Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

OK, watched the first minute to see your point, but wasn't Hotel Transylvania received decently? And Cloudy very well? And is Angry Birds even out?

And, I haven't seen any of them, but at the very least, from what I can tell, Cloudy (and Surf's Up) looks great, so I don't see why it's so good Sony isn't animating,.

5 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Read my last post. 

That has nothing to do with the fact that if SPA were contracted out for this film's CGI animation like Marza is being contracted then that's all they would be responsible for, and the review supports the belief that their animation quality is good. So pointing to the studio's business models as proof that they couldn't produce good animation isn't a sensible argument.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reception isn't the problem. If you watched to the end, you'll get what the problem is. Things aren't going well over there. They're losing they're creative talent, (even losing Chris Miller) and insider info is revealing that they aren't good company to work with. 

http://variety.com/2014/artisans/news/sony-emails-reveal-failed-efforts-to-recruit-lego-directors-to-run-animation-unit-1201378259/

In fact, in his Hotel Transylvania review he shows a comment from a guy who worked on Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs that didn't seem to have the best things to say about them (skip to 5:09 and pause to read it, if you want to read it anyway). 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/22/2016 at 6:54 AM, Detective Hogfather said:

By this logic we could say that all Sonic movies will be terrible because this got made.

Tooshay, but to be fair, it never did get made.  Just a 1 minute scene.

• 2 weeks later...

At  this point, I'm not even sure a new movie will come out - I wonder if Sega does have a long term plan for its mascot - , but this is a good opportunity to hypothesize, anyway. I'm really upset about some things, so don't mind the long rant below.

Spoiler

Why can't Sega - or whatever company responsible for producing a future movie - make something along the lines of the 1996 Sonic OVA? The movie was short and simple, and yet it was considered to be cool and memorable by many fans because it was an accurate representation of what the Sonic games were about, even if it had a few awkward scenes here and there (like Black Eggman/Metal Robotnik shooting chesse from his butt). It was spot on, with its humor, the depiction of the characters, the scenarios - Land of the Sky/Land of Darkness, Eggmanland, the warp zones, the city ruins, etc -, the whole dynamics of Sonic's interaction with Tails and Eggman, shit, even the overall concept of Sonic himself - with those short quills, cool poises and his "got-no-time-for-bullshit" attitude - was faithful to what Sonic is about!

Take away some of the overly cheesy comedy (but keep the same kind of humor without turning the new movie into a comedy itself), build a more complex and mature plot with a solid and convincing central leitmotif, take advantage of ALL the most relevant concepts introduced by the recent games (the ones released from 2000 onward), reformulate the core characters of the Sonic universe - Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, even Eggman - to put some distance between them and the weird models that were introduced with Sonic Boom and make sure the ending is impacting, inspired and  unexpected, much like Metal's death was in that lava pit.

The movie doesn't even need to have fancy animation, with dozens of special effects. The Sonic games already have it and they're still criticized for the lack of a crucial element. Much like they do, the priority should be for the movie to have GOOD CONTENT. Good, entertaining, cleverly built content, with subtle references the fans will immediately pick up and feel grateful the producers understood what they wanted to see when watching it. Preferably something that pays homage to the best the Sonic Universe has to offer, without it just being a bundle of references shoehorned "just to please the fans".

However, all things considered from the way Boom has been dominating the franchise, I'm afraid a future movie would just distance itself further from its core. 

The only thing I'd ask Sega if I could was for it to put a stop to this latest tendency of treating the fans as if they were five years old, such as Sonic calling Eggman Baldy Nose whatever. Or Knuckles not being able to know left from right. Or jokes that aren't in the least funny and simply feel out of place. Or Sonic and Tails being impressed with Eggman's threat toward the Zetis. He used to ROBOTICIZE live animals, for God's sake. He built giant factories that pollute the environment and voraciously consume the planet's resources, to the point they kill all wildlife in the process and forever upset the ecosystem (Sonic 2, Oil Ocean Zone plus numerous other Eggman-dominated Zones from the classic games). He built a killer robot that trashed Sonic and then tried to strangle him (Metal Sonic, OVA). That same robot burned entire forests in another game (Knuckles Chaotix). So what's there to be impressed with regarding such a mild threat? 

