Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

16 hours ago, a knothole resident said:

Perfect.  The teaser trailer will be out by E3 or Comic Con.

That seems unlikely since the movie currently has no announced cast. 

4 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

That seems unlikely since the movie currently has no announced cast. 

"Teaser". All it has to be is a ring falling down and a logo that says "Sonic the Hedgehog 2019" to confirm that it's happening publicly.

Well, I’m glad this movie is finally happening. However, I’m kinda worried what would Sonic and his friends would look like in the live action scenes. I’m ok if they look like these.:

80FB526F-778B-41B5-A2ED-985C417CD34C.thumb.jpeg.e41b43d40af325fa22a321a8c7f3a0d9.jpeg

Since Marza is working on this, I don’t think we have to worried about them getting realistic designs.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 27.4.2018 at 5:29 AM, a knothole resident said:

Perfect.  The teaser trailer will be out by E3 or Comic Con.

Not sure about teaser trailer (I think we could get one with the Bumblebee movie), but we may get a teaser poster at sdcc.

The guy who made the picture with Sonic and Amy in it made a comparison of the slide presentation of the movie logo and their own.

F512BBD8-9FED-4712-AD97-81C5CC540649.thumb.jpeg.384ab96148c244c2934229c183e896ed.jpeg

I think the Sonic characters in the live action scenes would probably similar to ones in the Spongebob Movie. So, I compare them.:

799F4C46-A742-4B42-80AA-CB72B1E55118.thumb.jpeg.e2f345347ea5a0afcae0b0e562a6870d.jpeg4F4778C1-EBD3-4605-8F04-488A94A8404F.thumb.jpeg.439928867f737430f2db0ba9a48fc890.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Live action... mixing with real life places and real life actors...

It is guaranteed that this movie will be cringe-worthy.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Korke said:

Live action... mixing with real life places and real life actors...

It is guaranteed that this movie will be cringe-worthy.

Well, we don’t know anything about the movie yet. If the movie is going have a lot of action like scenes of Sonic running, passing through, overtaking cars, and destroying stuff, I’m ok with that. I don’t really expect the movie to be a Oscar Worthy Movie, but I expect to be a dumb fun action packing movie with unrealistic physics like the Fast and Furious movies. In fact, the Fast and Furious producer is producing this. 

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Well, we don’t know anything about the movie yet. If the movie is going have a lot of action like scenes of Sonic running, passing through, overtaking cars, and destroying stuff, I’m ok with that. I don’t really expect the movie to be a Oscar Worthy Movie, but I expect to be a dumb fun action packing movie with unrealistic physics like the Fast and Furious movies. In fact, the Fast and Furious producer is producing this. 

That info that I just said was confirmed like a year ago... I hope they change that, it will be uncanny.

26 minutes ago, Korke said:

That info that I just said was confirmed like a year ago... I hope they change that, it will be uncanny.

Yea, I know, I wish the movie was animated. I don’t know why they decided to make Sonic’s first feature film, a Live-Action/CGI movie. Maybe they want to make it more exciting and action packing for kids to watch? I think, it’s probably too late to change the film into a animated film, unfortunately. They are getting ready to start filming this summer. The director is getting ready assembling his film crew.  According to Van, he say that they are deep into the character tests, which I’m assuming the character models being tested out. He also say that Tim Miller make it more action focused which mean that the movie will contain a lot of action.

• Thumbs Up 1

The live-action/CG decision just says to me that somebody at Sonic Team is really into the whole two worlds idea, and thinks that Sonic should be all about him and his furry pals hanging around with a bunch of humans in what looks like the real world.  Adventure, Adventure 2, Shadow, '06, Unleashed, and of course Sonic X - they all follow this model, and a couple of them really feel to me like the overseers only made a video game because they weren't in a position to make a movie.  It's not clear that Sonic Team particularly care about Sonic's world at all.

• Thumbs Up 4

17 hours ago, FFWF said:

The live-action/CG decision just says to me that somebody at Sonic Team is really into the whole two worlds idea, and thinks that Sonic should be all about him and his furry pals hanging around with a bunch of humans in what looks like the real world.  Adventure, Adventure 2, Shadow, '06, Unleashed, and of course Sonic X - they all follow this model, and a couple of them really feel to me like the overseers only made a video game because they weren't in a position to make a movie.  It's not clear that Sonic Team particularly care about Sonic's world at all.

Which I find utterly baffling since the single most iconic thing about the franchise aside from any of its characters is the lush checkerboarded loop de loops of Green Hill Zone and its various counterparts.

