA is especially bad at making them. And also how bad Sonic games are. Recipe for success right there!

• Thumbs Up 3

IMO, I don't really care about the voice actors either way. But I agree that if they use famous voice actors, they should give them to the whole cast, since giving just one to, say, Tails, it would be distracting, since he'd be the only character who got a fancy popular voice.

If they do make the movie, my only hopes are that is not live-action (and preferably has an animation style like Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, dat noodly animation), it's not based on Archie or SatAM, and that it has a decent plot.

Aaaaand, IDK that's it. I don't care if they keep the videogame voice cast or not, if they don't atleast get a person who can resemble the voices.

Also Griffith master race off with you and your Japanese dudes

I honest to God hope that the movie wouldn't be bombarded with any meta and/or self-refrential humor. Maybe a joke about Sonic losing his rings once or twice would be funny, but reminding us that it's a video game series or that the premise is absurd again and again would be tiring. :v

• Thumbs Up 1

Just as with Boom, the game VA's would most likely be kept as much as was possible. I'd guess it only wouldn't be the case if they decided to replace much of the cast with 'real' celebrities. You know what would be really, really awful? If this movie were to end up as a live-action and CGI hybrid. Even if Sonic and co. looked normal, the idea of them walking about the real world with real humans is just.. bleugh. If they went down the "omg video game characters in the real world" route, that would definitely be a worrying possibility.

This is all really pointless to talk about though. We might as well not even know that these domains exist for all that it actually matters.

If it has anything to do with Boom, it probably won't get localised in Japan. I certainly can't imagine that Boom will at least.

You have a point there... dammit, there's just so many possibilities for this to go horribly, horribly wrong. I hope this turns out well, but knowing SEGA's track record with adaptations of the series in the past... *shudders* Please don't screw this up, Sony.

*We see 1 silhouette for Sonic Boom* *Knuckles looks buff* *One of Sonic's spikes is showing that normally doesn't show* CARTOON RUINED! If the Sonic Movie that we know nothing about is based on Knuckles' buff shadow it will suck!111 

• Thumbs Up 4

*We see 1 silhouette for Sonic Boom* *Knuckles looks buff* *One of Sonic's spikes is showing that normally doesn't show* CARTOON RUINED! If the Sonic Movie that we know nothing about is based on Knuckles' buff shadow it will suck!111 

That's because they're messing up a long-standing design out of the blue. It's just not cool at all.

If there is something I like about Knuckles (and many other people do), is that while it's one of the franchise's power characters, it's not buff by default, showing that power can come even in small packages. Making him buff all out of sudden not only makes no sense, but it also defeats that whole idea honestly.

And more so with Sonic, the fact that they suddenly change his design, even a little bit, is outraging. You're playing with a world-famous icon right here, and besides the change they gave to him in 1998 was minimum, yet people went apeshit. Do you even fanthom what would happened if they tweaked their design even more?

And also, it's not confirmed that it will be based off Sonic Boom. We know nothing about it.

That's because they're messing up a long-standing design out of the blue. It's just not cool at all.

If there is something I like about Knuckles (and many other people do), is that while it's one of the franchise's power characters, it's not buff by default, showing that power can come even in small packages. Making him buff all out of sudden not only makes no sense, but it also defeats that whole idea honestly.

And more so with Sonic, the fact that they suddenly change his design, even a little bit, is outraging. You're playing with a world-famous icon right here, and besides the change they gave to him in 1998 was minimum, yet people went apeshit. Do you even fanthom what would happened if they tweaked their design even more?

And also, it's not confirmed that it will be based off Sonic Boom. We know nothing about it.

I wasn't being serious that it will be based off Boom, was making fun of people's overreactions. I don't want the designs tampered with either, but that won't completely wreck the show like some people are making it out to be. The only reason people hate Boom is because of the silhouettes, we have no idea what the show is even like.

• Thumbs Up 1