Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Sooo, SEGA's got some sort of announcement tomorrow regarding Sonic. I've been wrong before, but I'm gonna take a wild guess at what that announcement will be: Sonic movie teaser to be shown with Finding Dory on Friday. 

..Okay, Probably not gonna happen, but I can dream.

There is a Sonic Announcement for European Sonic fans from Sega of Europe. It's probably going to be detailing what they get with the Launch Edition of Fire and Ice.

• 1 month later...

Well isn't this interesting, the co-producer for the movie, Dmitri Johnson just tweeted out the livestream for the party tomorrow. Guess this is hinting towards to some actual news to the movie itself at the party, maybe.

If I'm right, then I'm expecting atleast a brief first look at the movie, who's voicing the characters and how the CG/Live-action thing is going to be worked into the movie. And that'll be it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a dream yesterday that Sega announced the release date of the movie: August 10th,  2018.. Hmmm

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2016 at 6:08 PM, KHCast said:

Lack of marketing can just mean there wasn't enough money to use for that division. It's not as simple as you may think. Though with R&C, they marketed the shit out of the thing on kids channels(one of their target demographics). So I don't think marketing was a massive issue.

Not true, the Angry Birds Movie got a shit-ton of marketing across almost everything (Macy's parade balloon, the endless amount of TV ads, etc), Warcraft the same thing.

I don't really have high hopes for this movie as I don't believe that the director of this (Dimitri Johnson) has experience in any AAA / major films and that worries me that this film when released is going to get absolutely panned by critics. I may be wrong about this, but not being certain about the director's previous experience concerns me, while he could potentially be great, I'm worried that he's going to screw this film up! At least we don't have Zack Snyder, Michael Bay or some other shitty director ruining our franchise though!

2 hours ago, Sir Laptop said:

I don't really have high hopes for this movie as I don't believe that the director of this (Dimitri Johnson) has experience in any AAA / major films and that worries me that this film when released is going to get absolutely panned by critics. I may be wrong about this, but not being certain about the director's previous experience concerns me, while he could potentially be great, I'm worried that he's going to screw this film up! At least we don't have Zack Snyder, Michael Bay or some other shitty director ruining our franchise though!

You gotta have faith. If he knows Sonic very well, then there is hope that he'll direct this right.

Looking at his track record, and everything I can find on him, we simply have to keep waiting as I don't know what to make of it yet.

• 2 months later...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-director-tim-miller-developing-sonic-hedgehog-movie-sony-942661

So we got a new development on the Sonic movie.

Deadpool director Tim Miller is the executive producer for the movie and it seems like he and Patrick Casey are writing the script for it. Guess that mean Van Robichaux and Evan Sussier are no longer part of the project anymore. :/

I mean, Deadpool is a really good action comedy and I doubt Tim will go as adult as he did with that movie with the Sonic movie but I don't know....

The plan is to make a hybrid CG-animated/live-action family film.

Hmm, this quote also bothers me a bit. I mean, I really do hope that they don't go for a Smurfs/Chipmunks route still but I don't know.....

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Soni.exe said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-director-tim-miller-developing-sonic-hedgehog-movie-sony-942661

So we got a new development on the Sonic movie.

Deadpool director Tim Miller is the executive producer for the movie and it seems like he and Patrick Casey are writing the script for it. Guess that mean Van Robichaux and Evan Sussier are no longer part of the project anymore. :/

Ahem, it could just as easily be a new addition to the writing team, as opposed to jumping onto that conclusion.

Just now, Soni.exe said:

I mean, I wouldn't know. I didn't see their names in the article so I don't know....

But of course, granted it seems that this article is focused strictly on the new team installment announcements, and doesn't really mention team members already mentioned; tends to happen.

Well I sent a tweet to Van to see if to reconfirm he's still in the project, just to be sure.

New writers too? Are they helping with the current writers or something?

I'm curious now. I thought deadpool had a fantastic mix of comedy and action. I wonder what they'll do with a child friendly property like sonic the hedgehog?

I'm still worried about the live-action addition though. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Hearing about live action makes me think the movie will have a lot of really weird changes...feels worrying. Granted, Sonic's not a consistent franchise, but too many attempts to "Hollywood-ize it" by executives/directors could be embarrassing. I'm not sure what to hope for, but even if it's bad, it probably won't be boring, so that's some consolation.

3 minutes ago, CottonCandy said:

I'm curious now. I thought deadpool had a fantastic mix of comedy and action. I wonder what they'll do with a child friendly property like sonic the hedgehog?

I mean, I have a relative who was a (pretty famous) film director some 30 years ago. Knowing them and checking out their films, which ranged between horror to more child-friendly stuff, really highlighted how much of a range they had as a film director. 

Don't underestimate film directors. Good ones can do a lot more than what you may expect. 

• Thumbs Up 3

He didn't want to direct dead pool 2 because he wanted to direct a sonic movie.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

He didn't want to direct dead pool 2 because he wanted to direct a sonic movie.

It's the very definition of out of leftfield career choices.  And if that really is the truth, then interest in the Sonic movie is only going to increase even more.  To be honest, I'm still trying to get my head round this development right now.

• Thumbs Up 5

Interesting how Tim Miller has something to do with this film. I did really like the Deadpool movie, so I hope he does as well as he did there for this movie.

I still don't like the live-action/CGI approach, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just to make things clear, these are the people working on the movie announced so far:

Director: Jeff Fowler

Writers: Patrick Casey, Josh Miller

Producer (from Original Film): Neal H. Moritz

Producers (from Marza Animation Planet): Takeshi Ito, Mie Onishi

Producers (from DJ2 Entertainment): Dmitri Johnson, Dan Jevons

Executive producers: Tim Miller, Toby Ascher