And what's with Sonic running away from having an adventurous romance with someone? He's 16 years old now. Even a kid's cartoon such as Sonic SatAm depicted Sonic kissing a girl, Sally, twice. And he's the one that made the move to give her a full-blown kiss. TWICE. 

Sorry for the rant, but I'm upset that, as of lately, Sega chose to ignore ALL the legacy of Sonic and has seemenly decided to go ahead with this Boom business. I don't even hate Boom, I just think it's more of a side story and therefore should be treated as such. There are lots of elements for a great movie - Shadow's life after Maria and the Ark, Silver's unknown biography and how he and Blaze can figure in the Sonic universe again, Eggman's mysterious origin and how he came to be on Sonic's world when his grandfather lived on Earth, Tails' process of growing up and his more recent fighting with Sonic, Metal's fate as Sonic's eternal archnemesis (won't we explore his existence as a robot and see him question his eternal drive to best Sonic?), among many other themes that can easily spawn a new anime series or a movie. So long as the plot is well-built and the characters aren't dumbed down.

3 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

So what does Sega's new licensing/promotional parter have to say about the movie?

http://www.merchantwise.com/childrens-entertainment/sonicthehedgehog.html

"The first ever feature length film ‘Sonic Boom’ from Sony Pictures expected in 2016"

This... has to be a mistake right?

Yep. I'd say that's a mistake. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it claims 2016 there and we know that's false right off the bat. 

Van has also confirmed in the past that the movie is not Boom related.

...So I'd say it's a mistake.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 hour ago, Detective Hogfather said:

So what does Sega's new licensing/promotional parter have to say about the movie?

http://www.merchantwise.com/childrens-entertainment/sonicthehedgehog.html

"The first ever feature length film ‘Sonic Boom’ from Sony Pictures expected in 2016"

This... has to be a mistake right?

I guess the second season of Sonic Boom got mixed up with the movie. Just a mistake.

That's good we're all sure it's a mistake, because I'm sure some people here would actually die from shock at that news. 

The thing is, a Boom movie sounds like the better idea. Considering there's no real hint in the universe of widespread human civilization, it would be impossible to make a movie that is decidedly Boom and yet still live-action.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

The thing is, a Boom movie sounds like the better idea. Considering there's no real hint in the universe of widespread human civilization, it would be impossible to make a movie that is decidedly Boom and yet still live-action.

...They could film live action tropical/island locations and have Eggman the sole actual human, never doubt SEGA...

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Stardust said:

At this point, all I can say is...

Why, Sega?

You mean aside from:

Profits

Broadening of the audience

Spreading franchise influence

Garnering outsiders

Social media

The obvious reasons to make a movie,  right? 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, IniMeenieMiney-Jo-Vahexeon said:

You mean aside from:

Profits

Garnering outsiders

Social media

Sure, it's a capitalist society, gotta have profit to survive, but...

Can't they make a great movie based on the story of the games rather than in a spin off? A spin off that goes as far as to change the very personality of the main characters? :unsure:

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty sure that Sonic Boom movie statement is a mistake,  seeing how it contradicts the evidence we've already been told and presented by official sources. 

9 minutes ago, Stardust said:

A spin off that goes as far as to change the very personality of the main characters? :unsure:

I'm sure this is just me on this one but I don't really see THAT big of a change between the main series characters and their Boom counterparts. 

I mean sure, Boom Sonic is not AS outgoing and adventurous as regular Sonic but he still has the arrogance, show-off attitude while being a genuine nice and caring guy. I mean, I guess Knuckles and Amy had some changes but those changes never really felt like it made a HUGE change that you could't tell that they're the same character. 

But again, that's just me so my mini-Boom rant could end here.

• Thumbs Up 9

3 hours ago, IniMeenieMiney-Jo-Vahexeon said:

You mean aside from:

Profits

Garnering outsiders

Social media

Ahem:

"Live Action."

1 hour ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Ahem:

"Lice Action."

I highly doubt there are lice involved here,  XD

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, IniMeenieMiney-Jo-Vahexeon said:

I highly doubt there are lice involved here,  XD

Haha. For the record, my computer's been been ruined, so I'm having use my phone right now. 

Although, whoever decided to make this movie live action is probably on roughly the same intelligence level.

Eh,  honestly the fact that it's part animation and part live-action is alright so long as they execute it visually well enough.