Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

He's "a" lead role. Not the main character. That means he's one of the main players in this movie but that doesn't mean he will be the main character over Sonic.

 

A character like this is very necessary for the general audience. They need a point of view character, someone whom they can see the movie through. Sonic needing this guys help makes sense as he'l need a human ally to get the police force on his side 

I mean I guess you're right. That still doesn't change the fact that humans will play the big role in this movie, and that never worked in a live-action/CG hybrid movie.

Then again, that boils down to the fact that it's a live-action/CG hybrid movie based on a video game to begin with, and those kinds of movies rarely were good, so...

Also since when would Sonic need a human ally to find Eggman, if he has more than enough, y'know, friends?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

He's "a" lead role. Not the main character. That means he's one of the main players in this movie but that doesn't mean he will be the main character over Sonic.

 

A character like this is very necessary for the general audience. They need a point of view character, someone whom they can see the movie through. Sonic needing this guys help makes sense as he'l need a human ally to get the police force on his side 

Is that why Superman has a normal cop guy following him everywhere so we have a constant "point of view"? 

No, he doesn't have that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... I know that this is a rumor but this sounds absolutely awful. The worst possible idea they could have.

It gives me Hop/Smurfs/Alvin/Peter Rabbit vibes which was my worst fear. Looks like it is about to be realized. I would take bad is good videogame movie like the Mario Movie or Street Fighter over this kind of movie which is always "man adopts obnoxious CG characters."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me guess, a human side character that gets more scene time than main characters, also while having some family/relationship issues that nobody cares about. Sound like a typical live action movie to me. Or sonic X..

But, hey, Paul Rudd is a pretty decent actor. So there's that..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if this is true then at least we got some plot details. Albeit not very much, but the budget of $90 is a bigger budget than that of Ratchet & Clank, Angry Birds and Spongebob movie Sponge out of Water. Now if the budget is to be believed, that's actually lower than I thought it would be. Of course I thought it'd be bigger than what it would've been for the games, but not nessecarily under $100 million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Well if this is true then at least we got some plot details. Albeit not very much, but the budget of $90 is a bigger budget than that of Ratchet & Clank, Angry Birds and Spongebob movie Sponge out of Water. Now if the budget is to be believed, that's actually lower than I thought it would be. Of course I thought it'd be bigger than what it would've been for the games, but not nessecarily under $100 million.

Where did you get it’s $90 million?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

... I know that this is a rumor but this sounds absolutely awful. The worst possible idea they could have.

Rumor? Pretty sure this is actual news unless I am not understanding something correctly.

Ah yes... The Sonic Movie is slowly but surely shaping up to be the trash movie most of us saw coming. I bet it won't be to long before they reveal the location of the movie's story will be in New York City... And somehow that Sonic will help the cop who is down on his luck get his life back together and get a girlfriend by the end of the story... HAaaa... *vomits*

5 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Still don't understand why they can't just make it full fledged animated movie.

Because this is Sonic... which by this point is basically a cursed series that more often then not makes the wrong choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

I mean I guess you're right. That still doesn't change the fact that humans will play the big role in this movie, and that never worked in a live-action/CG hybrid movie.

Then again, that boils down to the fact that it's a live-action/CG hybrid movie based on a video game to begin with, and those kinds of movies rarely were good, so...

Also since when would Sonic need a human ally to find Eggman, if he has more than enough, y'know, friends?

It worked in Transformers and TMNT. And yeah, this is because of the direction they'e chosen to go. Maybe Sonic is an alien from Mobius and he doesn't know how our world works? Tom can not only help him figure it out but also have the PD help him and his friends stop Eggman. I could think of many different reasons why 

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Is that why Superman has a normal cop guy following him everywhere so we have a constant "point of view"? 

No, he doesn't have that.

