Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

True it doesn't follow the video games at all. But that doesn't make it bad.

As a show? Of course not. As a Sonic show? Of course it does!

You're entitled to dislike SatAM as your opinion. But it was a great show in its own merits.

You're also entitled to like SatAM as your opinion, but people can find it pretty crap from it's own merits too.

Tails - Character development. Was said his role would increase later on if the show wasn't cancelled. Makes sense.

That doesn't matter. Tails is Sonic's sidekick. He was some kid in this. For it to take three seasons to have his games' role would've been a big waste of time.

SatAM Robotnik is an award winning villain. Much preferred to the joke Eggman we have in the video games.

Please tell me you're joking. 

I'm not even sure how you can call "generic 90s pollution and evil loving warlord" a "reward winning villain" whenever you look at a bombastic high-stakes evil scientist obsessed with himself and call it a 'joke'.

But no need to be worried. Though it would be nice to revisit the SatAM universe. The archive comics pretty much cover the events after SatAM. So it's unlikely that it would happen. Your Sonic purist vision is in safe hands with Sega.

SatAM does not need a continuation. It never needed one, since it was really just a completely different series than Sonic the Hedgehog. It had nothing to do with the games; no locales, no mythos, no story; in fact the only resemblances are three (just three!) characters, and their resemblances are paper-thin. Anything Archie ever did was just attempting to either make it even more alien (early/Penders era) or damage control the whole thing to resemble the series it's 'based' on (current era).

I know it sounds bad saying this but, I'm just being honest. If you came to the series looking for dystopian generic-forest-factory worlds with furry freedom fighters fighting a rargh-human oppressor starring Cool McCool and his much more well rounded squirrel assistant, you came to the wrong place. Calling everyone else a "purist" isn't exactly helping your argument either..

• Thumbs Up 3

Hence the /smirk

Let's be honest. You probably have buffles the echidna and a comical just for lawls plot to look forward to in the movie.

So you're spiting fans who just want a faithful adaptation of the video game series they grew up with for once? Jeez, no need to be rude just because I'm disagreeing with you. You didn't know that people didn't like SatAM, so I was just throwing in my two cents.

So you're spiting fans who just want a faithful adaptation of the video game series they grew up with for once? Jeez, no need to be rude just because I'm disagreeing with you. You didn't know that people didn't like SatAM, so I was just throwing in my two cents.

Always knew there was those vocal minorities that didn't like the show. But still doesn't mean it's bad like people try to make it out to be.

Just amuses me in a sense. Almost makes me want Sega to spite the fans because the fans do not know what they even want. Because Sega cannot please every one as one Sonic fan chucks a fit when some thing doesn't cater to their idealistic vision of what their favourite character should and should not be.

Always knew there was those vocal minorities that didn't like the show. But still doesn't mean it's bad like people try to make it out to be.

Just amuses me in a sense. Almost makes me want Sega to spite the fans because the fans do not know what they even want. Because Sega cannot please every one as one Sonic fan chucks a fit when some thing doesn't cater to their idealistic vision of what their favourite character should be and only follow that vision.

Yes, so the only alternative is to choose the one that's so off-the-mark from the rest of it, that makes sense.

All that most fans want is something from the game series. You know, like you'd expect from any piece of media based off any other franchise. It's really not that hard to imagine.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yes, so the only alternative is to choose the one that's so off-the-mark from the rest of it, that makes sense.

All that most fans want is something from the game series. You know, like you'd expect from any piece of media based off any other franchise. It's really not that hard to imagine.

Sure. Why not.

That way Sega can keep up a trend.

Just amuses me in a sense. Almost makes me want Sega to spite the fans because the fans do not know what they even want. Because Sega cannot please every one as one Sonic fan chucks a fit when some thing doesn't cater to their idealistic vision of what their favourite character should and should not be.

Again, what is "bad" and "good" is all subjective. It's all a matter of opinion, and all I was doing was expressing my own. Your attitude is uncalled for just because I dislike what you happen to like.

