Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

A CGI cartoon movie doesn't get nearly the amount of appeal of a live action movie with real actors, I agree with Peter, IF it turns out to be successful (and right now it's in the right hands) it could make Sonic more popular and recognizable, it'd be a smart strategy if they hit the target.

Or they could have gone with a small CGI TV movie for kids and to appeal to fans. Wouldn't mind that either.

8 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Yeah... no. It was the wrong choice.  Sonic just doesn't work as a alive action compared to some other things, this is just another mistake in a long line of mistakes by SEGA. 

How do you know that? How can you say Sonic can't work as well as other succesful properties when the precedent has never been set? There is nothing separating Sonic from franchises like the MCU, G'i Joe, TMNT or the Transformers. 

8 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Sonic has always been a series aimed at mainly kids regardless if we old fans like that or not, and 1 or 2 try hard movies won't change that. 

Yes it will, history has proved it time and time again with other adaptions. (Marvel Universe, Transformers, DC Universe) The movie can break new ground and bring in NEW fans who are older.

The Sonic franchise gone through a variety of different tones and atmosphere. Only the last few games have pandered to children with terrible jokes, slapstick humor and stories that carry no weight at all- while the Adventure series carried itself with much more weight, Sonic O6 (although not the best example but still) Sonic Unleashed too as well as the Archie comics, SATAM and Sonic X. There is nothing in the textbook "Sonic guide" that says the franchise has to pander to kids instead of being Kid-friendly but otherwise telling stories that appeal to a wide variety of audience. 

9 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

This movie like most game movies will highly likely flop just like all the others. 

It COULD flop, yes but one thing Sonic has going for it over other video game movies Is the sheer icon status of the IP & wide appeal to all ages. Assassins Creed, Hitman etc didn't have that and are nowhere near as iconic as Sonic.  And the landscape on VGMs are changing. Tomb Raider was not a smash hit but it wasn't a failure, it did better critically and financially better than most video game movies. And Rampage was a definitive success.

9 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I do find it funny however not only are you trying to demean all animated movies by saying they are only for little kids, but also that they can't be just as popular as big name live action movies... which is just wrong in so many ways.

On a side note. At least Nintendo has wised up and are making their next Mario Movie a CGI cartoon movie only.

They are, though. Why do you think they're almost always rated PG? They are aimed at primarily the 7-11 year old demographic. That doesn't mean they can't tell compelling stories but the "aimed at kids" thing is not up for debate.

It's 100% true. Most PG-13 blockbuster smash hits will always be bigger than animated movies aimed squarely at kids. The scope and atmosphere surrounding the project will ALWAYS be bigger. Unless you're Disney or Despicable Me.

Mario can ONLY work as an animated movie, it's just the truth based on the nature of the property. Unlike Mario, Sonic has tons of media that lend itself well to live action movie with a REAL story and stakes. Sonic games has always been much more action focused, story focused and even much more serious themes compared to Mario games. You could never make Mario the same way unless you did some dark, gritty reinvention and turned Mario into something it's not. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

17 hours ago, A sonic fan said:

sonic cinematic universe could actually work with the huge diverse set of characters we have. some ideas i have are 

a comedy mystery Team chaotix movie

A Silver movie about him trying to save the future, mainly action oriented with some comedy.

A shadow movie thats pretty dark and action packed 

loads of characters in this series could have movies based around them.

yeah, like TANGLE THE LEMUR!

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

You could never make Mario the same way unless you did some dark, gritty reinvention and turned Mario into something it's not. 

Spoken without a trace of irony.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would totally buy gritty dark Mario movie. Humanity hides in a sewers from terrifying dragon king. Mario used mushroom based drugs (ala Bane) and flamethrowers that uses flowers as fuel. He rides actual dinsosaur to battle and Wario is genetically engineered clone gone wrong. If it's self-aware it would be amazing.

• Chuckle 3

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I would totally buy gritty dark Mario movie. Humanity hides in a sewers from terrifying dragon king. Mario used mushroom based drugs (ala Bane) and flamethrowers that uses flowers as fuel. He rides actual dinsosaur to battle and Wario is genetically engineered clone gone wrong. If it's self-aware it would be amazing.

something something super mario bros movie

Grimdark tryhard live action Sonic does not appeal to me at all. Nor would it appeal to many other fans, as judging by their reactions to a great many Sonic properties. Sonic, at it's very core, is a surreal and whimsical cartoon video game series. Turning it into a gritty and realistic series is turning it into something it's not.

Sonic Adventure 2, while having it's bouts of realism, still remains surreal and whimsical at it's core. Canyons with large rock structures in the shape of jack-o-lanterns exist in the same world as a San Francisco lookalike, as does pyramids owned by Eggman and big space stations inside an asteroid. Even Sonic Unleashed, a game heavily taking from our world, still keeps this surrealism and whim.

But for all-out realism? Eeehhh... Sonic by Bluecore Studios is a good example of why you shouldn't do that. It's boring, there's nothing interesting to see, and Sonic doesn't fit in to this world around him.

• Thumbs Up 6

54 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

something something super mario bros movie

Grimdark tryhard live action Sonic does not appeal to me at all. Nor would it appeal to many other fans, as judging by their reactions to a great many Sonic properties. Sonic, at it's very core, is a surreal and whimsical cartoon video game series. Turning it into a gritty and realistic series is turning it into something it's not.

Sonic Adventure 2, while having it's bouts of realism, still remains surreal and whimsical at it's core. Canyons with large rock structures in the shape of jack-o-lanterns exist in the same world as a San Francisco lookalike, as does pyramids owned by Eggman and big space stations inside an asteroid. Even Sonic Unleashed, a game heavily taking from our world, still keeps this surrealism and whim.