Superman looks like a human being. And his story is very grounded, he doesn't need a point of view character. Sonic is a completely different deal, he looks nothing like humans and the concept is much more "out there" than Superman. So the GA will need a character whom they can filter all of craziness happening through. (I.e Anthrophomorphic animals and giant robots.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Still don't understand why they can't just make it full fledged animated movie.

It wouldn't be this big, it wouldn't have an impact in my opinion. Or maybe they can't afford it to be fully CGI with the world and stuff?

My main complaint for this is the name... Tom sounds so bland, they could have taken something that is a reference to Sonic material, Tom sounds boring, hopefully the character isn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Superman looks like a human being. And his story is very grounded, he doesn't need a point of view character. Sonic is a completely different deal, he looks nothing like humans and the concept is much more "out there" than Superman. So the GA will need a character whom they can filter all of craziness happening through. (I.e Anthrophomorphic animals and giant robots.)

You do realize that people care more about a character than just what they look like, correct? And Superman is a grounded story? Right, the man who is invincible to everything but magic, flies, fires lasers out of his eyes and stops alien techno-man is a grounded story compared to talking hedgehog who runs fast.

I wasn't aware Zootopia which handled messages of racism also had random human character in the story for us to relate to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Where did you get it’s $90 million?

I've seen that in the 2 articles i checked into from the past  couple of hours.

https://screenrant.com/sonic-hedgehog-movie-paul-rudd/

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/video_games/ant-man-and-the-wasp-star-paul-rudd-eyed-for-lead-role-in-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-a160956

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Meanwhile people are starting to get excited because Paul Rudd is getting cast, and they have to watch a Sonic movie??? Whaaat.

It says that Paul Rudd is being eyed for the role. That doesn’t confirm if he actually got the role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You do realize that people care more about a character than just what they look like, correct?

In the case of a live action/CG hybrid? Umm, no. I don't think so. Sonic can relate to the GA but he's not a human being and he looks too alien to be POV.  

 

13 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

 And Superman is a grounded story? Right, the man who is invincible to everything but magic, flies, fires lasers out of his eyes and stops alien techno-man is a grounded story compared to talking hedgehog who runs fast.

A blue talking hedgehog who runs really fast, has a best friend who is a Fox and also a mechanic battling a guy shaped like an Egg who wants to rebuild the world in his image? Yes, that concept is a much harder pill to swallow than Superman's story. (Kryptonian whose cells are supercharged by our sun allowing him to do the things he does)

13 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I wasn't aware Zootopia which handled messages of racism also had random human character in the story for us to relate to.

Umm, Zootopia was a CG animated movie set in a world inhibited completely by cartoon animals. Sonic is set in our world with actual human beings. Apples and Oranges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

In the case of a live action/CG hybrid? Umm, no. I don't think so. Sonic can relate to the GA but he's not a human being and he looks too alien to be POV.  

 

A blue talking hedgehog who runs really fast, has a best friend who is a Fox and also a mechanic battling a guy shaped like an Egg who wants to rebuild the world in his image? Yes, that concept is a much harder pill to swallow than Superman's story. (Kryptonian whose cells are supercharged by our sun allowing him to do the things he does)

Umm, Zootopia was a CG animated movie set in a world inhibited completely by cartoon animals. Sonic is set in our world with actual human beings. Apples and Oranges

Shockingly, I'd believe if people were paying to see a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, they're paying to see Sonic the Hedgehog and his cast of characters. Not Tom the Random Human Cop who's a lead character working alongside Sonic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Umm, Zootopia was a CG animated movie set in a world inhibited completely by cartoon animals. Sonic is set in our world with actual human beings. Apples and Oranges

Well, not with Sonic games as of late...*CoughFORCES!*Cough... 

Sega: Sonic Boom? Whuzzat?! (Looks around nervously)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FFWF said:

No, you guys don't understand.  We should definitely change Sonic into something which it isn't in order to chase people who don't like the series, even if it costs us the people who do like the series!  So long as it's Sonic in name only, it's a triumph for the franchise!