Yes, I'm fully aware that everyone has their own idea of what Sonic should be like, and they can't please everyone, but that's not the point. All I want is something that resembles the games' universe. It doesn't have to be 100% exactly like it, and I'd prefer it to have an original story.

Your prejudice towards people who prefer the games is unwelcome here, and it just makes you look like a jerk.

• Thumbs Up 3

Again, what is "bad" and "good" is all subjective. It's all a matter of opinion, and all I was doing was expressing my own. You're attitude is uncalled for just because I dislike what you happen to like.

Yes, I'm fully aware that everyone has their own idea of what Sonic should be like, and they can't please everyone, but that's not the point. All I want is something that resembles the games' universe. It doesn't have to be 100% exactly like it, and I'd prefer it to have an original story.

Your prejudice towards people who prefer the games is uncalled for here, and it just makes you look like a jerk.

Now who's attitude is uncalled for?

Seems like you took a joke not directed at your preferences in my first response and got your knickers in a twist.

I think you need to chillax and not get so up tight. You're acting like my preferences is threatening your purist vision. Even though nothing that either you or me have to say is going to change the outcome of the movie.

You're going to have to accept what they dish out to you or move on.

Sure. Why not.

That way Sega can keep up a trend.

About *insert generic furries here* fighting against *generic evil human here* for the freedom of *insert generic furry kingdom here* in a dystopic polluted *insert generic forest here*? Psch, no thanks. :v

Besides, there's been a trend that's been kept up with. It's called the games. Besides a few games in the middle there (take a wild guess at which ones), the series has remained fairly consistent. The little things like writing quality and character portrayals are all over the place and yes people have their own grounds on those things, but as an overarching thought, I'm pretty sure most people would want this to be based off the games. Its the series' origin, backbone, and main schtick, and its what people know the character for.

Not wanting it that way not only just to spite others but to benefit your own belief of what the series should be is not only a jerk move, but hypocritical.

• Thumbs Up 4

Now who's attitude is uncalled for?

Seems like you took a joke not directed at your preferences in my first response and got your knickers in a twist.

I think you need to chillax and not get so up tight. Because nothing that you or me has to say is going to change the outcome of the movie.

You're going to have to accept what they dish out to you or move on.

That was a joke? It's quite difficult to detect sarcasm in text, you know...

Not wanting it that way not only just to spite others but to benefit your own belief of what the series should be is not only a jerk move, but hypocritical.

Never said any thing about what this movie should or should not be. Just amused about people getting up tight about such things.

I dropped a notion that a SatAM related movie would be nice as the show had merits. But unlikely to happen.

Posts from then on were simply playing devil's advocate that easily worked you up.

Oh God, the smugness is completely insufferable and shitting up the thread. Knock it off, Azure P. The conversation was just fine until you turned it into a complete fanboy wankfest.

Very well. You may return to your circlejerk.

Edit for Santa Sloth: I know.

a Sonic movie?? For real? Last Sonic movie I saw was a live action movie and it wasn't good.

That was a fan-made movie. This will be an official film made by Sony Pictures, apparently.

As someone who absolutely loves SatAM with every fiber in my body, I shall henceforth set in stone now that it was utter garbage.  Garbage I love, but garbage nonetheless.  The animation was only good for about one episode out of the entire 26, the ending to many of the episodes were rushed and seemed to be more of a "stop" than an "ending," Robotnik himself is the epitome of a trying too hard villain, and the "subtlety" of the environmental message that the Nostalgia Critic raves about?  I don't see it.  It seemed very forced, albeit not nearly to the extent of Ferngully or Once Upon a Rain Forest.  And don't even get me started on how the latter half of the series abruptly changes tone completely without any plot or significance to warrant the change.

