Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

According to the article, the budget of the movie will cost $90 million. So, I guess that a lot of money that they will spend on filming, editing, special effects and more.

Oh, might be unrelated, Paul did an Nintendo commercial back in 1991.

Also, you can check out his latest movie that he did so far which will be out this July.:

21 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The original writer for the script said the script was being written for an intended PG-13 rating. This was future accented when they got Deadpool's Tim Miller and Fast and Furious' Neal H. Moritz. Most of the rewrites of that pitch was to add even more action. So there is no reason to expect this movie to be another Alvin, Smurfs or Yogi Bear 

That’s not an outright confirmation of its rating and/or tone. And even if it is action packed seriousness, so was the Mario movie. Action =\= automatically good or safe from worry 

also good actors don’t equal quality product either 

24 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Paul Rudd eh? I’m only really familiar with him from playing Mike in ‘Friends’. He was decent in that.

The whole cop thing has me very confused though. 

They wear blue

10 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Sonic confirmed for Avengers 4

• Chuckle 2

26 minutes ago, KHCast said:

That’s not an outright confirmation of its rating and/or tone. And even if it is action packed seriousness, so was the Mario movie. Action =\= automatically good or safe from worry 

also good actors don’t equal quality product either 

Well, it's not an outright confirmation but it's pretty close to it as the writing is one of the vital aspects of a film. I'm sure there are moments in the script that could earn the movie a PG-13 rating.

In every case, no. But it equals faith and confidence in your product which is always a good thing.

Huh, changing a family franchise into a vain attempt at being an adult property while throwing in a human character nobody is interested in and having lines/jokes possibly catering to a teenage audience. I wonder if that reminds anyone of a shitty franchise that is mocked routinely...

TF2SteelPoster.jpg

Oh

And for the record, being "adult, edgy and PG-13" doesn't = quality writing. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Pretty sure there are posts in this topic itself, from Van himself, elaborating that the PG 13 angle wasn't in favor of crude jokes, edgy writing, or the like. He tried to assure people that wasn't the case, at least.

The movie does have new writers on board now, with a new script, though, sooo... :L

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, The Deleter said:

Pretty sure there are posts in this topic itself, from Van himself, elaborating that the PG 13 angle wasn't in favor of crude jokes, edgy writing, or the like. He tried to assure people that wasn't the case, at least.

The movie does have new writers on board now, with a new script, though, sooo... :L

I don't know then, like it seems to me you need to really be trying and/or grasping in an attempt to get a PG-13 for a Sonic movie of all things, as in Transformers levels of crude jokes, edgy writing and the like. Either way, the point remains, having a "PG-13" script isn't indicative of quality.

9 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

PG-13 could mean a couple of things. For one, I think the stakes will be played seriously. As in people actually dying and Eggman being an actual threat to the planet. The action being more intense etc. And I think with Tim Miller onboard and Patrick Casey's writing credits, there probably will be more crude humor  and edgy jokes than Van's original script which was retooled and enhanced as opposed to completely rewritten (which is a normal part of the production proccess)

34 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I don't know then, like it seems to me you need to really be trying and/or grasping in an attempt to get a PG-13 for a Sonic movie of all things, as in Transformers levels of crude jokes, edgy writing and the like. Either way, the point remains, having a "PG-13" script isn't indicative of quality.

Well from the start of the reveal that this was a live action movie, and between Van's emphasis on action in the script, the Fast and Furious crew being brought on board, and Marzda's previous animation for the series, at the very least I'm expecting some absolutely wild action scenes from the movie. That's pretty much all I'm bringing myself to hope for, honestly, lol

4PM10mL.gif

Like I don't care much about series accuracy, the amount of characters, or anything like that for this specifically, I just want to see Sonic do cool stuff on the big screen, and have other people see cool Sonic stuff on the big screen

It not being horrible would be a plus though :V

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Well from the start of the reveal that this was a live action movie, and between Van's emphasis on action in the script, the Fast and Furious crew being brought on board, and Marzda's previous animation for the series, at the very least I'm expecting some absolutely wild action scenes from the movie. That's pretty much all I'm bringing myself to hope for, honestly, lol

4PM10mL.gif

Like I don't care much about series accuracy, the amount of characters, or anything like that for this specifically, I just want to see Sonic do cool stuff on the big screen, and have other people see cool Sonic stuff on the big screen

It not being horrible would be a plus though :V

Unfortunately, that I have to disagree on. Like yeah, I want to see Sonic doing cool stuff on the big screen, but that's because that's something to be expected from a good movie, something with good ideas and good execution, I shouldn't have to go in with a neutered expectation of "well this is going to be complete and utter shit but there might one or two cool action scenes...?". If anything, that'd probably make me hate the movie even more because I'd end up seeing a ton of potential that could've worked and could've made an honest to goodness great Sonic flick if they actually had enough faith to let Sonic as a series, world, and story flow instead of needing to implement random nonsense in a vain attempt at being appealing, I'd rather have a good movie that stands true to the series as opposed to a bad movie that tries to go as far away from the series in sheer embarrassment so they can appeal to more people.