The desire to shoehorn Sonic into the "real world" alongside humans is one of the weirdest design impulses I've ever seen. Why does Sonic Team want to trade its visually unique world for another video game New York City or San Francisco knock off?

I hate that we're getting Sonic X: The Movie instead of a faithfully animated adventure in Sonic's world. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Sadly, I wouldn’t been surprised if the movie would get a human protagonist, like a college student. 

Anyway,  a bit unrelated, the news of the movie filming in Vancouver remind me of this.:

MSWG_UScover.jpg

19 hours ago, FFWF said:

Is it fair to include Unleashed in that though?

While the wold "World Adventure" theme did pull from natural wonders and real world locals, I thought Sonic Team bent over backwards in designing places that captured the charm of all these exotic locals, while creating what was a suitable compromise between real and sonic-y. Even the human ensemble received cartoonish redesigns.

It didn't feel like the usual push to include Sonic in the human world.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Which I find utterly baffling since the single most iconic thing about the franchise aside from any of its characters is the lush checkerboarded loop de loops of Green Hill Zone and its various counterparts.

The desire to shoehorn Sonic into the "real world" alongside humans is one of the weirdest design impulses I've ever seen. Why does Sonic Team want to trade its visually unique world for another video game New York City or San Francisco knock off?

I hate that we're getting Sonic X: The Movie instead of a faithfully animated adventure in Sonic's world. 

Considering fans complain about them being overused in the games, their absence in the movie might be meant to make up for it.

Setting it in the real world can make sense for a multitude of reasons. Last we heard, this is a big budget, blockbuster adaption of Sonic with a franchise being a main interest. An animated movie targeted towards 9 year olds does not accomplish that same affect. A Sonic X-type film lends itself so much better to an action packed blockbuster adaptation of the series. Paramount picked up the rights because they need a new franchise after the bombing of Transformers. Sonic can be a viable replacement 

10 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Is it fair to include Unleashed in that though?

While the wold "World Adventure" theme did pull from natural wonders and real world locals, I thought Sonic Team bent over backwards in designing places that captured the charm of all these exotic locals, while creating what was a suitable compromise between real and sonic-y. Even the human ensemble received cartoonish redesigns.

It didn't feel like the usual push to include Sonic in the human world.

This is a fair objection, but you have to consider that the essentials stand.  It's still the world of humans and human civilisation, with Sonic, Tails, Amy and I suppose Chip as the only anthros you ever see.  It's not the product of developers with any interest in Sonic's world or animal people.

• Thumbs Up 1

We don't know anything about the movie yet. I have a feeling it could have some scenes similar like these.:

4 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

We don't know anything about the movie yet. I have a feeling it could have some scenes similar like these.:

Exactly 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Setting it in the real world can make sense for a multitude of reasons. Last we heard, this is a big budget, blockbuster adaption of Sonic with a franchise being a main interest. An animated movie targeted towards 9 year olds does not accomplish that same affect. A Sonic X-type film lends itself so much better to an action packed blockbuster adaptation of the series. Paramount picked up the rights because they need a new franchise after the bombing of Transformers. Sonic can be a viable replacement 

Sonic as a replacement for the Transformers movies. Oh boy oh boy...

I'd rather take the animated movie aimed towards 9-year-olds. Trying to make Sonic into a typical Hollywood action blockbuster sounds cringey to me. I doubt it would work, especially with Sonic and his reputation being what it is these days.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 2

The problem is I think there's a real chance that a shitty live action blockbuster with a 24% on rottentomatoes will be more profitable than a faithfully animated movie that scores a fresh rating. Short term gain.

The problem is that Sonic as a brand is already tremendously damaged. A profitable but badly received film could further alienate some of the audience while failing to cultivate a new one that sticks around for more than one game.

• Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

The problem is I think there's a real chance that a shitty live action blockbuster with a 24% on rottentomatoes will be more profitable than a faithfully animated movie that scores a fresh rating. Short term gain.

The problem is that Sonic as a brand is already tremendously damaged. A profitable but badly received film could further alienate some of the audience while failing to cultivate a new one that sticks around for more than one game.

Much like what happened to Yogi Bear? After the 2010 film, the already moribund franchise has died so much that he doesn’t even have a full series from DC. 

Live Action/CGI Movies have been always bad, and I still wonder why Hollywood still think it is a good idea making cartoon characters realistic and creepy. The recent was Woody Woodpecker. Yea, I know that movie is only released in Brazil first because Brazil love Woody Woodpecker. Then, next, it's went to straight to DVD for the U.S. after a couple of months it was released in Brazil. The movie was filmed in Canada, and ugh, it's looked so awful and cheap. Just take a look at this, it's hilariously awful.:

20 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Sonic as a replacement for the Transformers movies. Oh boy oh boy...