I like SatAM, but that doesn't mean I want to see a theatrical release for it, nor do I blame people who don't like it because it deviates from, you know, everything they love about the series.  You're welcome to disagree with it, but treating others patronizingly for it is only contributing to the "circle jerk" that you're pretending exists.

• Thumbs Up 6

a Sonic movie?? For real? Last Sonic movie I saw was a live action movie and it wasn't good.

Are you referring to the Blue Core Studios production?

Yeah, that one's not too good.

Very well. You may return to your circlejerk.

You are actually not the first person to mention SatAM and Archie elements in this thread. You are, however, the first person in this thread to show their ass about the apparent inferiority of the Sega canon and treat its fans like shit, and that doesn't fly on this forum regardless of what side of the fence you stake your post on. You are perfectly free to discuss SatAm in this thread to your heart's content; just don't be a smug fanboy about it.

• Thumbs Up 7

SatAM was Sonic in name only.

SatAM was Sally's show, not Sonic's.

SatAM was a firm case of being a display of DiC's talent when it came to writing shows and was in no way, shape or form a true achievement for the Sonic franchise itself because of the sheer shameless deviation that it was. It did not exemplify the vision that Sonic's original creators had either.

SatAM has been dead for a good 20 years now.

SatAM's voice actors and writers have moved on or died.

The last vestiges of SatAM were buried by Archie when it shook-up it's continuity and considering the characters that originated from it are vastly different, cannot even be strictly classed as being anything more than characters who barely pay lip service to their original inspirations.

Hence the demands for a movie about an irrelevant cartoon show that died a long time ago and which has nothing to do with that which always has been and always will be the main focus of the franchise is nothing more than a hopeless pipe dream.

• Thumbs Up 7

Right, moving away from the SatAM talk, what kind of movie do you want from this?

I mean, I know it's likely to be the usual fare for kids animated films, like bad guy does bad thing, good guy stops him, jokes in between. But what if you had the choice? Personally, I'd love a split perspective deal, following both Sonic and Eggman, showing the conflict between them, a bit like Unleashed.

Plus, more Eggman is always a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

Given SEGA's love of consistency, I'm almost certain it will be based on the games or the new cartoon. I doubt it will be its own continuity, as I don't think SEGA wants a repeat of the early 90s where we had SatAM, AoStH, Archie, Sonic the Comic, and the games running concurrently as that leads to all sorts of confusion (and the broken fanbase issue is exacerbated further).

All I ask of this movie is that it chooses its universe well and avoids being too blatantly dumb. I'm not much of a critic, but I CAN sometimes lose it over details, such as a new character who kicks other characters out of the spotlight to a point they feel like an official fancharacter.

Oh, if we're composing a wishlist... I hope a theme song is composed for the movie. If we can't get it for the games can we at least get it for this?

Good or bad, i'm probably going to watch it because it's Sonic.

More or less how I am. I know the "people who buy whatever just because it has 'Sonic' in the title" crowd gets a lot of flak by critics but... what can I say? Sonic's like a religion to me. You have a Sonic convention halfway across the country? I will go. You have a childish cartoon that looks to radically change the characters? I will watch. The games shift genre enormously? I will play. This movie will just be another fine piece in the grand tapestry of the Hedgegod.

In terms of graphical of graphical ingenuity and cinematography, I would definitely love something along the lines of Unleashed.  Though I'd like a more surreal atmosphere such as that seen in Colors and Lost World.  Though I'm sure if they went with Unleashed in terms of atmosphere, it would probably be better received.  I guess I wouldn't mind it anyway ^^;  - I like Unleashed's atmosphere as well, so it's not too bad of a compromise.

Having multiple perspectives that overlap much like Sonic Adventure would be pretty great as well.  I did always love that method of story-telling and never understood why Sega decided to never touch upon it again.

I just hope to god that any Sonic film would keep it's dignity and not plumb the depths of stuff like toilet humor if it did include some comedy.

And I hope it portrays Sonic, heck all of the characters true to their personalities at least |:<

• Thumbs Up 4