Even the concept of appealing to more people is kind of confusing me. Like, Sonic is one of the most popular modern gaming icons to younger fans, to the point he's one of the very few game characters you can find merchandise and clothing in supermarkets and the like , I really really think you're underestimating his staying-power if you believe "Tom the Cop" will be the headliner for the movie as opposed to Sonic himself. I want to see Sonic do cool stuff, but that's it. It's me wanting to see Sonic himself at the limelight, his world, his cast, his series. It's named Sonic the Hedgehog, not Tom the Cop. I'm going to the movie to see Sonic the Hedgehog, not to see random cop man who's going to be funny high-end celeb who probably won't even be that memorable by the end of the movie. If anything, I'd say seeing Sonic do cool things on the big screen should literally be a pre-requisite, not something you let the movie sail pass on.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Chuckle 1

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Yes they will. You're confusing brand recognizability with audience perception and Box-office gross which Sonic fans will make up less than a quarter of. 

You'e right, going the former roger Rabbit route where Sonic and other animals existing in the world is a fact of the universe was possible. But going the latter route is an easier pill for the GA to swallow and for that to work, we need a human POV for the audience to see through his eyes

Plenty of successful stories (more successful than Sonic's actually) have superpower elements be established on Earth or whereever without resorting to obvious shoehorned audience surrogates or forced alternate worlds. Sonic itself had this be the case from Genesis to Adventure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Critics are left speechless at the new movie, "Sonic the Hedgehog Meets Tom the Human".

The New York Times raves, "...What?"

• Chuckle 2

You know what the first thing to come to mind when I saw this subtitle was? ...Okay, besides this being an unexpected crossover with Tom & Jerry and Bonkers?

Why is Tom a cop and not a soldier?

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

On the one hand I liked Paul Rudd in Ant-Man. On the other teaming Sonic up with a cop is really dumb.

Yes, yes it is.

5 hours ago, JingleBoy said:

I will say one thing though, they should get Karen Gillan for this movie. Apparently she grew up with the classic Sonic games and she even follows the Sonic twitter account.

Oh wow, that sounds good! You know who else was a big fan of the series?

Spoiler

5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I'm willing to bet we'll definitely get a badass chase sequence between Sonic and the Cops. In fact, this may be how Rudd meets Sonic

5 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Eh. Does it have to be a buddy-cop role tho? Couldn't this go the "Sam Speed" route and this guy be the one tasked with bringing the blue vigilante in for justice? I'd much prefer that. I'd rather see Sonic antagonizing police than riding shotgun in a squad car lol.

Honestly, I kinda hope that's the type of thing they're going for.

4 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Seriously, this might just end up beating the Super Mario Bros. Movie as the worst video game movie of all time. Although it wouldn't be the first time Sonic came second place to Mario.

D'uh, wouldn't that be first place? 

4 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The writers already confirmed this movie won't be like this Smurfs or Alvin where Sonic helps a random guy with his personal issues. This is a PG-13 movie focused on action. And as far as we know, Sonic is still the main character. I dont understand all of the worrying and hate of this movie. 

You know, if it wasn't for the focused on action part, I'd think that Cream and Cheese were gonna be in the movie as well.

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

For laughs.

Who the heck are those at Sonic's Super Sneakers?

40 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Why is Tom a cop and not a soldier?

Well.. there's less reason for an off-duty soldier to be running around a city doing soldier things than a police officer just being a police officer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

I love how the people doing this type of movies justify deviating from the source material under the excuse of "but we need to appeal to a wider audience".

Would feel much less offended if they were sincere and just say that they don't have faith in the source material.

Which would beg the question of why the hell they are making a Sonic film in the first place. You don't make a film based on a property if you don't think the property itself is good enough for the silver screen as it is. If you do so anyway then you need to put a lot of effort into making it at least unique; reaching for the most boilerplate plot/casting choices of this particular genre tells me the opposite.

That aside, I can't say I'm surprised about a human protagonist being considered; or that people are defending it on the aforementioned "wider audience appeal" excuse. Gee, that actually sounds very damningly familiar to a recent Sonic project...*cough*"We don't want speed in a Sonic game"*cough*

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay lets not forget who are in charge of the movie. Which are the guys behind Shadow's and Sonic 2006's CG cutscenes which includes some of each games stories. Now the story in Shadow was very complex and was foreshadowed (joke intended) in Sonic Heroes, but only the hero story in Shadow is canon. Even with that I still remain optimistic about the film, I mean it can't be worse than Sonic X. If anything it would probably be loosely based on both Adventure games, but that'd be to predictable but as there is a film series going on I could see a trilogy going on like part 1 based around the adventure games, part 2 based around Shadow and rush and part 3 based around Forces with parts 1 and 2 setting up events about to take place in the 3rd movie. But as for the film attracting a larger audience, with some of you using Forces as an example, Forces in my opinion turned for the better. Not a complete Shadow direction, but the story was what the series needed despite certain plot holes like duplicate Shadow and Chaos not being as powerful as the originals even though they were described like that (also not to mention cutscenes being replaced with on map conversations which became annoying especially in Episode Shadow and a Infinite boss fight with Shadow and Classic Sonic would've been nice too), but Metal and Zavok were just as powerful. But the story and the inclusion of Infinite is way better than what happened with Lost World.

