Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Seeing as it’s also coming out just over two years after Sonic Forces, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a game to coincide with the movie.

It better be good, and I’m not just talking about the movie.  

• Thumbs Up 2

I just looked up IMDB and as it turns out, the only film coming out in Sonic’s release week is a film called Margie Claus. So it doesn’t seem to have any real competition on that week. 

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Seeing as it’s also coming out just over two years after Sonic Forces, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a game to coincide with the movie.

It better be good, and I’m not just talking about the movie.  

Yeah, its pretty neatly fallen into the regular/expected release window of the next major game in the franchise. Right before Christmas and what-not.

Even if it isn't a movie tie in, I'd be shocked if Sega wasn't looking to roll out a small handful of products to put on the shelves just before and just after the release of the movie. A game, a comic a few toys. Just to get his mug on places where people could throw money at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really worried for this movie. If it flops, Sonic's reputation might get damaged to a point he won't be able to bounce back from.

Nah. Sonic's worst games are bad enough that this movie is probably guaranteed to be more enjoyable even if it sucks. Plus there's no excuse to treat Sonic worse if that happens, because terrible video game movies happen all the time,  anyone who calls out Sonic as a frachise in particular for it would just be a hypocrite.

• Thumbs Up 7

I mean, we don't entirely know what the movie's like yet. They might not be focusing on humans.

If they keep the live-action stuff to background scenery or something, I think we're good. Heck, they might have thrown out the live-action bit entirely. But I'm an optimist and not a guy working on the movie, so I could be wrong.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Why the hell isn't it just animated?

Budget I assume. Animation is still more expensive than live-action even for all the progress. And the movie makers just might not be comfortable at doing a movie for a polarizing (at best) brand.

So, the Sonic movie finally officially got a release date. Well, that's good. It's nice that the movie is still moving forward. I'm still worrying about the Live Action/CGI Part, but maybe it will look like these hopefully.:

So, the movie will come out on Nov. 15, 2019. Damn, That's a long wait, anyway but this is good because this should give the production team more time to put more effort on the film. Now, with the release date out of the way,  maybe we will see some of the cast for the movie and a logo at the SXSW? 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

I'm really worried for this movie. If it flops, Sonic's reputation might get damaged to a point he won't be able to bounce back from.

Video game movies are never good (arguably, but that's most common opinion). Most recent Ratchet and Clank was total flop. So if it fails, everyone will take it as Adam Sander movie being bad.

I prefer to be optimist. If there is even 10% chance that this movie will be actually good, Sonic might have something to be proud over other game franchises.

Plus, movies can have huge power on a shape of the franchise (look Marvel). With a looooot of luck, they might even fix Sonic (at least story wise).

I know, it's a way too optimistic scenario. But considering possible gains/losses, I'll take it. Just please don't make it smurfs/chipmunks movie

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

17 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Video game movies are never good (arguably, but that's most common opinion). Most recent Ratchet and Clank was total flop. So if it fails, everyone will take it as Adam Sander movie being bad.

I prefer to be optimist. If there is even 10% chance that this movie will be actually good, Sonic might have something to be proud over other game franchises.

Plus, movies can have huge power on a shape of the franchise (look Marvel). With a looooot of luck, they might even fix Sonic (at least story wise).

I know, it's a way too optimistic scenario. But considering possible gains/losses, I'll take it. Just please don't make it smurfs/chipmunks movie

Live action/cgi scares me.

6 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I don't know, there's a sizable hatedom these days that will probably use the movie as "evidence" that Sonic is a bad series. We probably won't hear the end of it for years, if ever.

Except we have every bad video game movie ever to fall back on, to tell any asshole who pulls that shit of their own hypocrisy.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Splash the Otter said:

I don't know, there's a sizable hatedom these days that will probably use the movie as "evidence" that Sonic is a bad series. We probably won't hear the end of it for years, if ever.

Who cares?

1 hour ago, BlueFlare said:

Good thing that crappy gameplay and physics shouldn't affect the Sonic Movie at least, but who knows.

You say that, but now I'm picturing Sonic boosting from a standstill and stopping on a dime, thanks to a Sonic Team demand for game consistency.  That, and movies aren't exactly known for their realistic physics...

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Why the hell isn't it just animated?

Because it would flop hard and immediately? Let's face it, no one aside from fans cares about Sonic, kids would probably see it, but I'm still not convinced. The main appeal of this movie for the general audience and adults is clearly the "human side", big name Hollywood actors, real life problems, comedy, maybe action if we want to be optimistic, military and wars, women, etc. That's unpopular, and harsh, but it's the sad truth. And the reason why this movie might actually be successful.

Anyway, it seems like Paramount really is getting this movie together compared to what Sony did... nothing.

Well, I'm glad at least because most people thought and hoped this would never see the light of the day, thankfully they were wrong because I'm really curious about how it will turn out.

This movie won't kill Sonic. Those in doubt of that go and watch the The Super Mario Bros movie from '93. That film got absolutley panned critical and commercially. Mario is still here alive and very well.

I'm very much looking forward to this film just to see what they do. Its gonna be fun , bring on November 2019.

My only concern is will they use the current cast? Surly Mike and Roger are a certainty yes? 

23 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

This movie won't kill Sonic. Those in doubt of that go and watch the The Super Mario Bros movie from '93. That film got absolutley panned critical and commercially. Mario is still here alive and very well.

I don't believe Sonic is currently making as much money as Mario is.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I don't believe Sonic is currently making as much money as Mario is.

That wasn't my point besides SEGA isn't making the movie , Paramount is. Which means Paramount have bought the rights to make the movie. No doubt that SEGA will be making sure their IP isn't misused but any initial financial fall will be on paramount.

3 hours ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Because it would flop hard and immediately?

The angry birds movie made over $349 million in the box office and is currently the second highest grossing video game movie only behind Tomb Raider. And that's a franchise that pretty much dropped in popularity over the last few years I think Sonic would be fine. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1