But for all-out realism? Eeehhh... Sonic by Bluecore Studios is a good example of why you shouldn't do that. It's boring, there's nothing interesting to see, and Sonic doesn't fit in to this world around him.

Lol who said anything about a grimdark Sonic movie? Although I think Sonic would have a much easier time segwaying into that tone (just adapt SATAM), That is most definitely not what we'll be getting in this movie. I remember the rumors from back in 2014 that Sony wanted a Dark Knight-esque Sonic franchise and I couldn't help but scratch my head. I expect this movie to have a lighter tone than Dark Knight with edgy humor while still having real stakes. The original writer said he wrote Sonic's personality to be like Pete Mitchell's from Top Gun so it definitely sounds like Sonic himself will be pre-Roger Craig Smith (thank god) lovable smart ass. I could see Dr. Eggman being played more straightforward and being legitimately threatening. (Bryan Cranston or John Goodman are my choices) I think it would be really cool if they brought back the "Dr. Ivo Robotnik" name from the comics and have Sonic mockingly call him Dr. Eggman

The movie should have the tone of an MCU film with the action of Transformers. 

On 5/14/2018 at 12:30 PM, Jack the Maniac said:

I already expressed my thoughts in previous posts... but I think the movie is in good hands, the only thing that bugs me is the location, Vancouver is where they shoot tv shows, not movies, it's the cheapest possible location, they probably didn't want to spend money on that but they hired Deadpool and Fast and Furious people, we'll have to see how CGI turns out, but if Marza is working on it, it must be good.

Yes, it's true that Vancouver is a very popular place for filming TV shows like Lucifer, Psych, The X-Files, Supernatural, The Flash, Supergirl, Arrow and Fringe, but, movies like Godzilla, Power Rangers, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, X-Men: The Last Stand, Fantastic Four, Tron: Legacy, and the Final Destination movies were filmed there. Upcoming movies like The Predator and Skyscraper starring The Rock were also filmed there. Heck, even Deadpool and its sequel were filmed there. The fourth Mission Impossible have some scenes filmed in Vancouver, and I have no doubt that the animation in the film will be good.

Here is a picture of Sonic racing with two blue cars. Enjoy!:

racing_in_station_square_by_kitsuoi-dbwd

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for double posting. Since, the movie will be produced by Neal H. Moritz (The Fast and the Furious) who produced mostly action films and that the movie will be action focused, I decided to draw this to imagine what will be the action will be like in the movie. Hope all of you like it. Enjoy!

gun_truck_chase_by_kitsuoi-dcckd6h.jpg

Good choice if real. Any info on the character description? I'm more interested in that.

Tom, a cop who befriends Sonic and helps him defeat Robotnik. Starting to sound a lot like Sonic X which isn't a bad thing imo 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Just now, PeterPancake said:

Tom, a cop who befriends Sonic and helps him defeat Robotnik. Starting to sound a lot like Sonic X which isn't a bad thing imo 

We aren't getting a brat kid in this but the realistic human vibe is there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I the only one getting Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle vibes? Like if you reasonably have a human character listed as your "lead" for a Sonic movie of all things, it begins to scream like said character is going to be the highlighted character of your film as opposed to, y'know, the actual characters you came to see.

And normally I might not be so worried, but considering this is Paramount, who also hijacked a TMNT movie to focus on Megan Fox April O'Neil's contrived history and shoehorn in Verne who's practically in-name only to be a sleezy comic relief, like this doesn't sound good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Tom actually sounds pretty cool!

Woof. I don't like where that description is going.

I'm still gonna keep an eye on this movie, but my nervousness about how it'll turn out just kicked into overdrive.

While I'm glad that it's not a kid character, the fact that the "lead role" is a cop is already ringing a lot of bells saying "This will not be a good movie, stop!"

I'll still wait for some actual info and maybe a trailer or two, but any small hope I had for this movie was pretty much thrown out the window for me.

He's "a" lead role. Not the main character. That means he's one of the main players in this movie but that doesn't mean he will be the main character over Sonic.

A character like this is very necessary for the general audience. They need a point of view character, someone whom they can see the movie through. Sonic needing this guys help makes sense as he'l need a human ally to get the police force on his side 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

This is sounding to me like this movie is going to be people in street clothes on a soundstage pretending to talk to Sonic. 

Well, there goes...any blind hope I had whatsoever, really.

Why would you do this?

19 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

He's "a" lead role. Not the main character. That means he's one of the main players in this movie but that doesn't mean he will be the main character over Sonic.

A character like this is very necessary for the general audience. They need a point of view character, someone whom they can see the movie through. Sonic needing this guys help makes sense as he'l need a human ally to get the police force on his side 

I mean I guess you're right. That still doesn't change the fact that humans will play the big role in this movie, and that never worked in a live-action/CG hybrid movie.

Then again, that boils down to the fact that it's a live-action/CG hybrid movie based on a video game to begin with, and those kinds of movies rarely were good, so...

Also since when would Sonic need a human ally to find Eggman, if he has more than enough, y'know, friends?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Is that why Superman has a normal cop guy following him everywhere so we have a constant "point of view"? 

No, he doesn't have that.

• Thumbs Up 3

... I know that this is a rumor but this sounds absolutely awful. The worst possible idea they could have.

It gives me Hop/Smurfs/Alvin/Peter Rabbit vibes which was my worst fear. Looks like it is about to be realized. I would take bad is good videogame movie like the Mario Movie or Street Fighter over this kind of movie which is always "man adopts obnoxious CG characters."

Let me guess, a human side character that gets more scene time than main characters, also while having some family/relationship issues that nobody cares about. Sound like a typical live action movie to me. Or sonic X..

But, hey, Paul Rudd is a pretty decent actor. So there's that..

• Thumbs Up 1