Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

18 minutes ago, molul said:

Sorry for the rant, but if it's having live action, it's gonna suck. I mean, c'mon. Chances that it won't are like 1%.

Not just it being a mix of cartoony CG and live action, all live action movies suck. That's right, fuck Citizen Kane, the best movie ever made is Who Framed Roger Ra-oh

Since nobody bothered to read my last post. ( not trying to be a jerk )

I stated that the best idea they use with live-action/CGI is by to have all the characters including the humans with Smash Bros Brawl-esque cartoony semi realistic models and using real sets and locations for the live action part of the film.

That said, I'd very much prefer a fully animated CGI Sonic film instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also wasn't Paddington a CG/Live-action hybrid but it was good?

Can't see why the same can't be said for this movie especially since Van did took the time to play through the games and understand the stories for those games and I'm guessing trying to get the proper middle-ground tone that seems to fit the series the best. 

I can understand wanting just a full-on animated Sonic film but I'm more than willing to see how they could pull off a CGI/live-action Sonic flick and if it works, then I will be ecstatic!

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Detective-Dude said:

If anybody bothered to read my last post. ( not trying to be a jerk )

I stated that the best idea they use with live-action/CGI is by to have all the characters including the humans with Smash Bros Brawl-esque cartoony semi realistic models and using real sets and locations for the live action part of the film.

That said, I'd very much prefer a fully animated CGI Sonic film instead.

I did read your post. I'm sorry for not responding, but I just don't see the point in making the humans CGI. Sure, it would keep Eggman from looking out of place, but that would just make the decision to make this movie live action even more pointless.

Perhaps it's due to what Haruki Satomi stated. Many fans are not confident on what Sega does with Sonic, and they won't until some good quality products are delivered.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

I did read your post. I'm sorry for not responding, but I just don't see the point in making the humans CGI. Sure, it would keep Eggman from looking out of place, but that would just make the decision to make this movie live action even more pointless.

It's alright.

Well I guess you're right about live-action being pointless since we might as well make everything CGI but I'm all out of ideas then. I really don't want another 06 situation that has real life people with a bunch of giant uncanny multicolored furries running around. They might even give Eggman another 06 like design!:wacko:

Let's hope they don't screw it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TimmiT said:

Not just it being a mix of cartoony CG and live action, all live action movies suck. That's right, fuck Citizen Kane, the best movie ever made is Who Framed Roger Ra-oh

Hell,  we've even had our fair share of legit good live-action video game movie adaptations like Tekken and the Ace Attorney movie. 

3 minutes ago, Detective-Dude said:

It's alright.

Well I guess you're right about live-action being pointless since we might as well make everything CGI but I'm all out of ideas then. I really don't want another 06 situation that has real life people with a bunch of giant uncanny multicolored furries running around. They might even give Eggman another 06 like design!:wacko:

Let's hope they don't screw it up.

Yeah, that is the big problem, isn't it, figuring out what they're going to do with Eggman in the movie since he's a human, rather than another funny animal? You either make all the humans CG, rendering the live action gimmick entirely pointless, or you have Eggman be portrayed by a live actor. In that scenario, even if you find someone that looks the part pretty well, you still have Eggman without Mike Pollock's glorious performance, which just ain't gonna fly.

As much as I love Mike Pollock, he is not the sole voice of the character. Others who came before him did their own take on the doctor and did a great job with it. I don't think Eggman's voice will be an issue. My only concern is that a live-action Eggman would look rather goofy. I think in order to make it work, they're going to have to change his wardrobe a bit, and not use a lot of bright colors. He needs a more subdued look.

I think Danny DeVito could be a fun Eggman. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else to play a live-action Eggman. If it's not DeVito, make him CG with Pollock's voice.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Myst said:

As much as I love Mike Pollock, he is not the sole voice of the character. Others who came before him did their own take on the doctor and did a great job with it. I don't think Eggman's voice will be an issue. My only concern is that a live-action Eggman would look rather goofy. I think in order to make it work, they're going to have to change his wardrobe a bit, and not use a lot of bright colors. He needs a more subdued look.

I do know that. I worded that last bit differently (using the word "ain't," which I normally never use) to convey that I was speaking in a semi-joking manner there. However, with the way SEGA's been using the same voice actors for all Sonic media since Sonic X, I don't see why they would replace Mike Pollock for his big screen debut, especially knowing how popular he is.

Speaking of voices. I really hope they stay faithful to the games by having the Sonic cast maintain their regular VAs and do not use a celebrity cast for this movie.

That's of the last things it needs and just for the record, not only should this apply to Sonic but to every film adaption of any cartoon/video game in general. Same thing with character redesigns.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have had a little faith restored in Sony Pictures with the images of the animated Smurfs movie reboot they posted earlier today. Clearly they have someone in charge that actually has a love and respect of the original source material this time around. If it ends up respecting the original material then I'm still all for a movie being made.

• Thumbs Up 4

What annoys me is everybody coming to the conclusion that it's somehow guaranteed to be bad, despite the fact that we literally haven't even see any physical aspect(s) of the movie whatsoever yet.  The only thing we know about it right now is that it's of Sonic brand, and is set for 2018.

So many ignorant people who don't think things through... -____-

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Detective Indigo said:

Name me one CGI-Live Action kids film in the past decade that's been good.

One.

Paddington.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Detective Hogfather said:

Paddington.

I actually haven't heard of this one. Is it because it's actually good?

EDIT: Just saw the trailer. Toilet humor. Are you sure?

Just now, Detective Indigo said:

I actually haven't heard of this one. Is it because it's actually good?

Yup. Really good.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Detective Indigo said:

One.

Sponge Out of Water

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Detective Indigo said:

One.

The Lego Movie, stretching here but it was listed as CGI/Live Action. Like Hogfather said, Paddington was too, not brilliant or groundbreaking, but it was a good fun family movie that rated highly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm. Fair enough. Haven't seen it. (Spongebob, that is - LEGO Movie is a good point, but that was 90% CG)

Still though, it's not exactly easy to pull off.

We have every reason to be doubtful. :P