I'd rather take the animated movie aimed towards 9-year-olds. Trying to make Sonic into a typical Hollywood action blockbuster sounds cringey to me. I doubt it would work, especially with Sonic and his reputation being what it is these days.

The general audience that will make up 90%. Of the Box-office gross will have no knowledge of Sonic's "reputation" from past games like Boom, Forces or 06. Most people are going to be like "Oh wow, I played that game as a kid!" Exactly like the first Transformers movie, the Bayturtles, Smurfs movie etc. 

And it's only cringey if you're going by the currrent games aimed strictly at 8 year olds (aka Forces, Colors, Generations etc) if you go back to the Sonic Adventure series, those games lend themselves EXTREMELY well to a blockbuster action films. Then there's Sonic Unleashed, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic X, SATAM, the Archie Comics all of which lend themselves well to live action, blockbuster material. Sonic is no different from the Ninja Turtles or the Transformers. If you look at the massive franchise potential of the series and Paramount's current situation- you'll see a clearer picture of why going the PG-13 action film route makes wayyy more sense than creating an animated film aimed squarely at children. Sonic can be a Sci-Fi franchise just like Marvel Films. The Mythology of Sonic being from Mobius/Dimension X and coming to Earth is so plainly layed out for the writers, it's insane. This can be really awesome if done right.

I think you are all looking at this from too negative of a standpoint. If this movie is a success, it could breath new life into the franchise and make Sonic a global icon. Do you remember what happened when Transformers was a box-office smash? It rejuvenated the franchise, everybody had Transformers mania. New shows were being greenlit, animated movies were being made, new toylines, merch galore. If this movie does well - the same thing will happen with Sonic. Sequels galore will be a for sure thing 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I could see the plot of the movie take some inspiration from various Sonic games. It could be a mix of plots of games like Sonic Adventure. 

My bets are that Sonic and his friends could look like this.:

sonic.jpg

or this:

494510049_640.jpg

Since, Paramount is distributing the movie, they also did the Spongebob movie that come out two years ago. Maybe the animation will be similar to that. Marza and Blur Studio are involved.:

the-spongebob-movie-sponge-out-of-water-

5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

. Sonic can be a Sci-Fi franchise just like Marvel Films. The Mythology of Sonic being from Mobius/Dimension X and coming to Earth is so plainly layed out for the writers, it's insane. This can be really awesome if done right.

Speaking of the MCU, I could see GUN as Sonic's version of SHIELD in the movie. They are both government organizations.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The general audience that will make up 90%. Of the Box-office gross will have no knowledge of Sonic's "reputation" from past games like Boom, Forces or 06. Most people are going to be like "Oh wow, I played that game as a kid!" Exactly like the first Transformers movie, the Bayturtles, Smurfs movie etc. 

And it's only cringey if you're going by the currrent games aimed strictly at 8 year olds (aka Forces, Colors, Generations etc) if you go back to the Sonic Adventure series, those games lend themselves EXTREMELY well to a blockbuster action films. Then there's Sonic Unleashed, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic X, SATAM, the Archie Comics all of which lend themselves well to live action, blockbuster material. Sonic is no different from the Ninja Turtles or the Transformers. If you look at the massive franchise potential of the series and Paramount's current situation- you'll see a clearer picture of why going the PG-13 action film route makes wayyy more sense than creating an animated film aimed squarely at children. Sonic can be a Sci-Fi franchise just like Marvel Films. The Mythology of Sonic being from Mobius/Dimension X and coming to Earth is so plainly layed out for the writers, it's insane. This can be really awesome if done right.

I think you are all looking at this from too negative of a standpoint. If this movie is a success, it could breath new life into the franchise and make Sonic a global icon. Do you remember what happened when Transformers was a box-office smash? It rejuvenated the franchise, everybody had Transformers mania. New shows were being greenlit, animated movies were being made, new toylines, merch galore. If this movie does well - the same thing will happen with Sonic. Sequels galore will be a for sure thing 

finally someone with some optimism, i always believed the sonic franchise was more suited to movies and shows than gamesanyways with its many characters and potential stories. if this movie does well it really can revive sonic's reputation and popularity in the public eye. this could also bode well for the games as they will try to make them more cinematic to fit with the movie, we might even get a new tv show there are endless possibilities ( pun intended). the most important thing is they manage to market this movie really well for the general public.