I told you guys this kind of stuff was coming. I told you that this movie would have to appeal to a wider audience  and it's already starting to show. That's why they want a human POV character and an A-list star like Rudd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The topic’s current title reminds me of something way back in the day when I was posting this sonic fanfiction full of domestic violence and bizzare details like Sonic finding a bag of Doritos in Labyrinth Zone. People were comparing it to COPS, and notably someone posted Silver finding a can of tuna on Planet Wisp. Now wondering if Tom might make the jump to IDW Sonic comics... 

 

And is his name a reference to Tom Kalinske? The marketing guy who made Sonic big in the first place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Well, not with Sonic games as of late...*CoughFORCES!*Cough... 

Sega: Sonic Boom? Whuzzat?! (Looks around nervously)

Sonic Adventure series, Sonic Unleashed, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic comics, Sonic X ect. So it's not like having humans is a new concept to the franchise 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It worked in Transformers and TMNT.

Are you seriously giving these movies as examples on how to make a live-action/CG movie? You do know that these movies were pretty much panned reception-wise, right? Sure, financially they succeeded, but they're still not great movies, not by a long shot.

37 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

And yeah, this is because of the direction they'e chosen to go.

Well then it's a stupid direction IMO. Again, when there's a "lead character" (one of many as you said) that's a human in a movie where the main star is considered characters from cartoons or, in this instance, Sonic, most of the time it will focus too much on humans and not enough on the actual main characters. Transformers was more focused on Shia LaBeouf, and not Transformers. TMNT? I don't really remember the movie (haven't watched it in some time now), but from what I do remember is turtles weren't given enough attention.

And if you're gonna focus more on a human character, then just rename the movie altogether, cuz at least the expectations would be in the right place (though "Tom The Sonic's buddy" would still be a stupid name tbh).

Anyway, I don't think there's much to speculate, cuz again, we know barely anything about the movie and we'll probably not get any sizeable info till 2019. So I'll just wait for a trailer

Quote

I told you that this movie would have to appeal to a wider audience  and it's already starting to show. That's why they want a human POV character and an A-list star like Rudd. 

I know it's gonna be completely different types of entertainment, but you know what also tried to appeal to a wider audience? Forces. You know how that turned out to be.

The point is, trying to appeal the wider audience doesn't make it automatically good. Hell, a lot of the time it makes it worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PeterPancake said:

I told you guys this kind of stuff was coming. I told you that this movie would have to appeal to a wider audience  and it's already starting to show. That's why they want a human POV character and an A-list star like Rudd. 

Yes, because this is going to appeal to so many people.

People really did love the Smurfs...that's why it's mocked hard and they had to reboot into a failed fully-CGI animated film. That's why the Alvin movies are some of the worst animated adaptions ever. That's why Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles currently has no third sequel planned and the second movie is mocked for trying to do something with the 80s versions of the Turtles only to ruin it, that's why Woody Woodpecker has become a place for full-on mocking this year due to his movie, and that's why every single time they try to throw in some random main human character to upstage the character people actually paid to see, it's mocked and panned constantly. Because it just appeals so incredibly well to general audiences. 

I mean, here I thought the general idea is that Sonic - being one of the most popular fanbases around would attract audiences to actually see a movie about him and his world, but no, we need random human man with a gun to try appeal to us because he's human and well that's all you need for an appealing character. Character development, weaknesses, arcs, personality, that doesn't appeal to us at all, it's all about if they just happen to look like us. 

They can attempt to appeal to a wider audience all they want, but when you show an obvious lack of faith in your main character who has remained popular for 20+ years and feel like you need to throw in a random A-List celeb to try catch more people, then that's a clear definitive sign that this movie is going to absolutely suck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the Michael Bay TMNT movies might have made enough money... But everybody still laughs at how awful they are. To this day most people even non-TMNT fans still HATE the turtles designs from that movie and use it as a ref for terrible movie design versions of cartoons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.