But when it comes to Sonic, anything is expected, from rocket propeller trucks, colossal creatures, time travel, rival battles  and so on. All of this and more can happen in this movie and its successor films. Plus its Marza and Blur who have animated Sonic rather well and probably won't stray to far from the Sonic we all know. As for voice cast, as much as like the current voice cast as improved as it is now. I just don't think some of them will fit, as I still prefer Shadows and Sonic's voice from 2006 and unleashed. But no one can replace the current voice of Eggman, but do Not make Eggman 2006 in this film, I'd rather Shadow 2005 Eggman than that. Plus that's probably how the film would be like is Shadow, with the Sonic cast and humans co-existing plus Eggman looking like his normal self. I would say the film would be more like 2006, but Shadow is more likely.

As for characters though we need at least maybe 10 characters Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Amy, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot, Shadow, Metal and Chaos in the first film. Then in the following films introduce Silver, Blaze, the chaotix, Rouge and Infinite.

As for the Ant-Man guy being in the film,that could be interesting, but for some reason I think the partnership between the cop and Sonic feels to me like the partnership between Batman and Commisioner Gordon in the Batman movies and series.

Now as for CG live action movies, which is clearly what Sonic is. There are very few that are actually any good like the Spongebob movies, Garfield is still up for debate but doesn't focus too much attention on the humans. Now Garfield is more enjoyable to me than the Alvin movies, mostly because the Alvin movies resonate to me as kind of musicals and are kind of more of a dumb tone to me especially the 3rd one, same goes for Yogi Bear. Now I used to enjoy the Theatrical Scooby Doo movies, but now I see them as monstrosities (joke intended), because Scooby Doo as well as the main characters don't match up, however Shaggy's actor in those films did eventully become the current voice actor for the character.

As for the film being edgy, it could be a little edgy but not Shadow or Forces edgy at first but later on like the middle to the end of the film would be better. But as its focusing on Sonic I suspect his usual sarcastic type humor would be placed throughout. Anyways, I have high hopes for this film. Plus this film would've already released and we would've already seen trailers if Sony didn't green-light the worst performing movie in existence, the emoji movie.

I could almost guarantee that Shadow won't be in the movie. His popularity makes him an easy target for sequel bait.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

For me personally, this just went from "maybe it'll be alright" to an instant train wreck. I can't say I wasn't expecting this, what with the live action component and all, but I was hoping SEGA wouldn't be so foolish as to green light such a travesty. No one wants this, don't do it, SEGA. Kill it right now and cut your losses, don't make Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric The Movie. Seriously, this might just end up beating the Super Mario Bros. Movie as the worst video game movie of all time. Although it wouldn't be the first time Sonic came second place to Mario.

The Legend of Chun-Li already beat the Mario movie.

21 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I could almost guarantee that Shadow won't be in the movie. His popularity makes him an easy target for sequel bait.

Yup. Plus Chaotix team. And in Part 3, I think they should bring in Silver and Blaze

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, that means no faith in this movie then. I'd be surprised if Rudd took the job, the film would probably destroy his career if he ever accepted it. 

This movie will make the Power Rangers film or Last Jedi look like a masterpiece.

I really can't make a judgement myself until I see a trailer, which I'm definitely going to check out as soon as one drops.

And I keep seeing TMNT popping up in a negative light... and I actually really liked the 2014 live action/CGI Ninja Turtles movie. It was waayyy better than I was expecting it to be after I saw the entire internet complaining about it - I didn't agree that the turtles got the short end of the stick with regards to screen time or being the main focus AT ALL. The sequel, though... yeah, I wasn't a fan. At all. xD

• Thumbs Up 1

“Oh No”-Knuckles & Sonic

You could have done the night o the Werehog-styled CG film but nooo...Gotta uses what is the most accessible and cheap..

• Thumbs Up 1

It seem that we got an cinematographer working on the movie. His name is Stephen Windon, he seem to previously worked on Star Trek: Beyond and The Fate of the Furious. Also, the article mention the recent news about Paul Rudd.

https://omegaunderground.com/2018/05/29/sonic-movie-lands-star-trek-beyond-and-fate-of-the-furious-cinematographer-paul-rudd-in-talks/

Since, the movie will have some cop related things, I decided created this picture. Enjoy!

sonic_car_chase_by_kitsuoi-dccy119.thumb.jpg.629dc0e7cbd39de3a48e6cf2f27f597e.jpg

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Who the heck are those at Sonic's Super Sneakers?

Oh, I think these are main characters from Golan the Insatiable. By the way the Sonic movie writers created the show.

golan-the-insatiable.jpg?w=1000&h=563&cr

• Thumbs Up 1